Tyler Toffoli

Jwm1986

Apr 12, 2009
Los Angeles
He now has 22 goals in 25 games....this kid can flat out put pucks in the net....i wish i had a better way of watching the games live, but in the past 10 or so games, he must have something like 15 goals....

Reminds me of what Jeff Skinner was doing last year....

Mathletic

Feb 28, 2002
Ste-Foy
He now has 22 goals in 25 games....this kid can flat out put pucks in the net....i wish i had a better way of watching the games live, but in the past 10 or so games, he must have something like 15 goals....

I loved that kid going to the draft. I have very little doubt he'll make it to the NHL. Concerns are always about his skating and whatnot but overall he just gets it IMO. Ottawa's defensive play's not as good as last year though. Not all on Toffoli but his numbers may be a little higher than they'd be on a tighter defensive team.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
I've been following him for a while now. He reminds me of Dany Heatley (in a good way). He just finds dead areas in coverage on converts on his chances with his great release. There's not a lot else to his game but he has elite finishing skills and will find a place in the pros with that skill set if he's put with some good playmakers (like in Ottawa with Prince and Martindale).

P.S. The kings should take Prince with their 1st pick this year and keep these guys together. He should be there and slotted to be picked in that area (25-30).

Toffoli-Martindale-Prince is one of the best lines in the CHL. They just dominate each shift with their skill.

ItsTheBGB

Borusse!!
Aug 30, 2010
Edmonton, AB
I've been following him for a while now. He reminds me of Dany Heatley (in a good way). He just finds dead areas in coverage on converts on his chances with his great release. There's not a lot else to his game but he has elite finishing skills and will find a place in the pros with that skill set if he's put with some good playmakers (like in Ottawa with Prince and Martindale).

P.S. The kings should take Prince with their 1st pick this year and keep these guys together. He should be there and slotted to be picked in that area (25-30).

Toffoli-Martindale-Prince is one of the best lines in the CHL. They just dominate each shift with their skill.

Who's the spark plug for that line? Cause if they split up are their stats gonna plummet? That's the only concern with lines like these. I hope Martindale will carry on this play in the future, but I worry if it's just cause of the line and one of the other two generates/makes every play happen.

Reaper45

Jul 14, 2003
Los Angeles
I loved that kid going to the draft. I have very little doubt he'll make it to the NHL. Concerns are always about his skating and whatnot but overall he just gets it IMO. Ottawa's defensive play's not as good as last year though. Not all on Toffoli but his numbers may be a little higher than they'd be on a tighter defensive team.

I've heard comparisons of him and Spezza, but he seems like much more of a scorer than Spezza.

Jwm1986

Apr 12, 2009
Los Angeles

I know Toffoli doesnt have the greatest skating, but since it seems that you follow the team, have you seen improvements over the past few seasons? How is he on the Defensive side of the ice? From what ive seen, i know hes not a liablity, but does he hustle down there?

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
Who's the spark plug for that line? Cause if they split up are their stats gonna plummet? That's the only concern with lines like these. I hope Martindale will carry on this play in the future, but I worry if it's just cause of the line and one of the other two generates/makes every play happen.

IMO Prince is the best on that line BUT they are all mostly equal and all standout at different times. It basically changes on a game to game basis which is a good indication that they are all great players. Martindale is so much better this year. His consistency is night and day and he really brings it each game.

They all have such great hockey sense, so I don't think it'll be too difficult for them to find chemistry elsewhere.

Mathletic

Feb 28, 2002
Ste-Foy
I've heard comparisons of him and Spezza, but he seems like much more of a scorer than Spezza.

yeah well, without having sky high expectations from him, I think it's fair to say he can be a Brad Boyes, Justin Williams kinda guy if he just does his thing. Maybe more, pending on how he develops, who knows.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
I know Toffoli doesnt have the greatest skating, but since it seems that you follow the team, have you seen improvements over the past few seasons? How is he on the Defensive side of the ice? From what ive seen, i know hes not a liablity, but does he hustle down there?

He's improved. He still has a ways to go but there is an improvement.

Defensively/hustling/2 way play is an inconsistent area of his game, unlike goal scoring. Prince really hustles everywhere and Martindale is very dominant due to his size but Toffoli can float from time to time. He also sometimes gets mad and starts to throw the body and will take indisciplined penalties (roughing, stick work). Its something you hate as a coach but love as a scout cause you see the fire and know that it could be a serious asset if harnessed properly.

