Player Discussion Tyler Motte: Quick, Closes Gaps. Tenacious, Shutdown Player. 5th in NHL in SH TOI (F); 43rd in PP GA

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
The rare 'scouting report thread title.'

Really like what he brings to the team..
We have one free assignment left with Motte.

After the next game he plays, he'll require waivers... so I expect him to start in the A and gets called up to stay for good later in the season as the roster works itself out.

He's looked more like an NHLer than Dahlen, Goldobin and Granlund.
Granlund's been good so far.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Motte has been one of 'the stories' at this training camp. It seems there's always one guy who wills himself into the picture. One training camp it was Hutton; then it was Stecher.

I can't see how the Canucks keep Motte off the opening night roster. He's earned it. But of course the regular season is a totally different animal and it remains to be seen whether he can bring the same energy and grit to the table night after night.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Motte has been one of 'the stories' at this training camp. It seems there's always one guy who wills himself into the picture. One training camp it was Hutton; then it was Stecher.

I can't see how the Canucks keep Motte off the opening night roster. He's earned it. But of course the regular season is a totally different animal and it remains to be seen whether he can bring the same energy and grit to the table night after night.

I think Motte will likely be sent down to the AHL since he is waiver exempt. Has he done enough to make the roster? Yes. Has he done enough to clearly beat out 4+ guys that likely include Gagner, Leipsic, Gaunce, Granlund who need to go on waivers to be sent down? I'm not so sure. There are still a couple of games remaining.

Reactions: geebaan

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
Canucks will likely move a body once the season starts. They should be looking to get a late pick for a forward.

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
He's done enough to make the team but he will have to do a lot more to stay. He could easily be gone by Christmas.

Grub

First Line Troll
Jun 30, 2008
B.C
Well he gave it all and made the team, I thought it was well deserved. Sad part is I think Motte will be the next whipping boy (Megna & Chaput).

We are always harsh on these type of players.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Well he gave it all and made the team, I thought it was well deserved. Sad part is I think Motte will be the next whipping boy (Megna & Chaput).

We are always harsh on these type of players.
I really don't think Motte will ever be a whipping boy on these Boards. He has a motor that never stops; is a burr under the saddle to play against; and a pretty effective penalty killer. Anything he produces in way of offense would be a bonus. And since he's replacing the aforementioned Megna, Chaput and Gaunce, he's already got a leg up.

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia
I completely stand by the fact that Motte was Jayson Megna tier garbage last season.

That being said, he's had an encouraging preseason and I'll gladly admit that I'm wrong about him if he can keep this up.

Nice surprise.

Reactions: pgj98m3

absolute garbage

Jan 22, 2006
He's like a speedier version of Dorsett. Probably little less skill and perceived "physicality", but similar player. Just like Dorsett, he also overcommits and gets out of position a bit too much.

Wonder how long he can keep this intensity up. Like Dorsett, once that goes down a notch, he stops being an NHL level player.

Reactions: pgj98m3

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
There is epic level of whinging and complaining in that thread...very comical.

It’s par for the course unfortunately.

In some people’s worlds, the sky is always grey and/or falling for whatever reason. It’s baffling really. My guess is that a lot of people that are whining and complaining now, were probably whining and complaining almost as much between 2008-2013. Some people can’t be happy for whatever reason.

Reactions: Draino

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
Excellent pro scouting move as usual to get this guy for Vanek

if motte pans out it is more the rewards of a shotgun approach of chasing multiple bubble guys with upside rather than the particular scouting of this player. they had no trading option other than motte so you can hardly praise pro scouting for doing more than say "he's worth a shot".

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
I was impressed by his game. I hope he can keep up this style of play and tenacity over the course of the season, as he was fighting for a job up until a few days ago and really felt the heat (similar to Virtanen elevating his play last pre-season). This season will be a good test for him if he can maintain this level of play.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I completely stand by the fact that Motte was Jayson Megna tier garbage last season.

That being said, he's had an encouraging preseason and I'll gladly admit that I'm wrong about him if he can keep this up.

Nice surprise.
Don't see any comparable with Megna, who was a swift skater but strictly a perimeter player. Motte is a hound-dog on the puck and is pretty physical for a player his size. Can play up and down the lineup, center or wing so far more versatile. A nice pickup by Jimbo.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
If Motte becomes a whipping boy here it's mostly because he's what's left of the Vanek trade.

Intangibos

High-End Intangibos
Apr 5, 2010
Burnaby
If Motte becomes a whipping boy here it's mostly because he's what's left of the Vanek trade.

If Motte keeps it up I'm happy with the return. Sure it's nice to get a solid pick for Vanek, but if Motte can solidify himself as a 4th line checking player it's fine. If he can move up to the 3rd line it's fantastic IMO.

Reactions: F A N

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
It could be worse. Columbus has nothing left from the Vanek trade either. And although he was decent in the playoffs the Jackets didn't even get out of the first round. Motte ended up in Torts' doghouse for some reason. But apparently Brackett and the Canucks have liked him since his days with the USNDT and the U of Michigan, so who knows?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->