Confirmed with Link: Tyler Johnson re-signed: 7 years, AAV 5m

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Yup. $5m is a good price. 7 years is worrisome, but hey, you can't expect these guys to sacrifice lifetime financial security to keep the team safe.

Good, fair deal, really. 0.5m more than Killer, for a player who's shown flashes of brilliance throughout his career. If we get Palat for a similar price, then the one very positive thing SFY accomplished in this off-season is cleaning up our cap concerns.

berlin

04, 20, 21, CHAMPS
Jul 14, 2012
Kokomo
He better have a bounce back season, if not it will be a mistake. Of course if he does bounce back then it's a great signing.

The Gongshow

Fire JBB
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto
AVV is totally fine, 2 years too many but his cap hit is low so buy out is possible or trade as well since its not too much money. I'm happy with the signing

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Perfect AAV, but 2 years too long. Expected after Killorn, though

I don't think it's reasonable to expect everyone to take less term. Yzerman's been pretty vocal about not liking to give term, but there are two sides to every negotiation.

The money works. Leaves us lots of room to keep Kucherov, Point, etc when the time comes. And let's not forget Johnson has been one of our three heroic playoff performers in the current era.

He showed at the end of last season that it's still in him to be a top-end 2C. Consistency and health are always a concern, but it's not like we gave him the moon.

Cmac66

Apr 18, 2017
5 million is brilliant, think 7 years is to long but if we have a healthy Johnson then will look like a bargain.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Players get term these days. You can't get everything you want in a contract. (Except the Kucherov bridge.)

TeslaCoilFan

Slightly Elite Fan
Mar 17, 2017
West of the Moon
Yay! Glad to have Johnny back on board!! :handclap: Was watching some old playoff highlights and he was just magic at times! Started playing more like himself in the last half of the season until the Day The Centers Fell.

Great AAV. Am somewhat okay with the term since it comes with a decent cap hit.

Might wanna stock up on some bubble wrap though. ;)

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Not a good deal but not a bad deal either. It's not like I think Johnson will fall off and be crap in a few years, it's the fact we have all these good prospects hitting pro and with a lot of guys locked up long term finding spots is gonna be tough. Yzerman hasn't really traded too many prospects for immediate help but something's gotta give soon.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Not a good deal but not a bad deal either. It's not like I think Johnson will fall off and be crap in a few years, it's the fact we have all these good prospects hitting pro and with a lot of guys locked up long term finding spots is gonna be tough. Yzerman hasn't really traded too many prospects for immediate help but something's gotta give soon.

We'll have to wait and see what kind of trade protection Johnson's getting too. That AAV will be easy to move, if need be, for a proven playoff performer still in his 20s. So if Point comes up and overtakes him immediately, we could still see Johnson moved next year, or the year after when Point's contract is up.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009

This, not bad but not good either. AVV is great but term brings it down. Anyways most of us pegged Johnson in for 5m at the lowest, lol @ "Cap troubles".

We could've resigned Drouin, Palat and Johnson easily this summer.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Good Av. Hate the term but like others said that's what happens now days. Here's hoping he can return to form and stay healthy for the majority of this contract. If so it's a bargain.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
This, not bad but not good either. AVV is great but term brings it down. Anyways most of us pegged Johnson in for 5m at the lowest, lol @ "Cap troubles".

We could've resigned Drouin, Palat and Johnson easily this summer.
Kucherov is the biggest worry now we might have to pay him a 8.5 avv like stamkos after the mcdavid deal we all saw. Great avv for johnson at 5 I was expecting 5.5 . Anything under 5.5 for palat will be golden

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Kucherov is the biggest worry now we might have to pay him a 8.5 avv like stamkos after the mcdavid deal we all saw. Great avv for johnson at 5 I was expecting 5.5 . Anything under 5.5 for palat will be golden

I don't think there's any real worry on Kucherov. We'll have Coburn and Girardi money coming off the books, and Callahan for only another year, which makes a buyout (I think) a little more reasonable, if we're desperate for cash.

Outl4w

Dec 16, 2011
FL
Justin
Abdelkader and Darren Helm make 1 million less. For a guy that puts up significantly more points and shows up for the playoffs, I will take that contract. That is a steal. If he scores 50 to 70 points consistently it will be a top value contract.

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay

Any word on movement/trade clauses?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad