Tyler Toffoli

Nov 16, 2007
in your head
Toffoli started off the season incredibly slow. He had giant expectations to be our offensive catalyst and he came out flat.

Ryan Martindale picked up the slack and has launched himself into talks to be a 1st round pick.

Well Toffoli has really started to turn it around, he's coming off the OHL player of the week award after he scored 4 goals and 4 assists in 3 games this past weekend.

For those who watch him on a more consistant basis then I, has he been playing like this for the past little while? Is he starting to get back onto the radar's for potential 1st round picks this year?

Thanks

The Scouting Report

Oct 2, 2007
Ontario
www.thescoutingreport.org
Toffoli started off the season incredibly slow. He had giant expectations to be our offensive catalyst and he came out flat.

Ryan Martindale picked up the slack and has launched himself into talks to be a 1st round pick.

Well Toffoli has really started to turn it around, he's coming off the OHL player of the week award after he scored 4 goals and 4 assists in 3 games this past weekend.

For those who watch him on a more consistant basis then I, has he been playing like this for the past little while? Is he starting to get back onto the radar's for potential 1st round picks this year?

Thanks

Yeah he's probably working his way back into the late first round picture, but he's another guy that could go anywhere from 20-50 depending how things play out.

Personally, I'm not a huge fan of him. He's got some skill, but I really don't feel he's going to translate well at the next level. He doesn't really have any outstanding qualities, and I'm not sure if he has what it takes to be a top six forward at the next level, and he certainly doesn't have the skill-set to play a bottom six role. We'll see, though!

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com

Thanks

I still think he is out of the 1st round at this point. The one thing that I do notice about him is that he is a pure goal scorer. He has a knack for being in the right spot at the right time...

Outside of his goal scoring ability I'm not super overly impressed with him and the rest of his game needs a lot of work...

Nov 16, 2007
in your head
I still think he is out of the 1st round at this point. The one thing that I do notice about him is that he is a pure goal scorer. He has a knack for being in the right spot at the right time...

Outside of his goal scoring ability I'm not super overly impressed with him and the rest of his game needs a lot of work...

Thanks.

After moving from Ottawa i only get to see the 67s when they play against the Bulls :shakehead

Leaf Fever

Mar 20, 2008
I've seen him play in every home game this year, and his turnaround began when the team started to turn around.

Right now I would say he goes mid-second round, but if he stays at a ppg for the rest of the year, he may work himself back into the first round.

This kid has one heck of a skill set, that's for sure.

DuklaNation

Aug 26, 2004
5 pts tonight. This guy is on pure fire. NEver seen him play but his latest scoring spree has to move up the rankings.

Madic

May 21, 2008
Alright ye faithful, someone give me an outline of his game?

I saw him during the super series, thought he was great...but I'm getting the 1 dimensional feel from this thread. If Burke manages to fandangle a 2nd round pick at some point, I'd dig someone like this (not that he'll be around in the 2nd with 5 point nights).

Hossa

Feb 27, 2002
Abroad
Visit site
Alright ye faithful, someone give me an outline of his game?

I saw him during the super series, thought he was great...but I'm getting the 1 dimensional feel from this thread. If Burke manages to fandangle a 2nd round pick at some point, I'd dig someone like this (not that he'll be around in the 2nd with 5 point nights).

I haven't seen him this year, but saw him a lot last year, and I don't think the one-dimensional thing is entirely accurate with Toffoli. He isn't a complete player like Mike Richards or even Logan Couture, but I saw last year he's a smart, hard-working kid. He takes care of things in his own end, not without mistakes, but he was 16. In the playoffs he added a real edge to his game, including getting into it with Alex Pietrangelo a few times.

My question is whether Toffoli can develop in to a pretty good defensive forward, or if he's just a solid responsible two-way guy. I don't think you'd draft him because you see Richards or Couture, but I also don't think his biggest drawback is that he's one-dimensional in the way people throw that label on prospects like Jeremy Morin.

What I do think holds Toffoli back is that he doesn't have a dominant offensive skill. He's pretty good across the board, but for that reason profiles more as a complementary player at the next level, particularly because he's a winger not a center. However, I haven't seen him this year and I was wondering if he'd be able to step up and be a dominant offensive player. Now that he is lighting it up I would like to see him again to get a better sense.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
The thing about Toffoli is he has incredible offensive instincts, he just knows where to be

I agree with this.

Having said that, he just doesn't seem to have any really outstanding skills but he also doesn't have any glaring weaknesses besides maybe taking bone headed penalties once in a while. Kid has a real mean-streak in him though from what I've seen. I haven't got to see him play since the big team turn around though. Hopefully I can catch a game soon.

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
I work indirectly with the team, so I get to see him pretty much every home game and get to watch alot of practices too. I think most people who have answered in this thread so far are spot on.

Some of his strengths include:

- No glaring weaknesses in his game
- Incredible offensive instincts
- Knack for being in the right place at the right time

Weaknesses include:

- No oustanding qualities (this is his major weakness as he has alot of room to grow in the physical parts of the game)

milkshow

Jun 14, 2009
5 pts tonight. This guy is on pure fire. NEver seen him play but his latest scoring spree has to move up the rankings.

I was there at the game that night. Toffoli is a very skilled and smart player. I'd be very interested in the Habs taking as their 1st rounder if still there. I think he will sneak his way back into the top 10.

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
I think he will be picked somewhere in the 1rst round. There is still alot of season to be played, but if I was a betting man I'd say he goes between 20 and 25.

tarlinian

Dec 4, 2008
Pasadena, CA
I was hoping he'd managed to drop to the low 1st round. Doug Wilson is in love with 67's and would probably have taken him. (I wouldn't have minded either, as the Sharks prospect pool is thinnest at wing. Moreover, I thought he was getting seriously underrated with his slow start to the season. He's probably not worthy a top 10 pick like some thought last year, but he isn't down in the mid 100's either like I saw in some places.

rick3652

Aug 18, 2009
Toronto

Thanks

Tyler Toffoli, Ottawa 67’s - All Weather Windows OHL Player of the Month

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
Tyler Toffoli, Ottawa 67’s - All Weather Windows OHL Player of the Month

Yessir. He was an absolute beast all month. Often the best player on the ice every night. There were few games where he was not the star of the game.

I've been paying more attention to Martindale this year but since Toffoli's offensive explosion, I've switched my focus. I went to the game on Friday and I was very impressed. He's a different player since struggling early in the OHL season. There was a lot of pressure on him to produce after the departure of Logan Couture and Tomas Kiriakou (sp?), and of course one of the greatest coaches in hockey history. He's really settled in and is a leader on the ice. When the team needs offense, they look to TF and RM. The losses of the aforementioned centers, forced Toffoli to try his hand at center ice, which ended up not working. His big turnaround has coincided with a switch to the wing, where he seems at home.

Early in the season it was the Ryan Martindale show in Ottawa but lately he's struggled and Toffoli has stepped up big time. Friday night was no different. Scott Stajer and J. Blacker held Owen Sound in the game with some nice saves and great defensive plays. It was scoreless after about 50 minutes but Toffoli took a nice pass in the Owen sound end and found some open ice in the slot, where he slide a beauty five-hole on Stajer.

This play pretty much sums up how I view Toffoli. He has excellent offensive instincts and is able to get himself open and find soft areas in coverage in a Dany Heatley kind of way. He has some nice hands in tight too, which is where he picks up most of his goals. He's also a very strong playmaker. In the game on Friday, he did a great job of driving to the net, drawing defenders to him and passing the puck off to open line mates. He didn't always hit his man but that wasn't necessarily his fault.

His physical tools are there too. He's not a physically dominating player but he has a large frame and will throw a hit. He also uses his size to his advantage to protect the puck and get in front of the net.

Earlier in the season I would have said he doesn't have any real outstanding skills but I'm starting to notice his shot. It's seemingly his most lethal weapon outside of his instincts. He unleashed an absolute cannon one timer on Stajer that ended up being a beautiful save. Goalies are also having a much more difficult time with his wrist shots (lots of rebounds). His skating is decent too. Not great though.

He's still very raw but he has offensive upside at the NHL level. I think he'll find his way into the first round of the draft this year. Maybe even top 15.

If I had to compare him to an NHL player, I'd say Michael Ryder. He'll probably be a better playmaker than Mike though. Maybe Iginla super lite?

I'll try to post some updates as the year goes on.

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
His biggest asset like i and others have said in the past is his ability to be in the right spot at the right time at least offensively.

Hard to judge where he will go in the draft. Certainly a 1st-2nd round candidate...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad