Value of: Tyler Seguin

LokiDog

Get pucks deep. Get pucks to the net. And, uh…
Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
He just turned 29. Has missed the whole year due to surgeries and had a disappointing 50 points in 69 games last season, albeit on a very low scoring Dallas team. He was essentially point per game the year prior. I don’t think he’s trending down. He seems to take great care of himself and was more likely a ‘victim’ of the system he was in last year production wise. Nearly 10M per until 2027. What’s his actual value/would it take to shake him loose?

LokiDog

Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
Don't know if Dallas wants to move him

I agree. They seem to be missing him this year. At the same time they could afford to get younger at forward because they don’t have much in terms of impact prospects now that Robertson is pro. Hintz, Gurianov, Robertson and Dellandrea are their best young forwards. Benn, Pavelski, Radulov and Seguin to a lesser extent are getting older while the D is a bit younger. But that’s why I phrased it as shake him loose rather than thinking they would want to move him. I just wonder what it would take to get him out of Dallas right now.

Reactions: bernmeister

smokes lets go

Oct 18, 2008
No value. Injury history and big/Long-term contract will scare a lot of teams off in this climate. Doesn't seem like Dallas has any interest in moving him either

crowi

Registered Loser
May 11, 2012
Helsinki
No value. Injury history and big/Long-term contract will scare a lot of teams off in this climate. Doesn't seem like Dallas has any interest in moving him either
"no value"? He has perhaps not 1C value due to circumstances but pretty close to it. Any team that needs one of those would be paying through the nose for him.

smokes lets go

Oct 18, 2008
"no value"? He has perhaps not 1C value due to circumstances but pretty close to it. Any team that needs one of those would be paying through the nose for him.
Like I said, his injury history and long term contract would scare off most teams. He already has lot a decent amount of zip from his achillies injury and just went through 2 more major surgeries. He has never carried the mail in the playoffs and you think teams would be 'paying through the nose' for him when he's signed for another 6 years at almost $10M aav? Im not trying to discredit seguin's abilities, he's still a great player, im just asking you to look at the optics a bit more

Reactions: G Backup

Magic Mittens

Nov 2, 2006
Calgary
Like I said, his injury history and long term contract would scare off most teams. He already has lot a decent amount of zip from his achillies injury and just went through 2 more major surgeries. He has never carried the mail in the playoffs and you think teams would be 'paying through the nose' for him when he's signed for another 6 years at almost $10M aav? Im not trying to discredit seguin's abilities, he's still a great player, im just asking you to look at the optics a bit more

Not counting this year he’s played 7 seasons in Dallas and he’s missed a total of 23 games

Yes he’s had some bad injuries, but he’s been pretty healthy for the most part. He’s still good imo, and has really improved his 2way game. Hopefully he can recover from this injury though

He’s cap hit though like you said would make him hard to move

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
He just turned 29. Has missed the whole year due to surgeries and had a disappointing 50 points in 69 games last season, albeit on a very low scoring Dallas team. He was essentially point per game the year prior. I don’t think he’s trending down. He seems to take great care of himself and was more likely a ‘victim’ of the system he was in last year production wise. Nearly 10M per until 2027. What’s his actual value/would it take to shake him loose?

I don't think that's true. Partying takes its toll.

LokiDog

Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
I don't think that's true. Partying takes its toll.

That seems like an outdated reputation. I live in Dallas. Seguin seems like a pretty low key guy these days. I’ve even seen him in Whole Foods near North Park a few times with his girlfriend. He also seems like he trains hard. I think he’s matured a great deal more than he’s given credit for. I’m not surprised to hear Stars fans saying they don’t want to move him at all. I was just curious where his value is right now.

JP Mick

Sep 24, 2008
Homestead, FL
Dallas had a bad start to the year this year for various reasons. Why wouldn’t they keep him for a fresh start next season?

Reactions: G Backup

Chevx

Jul 5, 2017
Planet Earth
I agree. They seem to be missing him this year. At the same time they could afford to get younger at forward because they don’t have much in terms of impact prospects now that Robertson is pro. Hintz, Gurianov, Robertson and Dellandrea are their best young forwards. Benn, Pavelski, Radulov and Seguin to a lesser extent are getting older while the D is a bit younger. But that’s why I phrased it as shake him loose rather than thinking they would want to move him. I just wonder what it would take to get him out of Dallas right now.

This. I just wonder what are the odds that Nill cuts into the squad and tries to rebuild/refresh it somehow. Can he somehow trade Cogliano, Comeau (and Radulov) at the deadline for the futures? Stars can eat some salary which may make the first two mentioned pretty tradeable as a bottom six experienced guys.

I am looking at this from the outside so I am probably absolutely wrong, but as I see the Stars trending, they should do everything they can to pile up some young talent in front so they can be contending. The young defense and Oettinger are on for them in that way.

Reactions: Dynamite Time

Dynamite Time

Where Is My Mind?
Jan 23, 2018
Austin, TX
A healthy Seguin playing with our kids next season I’ll take over a healthy Benn anytime.

I don’t see Seguin waiving NMC, Nill pulling the trigger if something were to come up, etc.

Last edited:

serp

Jan 17, 2016
No point in even discussing this with him beeing still injured. Can't have much value right now. Stars best hope is he comes back as the ~80 point player he allways was before his injury

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Whats the injury he's dealing with at the moment

Still the same from the playoffs. He had surgery in the offseaon to repair a torn labrum in his hip and also something somewhat less serious on his knee.

Still recovering from the surgery . From reports he's getting close to practise.

Last edited:

Ghost of Kyiv

Wanted Dead and Alive
Feb 1, 2015
Schrödinger's Box
He'll probably need to come back from the injured reserve list and look at least half decent the rest of the season.

At that point I'd guess the Stars might expect something similar to what the Leafs got for Kessel, provided they were also willing to retain a bit of salary.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad