Tyler Plante

Status
Not open for further replies.

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002
Since Christmas, Plante has been unreal. Tonight he helped complete the huge comeback - backstopping the Wheat Kings to a Game 7 win against Calgary after being down three games to one.

In Game 6 he went into a packed Saddledome and shut down the Hitmen, giving uop one goal on a scramble with 6 seconds left in a 3-1 game.

In Game 7 he once again gave up just one goal as the Wheaties took the series with another 3-1 win.

He was ranked 5th in North America at the CSB mid term rankings. I would suspect he is right up there with Price now at 2-3. He has been simply spectacular, big game goalie with big time talent.

Big Deaner

Mar 6, 2003
Calgary
Visit site
Le Golie said:
Since Christmas, Plante has been unreal. Tonight he helped complete the huge comeback - backstopping the Wheat Kings to a Game 7 win against Calgary after being down three games to one.

In Game 6 he went into a packed Saddledome and shut down the Hitmen, giving uop one goal on a scramble with 6 seconds left in a 3-1 game.

In Game 7 he once again gave up just one goal as the Wheaties took the series with another 3-1 win.

He was ranked 5th in North America at the CSB mid term rankings. I would suspect he is right up there with Price now at 2-3. He has been simply spectacular, big game goalie with big time talent.

I have only seen him in the Wheat Kings-Hitmen series and I have to tell you he has really won me over. Before the series I had thought highly of him because of his rookie of the year nomination and his gaa, winning and save percentage since Christmas.

But after those first few games I really lost faith in the kid, he looked like a beached whale in net, he was always dropping his stick and he would be on his knees before the Hitmen got over the red line. I think he was really rattled by the pressure, especially playin in front of 16 000 fans at the 'dome. But after game 5 I think he really got his confidence back, settled down and used his size to his advantage. He reminded me of a slightly more conservative version of Dominik Hasek in those last three games of the series, he also seemed like he had ice running through his veins.

He plays an unorthodox style, often down early and he often drops his stick like Hasek when he's down. But he has a wicked glove hand and he is a real big goalie. I really like this kid and think he will be a first rounder.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
I'll echo much that Big Deaner has said. Plante's turnaround in game six and seven was the key to victory. He was inconsistent in games three and four. And it really looked that Brandon would fold.

Major league goaltending from a rookie tender. I may be mistaken but I think Plante backstopped the Wheaties midget team to a national championship?? If that is the case, Plante is well on his way to improving his draft position. Congratulation again to a deserving Wheat Kings team.

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002
Behind Enemy Lines said:
I'll echo much that Big Deaner has said. Plante's turnaround in game six and seven was the key to victory. He was inconsistent in games three and four. And it really looked that Brandon would fold.

Major league goaltending from a rookie tender. I may be mistaken but I think Plante backstopped the Wheaties midget team to a national championship?? If that is the case, Plante is well on his way to improving his draft position. Congratulation again to a deserving Wheat Kings team.

You are correct, Plante won the national midget championship (Air Canada/Telus Cup) last year for the Wheat Kings. He was spectacular in the western regional final against Saskatchewan and carried that momentum right through to the gold medal game. He was the best player in the tournament. He's already proven winner, plain and simple. Very impressed with him this season.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Le Golie said:
You are correct, Plante won the national midget championship (Air Canada/Telus Cup) last year for the Wheat Kings. He was spectacular in the western regional final against Saskatchewan and carried that momentum right through to the gold medal game. He was the best player in the tournament. He's already proven winner, plain and simple. Very impressed with him this season.

Thanks. He was awesome in last year's tournament. Simply money.

Flames Draft Watcher

Feb 27, 2002
Calgary
Visit site
Obviously great results but his technique still needs some work. Far too willing to get himself into a flopping position on the ice where he's vulnerable to anything up high. He does let out quite a bit of rebounds.

I don't think he slips into the 1st personally but stranger things have happened.

Big Deaner

Mar 6, 2003
Calgary
Visit site
Joe Hallenback said:
And his younger brother isnt looking too shabby too :handclap:

Alex Plante will be a hell of a defenceman, I can't believe a 15 year old kid did as well as he did in the playoffs, I was just waiting for the Hitmen's young d-men to collapse, but they never did. Calgary is going to have a good team for the next couple of years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->