Player Discussion Tyler Motte: Quick, Closes Gaps. Tenacious, Shutdown Player. 5th in NHL in SH TOI (F); 43rd in PP GA

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
It could be worse. Columbus has nothing left from the Vanek trade either. And although he was decent in the playoffs the Jackets didn't even get out of the first round. Motte ended up in Torts' doghouse for some reason. But apparently Brackett and the Canucks have liked him since his days with the USNDT and the U of Michigan, so who knows?

I don't think Motte was in Torts' doghouse. He was basically Columbus' first callup guy and I don't think Torts hesitated to use him. But it's not like Motte clearly deserved to be in the lineup and didn't play because Torts didn't like him. His NHL numbers speak for itself.

Curmudgeon

Aug 18, 2018
Watching the game live, he was the player I noticed the most to be honest and not because of the significant playing time he received but the constant effort and effectiveness really stood out. Motte was completely off my radar, I never had him penciled into the lineup at any point, and not seeing last four exhibition games, I was shocked to see him making the team to start the season. What a pleasant surprise, I can see why it was impossible to send him down.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Yes, Motte with 21 minutes of ice-time, compared to Pettersson who has just over nine minutes. But I guess that's what happens when your team takes a parade of penalties and your top sniper isn't part of the pk. But Motte's work on the pk should keep him in the lineup indefinitely. Forces turnovers and relentless work along the wall.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
... aaaaaaaand exactly what a few of us said would happen has happened with this player.

Exact same story as Columbus last year and Chicago the year before. Wins a job in preseason by going 110% balls-out and doing things coaches love like blocking shots like a madman.

Then the season hits and when he's forced to drop his intensity level to a manageable level for an 82-game grind, he's exposed as a small, untalented, AHL player.

Now 18 games without a goal and has been ourscored 15-7 at ES since opening night. Still getting 14 minutes/game somehow as a top-9 fixture.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
... aaaaaaaand exactly what a few of us said would happen has happened with this player.

Exact same story as Columbus last year and Chicago the year before. Wins a job in preseason by going 110% balls-out and doing things coaches love like blocking shots like a madman.

Then the season hits and when he's forced to drop his intensity level to a manageable level for an 82-game grind, he's exposed as a small, untalented, AHL player.

Now 18 games without a goal and has been ourscored 15-7 at ES since opening night. Still getting 14 minutes/game somehow as a top-9 fixture.

But if we got a pick for Vanek instead, we would have to fill those 14 minutes!

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Yes, Motte with 21 minutes of ice-time, compared to Pettersson who has just over nine minutes. But I guess that's what happens when your team takes a parade of penalties and your top sniper isn't part of the pk. But Motte's work on the pk should keep him in the lineup indefinitely. Forces turnovers and relentless work along the wall.
Agreed...a durable player who goes to all the tough areas (and gets mugged almost every game)..I've really liked his play,along with the other additions in the bottom 6 (Roussel,Beagle)...Its unfortunate that with both Sutter and Beagle out our PK has dropped a bit (was 8th around the time Beagle got injured).

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Agreed...a durable player who goes to all the tough areas (and gets mugged almost every game)..I've really liked his play,along with the other additions in the bottom 6 (Roussel,Beagle)...Its unfortunate that with both Sutter and Beagle out our PK has dropped a bit (was 8th around the time Beagle got injured).

You might like his work ethic but he's a bad player getting terrible results.

Reactions: timw33

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
I'm assuming the title of this thread came from Benning's pro-scouting report. Add Motte to the long list of AHL "age gap" players acquired by this regime who receive way more rope than they deserve. Probably yet another player who ends up in Europe after his time with the Canucks.

pgj98m3

Jan 8, 2012
Well after Benning extends him with 5x$5-7 he may just retire a Canuck.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Yup, sign me to a contract and I’ll give balls to the walls effort. I won’t be very useful but the effort will be there

Skate around the entire rink for 30 seconds, accomplishing nothing but making it seem like you accomplished something because you skated miles. Easiest job in the world.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Just to continue on on Motte :

- currently has an absolutely godawful GA/60 of 4.5. That has translated 15 ES goals against in 19 games. By comparison, in similar minutes last year, Brendan Gaunce was on the ice for 12 ES goals in 37 games ... but somehow can't get out of the pressbox.

- started the year with 32 hits in his first 10 games. Has 11 hits in his last 9 - basically 1/3 of the rate he started at.

So this is a guy absolutely bleeding goals while doing zilch offensively. But he hustles to make a shot block occasionally, so fans (and a head coach) with a terrible eye test think he's doing great. He sucks.

Reactions: Peter10 and timw33

BerSTUzzi

Jan 24, 2006
Kamloops
The teams obsession with getting faster is good, but only when the guy uses his speed for something. Skating around fast and doing nothing is the same as a player that is too slow to keep up with the play.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Skate around the entire rink for 30 seconds, accomplishing nothing but making it seem like you accomplished something because you skated miles. Easiest job in the world.
Sounds like Leipsic to me. But of course nobody is really expecting Motte to score. His track record in both the NHL and AHL doesn't give any indication of it. So when everyone's back, the first guys shipped out to Utica are Gaunce, Archibald and Leipsic in that order. If they tried to sneak Motte down to the minors, they'd probably lose him on waivers.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Sounds like Leipsic to me. But of course nobody is really expecting Motte to score. His track record in both the NHL and AHL doesn't give any indication of it. So when everyone's back, the first guys shipped out to Utica are Gaunce, Archibald and Leipsic in that order. If they tried to sneak Motte down to the minors, they'd probably lose him on waivers.

Losing Motte on waivers would be completely insignificant. He's not an NHL-calibre player.

Reactions: timw33

Fire Benning

diaper filled piss baby
Oct 2, 2016
Hell
It seems teams have been tricked by Motte because of of energetic he can be. Canucks fell into that trap by acquiring him, besides skating and trying hard, he has no qualities of a regular NHL player.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010

How is Motte not grouped into the players you mentioned? How? Please explain this to me.

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation

Why? Every team has guys like this on the farm.

As for doing Leipsic's job by skating round and round and not scoring, sure. He can do that. But can he fall down for no reason?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->