Typical 2008 draft question

Debrincat93

Dec 4, 2002
Michigan
Nhl.com
Ok here it is..

im lazy but im sure its oging to be asked again so im not to worried.

Is there any franchise players in next years draft?

this year you got elite kids like Kane, Voracek, ect.. but no EJ's or JJ's or Sids..

Does next year contain some?

Debrincat93

Dec 4, 2002
Michigan
Nhl.com
interesting.. i totally forgot abour stamkos.. i knew about doughty but i didnt know how good he would be or what not, i dont know enough about this years draft yet let alone next years

Moseph

Jan 22, 2007
I don't have a vast knowledge of the players in this draft but I can offer a little insight from what I have seen and from what i read in the THN future watch.

Stamkos looks to be a franchise forward and he is the early number one, not that it generally means much.

Doughty looks to be a possible franchise defenseman, he's 6' with room to grow and he's an incredible skater from what I've seen.

Another possible franchise defenseman is Colten Teubert, who some scouts have compared to Pronger according to THN.

I don't think I've seen Jimmy Hayes play but this quote from THN caught my eye, "Some say the big winger is already better than highly touted 2007 prospect James VanRiemsdyk." VanRiemsdyk is projected to be a first liner so I imagine this guy has a pretty high potential too. From what I understand he's a power forward too.

Tinalera

Feb 3, 2007
The Known Universe
I'm thinking it depends on what the team that picks first in 08 wants-if they need a D man, Doughty will go first, if they want a forward, Stamkos will go.

Unless someone this year totally picks up their game and makes waves besides these two next season.

14 months is a long way away, though, so I'm trying to keep it cool(though regardless of where Stamkos goes he'll be for me one of those players I'll follow throughout his career).

Anyone want to take early odds on who gets first pick in 08(based really on 07 performance)?

I'm going to say in the East the candidate is Florida
In the West-It's a tossup between Chicago and St.Louis. (I'm sure they'd love to have A Stamkos,Toews,and Kane in their lineup.)

Last edited:

PuckheadMcGillycuddy

Aug 12, 2002
I don't have a vast knowledge of the players in this draft but I can offer a little insight from what I have seen and from what i read in the THN future watch.

Stamkos looks to be a franchise forward and he is the early number one, not that it generally means much.

Doughty looks to be a possible franchise defenseman, he's 6' with room to grow and he's an incredible skater from what I've seen.

Another possible franchise defenseman is Colten Teubert, who some scouts have compared to Pronger according to THN.

I don't think I've seen Jimmy Hayes play but this quote from THN caught my eye, "Some say the big winger is already better than highly touted 2007 prospect James VanRiemsdyk." VanRiemsdyk is projected to be a first liner so I imagine this guy has a pretty high potential too. From what I understand he's a power forward too.

That THN thing hyped up Teubert way too much. He's very good, but next year is the year of the defenseman. Along with Doughty and Teubert, Alex Pietrangelo, Yann Sauve, Michael Del Zotto, Luke Schenn and Vyacheslav Voinov are all likely first-round picks. And it's possible that Teubert could fall at the end of that septet.

Ferjo

Sep 28, 2004
I'd be surprised if Pietangelo didnt overtake Doughty by the draft as the top defenceman. He's not as good with the puck as Dougthy (though im not sure any one in the chl is), but has much more potential to be a dominant two way d-man. Pietrangelo has what it takes to dominate on and off the puck, where as Doughty while mindblowingly dominant with the puck, is just pretty good off the puck.

and on the topic of defenceman in the first round, don't forget about Zach Bogosian and Tyler Cuma. Both are probably better nhl prospects than Del Zotto, although Del Zotto will put up 100 points from the backend in the OHL.

Judas Tavares

S2S (Sundin2Sandin)
Sponsor
Feb 9, 2007
Other than maybe Stamkos and Boychuk, who are the top flight forwards from the CHL who could go top 10 next year?

Ferjo

Sep 28, 2004
SundintoSteen said:
Other than maybe Stamkos and Boychuk, who are the top flight forwards from the CHL who could go top 10 next year?
Cody Hodgson from Brampton. Built like a tank, impossible to knock off the puck, very creative, and top notch stickhandling ablity. he became more of a two-way player as the year went along.

Greg Nemisz of Windsor can become the player Colton Gillies was expected to be. Big, fast, mean and insanely gifted with the puck, but will have to do some filling out to do before he's considered top flight prospect.

Both surefire first rounders at this point, Hodgson more so than Nemisz, but I dont know about top 10 because i dont know the other leagues 08 prospects well enough

Redwingsfan

Global Moderator
Jul 15, 2006
I'm thinking it depends on what the team that picks first in 08 wants-if they need a D man, Doughty will go first, if they want a forward, Stamkos will go.

Unless someone this year totally picks up their game and makes waves besides these two next season.

14 months is a long way away, though, so I'm trying to keep it cool(though regardless of where Stamkos goes he'll be for me one of those players I'll follow throughout his career).

Anyone want to take early odds on who gets first pick in 08(based really on 07 performance)?

I'm going to say in the East the candidate is Florida
In the West-It's a tossup between Chicago and St.Louis. (I'm sure they'd love to have A Stamkos,Toews,and Kane in their lineup.)

yeah right. picking for need at #1 overall is the right thing to do:shakehead

i will say it again. with an early pick in the draft you pick the BPA. i dont care if the teams has 20 good young d-men. if the BPA is a d-man you pick him. the situation in your team is most likely completely changed in 4-5 years when the player you picked is likely to contribute to your team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->