Tyson Barrie Discussion

Dragao6

Dec 25, 2013
Ontario, Canada
View attachment 260215

This fits under an 84.5 cap. Just an example. I’m not necessarily sold on those 2 d.

There are tons of options.

From looking at this the biggest thing is to hold Sandin back.

We can’t have Sandin lilly Rielly all coming up in the same year
This post is fine and what I think we can do but I'd rather a good defender then a Barrie and barries rumored contract will be more then that so yah

Also shows how important cheap defenders on entry level deals are to our cap situation so yah get that 1st rounder

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Oh but I do understand hence why I'd love for a push for pietriangelo.
I understand that everyone is on the band wagon for THIS YEAR but I hate that. I thought the plan was to create a consistent contender which is what I'm looking at in my idea. I dont want to push again this year and if we fall flat again we are back to the beginning next year with our defence

Yet somehow you think we can't go for it this year... and then sign the best D long-term that is available in the offseason? We can do both... it's not hard.

Reactions: kb

kb

Aug 28, 2009
Well rumour of INITIAL 8Mx8 contract he wants. He is very good and on this team will get ALLOT of points this year which makes his return at 2.5M cap hit huge at deadline but hes asking 8 and then rielly will get more then him in 3 years were done. Rielly is allot better then Barrie in terms of over all and if leafs need to invest money on defence I think is has to go to good defending reliable defenders, offensive guys with our forwards aren't a huge need
Puck moving D are always a need. You currently have 2 elite ones on different pairings. To match up with our 2 elite first lines.

When everyone is healthy, the third line is Mikheyev-Kerfoot-Kapanen, and the third pairing is Sandin-Dermott.

Why would any team break that up for draft picks? C'mon..... seriously?

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
This post is fine and what I think we can do but I'd rather a good defender then a Barrie and barries rumored contract will be more then that so yah

Also shows how important cheap defenders on entry level deals are to our cap situation so yah get that 1st rounder

Barries own ask was 8 mill in the summer. 7.5 is about fine.

Then you can take .2 off muzzin or sign one of about 10 ufa d for cheaper.

Or you can make a trade with a team with a little bit of retention.

The leafs have options. That’s the point

Wait you think. His ask is going to go up? With PP2 minutes?

You do realize he was the QB for the team that got the MOST pp in the league right?

Even if he got pp1 here. He would still get about 30 less chances minimum by playing in TO

MJ65

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
Tyson Barrie is a RHD who is great at transitioning the puck. He is the best RHD we had in a long time (I don't even remember if we ever had a good mobile "D" on our right side . Pairing on the other side of Muzzin is beneficial to Barrie as Muzzin can cover up his deficiencies. on the other hand we have Ceci / Rielly pairing. Hopefully once Dermott is back, Babcock move Ceci to a 3rd pairing and that give us pretty steady defensive pairings (with bottom pairing getting sheltered minutes). Barrie isn't without his faults and he is going to make mistakes but with in our line up give us more options to improve our PP plus creating more offense at ES. Having said that I would still be hesitant to pay him $8 M, I would rather resign Muzzin for sure and would only sign Barrie if he is willing to sign for $6.5 - $7 millions

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005
If Friedman is to be believed and they are discussing and 84.5 cap. Trading AJ would leave 13.5 for 2d

Plenty of room for one of Josi or pie. And a cheaper option

Or both Barrie And muzzin.

Its almost like they planned for this

But I'm rather fond of AJ...and he was easy to deal with in negotiations.

Dragao6

Dec 25, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Barries own ask was 8 mill in the summer. 7.5 is about fine.

Then you can take .2 off muzzin or sign one of about 10 ufa d for cheaper.

Or you can make a trade with a team with a little bit of retention.

The leafs have options. That’s the point

Wait you think. His ask is going to go up? With PP2 minutes?

You do realize he was the QB for the team that got the MOST pp in the league right?

Even if he got pp1 here. He would still get about 30 less chances minimum by playing in TO
So how many points do you think hes gonna get this year? He got a good start yesterday.

And then ask yourself how big of a contract will a defender with those points will demand?

So his ask was 8 so DUBAS is gonna work him down to 7.5? Lol

Reactions: Stamkos4life

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Puck moving D are always a need. You currently have 2 elite ones on different pairings. To match up with our 2 elite first lines.

When everyone is healthy, the third line is Mikheyev-Kerfoot-Kapanen, and the third pairing is Sandin-Dermott.

Say the Leafs won the Cup last season, I can see the reasons behind trading out pending UFAs for picks. But the Leafs have not even won a round in playoffs. Honestly, if you got JT, Matthews, Marner, Willie, Kerfoot, Kap, AJ, Hyman, Spezza, Reilly, Barrie, Muzzin and Anderson, as long as they are healthy, you go for it. It really comes down to the same old question, would you rather win a Cup and a playoff team for the next 10 years or always have a great team but never winning a Cup.

Dragao6

Dec 25, 2013
Ontario, Canada

Well have to waite and see in the playoffs then.

And see what is left next year

kb

Aug 28, 2009
So how many points do you think hes gonna get this year? He got a good start yesterday.

And then ask yourself how big of a contract will a defender with those points will demand?

Dubas' job is easier. Either you take what the Leafs offer, or you walk. I don't think you understand how UFAs work. Gardiner isn't here, so he let him go for his reported ask.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006

Pts 55-65.

If you think he is going to get dramatically more points going from playing 5 on 5 and pp with mackinnon. Rantanen landeskog

To 5 on 5 with Hyman Tavares marner and pp with who? Spezza? Nylander? Kapanen?

Dubas has overpaid 1 player. When the market wasn’t set.

We are fine.

kb

Aug 28, 2009
Well have to waite and see in the playoffs then.

And see what is left next year
If Barrie walks, they can go after AP.

Any problems with that? You don't trade away a sure thing for magic beans 4 years down the road. You hurt this year without improving your chances for many years, if at all.

kb

Aug 28, 2009
Pts 55-65.

If you think he is going to get dramatically more points going from playing 5 on 5 and pp with mackinnon. Rantanen landeskog

We are fine.
I enjoy posters who get it. Thanks.

Dragao6

Dec 25, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Dubas' job is easier. Either you take what the Leafs offer, or you walk. I don't think you understand how UFAs work. Gardiner isn't here, so he let him go for his reported ask.
Just like he did with the extensions? Putting us in this situation???

No Gardiner isn't here (and he waited till last second) because our current situation with marner pending didn't allow it

Dragao6

Dec 25, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Pts 55-65.

We are fine.
Yes...Barrie will get more then that I do believe and you must be dubas if ur saying he only overpaid 1 player haha

kb

Aug 28, 2009
Just like he did with the extensions? Putting us in this situation???

No Gardiner isn't here (and he waited till last second) because our current situation with marner pending didn't allow it
Name a UFA he has overpaid.

Go.

kb

Aug 28, 2009
Yes...Barrie will get more then that I do believe and you must be dubas if ur saying he only overpaid 1 player haha
He only truly overpaid Marner. The fact people think that RFA and UFA negotiations are the same shows how little they know.

kb

Aug 28, 2009
U sign Barrie and or even Alex pietriangelo and we always heavily rely on entry level players or minimum contracts to fill the roster
It sucks having great players, doesn't it?

Newsflash. When the Leafs finished last, they also spent to the cap.

Please be smarter.

kb

Aug 28, 2009
I'm talking our kids extensions which is the number 1 reason we are in this mess
Yes, that $2 to $2.5 million overpay will haunt the Leafs for an eternity.

But hey, Zaitsev was overpaid by that much himself for 7 years......no worries right? Marleau killing the cap.....no issues, right?

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006

Feel free to check the historical comparables.

Worst case we have 10-13 million to spend on 2 d.
With about 10 going into ufa.

There are worse thing s

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad