Player Discussion Tyler Motte Appreciation

Diversification

Jun 21, 2019
He's one of those bottom 6 guys the winning teams have. Like Dan Paille/Rich Peverley in Boston when they won, or the likes of Sundqvist and Barbashev in St. Louis. They're the guys that have the utility to do what you need them to do (PK'ing, checking) but can also chip in. He's a keeper.

For now his line with Beagle and Roussel is playing unexpectedly well but eventually the Canucks need to build a cheaper, younger 3rd or 4th line around Motte once Beagle and Roussel are off the books. That's where you hope some of Benning's mid-round draft picks come in handy. Guys like Jasek, Lockwood, etc. Gaudette I suppose makes for a skilled bottom 6 winger.

I'd add Bailey as an option and whenever Hawyrluk slots back into the lineup, would be interested to see if he has 3C/4C potential.

Reactions: HockeyWooot

Bougieman

Nov 12, 2008
Vancouver
Anyone have any clue about the severity of Motte's current injury, and when we might expect him back in the lineup? I really feel like when he's healthy and playing well, it just changes the feel of our bottom six. And when he's out, it's so noticable.

Reactions: CanuckCity

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Anyone have any clue about the severity of Motte's current injury, and when we might expect him back in the lineup? I really feel like when he's healthy and playing well, it just changes the feel of our bottom six. And when he's out, it's so noticable.
High ankle sprain....recovery time is 4-6 weeks....and I think now we're into week #5. But he's back skating and traveling with the team. If there's anyone who can come back early, it's Motter.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Motte has become a very valuable player for the Canucks on and off the ice....a non stop motor and pk'er extraordinaire. But it also took courage to open up about depression and mental illness.

Just a solid bottom six winger and on an affordable contract to boot. Just goes to prove that Jimbo can actually find affordable and good bottom six forwards if he tries.

kanucks25

Chris Tanev #1 Fan
Nov 29, 2013
Surrey, BC
Nothing against the guy, but I feel like his contributions have been quite a bit overblown.

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong but outside of a hot 5~ game streak vs the Blues last year, and a "hot" month to start this year (6p in 15gp, @ 17% shooting including one that directly went off his ass when he wasn't even looking) I haven't really seen much. PK has been just fine without him, too? In other words, I think I just have to see more or a larger sample size to consider him a legit quality bottom-sixer.

All that said, he's playing better than I ever thought he would when we first acquired him and saw him play early on as a Canuck, and he's like the only player in our bottom-6 that out-plays/out-produces his cap-hit, so I'm not complaining. Seems like a great dude, too, so it's hard not to root for him.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
Nothing against the guy, but I feel like his contributions have been quite a bit overblown.

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong but outside of a hot 5~ game streak vs the Blues last year, and a "hot" month to start this year (6p in 15gp, @ 17% shooting including one that directly went off his ass when he wasn't even looking) I haven't really seen much. PK has been just fine without him, too? In other words, I think I just have to see more or a larger sample size to consider him a legit quality bottom-sixer.

All that said, he's playing better than I ever thought he would when we first acquired him and saw him play early on as a Canuck, and he's like the only player in our bottom-6 that out-plays/out-produces his cap-hit, so I'm not complaining. Seems like a great dude, too, so it's hard not to root for him.
I would agree with all of this but when the alternatives are Roussel, Sutter, Virtanen, Gaudette, Michealis you start to miss him. At least you noticed him.

There’s a lot of overhyping based on the bubble and the first month for sure and definitely some avoidance of actually looking at his past numbers.

Reactions: mossey3535

F A N

Aug 12, 2005

I was very cautious in my assessment of Motte previously but I think Motte has "blossomed" into more than the 4th line player we saw when he first joined the Canucks. I think the problem is that he hasn't been able to stay healthy which is not a surprise given the way he plays. He's a high motor guy that relies on his motor running smoothly. Almost every player deals with nagging injuries but it's difficult for a player like Motte because if he's not contributing offensively he's just an energy player where there's not much separating him and say a player like Hawryluk. Still, I think Motte has earned some rope and I hope can come back healthy.

Bougieman

Nov 12, 2008
Vancouver
Not only that, but he's blossomed into one of my favorite Canucks to watch play. He's like Hoglander in that he's always putting in more effort than whomever he's matched up against on the other team. Those are the guys that are fun to see, and make the games worth watching even when the team is not winning as much as you would hope.

kanucks25

Chris Tanev #1 Fan
Nov 29, 2013
Surrey, BC
Maybe Motte does return a second rounder at the
TDL?

Not sure if you were being sarcastic but I don't see a team giving up a 2nd for a 26 year-old that doesn't even average 20p/82.

Unless he has some underlying numbers that are through the roof that I'm not aware of.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
Not sure if you were being sarcastic but I don't see a team giving up a 2nd for a 26 year-old that doesn't even average 20p/82.

Unless he has some underlying numbers that are through the roof that I'm not aware of.
If you’re a contending team and the biggest need you have is a penalty killing energy guy, it’s really hard not to look at Motte since the bubble and think he is a good target considering he’s on a reasonable contract and you get him for two cup pushes.

I don’t think it’s sustainable the way he’s played since the bubble but I understand why he’s a target. I think they could pull a second.

Reactions: Luckylarry

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017

Motte is a cheap bottom six, high energy, PK guy, who has another year at being cheap. Plus he was great in the bubble, and before this injury. I could see a top team giving up a second for him, because he helps them immediately (and is cost controlled) whereas a second is most likely helping them outside of their current window. We are talking pick 50-60 too. Not a high second, but at the back of the round.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Yup.

With the right coach playing him the right minutes, he's a really nice bott0m-6 forward/PK guy. Problem is that Green literally can't help himself from playing him 18-20 minutes/game.

Every coach has their own Jayson Megna

Didalee Hed

I’m trying to understand
Sep 14, 2019
Yup.

With the right coach playing him the right minutes, he's a really nice bott0m-6 forward/PK guy. Problem is that Green literally can't help himself from playing him 18-20 minutes/game.
E3E3AFCF-EC99-463E-A1CE-E864BC3BCF1F.jpeg

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Motte is indisputably the best 3rd-4th liner the Canucks have ..bar one. And it just goes to show how ludicrous it is to dramatically overpay for players to play as bottom-six forwards.

Maybe the Canucks have finally figured it out with players like MacEwen, Michaelis, Hawryluk and Vesey, who all come in well under $1m a season. Unfortunately they still have a lot albatross contracts on the books for guys who aren't even as good.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
Motte is indisputably the best 3rd-4th liner the Canucks have ..bar one. And it just goes to show how ludicrous it is to dramatically overpay for players to play as bottom-six forwards.

Maybe the Canucks have finally figured it out with players like MacEwen, Michaelis, Hawryluk and Vesey, who all come in well under $1m a season. Unfortunately they still have a lot albatross contracts on the books for guys who aren't even as good.
Yeah thats true Jacko, throw Gaudette to the 2R spot and our bottom 6 could be next year any combo of Motte, Macewan, Hawrlyuk, Vesey on decent-cheap contracts instead of

$6 million Eriksson
$4.5 milli Sutter
$3 million Beagle
$3 million Roussell
$3 million LTIRFerland

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad