Confirmed with Link: Tyler Randell and Tommy Cross Re-signed

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
Nice to see Randell resigned, hopefully he becomes the 4th line RW next year. From the handful of Providence games I saw last year I thought Cross was physical and pretty solid in his own end. Nothing wrong with him as a depth signing.

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
has tommy cross graduated from college yet

seriously he only went to college for the usual 4 years but it felt like 10

Someone had a hilarious post a few years back about Tommy Cross being the Bruins all time leader in development camp points.

The ironic part of it now, is that it was funny about 4 years ago.

JoeIsAStud

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Hope they sign Warsofsky.

I would think he would look for an organization where he might have a chance at the NHL level. I think there might be a place where he could be a 6/7, but that won't be Boston

We joke about Cross' age, but I think Boychuk had played one game in the NHL as a defenseman (plus 4 at wing) when he was the age Cross is now . Tommy is a true class act and I am glad to have him back in the org. Very smart kid, strong leadership skills, I could see him ending up in the org as a coach when his career ends if that is what he wants to do

trenton1

Bergeron for Hart
Dec 19, 2003
Loge 31 Row 10
Cross has to be threatening to take the record for most seasons in the organization without an NHL game. It would be nice to see him actually make it and contribute. Anything to salvage the 07 draft.

Kalus

Sep 27, 2003
Florida
Can anyone who goes to the Providence games provide a little insight on Randellwith regard to his physicality. Is he a good hitter? Does he hit often? Is he a willing fighter? What kind of guys would he likely go with in the NHL (i.e. Middleweights etc.). Thanks in advance.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Cross has to be threatening to take the record for most seasons in the organization without an NHL game. It would be nice to see him actually make it and contribute. Anything to salvage the 07 draft.

That draft was pure garbage. Besides, if he's been in the organization this long without making it, doesn't that tell you everything you need to know about him as a player?

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Can anyone who goes to the Providence games provide a little insight on Randellwith regard to his physicality. Is he a good hitter? Does he hit often? Is he a willing fighter? What kind of guys would he likely go with in the NHL (i.e. Middleweights etc.). Thanks in advance.

I'm an expert on Randall at least in my mind

he is a pretty damn good body checker. He hits hard and has good to very good technique.

He's honest, he can play mean, he doesn't take any ****, he is an excellent fighter against hockey players

He's very good on the wall and he has a good shot

I've seen him play atleast 30 times probably more

I love Randall....damn I hope his skating is good enough

If we sign McQuaid, Randell makes it and Lucic stays the Bruins are tough

If his skating is there he is here

Colt.45Orr

Mar 23, 2003
Canada

If he makes the NHL then he'll be a (younger) Prust.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
That draft was pure garbage. Besides, if he's been in the organization this long without making it, doesn't that tell you everything you need to know about him as a player?

Not really, man. Johnny Boychuk has nearly as many AHL games (374) as he does NHL (393) and he's 31. Cross has only 153 games in the AHL. I don't think the book is closed on Cross cracking an NHL roster and being a regular, but he needs to build on what was his best season last year.

KnightofBoston

Mar 22, 2010
The Valley of Pioneers
Not really, man. Johnny Boychuk has nearly as many AHL games (374) as he does NHL (393) and he's 31. Cross has only 153 games in the AHL. I don't think the book is closed on Cross cracking an NHL roster and being a regular, but he needs to build on what was his best season last year.

Exactly, and as I said with Knight last year, this upcoming season will likely be a make or break year for him as far as staying in boston goes

I know we like to crack jokes about cross' age and time with the organization but when you put it into perspective he's still very young (hell we're the same age and im constantly getting ragged on for being a "kid" by my older colleagues, friends, acquaintances) and more than that you don't have to look very far to see examples of players who took awhile to finally break in. Boychuk is a very good example and he's also someone who we know well.

I don't see Cross being as good as boychuk is now or even how he was when he broke out that year the Bruins struggled, but he has a lot of positive signs about his game and like you said last year was by far his best yet and I got to see 4 out of 5 against Hartford, 3 of them live, and he was one of the most solid on the ice. Hell he almost won the series for providence with his patented crunch time slapper

GarbageGoal

Courage
Dec 1, 2005
RI
Boychuk was always a solid AHL guy even if he didn't put up huge numbers in Lowell or Hershey like he did when he won the Shore award in Providence. Cross is not there yet, and I doubt he ever will be. He's a decent 5th-6th AHL blueliner who with the right pairing (like Warsofsky or Morrow) gets more ice time for his stay at home commitment.

Mathews28

Nov 24, 2008
Connecticut
Cross in an AHL lifer. Good to have around, but going nowhere career wise, at least it looks like that now. Warsofsky, Trotman, Morrow are all much better.

Randell has upside...4th liner on good team, 3rd liner on less talented team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad