Confirmed with Link: Tyler Wall signs ELC

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
We needed a Wall in front of our goal.

Other than his sophomore year his other 3 years at Lowell were pretty stellar. Good signing.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
To me this seals Lundqvist's fate for next season. Shesty/Georgie with the big club, one of Wall/Huska with Berube, the other in Charlotte.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
To me this seals Lundqvist's fate for next season. Shesty/Georgie with the big club, one of Wall/Huska with Berube, the other in Charlotte.
I don't know what it changes. The chances of either Shesterkin or Georgiev playing in Hartford next year already had to be really slim. Wall is just another guy in the AHL/ECHL mix.

I mean, what's the implication here? Wall signed so now for sure they'll buy out Lundqvist? Because then the flip side of that would be if they planned on keeping Lundqvist, they wouldn't have signed Wall. That seems really unlikely.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
I don't know what it changes. The chances of either Shesterkin or Georgiev playing in Hartford next year already had to be really slim. Wall is just another guy in the AHL/ECHL mix.

I mean, what's the implication here? Wall signed so now for sure they'll buy out Lundqvist? Because then the flip side of that would be if they planned on keeping Lundqvist, they wouldn't have signed Wall. That seems really unlikely.

You're right. Georgiev lost his waiver exemption so the two are not related at all. If he was still waiver exempt, you could make a point about Wall signing affecting Lundqvist's situation.

Unless they get a nice return for Georgiev, I believe Lundqvist will be bought out or retires this off season.

Reactions: egelband and nyr2k2

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
Wall doesn't really impact Lundqvist. Wall is competing for the starting spot in Hartford. That's about it.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Is that award still a thing? I remember when I had hockey stickers. I think Fuhr and Moog was the thing.

Yeah. I refer to it as "Jennings Trophy" because I keep incorrectly calling it as the Pat Jennings trophy. As a huge football fan (my favourite sport growing up), the name Jennings is synonymous with the Irish goalkeeper to me :laugh:

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
I still think they sign Berube (for expansion draft reasons) and have Huska and Wall rotate with him. With the 3-in-3 schedule in the AHL it doesn't hurt having more than 2 goalies

smart get them ready for the 3 goalie system the rangers like to use
GzrN.gif

MrPodz

Aug 16, 2019
I just see this as basically a trade off- if he impresses in the ahl, he gets a callup, we see what he can do and georgiev or him becomes a trade chip. I would like a wall instead of a georgiev; partially, kind of, completely because of the name. On the other hand, if he sucks (which i doubt, but pro level hits different), then who cares? He probably signed to work with the goalie whisperer and the reason he signed so late is so he could finish his degree first.

Reactions: egelband

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
Great news!! Solid depth in keeper. This almost is certain, to me, that NYR grabs another project keeper in this year's draft.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
I just see this as basically a trade off- if he impresses in the ahl, he gets a callup, we see what he can do and georgiev or him becomes a trade chip. I would like a wall instead of a georgiev; partially, kind of, completely because of the name. On the other hand, if he sucks (which i doubt, but pro level hits different), then who cares? He probably signed to work with the goalie whisperer and the reason he signed so late is so he could finish his degree first.
I can't think of a better surname for a goalie.

I suppose his nickname will have to be "Brick", eh?

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
I still think they sign Berube (for expansion draft reasons) and have Huska and Wall rotate with him. With the 3-in-3 schedule in the AHL it doesn't hurt having more than 2 goalies

Berube would need a 2 year deal for expansion which I can see happening but also likely means the young goalies see some echl time to stay fresh

charliemurphy

Feb 16, 2004
Brooklyn, NY

You could easily argue that it could seal the fate on Georgiev's future with the Rangers, especially without a buyout happening this off-season.
Would it really be out of the realm of possibility that Gorton moves Georgiev for some picks or more depth? Go with Henke as the backup next season... maybe even resigns for another season on the cheap or at least until Wall or anyone else is ready to come in as the backup. Not as far fetched as some would think.

Reactions: egelband

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
You could easily argue that it could seal the fate on Georgiev's future with the Rangers, especially without a buyout happening this off-season.
Would it really be out of the realm of possibility that Gorton moves Georgiev for some picks or more depth? Go with Henke as the backup next season... maybe even resigns for another season on the cheap or at least until Wall or anyone else is ready to come in as the backup. Not as far fetched as some would think.
This was my thinking as well, up until recently. I think the last few weeks of the season, as it were, indicated the Rangers and Henrik are probably breaking up sooner rather than later.
I thought selling high in Geogiev and keeping Henrik around for another year or two until Wall/Huska/Olaf took over the backup role made sense. But it appears the Rangers have other plans.

Reactions: charliemurphy

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
I don’t think signing Wall has any impact on anyone relevant in the organization. Certainly not on the NHL goalies, since there’s no way anyone would think “oh, we can trade afford to lose this guy now that we have someone who has never played a professional game.” And Huska was always going to split time with someone.

On the signing itself, always good to see a prospect with potential get under contract.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
They could have chosen to move Georgiev even if Wall didn't sign. It's always been a consideration. I just can't see how having or not having Wall playing in the AHL this year and maybe even next has an influence on a multimillion dollar buyout of Lundqvist or moving a good asset in Georgiev when Wall is still totally unproven. If I had to wager money, I would bet the house that the team has decided what they'd like to do with the goalies, and also has a Plan B, and that neither of those have been affected by Wall. JMO.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011

Signing Wall doesn't at all impact the situation in New York. They signed a prospect they invested time, money and resource in for 4 years.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
Guys, when I said this seals Lundqvist's fate yes it directly relates because you really only have five "true" goalie positions in the org and Georgiev can't go to Hartford. Berube is needed for expansion and Wall/Huska have to play. No one is going to be a backup in Charlotte. So yes, you sign Wall regardless, but you need to find places for everyone to play. No point in signing Wall to have him ride the bench or dominate the ECHL.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Guys, when I said this seals Lundqvist's fate yes it directly relates because you really only have five "true" goalie positions in the org and Georgiev can't go to Hartford. Berube is needed for expansion and Wall/Huska have to play. No one is going to be a backup in Charlotte. So yes, you sign Wall regardless, but you need to find places for everyone to play. No point in signing Wall to have him ride the bench or dominate the ECHL.

The bolded text basically explains why Wall signing does not affect the NY situation

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad