Player Discussion Tyler Toffoli

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
'Analytics' is a vague thing. Goldobin's possession numbers were excellent, and those are the analytics normally referred to when talking about 'driving play'.

Analytics are vague, yes, but understanding them and making a case using them are very specific endeavors. You can tell when someone does or does not understand them by how they are employed.

This is true of anyone using them while trying to learn about them (including myself when first trying to learn about them).

In that same vein, there were markers for Goldbobin that suggested that while his possession numbers were positive, the quality of his teammates and his usage had a great deal to do with this. And so, he would not normally be referred to as a play driver in isolation.

Last edited:
Reactions: vanuck

Nov 1, 2011
Feel like this UFA period is different than all others for obvious reasons.

Many teams are tight to the cap or have owners experiencing business downturns.

I think the smart strategy is to sit tight and let the few teams with money blow their brains out then swoop in and sign the remaining guys to sweetheart deals when they have few other options.

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
There isn't alot of players being re signed this year, Toffoli is probably the best RW free agent for the next couple years.

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
Feel like this UFA period is different than all others for obvious reasons.

Many teams are tight to the cap or have owners experiencing business downturns.

I think the smart strategy is to sit tight and let the few teams with money blow their brains out then swoop in and sign the remaining guys to sweetheart deals when they have few other options.
This is absolutely the right strategy. There will be a correction in salaries. The cap will stay where it is, more for optics. Owners will adjust their books to be closer to the floor than the cap. It just makes sense with gate revenues expected to drop precipitously.

Reactions: MarkMM

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
Toffoli must be laughing right now after seeing Anderson’s contract
Did we unintentionally dodge a bullet perhaps??
What do you mean dodged a bullet? He was willing to take a fair priced deal at 5mx4 according to 650 to stay here.

It's not like it would have taken 6x7 like it did with Anderson.

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
What do you mean dodged a bullet? He was willing to take a fair priced deal at 5mx4 according to 650 to stay here.

It's not like it would have taken 6x7 like it did with Anderson.
What I mean is
If we try to resign him now, his asking price is prob much higher that the report

Reactions: Peen

Nov 1, 2011
There isn't alot of players being re signed this year, Toffoli is probably the best RW free agent for the next couple years.

I don't mind Toffoli but feel fine with Boeser + Pods + Virtanen + MacEwen as my RWs.

Gotta save cash to pickup a couple of top 4 dmen, a strong 3C and a top 6 LW.

Let teams like MTL fall in love with guys and blow their wads, Toffoli is probably going to get way more than he should as a UFA but in 3 weeks, we should start seeing some deals.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I think the Canucks are waiting to see what Tofoli might fetch on the UFA market, rather than sign the guy for somewhere in the vicinity of $5m a season. If he gets more from somebody else, the Canucks simply walk away.

There's lots of wingers out there who'd bring as much to the table as Tofoli and would come a lot cheaper.

Reactions: Canucks1096

Crabe

Jul 28, 2011
There's lots of wingers out there who'd bring as much to the table as Tofoli and would come a lot cheaper.

Like who?

I can get on board with the idea of abstaining from the UFA bidding wars this offseason for many reasons, but this is a player I would like to have found a way to keep around.

Reactions: Bleach Clean

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
I think the Canucks are waiting to see what Tofoli might fetch on the UFA market, rather than sign the guy for somewhere in the vicinity of $5m a season. If he gets more from somebody else, the Canucks simply walk away.

Via Free Agency? List them.

iFan

May 5, 2013
Calgary
I really like Toffoli and he was such a good fit here but 5 million a year seems a bit rich. If we didn’t have all this money tied up to Eriksson, Sven, Sutter, Beagle, Ferland and Roussel I’d be willing to take that risk for Toffoli.

Reactions: MarkMM

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
It seems that the team had a change of heart when it comes to Virtanen.

Podkolzin's RFA deal expiring and Boeser's qualifying offer combined with perhaps a willingness to see this through with Jake has put the brakes on giving Toffoli 4 or 5 yrs.

I've said this repeatedly. Toffoli is a decent 2nd line winger when it comes to production. But he ends up reducing Boeser's role and doesn't add speed to an already somewhat slow top6.

Everyone kept wondering why Travis didn't put the 70s line together with Horvat? it's because they were too slow. It's why they traded Pearson for Hagelin in the 1st place and LA started to become mediocre in their top6. Toffoli is a clutch goal scorer but he also has a reputation as a lazy party boy.

I'm not against a 4yr deal but i also don't really see a big drop off in production that hurts our forward group either and that is primarily what you get with Toffoli. Don't feel he brings a lot of intangibles that we need and the defense is a much higher priority

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
re: Toffoli..makes you wonder why they (Canucks) acquired him in the first place with those "negatives".
I always looked at it as a rental.

Was surprised he was in consideration for 5 million of our cap for term at 28 given what we have in the pipeline.

He's a nice scorer. Not 1st line level (which combined with being a below average skater) makes him dangerous for a big commitment.

2016 should teach us all something.....No

Catamarca Livin

Jul 29, 2010
Think team would have resigned him without pandemic. Now they just do not have the room without owner spending more money. Really a bunch of 28 plus players is not ideal for this team unless they are elite Hossa or Chara like player. Better to grow underneath Hughes and Petterson with prospects like Podz. Hoglander, MacEwan maybe Lind etc.. Too bad lost assets for him, but at least it was a short term error that only cost assets not long term salary like other mistakes.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
So Tofoli is the last of the 'big three' UFA's.....Markstrom and Tanev are now gone, but I'm not getting the sense that any of the money they've saved will be going to Tofoli or a replacement on the UFA market.

Things are looking better for Hoglander all the time.

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
So Tofoli is the last of the 'big three' UFA's.....Markstrom and Tanev are now gone, but I'm not getting the sense that any of the money they've saved will be going to Tofoli or a replacement on the UFA market.

Things are looking better for Hoglander all the time.

Lost Marky, lost Tanev . . .

Reactions: The Colonel

lawrence

May 19, 2012
Via Free Agency? List them.

notable wingers to replace Toffoli Toffoli who is 28...

Mike Hofman age 31 had 59 points in 59 games
Alex Galchenyuk, he's only 26, still young even if he signed to a 5 year deal he will only be 31 when it ends. but not a physical winger, and pretty much just the bottom of the barrel 2nd line winger.
Evgeni Dandanov but he's 31 highly productive winger but he's old a long contract will take him to mid 30's.
Taylor hall 28
Eric Haula, age 29, had a 56 point season with the knights 2 years ago, also played in a finals (playoff experience)
band aid solution is Tyler Ennis age 31,
Thomas Nosek fromt he Vegas knights but he's a 3rd liner,

yea there's not much. I like Toffoli he protected Pettersson when he needed too, but ya know, Benning mis managed his cap room and now our franchise is facing the consequences when we don't even have 4.5 million dollar to sign a heart and soul player.
notable wingers to replace Toffoli Toffoli who is 28...

Personally? Eric Haula would be my top choice out of the list I am given, he can also play centre apparently which brings some value, he has cup experience and has proven he can play some offence.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad