Player Discussion Tyler Toffoli

Status
Not open for further replies.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
If we sign him now do we still give a 4th to the Kings?

CNuck

Jun 26, 2012
Hoffman would certainly look good on the Canucks... 5.5M x3yrs get it done Benning

CNuck

Jun 26, 2012
We have approximately 8m in cap space right now and if we bury Sven in the minor that an extra 1 million to work with.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
We have approximately 8m in cap space right now and if we bury Sven in the minor that an extra 1 million to work with.

We have about $3MM earmarked for Virtanen, probably around $1.5MM for Gaudette, and need to pick up at least 2 more quality NHL top-6 d-men.

We have next to no flexibility.

Javaman

Jul 13, 2010
Vancouver

True, they have ~$8M but....

They have 13 forwards, 5 defensemen, and 2 goalies signed. They'd need to sign 3 more defensemen. Even at bargain basement prices, that's $2.5M

Now there's only $5.5M of cap space left.

Next, Gaudette and Virtanen will cost about $4M to resign. Sure, you send down McEwen and Baertschi to save a bit of money, but that's an additional $2M off the cap.

Now there's only 3.5M left.

Presumably, you'd want a bit of a cap cushion for the inevitable injuries that will occur in a compressed season... say $1M? That may not even be enough.

Now you're down to about $2.5M of cap space to find a player to upgrade the roster, which translates to maybe about $3.3M once you factor in sending down a player. And even if you could find a quality FA for that amount, the Canucks desperately need help on defense, not forward.

Edit: All of the above rests on the assumption that Acquillini hasn't set an internal cap, which would further reduce Benning's ability to sign a FA.

Last edited:

Dr Black

Oct 31, 2015
People want Toffoli signed solely based on sunken cost fallacy

You must admit, giving up a decent prospect PLUS a 2nd round draft pick in a deep draft (where you don't have a 1st round pick) is way too high a price to pay for just a rental.

Reactions: vanuck

lennor

Oct 15, 2019
Oh 100 percent. Unfortunately jimbo pulls the trigger on a lot of terrible transactions.

member 328930

You must admit, giving up a decent prospect PLUS a 2nd round draft pick in a deep draft (where you don't have a 1st round pick) is way too high a price to pay for just a rental.

For a team competing for a cup? No. For a team that is in a precarious position in terms of making the playoffs? Huge yes.

Reactions: vanuck

thekernel

Apr 11, 2011
People want Toffoli signed solely based on sunken cost fallacy
Well, I happen to like how he fits with our forward group. But yes, it would be a shame to lose a pick and a prospect for 17 games of a player.

iFan

May 5, 2013
Calgary
Honestly as much as I like Toffoli and think he’s a great fit here, there’s no point signing him now with how our D is shaping up. He’s 29 this season and this cap hell we have could set us back this and next season.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
True, they have ~$8M but....

They have 13 forwards, 5 defensemen, and 2 goalies signed. They'd need to sign 3 more defensemen. Even at bargain basement prices, that's $2.5M

Now there's only $5.5M of cap space left.
Team a probably lottery pick team if it just signs three minimum wage defensemen. Even with Tanev, it wasn't very good. Without him, it's horrible whenever Hughes (or Edler) isn't on the ice. And you can't expect Edler to play 82 games.

Big Empty

He's a big horse
Jan 27, 2020
Montréal
I don't have a second team but I love watching the Nucks and I was watching all your guys playoff games. Toffoli looked pretty good. How did you guys not offer him this contract?

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
I don't have a second team but I love watching the Nucks and I was watching all your guys playoff games. Toffoli looked pretty good. How did you guys not offer him this contract?

Very simple. Our management chose to add $6MM Myers, $2MM Benn, $3.5MM Ferland last offseason, and $3MM Roussel $3MM Beagle $3.36MM Baertschi the year before. Not to mention still dealing with awful decisions from 2015 and 2016 in $4.375MM Brandon Sutter, $6MM Eriksson, $3.75MM Pearson (as a result of $4MM Gudbranson).

Hyzer

Jimbo is fired - the good guys won
Aug 10, 2012
Vancouver
Very simple. Our management chose to add $6MM Myers, $2MM Benn, $3.5MM Ferland last offseason, and $3MM Roussel $3MM Beagle $3.36MM Baertschi the year before. Not to mention still dealing with awful decisions from 2015 and 2016 in $4.375MM Brandon Sutter, $6MM Eriksson, $3.75MM Pearson (as a result of $4MM Gudbranson).

Here's a JUICY tidbit I almost forgot about:

We signed Brandon Sutter to this extention when we traded for him, before we even saw him play for us LMAO.

I hope even casual fans can see how many assets we lost because of our GM's moves. Every single move that happened this offseason has solely been on the managements shoulder. Losing a top 6 winger for a reasonable cap hit (who wanted to sign with us btw), so I think he would have even accepted a little less to stay.

Reactions: Disappointed EP40

thefutures

Sponsor
Jul 2, 2017
Pure failure this offseason. Atleast we are completely stuck rather than being able to do patchwork, cause I don't trust Benning to do that well either. He should absolutely be fired when we regress next season. Hope he's out the door before he gets the chance to talk contracts with out two bright spots.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad