Tyson Barrie Discussion

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Time to move him. Whatever success they have had so far this year has nothing to do with him. He needs a reset and they don't need to wait until the TDL to give it to him.
I would hold for a bit. Something is wrong here. Really wrong. I can't quite totally put my finger on it but I am going to ask around on Saturday night when I go down to game.

Teeder Keon

Defeat does not rest lightly on their shoulders
Mar 11, 2019
Deep in the Purple jungles of BC
We Desperately require a big tough agile stay at home 1st line right handed D man
Now how to acquire that specimen is certainly beyond my realm
I don’t mean Muzzin

Cc not the answer
Barrie not the answer
Great try on Dubas end with what he had at the time to work with ..

Also need to move Dermott up from 3rd pairing
It’s time

On a side bar kinda related
I’m still happier to have Ker Plunk lol than Kadri and I think his value will increase in the playoffs

Last edited:
Reactions: JT AM da real deal

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Desperately require a big tough agile stay at home 1st line right handed D man
I don’t mean Muzzin

Cc not the answer
Barrie not the answer
Great try on Dubas end with what he had at the time to work with ..

Also need to move Dermott up from 3rd pairing
It’s time

mom a side bar kinda related
I’m still happier to have Ker Plunk lol than Kadri and I think his value will increase in the playoffs
We need that guy but that guy is a high priced guy. Weber types are really expensive. I can't see how we can afford that kinda guy with CAP I mean we could easily afford anyone in league but with CAP I mean.

Blanche Blanche

Torontoooooo
Dec 2, 2017
Toronto
I think he's been better the past 2 games. Looking much more confident on the puck.

Maybe this is the slow start of things turning around

Yeah hes adjusting.

He was literally the backbone of the Avs breakout as a 5 man unit. A very good offensive team.

Hes use to having 4 players looking for outlets while simultaneously drawing an open lane for Barrie to skate his way through the O zone. He was the QB. Literally.

Its not his fault Babs system is this low IQ perimeter chip and chase and only forward passes.

Hes listening to Babs. And thats the problem.

And what is our coach known for if not stifling the creativity of players

likecheese

Oct 21, 2019
It's Babcocks fault that, with all the other dmen trying to force the play offensively, he looks left behind. Or that he can't spot a wide open player 15 feet beside him. Or that he has an open lane and mishandles the puck right off. Or shooting a floating one-timer from just inside the blue line on a 5-on-3. The guy's been hot garbage and it's nothing to do with Babcock, he needs to get his head out of his ***.

TheShape

Oct 25, 2018
Yeah hes adjusting.

He was literally the backbone of the Avs breakout as a 5 man unit. A very good offensive team.

Hes use to having 4 players looking for outlets while simultaneously drawing an open lane for Barrie to skate his way through the O zone. He was the QB. Literally.

Its not his fault Babs system is this low IQ perimeter chip and chase and only forward passes.

Bang on. It’s incredible some people can’t grasp this. Ray Ferraro said something along the lines of Babcock taking Barrie’s toolbox and throwing out half the tools so what are you left with. Barrie is shackled and not allowed to express himself as the player that he is.

This trade is going to end up being Kadri for Kerfoot with a $1m savings on the cap. Barrie has been totally wasted.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
It's Babcocks fault that, with all the other dmen trying to force the play offensively, he looks left behind. Or that he can't spot a wide open player 15 feet beside him. Or that he has an open lane and mishandles the puck right off. Or shooting a floating one-timer from just inside the blue line on a 5-on-3. The guy's been hot garbage and it's nothing to do with Babcock, he needs to get his head out of his ***.
All you need to do is watch the game video of virtually any Avs playoff game last year and you will see a completely different Barrie. As poster above said he was the QB of the breakout. He controlled the puck, skated it up and did what he wanted. Everyone else followed suit. It opened up skating lanes and maximized his main strength. After you have watched one game then come back on here and explain to everyone else who has watched it how the hell this can happen to a player in a short few months. He is still young. He is in a contract year. He can still fly. This is NOT an aging vet whose wheels are coming off.
With Leafs now he is one of the passing options he is not the QB deciding who and when the puck goes to someone else. So you are seeing a guy who is not the greatest positional player and who is not the greatest passer of the puck trying to fit into Babs system. Or you are seeing a guy who has been told by babs you are not allowed to carry puck up and decide where to move the puck. You stay in your spot and take and receive a pass.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Yeah hes adjusting.

He is absolutely not cut out for this system.

Babcock is not even a fan of controlled entries into the offensive zone as is. Stretch pass into dump and chase is the name of Babcock's game. Barrie's main strengths happen to be the exact same things that Babcock hates.

If this was the case too, wtf was management thinking bringing a guy like this in when they know full-well Babcock won't cooperate with it?

As poster above said he was the QB of the breakout. He controlled the puck, skated it up and did what he wanted. Everyone else followed suit. It opened up skating lanes and maximized his main strength
That's the thing though. Those methods are way too high-risk for Babcock's liking. He hates the turnovers that are associated with controlled zone entries with your defensemen joining the rush.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018

Babcock is not even a fan of controlled entries into the offensive zone as is. Stretch pass into dump and chase is the name of Babcock's game. Barrie's main strengths happen to be the exact same things that Babcock hates.

If this was the case too, wtf was management thinking bringing a guy like this in when they know full-well Babcock won't cooperate with it?

That's the thing though. Those methods are way too high-risk for Babcock's liking. He hates the turnovers that are associated with controlled zone entries with your defensemen joining the rush.
You are 100% bang on. But I suggest maybe Dubie already knew this and maybe Barrie is Dubie's way to get our 1st round pick back. We don't know what Dubie is thinking. or maybe Dubie thinks Babs might be gone and Keefe will run with a new system.

likecheese

Oct 21, 2019
With Leafs now he is one of the passing options he is not the QB deciding who and when the puck goes to someone else. So you are seeing a guy who is not the greatest positional player and who is not the greatest passer of the puck trying to fit into Babs system. Or you are seeing a guy who has been told by babs you are not allowed to carry puck up and decide where to move the puck. You stay in your spot and take and receive a pass.
How is he not being allowed to carry the puck up ice when even Jake Muzzin is carrying the puck up ice. Muzzin is moving the play, Muzzin is moving to the net on a scrum looking for a rebound, etc. And he's the stay-at-home guy. Barrie is just not executing, he looks totally indifferent and clued-out, he's missing open guys all over the ice and he's handling the puck like a grenade. It's up to him to get his own act together if he wants to make any money next year.

Reactions: DavePoulin4PM

Duffman955

Mar 4, 2010
Had anyone seen him make a single good play in the offensive zone?

If hes gonna e a dumpster fire in his own zone, I expect to not be a dumpster fire in the O-zone.

I told everyone on the board that he sucks. Too bad nobody watches any games outside of Leafs.

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
Had anyone seen him make a single good play in the offensive zone?

If hes gonna e a dumpster fire in his own zone, I expect to not be a dumpster fire in the O-zone.

I told everyone on the board that he sucks. Too bad nobody watches any games outside of Leafs.

What's Calle Rosen up to these days?

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK

I disagree - if Morgan Rielly could excel in this system, then Barrie can too.

They are pretty similar players.

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey
You are 100% bang on. But I suggest maybe Dubie already knew this and maybe Barrie is Dubie's way to get our 1st round pick back. We don't know what Dubie is thinking. or maybe Dubie thinks Babs might be gone and Keefe will run with a new system.
I hope so. Honestly I like Barrie's skill set and what he can do. Seen him play for years. It's a shame it's still taking time for him but I'm willing to wait the only downside is time is not on our side. He's a pending UFA. If he can increase his value here going forward maybe a team picks him up for a first.

I just don't feel a team would give up a first for him with his contract status, etc. Second reason, he's an RD, one we've been searching for so long. I think it'd be better to keep him as an "own rental" for our playoff run.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
It's not like he was an up and comer projected to take a big step forward, or only had one big season beforehand. Barrie has 5 seasons of 10+ goals, four 40+ seasons, and three 50+ point seasons ... That doesn't happen by accident or being a bad d-man.

The offensive ability is there he just hasn't fit within the system yet. Defensively he was always going to be meh at best. I haven't had too big of an issue with his defensive play though. He's just not rushing as I'd expect him to. I also haven't seen his transition play on display, which was a strength with the Av's. I wonder if that has to do with the Leafs general struggles early in the season.

My biggest gripe is the lack of quality shots from the blue line. I know he has a decent clapper and clearly can hit the net. He just can't seem to get opportunities or anything through.

Teeder Keon

Defeat does not rest lightly on their shoulders
Mar 11, 2019
Deep in the Purple jungles of BC
Barrie’s thread and post got me thinking ????

Observing his play thus far and looking at his stats and how the team is doing ..
My biggest take on our Leafs is that from here until the end of the year and into next year ...
We must ***** MUST fix our blue line

here’s what I see
We have
Rielly , have to sign him long term
Dermott , have to sign him long term
Holl , keep him on a wait and see
Barrie , got to go big time (Age, ability,cost )
Ceci , gone ( all accounts and more )
Muzzin , gone ( age , mobility , cost )
Lily wait and see
Sandin , sign him up long term

so we have
Need to keep
Rielly
Dermott
Sandin

????
Holl
Lily

anyone else
??
So in my opinion our biggest challenge is finding 3 NHL D men and of those 2 upper tier ones or 1 top notch and 2 serviceable ones to match our talent up front.

tradable chips
AJ
Kk
Moore
Goat
Tima
Ceci
Barrie
Muzz
And keep filling in our forward lines from within the organization .

_______ AM WN
Hyman JT MM
_______ Footy Soup
_______ _______ _____

Rielly ______
Dermott ______
Sandin _______

Last edited:

ottawah

Jan 7, 2011
We Desperately require a big tough agile stay at home 1st line right handed D man

Pretty much every team in the league wants one. How about providing a list of said player. I think you will find it very few and far between. Might be half a dozen at most in the NHL fitting that description.

Reactions: Teeder Keon

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->