Ziostilon

Feb 14, 2009

anybody knows who plays what position on that line

i've always had the impression of Martindale - Prince - Toffoli
so that Prince is in the middle while Martindale on LW

wicker

Oct 2, 2006
He is comparable to Heatley? Fantastic.

I'm hoping that in the future one of Toffoli, Weal, or Kozun fills in the sniper role that the Kings are missing right now.

Minister of Offence

Oct 2, 2009
www.chadhargrove.com
IMO Prince is the best on that line BUT they are all mostly equal and all standout at different times. It basically changes on a game to game basis which is a good indication that they are all great players. Martindale is so much better this year. His consistency is night and day and he really brings it each game.

They all have such great hockey sense, so I don't think it'll be too difficult for them to find chemistry elsewhere.

I've gone to one game this year...Toffoli put up a hat-trick but I thought Martindale was the guy on that specific night, just played a clean game, controlled the puck, and put it in the right places.
On that night...without Toffoli's finish, that line could have been held pointless.

DickArmy*

One thing that gives me hope about Toffoli's skating is that he doesn't look in great shape or physically developed. I hope with improved conditioning and physical development his skating picks up a little, at least to the point where it's not a liability.

Reaper45

Jul 14, 2003
Los Angeles
yeah well, without having sky high expectations from him, I think it's fair to say he can be a Brad Boyes, Justin Williams kinda guy if he just does his thing. Maybe more, pending on how he develops, who knows.

I'll be pretty happy if he ends up like Boyes or Williams.

Nov 16, 2007
in your head
Toffoli is a pimp. All he does is score. I had him in my first round last year simply because of his pure scoring and hockey sense. He just ALWAYS knows where to be and the puck seems to follow him around the ice.

Hossa

Feb 27, 2002
Abroad
Visit site
For all the comparisons, I think the most obvious might be Jeremy Morin. They're similar in size and skill, and both slipped in the draft for that reason.

That being said, these types of players are easy to like but there can be a reason they fall in the draft. If they don't score in the NHL, they won't stick, in all likelihood. Being a guy who "just scores" is a tough gig in the NHL, and for every Ray Sheppard there are tons of guys we don't remember who just couldn't score consistently in their opportunity and therefore never stuck around.

Valic

BOOOOOOOOOO
Jun 12, 2007
Canada
Martindale and Toffoli are looking like great picks at 47ish and 61 for the Kings and the Oil. Seems every game they dominate.

JMFJ 3

Nov 14, 2007
Kudos to the LA scouting department for continuing to find these gems. Toffoli at 47 and Kitsyn at 158 are steals...

Orwell1984

Feb 10, 2009

Toffoli is sorta Jeff Skinner light, same type of shooter(deadly), but he doesn't have Skinners' motor.

Frolov 6'3

Unregistered User
Jun 7, 2003
The Netherlands
Kudos to the LA scouting department for continuing to find these gems. Toffoli at 47 and Kitsyn at 158 are steals...
From what I remember Toffoli was ranked somewehere late 1st round and definitely 2nd round. Kytsin was not a nobody either.

I wouldt call that "a gem".

Both players seem to improve, yes.

Hossa

Feb 27, 2002
Abroad
Visit site
Any chance he makes the WJC team?

Definitely. He didn't go in the first round or to a Canadian team so he's often forgotten, but he was at the summer camp, has been impressive for Canada in other appearances, and is having a great start. Plus he's a natural winger.

Brandinho

deng xiaoping gang
Aug 28, 2005
República de Cuba
From what I remember Toffoli was ranked somewehere late 1st round and definitely 2nd round. Kytsin was not a nobody either.

I wouldt call that "a gem".

Both players seem to improve, yes.

Yeah, to me a gem is somebody like Loktionov who wasn't getting any love pre-draft and turned out to be way better than expected. It's not hard to take a guy who was ranked in the first round and fell.

Jwm1986

Apr 12, 2009
Los Angeles
Yeah i remember seeing numerous mock draft that had Toffoli in the bottom half of the first round....

Also, one thing i liked about him was the enthusiasm he showed when he was drafted. He seems like he genuinely loves to play hockey and thats always a good sign when it comes to putting in the time and effort to get better..

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad