Player Discussion Tyler Ennis - LW

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
We have to ice a roster. He's a good enough fill in piece. He has speed , hands and a decent shot .. He plays a little like Duclair .. makes the most of what he's got .. plays more of an individual game than a team game.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
He’s on pace for over 40 points making 800k. Not much more you can ask for. I’m interested to see if he’s traded because I think he’s be perfect to keep around for cheap.

He is only cheap until the end of the season... At that point his cost is TBD. At this rate I think he would hope for $2-3 x 2 to stay in Ottawa which removed the "cheap" part of the perfect to keep around idea.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
I think he would be a perfect 4th line vet winger. And I mean the new NHL fourth line, a line that gets equal minutes, bring energy and can score.

Ennis and a couple kids. We have so many bottom nine looking kids right now that we can easily flesh out 3 lines of quality play in the future.

It’s hard not to like a guy that works as hard as he does, and can skate like he can. At worst he’s a solid role model for how a bottom six winger can play and contribute.

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
I have really liked the way Ennis has played lately. I am normally not as big of a fan of smaller players but Ennis has won me over. I am open to any smaller player that competes as hard and plays as well as Ennis has.

I would likely trade him at the deadline from an asset management standpoint but at this point I would be very open to bringing him back in the offseason. Hopefully he continues to play as well as he has.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
4th line vet pretty much has to be replacement level cost. Every cent spent on the 4th line wingers limits an upgrade someplace else.

15 G RFA’s are getting $5 million and don’t win hockey games. Average forward cost needs to be around $3.7 for 13 F on a cap team. If you want to have some $10 or $8 mill forwards you have to have some $1 forwards.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
The good thing about Ennis is that he’s probably looking to stay in the league over cashing in big. If we feel that he can be helpful over the next two years of team development, he won’t cost too much in my opinion.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Good shinny player doing what he can to stay up the lineup. May get a mid round pick for him from a team looking for some secondary scoring in their bottom 6. I'd be more inclined to move on from him than to entertain keeping him

Reactions: bert

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Good shinny player doing what he can to stay up the lineup. May get a mid round pick for him from a team looking for some secondary scoring in their bottom 6. I'd be more inclined to move on from him than to entertain keeping him

Yeah, “good shinny player” is a pretty sweet diss for a guy with almost 300 pts in the NHL.

[mod]

Last edited by a moderator:

coladin

Sep 18, 2009

He is making the most of his opportunity, not unlike Pageau. Pageau and Ennis have been put in roles that coaches feel would be best. Only when Pageau and Ennis get more opportunity do they show what they can do. Some players get all the breaks, others not so much

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
The good thing about Ennis is that he’s probably looking to stay in the league over cashing in big. If we feel that he can be helpful over the next two years of team development, he won’t cost too much in my opinion.
With so many forwards knocking on the door, wasting a roster space on Tyler Ennis is probably not a good idea, no matter the cost.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
With so many forwards knocking on the door, wasting a roster space on Tyler Ennis is probably not a good idea, no matter the cost.

I agree, sort of. In theory yes, but if we still want a few vets around for the next few years at moderate cost I would prefer Ennis over Anisimov, Boedker, Ryan, etc...

I think Ennis can play on any line and would be a good 4th line forward playing with a kid getting some burn time for example.

I figure that if we move him, and I’m ok with that if it happens, we will likely be looking for another vet to add to the roster in the summer.

As I said I’m open to whatever, I just don’t see an absolute need to trade him as I feel that he plays the game the right way and has a role in this rebuilding team should he want that.

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
Ennis has been pretty darn good, IMO. Has wheels and a good motor.

He's being overused by the coaching staff but that's not his fault. To me he's a really good, cheap bottom 6er.

Reactions: Sensmileletsgo

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
Ennis has been pretty darn good, IMO. Has wheels and a good motor.

He's being overused by the coaching staff but that's not his fault. To me he's a really good, cheap bottom 6er.

Agreed. He's played really well considering his role and salary. He's also started to show a lot more creativity and has been attacking on the forecheck which is a plus for a guy like him. Really good vet who can show the young guys some good habits.

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
figure that if we move him, and I’m ok with that if it happens, we will likely be looking for another vet to add to the roster in the summer.
There is really no need to sign any UFA vets. At this point next year, White, Chabot, Duclair, C Brown should all fit the "vet" criteria, while be much younger than your standard "vet". Unfortunately, there will be no room for coaches selections like Ennis, Sabs, etc.

Brown, Batherson, Norris, Formenton, Balcers, Abramov will all be pushing for roster spots next year, they are even proving right now that they are very close. The team should definitely re-sign Connor Brown, Duclair and Nick Paul. Add in Tkachuk, White, and the already under contract Anisimov and the forward position is pretty stacked and that's not including Pageau, who they may want to extend, nor would there be room for both Byfield and Lafreniere once we draft them 1 and 2..:thumbu:

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
There is really no need to sign any UFA vets. At this point next year, White, Chabot, Duclair, C Brown should all fit the "vet" criteria, while be much younger than your standard "vet". Unfortunately, there will be no room for coaches selections like Ennis, Sabs, etc.

Brown, Batherson, Norris, Formenton, Balcers, Abramov will all be pushing for roster spots next year, they are even proving right now that they are very close. The team should definitely re-sign Connor Brown, Duclair and Nick Paul. Add in Tkachuk, White, and the already under contract Anisimov and the forward position is pretty stacked and that's not including Pageau, who they may want to extend, nor would there be room for both Byfield and Lafreniere once we draft them 1 and 2..:thumbu:

It’s hard not to like the scenario you’ve put forth :)

Reactions: BatherSeason

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
Tyler Ennis is playing solid and may fetch a 3rd/4th pick from playoff bound teams. No need to re-sign any 4th line players with the pipeline potentially bumping someone like Paul down the lineup as soon as next season.

I wonder if he has a cousin named Peter.

Answer

Dec 17, 2006
Edmonton
I like Ennis. He is small, but my god, it is so hard to take the puck away from him along the boards, in the offensive zone. He has pretty good puck handling skills, and is pretty nifty and deceptive with his movement.

Something I was hoping Tkachuk would be able to do when we first drafted him, but that turned into a comedy flick, pretty quick

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
I like Ennis. He is small, but my god, it is so hard to take the puck away from him along the boards, in the offensive zone. He has pretty good puck handling skills, and is pretty nifty and deceptive with his movement.

Something I was hoping Tkachuk would be able to do when we first drafted him, but that turned into a comedy flick, pretty quick

giving up on Tkachuk being able to do that before he hits 21 yrs of age is a pretty safe way of making sure you're wrong

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Ennis is putting up respectable 2-3 line value for a winger.

He is a nice fill in type player to have while some of the prospects find their games. Maybe a one year deal with decent cash is the way to go.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005

What a comment

Ennis and Tkachuk are about as different physical specimens as can be and both be professional athletes

Ennis maintains control via shiftiness. Tkachuk below the dots maintains control with power and he is really good at possessing the puck down low.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Yeah, “good shinny player” is a pretty sweet diss for a guy with almost 300 pts in the NHL.

[mod]
He is aweful defenisvely. Incredibly irresponsible with the puck. You said you want him as a 4th liner, which is exactly not the type of player you want on the 4th line. He has some skill and has been good in spurts no doubt he can make plays but its often high risk. He has no long term future with this team. If they can get anything for him as an expiring UFA they should do it. A team like Edmonton could use him.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
He is aweful defenisvely. Incredibly irresponsible with the puck. You said you want him as a 4th liner, which is exactly not the type of player you want on the 4th line. He has some skill and has been good in spurts no doubt he can make plays but its often high risk. He has no long term future with this team. If they can get anything for him as an expiring UFA they should do it. A team like Edmonton could use him.

I don’t mind if they trade him, especially if he has worked his ass of this season to earn a trade and potential deal with a contender, but the guy hasn’t been “awful” anywhere on the ice.

I’d also be fine if DJ and PD decide that he’s worth holding on to, and if he wants to stay for a bit to help the transition.

I think he’s been great for the team, and has been a great example on the ice for how tenacious and relentless we want our kids to play. I put high value on that on our developing team.

He’s not likely going to return a high pick, so I personally want what’s best for the team which could either be a mentoring vet, or later pick. Either way I’m really happy with the player he’s been for us (he has his warts, like everyone, but I think he’s been excellent overall for us).

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I don’t mind if they trade him, especially if he has worked his ass of this season to earn a trade and potential deal with a contender, but the guy hasn’t been “awful” anywhere on the ice.

I’d also be fine if DJ and PD decide that he’s worth holding on to, and if he wants to stay for a bit to help the transition.

I think he’s been great for the team, and has been a great example on the ice for how tenacious and relentless we want our kids to play. I put high value on that on our developing team.

He’s not likely going to return a high pick, so I personally want what’s best for the team which could either be a mentoring vet, or later pick. Either way I’m really happy with the player he’s been for us (he has his warts, like everyone, but I think he’s been excellent overall for us).

He turns the puck over in high danger areas all over the ice its not a good example for the young players no matter how hard he works. I think he has been pretty much exactly what I expected from a contribution stand point. I personally expected a smarter player with less offensive ability than he has shown. He is the perfect player on a team in the position the sens are in, he provides excitment when you watch the games but isnt a long term solution on a contender.

Where do you see him fitting in exactly? Balcers needs ice time, I see him as a direct replacement. They will need to make room in Belleville and its time to manage the assets correctly and trade the players on expiring deals.

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
He turns the puck over in high danger areas all over the ice its not a good example for the young players no matter how hard he works. I think he has been pretty much exactly what I expected from a contribution stand point. I personally expected a smarter player with less offensive ability than he has shown. He is the perfect player on a team in the position the sens are in, he provides excitment when you watch the games but isnt a long term solution on a contender.

Where do you see him fitting in exactly? Balcers needs ice time, I see him as a direct replacement. They will need to make room in Belleville and its time to manage the assets correctly and trade the players on expiring deals.
Ennis has also gotten way more rope than any other player on this team, most likely because of the coach, which was exactly what we hated about Boucher/Pyatt. With all the young blood coming up, playing favorites is exactly how DJ will lose the room.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->