Value of: Tyler Parsons and Tristian Jarry

madmike77

Jan 9, 2009
I wouldn't call Parsons untouchable. I just don't think there's much point in trading him as he lost a good chunk of last year to injury and wasn't able to prove a lot, meaning he'd be unlikely to get a good return. I'd prefer to keep him around and see how he can develop when healthy.

SaintMorose

Jul 21, 2009
The problem with trading Parsons isn’t that Tyler has sooo much value, but that the Flames are worried they have no solution in net.

We have a 36 year old Mike Smith who was our mvp for the first 2 months with Gaudreau last season before slowing down then eventually running into injury trouble which is fairly common for him.

Behind that we have Gillies who looks uncomfortable at the NHL level and unless he can calm down his play won’t be an NHL goalie for long.

David Rittich who is ‘okay’ probably unlikely to have a MacElhinney level career, but he works hard and keeps getting better so who knows.

Then Parsons who is a top tier goalie prospect who struggled in transition to pro hockey, dropping his value across the league.

And then some guys who look ‘okay’ some days at camp but no one is really excited for until by some miracle they take a huge jump forward.

So we’d be selling low out of a position of weakness if we traded Parsons right now. And for all we know if Smith goes down maybe he will be the starter as early as this season.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
I'm a Flames fan and wouldn't call Parsons untouchable. He's not a player I'm looking to move so he wouldn't be had for a 2nd or 3rd round pick, but goaltenders are voodoo. You don't know what you have until 5-8 years after you draft them.

Skizwald

Feb 1, 2016
Philadelphia
Parsons spent the entire season in the echl this past season. Going to be at least 2 more years before he’s even ready for backup duties in the nhl. Doubt Calgary would move Gillies. They need an heir to smith in another year.

If minny needs a goalie prospect better to try sandstorm from philly. 3rd round pick in 2015 who just signed but he and hart are slated for the phantoms. Might not be best to have 2 raw ahl rookie goalies at the same time for philly.

Sandstrom is staying in the SHL for another year. He missed a decent chunk of the season this year with an illness and decided to sign for another year. Hart will be splitting time with Alex Lyon, who got a few NHL games in this year and had a damn good Ahl playoff run.

Anthony Stolarz is the odd man out, and would likely be made available. Problem is he missed almost all of last season with injuries, but he was on his way to the NHL before that. Played when Neirvirth and Mason went down and looked pretty decent doing so.

They have 3 goalies slated to play in the AHL next year, but Lyon, while not untouchable, is likely to play a backup role for the Flyers this year when Elliot or Neuvirth inevitably go down with injury. So Stolarz, if he is fully healthy could likely be had for a 3rd round pick, or a project Prospect.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Well I would take "some writer's" opinion over your's tbh.
Opinions are like assholes, everyone has one, being a writer doesn't make it any more valid. In fact I would argue that too often there days writers go for the more controversial take just to gain clicks.

I'm a huge Gillies fan, probably the biggest on HF Flames. I think he is our future #1. But, he is still waiver exempt, Rittich is not. Gillies has not lit the AHL on fire thus far, so another season in the AHL will be a good thing for him and there is no point risking Rittich on waivers under those circumstances. Of course, it is close enough where if Gillies is clearly better in camp he would win the job. But if all things remain equal, common sense says it will be Rittich.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Rumours seem to be that Jarry is available, but only if a team gets desperate. I'm not entirely sure what desperate means in this scenario mind.

The only scenario that really makes sense to me for Jarry getting moved, given the direction Rutherford's been going in, is if he was part of a multi-piece deal for a guy like Zucker. Which I can't imagine particularly interests Wild fans at all.

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
The premise of the OP is that Dubnyk is getting older and they need a replacement. Not sure looking at the Flames is the answer since we're in the exact same boat except Smith is 4 years older.

Flames need one of Rittich, Gillies or Parsons to pan out in the worst way cause Smith's groin is a huge concern going forward, especially at his age.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Casey DeSmith would have to beat out Jarry for the backup role for Jarry to be available. I just don't see that happening.

Edit: Now that I realized..I think DeSmith due to waiver eligibility may end up the back up for that reason. So in case of injury Jarry will be needed.

I don't think that this will be the case. As you said, Jarry doesn't need waivers, while DeSmith does. And DeSmith was easily good enough last season to play the backup role. So while I think Jarry has a higher upside, I think the most likely scenario is that Jarry will be in the minors getting games while DeSmith is in the NHL playing 3-5 games a month. If there's an injury, then sure Jarry will get some games. But otherwise I would expect him to spend the season in WBS.

As for moving Jarry, I think Rutherford would - if the piece was good/young enough to make sense. And honestly, I'm not seeing anyone that Minny would actually move that would make sense for PIT.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
I read somewhere... cant remember where, that Gillies would most likely back up Smith this year.
Rittich and Gillies will be battling for that spot. I hope Gillies wins it because I see more potential in him than Rittich.

mccoyadam

Mar 4, 2013
PA
Casey DeSmith would have to beat out Jarry for the backup role for Jarry to be available. I just don't see that happening.

Edit: Now that I realized..I think DeSmith due to waiver eligibility may end up the back up for that reason. So in case of injury Jarry will be needed.

I think near the end of the year DeSmith did have more of a hold on the backup position that Jarry.
Desmith: 14 GP 11 Started 6-4-1 2.40 GAA .921 sv%
Jarry 26 GP 23 Started 14-6-2 2.77 GAA .908 sv%

Granted DeSmith had a smaller sample size, but also consider Jarry won a decent amount of games early until slumping middle to late in the season, making room for DeSmith. I would think they trade Jarry before DeSmith but I could be wrong.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad