Prospect Info: Tyler Weiss LW/C (2018 109th overall)

Tommy Shelby

Feb 26, 2012
Not a bad pick for a 4th rounder in the new NHL at all. He's fast, tenacious and skilled enough to be able to make it, he just needs to get way, way stronger.

Maybe he should swap diets with Annunen or something.

Edit: The college route is exactly what he needs, glad he's taking it.

Last edited:

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Now this pick I love. High character, good skater, and skilled. This is the type of player I love taking swings at. Lots of risk due to his size but there's a solid base of tools to work with.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Holy ****, huge fan of this kid that I had him as a 1st rounder I like him that much. Unbelievable competitor who fits all the categories you want for a modern day forward. Still at least three years away since he's only like 150 lbs, but there is so much to like here. He has blistering straight line speed, but also the agility to turn defenders inside out with quick side steps. If you guys like Kaut's field of vision and smartness, then Weiss fits all these chequemarks as well. However, as Kaut is seen as a West to East guy for me, Tyler is more North to South of the same player. Never ever takes a shift off, wants to get the puck at all cost, is amazing on the forecheque, and is a complete player at both ends of the ice. Perhaps he has limits in offencive talent, but I also suggest that a lot of his tools are undeveloped since he's really undeveloped physically. Picture someone like Chris Tierney and Ryan Spooner.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I've been making my way around the website to give my opinion on some picks I really liked.

I've seen Weiss play a lot the last two years. I thought this was a great pick. He has really good upside. Excellent skater, really skilled and makes a lot of very impressive plays with the puck on his stick. He was played in a lower role this year than I thought his play deserved. In his U17 season, he played a bigger role, and was one of the team's better players. New coach though, and there was a lot of talent on his team. It didn't help that one of the spots he could've played in went to a kid whose father was a former teammate of the coach. This guy was totally underutilized, and I'd blame bad coaching. It wasn't just this decision. The coach of this year's U18 NTDP team was awful, and held numerous players in the program back.

I thought he produced well, but the role just wasn't there to put up big numbers. With a proper role, he could've been a first or second round pick. He was playing on the fourth line with low minutes. He's a hard worker in all three zones. I don't think he's ever going to be a PK guy, he's very light and needs to put on a lot of weight, but he's not going to slouch around the ice.

He also seems to come from a family that struggled to make ends meet as he was growing up and is motivated to get to the NHL for them, which would be a great story.

Last edited:

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Here's the story on Weiss from The Athletic.

I'm rooting for this kid.

A lanky kid from Raleigh, NHL draft prospect Tyler Weiss is...

It was when Tyler was 13 and his brother Ryan, 15, that the costs became too much for their mom Kelly and dad, Shawn, to bear — especially with brother Patrick, still a toddler at the time, to care for.

“I was working just to pay for some of the hockey and when I had my third child I just couldn’t do it, it was too much,” said Kelly Weiss. “We just got to the point where it was too expensive.”

Kelly, a medical assistant for a hand surgeon, and Shawn, a project director at LabCorp, had to break the news to their kids that the family finances could no longer afford to pay for hockey and all the travel that went along with it.
“I came home one night and Mom said, ‘We can’t play hockey anymore, you can’t go to practice tomorrow,'” said Weiss. “My brother and I were pretty upset.”

Weiss cried.

For weeks both boys were miserable, until one day Ryan came to his mom with an idea.

“Ryan knew how stressful it was and he said, ‘Mom, if I gave up hockey would that help Tyler to keep playing? Because he’s really good,'” said Kelly. “You know I didn’t want him to give up because it wasn’t fair to him, but he said, ‘That’s what I want to do.’

“It was heartbreaking. It was really heartbreaking.”

So, Ryan quit hockey in order for Tyler to continue.

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton
I almost forgot about him. Any NHL upside at all?
At 5'9 I think his chances are not good. Also that story is wild to me, if you told me his mom was a medical assistant and his dad is a project director I'd think his family was very well off.

Last edited:

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
He's got some NHL upside, but it is pretty unlikely. Kid as a real good amount of puck skill and he's a good skater... has never been able to put on any weight and thus gets pushed around a lot and is pretty ineffective in dirty areas. That area would have to develop greatly for him to stick in the NHL. I see him as a high end AHL guy though...

Spilot23

Dec 30, 2014
Just saw this thread and reading this story is indeed heartbreaking. It's very similar story to the Girard's family where his brother Jeremy had to sacrifice hockey so Sammy can play higher level. Let's hope we see Weiss with the Eagles soon.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad