Player Discussion Tyler Ennis - LW

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
He turns the puck over in high danger areas all over the ice its not a good example for the young players no matter how hard he works. I think he has been pretty much exactly what I expected from a contribution stand point. I personally expected a smarter player with less offensive ability than he has shown. He is the perfect player on a team in the position the sens are in, he provides excitment when you watch the games but isnt a long term solution on a contender.

Where do you see him fitting in exactly? Balcers needs ice time, I see him as a direct replacement. They will need to make room in Belleville and its time to manage the assets correctly and trade the players on expiring deals.

I agree with most of this. He will likely be traded, and both sides likely want this. I’ve just enjoyed watching him and wouldn’t be upset if he decided that he wanted to stick around and help with the transition. I don’t see him getting a strong return at the TDL, though I’d be stoked if he did.

I don’t have a need to keep him in particular or anything, and agree that the UFAs will all be traded or not brought back for the most part. His spot will be taken for sure, but I personally don’t see any more than two kids making it up front next season, and I’m not holding my breath as to who will end up earning a spot for good (we all want Bath and Bal to slid in for sure, but who knows). Some may be almost good enough, but we still need to bring them along slowly and in small enough groups that we can properly interacts them into the NHL.

We still need a few vets around.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Ennis has also gotten way more rope than any other player on this team, most likely because of the coach, which was exactly what we hated about Boucher/Pyatt. With all the young blood coming up, playing favorites is exactly how DJ will lose the room.

That’s what you hated. Pyatt was effective until the last year when he wasn’t anymore, along with the rest of the team almost to a man.

GB was trying to win games and Pyatt was a solid player for us, and one of the few players that wasn’t a negative in the ice. He was a nice little story and I personally am proud of him being able to work his way back to the NHL for a bit. Our current team is being built on everyone playing as hard as he used to play.

This idea that DJ is attached to players that don’t warrant their ice time is fan bullshit. Ennis gets his burn time because he makes things happen on the ice, and on this team he models hard work, relentless forechecking, and provides offence.

There is nothing but good stuff about our coach out there, but you’re already talking about him losing the room? Come on dude, Ennis plays a top six role on our team deservingly, and no one is being handed free ice time, especially the kids.... on purpose!

‘Young blood’ has to earn a spot out of camp, and it has to work itself up the line up. Our 4th line isn’t some vet checking line anymore, it’s a spot for limiting and sheltering young players. Some guys have performed well and moved up, others have started higher and been moved down to be sheltered, like Brown.

Ennis and others fill up the ice time so that the kids can be given more ice time as they show they can handle what they have. Rushing the kids is more than just calling them up early, it’s also about forcing them to play above their heads at the NHL level. The entire focus of the GM down to the equipment guys is to develop the culture, identity, and play of our young players, and their ice time is being monitored based on their development, not throttled so that Ennis can play more because DJ likes him...

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
Can we just re-sign this guy to cheap?

93-18-31-49

In Ottawa while getting paid near minimum on the bottom lines with scrubs for the most part. He's feisty and skilled and can create offense on his own and doesn't cost much at all while not being a liability defensively. He's a team guy in the room. Why not offer this guy like a 3 year 4.5 mil deal(1.5 per) or something. Give him some security and let him play wing with or young guys coming up over the next couple years.

This guys been good here and he's a team guy and plays the hard forecheck team style and hasnt had security in a while.

Laphroaig

Aug 26, 2011
The Town Fun Forgot
Can we just re-sign this guy to cheap?

93-18-31-49

In Ottawa while getting paid near minimum on the bottom lines with scrubs for the most part. He's feisty and skilled and can create offense on his own and doesn't cost much at all while not being a liability defensively. He's a team guy in the room. Why not offer this guy like a 3 year 4.5 mil deal(1.5 per) or something. Give him some security and let him play wing with or young guys coming up over the next couple years.

This guys been good here and he's a team guy and plays the hard forecheck team style and hasnt had security in a while.
I like Ennis a lot but there's no need to give him a three year deal. I'm sure he'd re-sign for one year with a contract similar to the one he signed this year. He's not the kind of player to be handed a multi year deal at this stage of his career.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
I like Ennis a lot but there's no need to give him a three year deal. I'm sure he'd re-sign for one year with a contract similar to the one he signed this year. He's not the kind of player to be handed a multi year deal at this stage of his career.

Oh for sure. Sorry, was a bit tipsy. Meant more of a 2 year deal.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
IDK maybe another one yr deal for Ennis IF they still have a taxi squad for next season. We know that if they have too many vets this coaching staff will play them over better younger players who take too many risks with the puck.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
I’ve come to the conclusion Ennis and Sanford are the same players in different bodies. Neither accomplishes much.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Two years ago Ennis got a 7th? His game isn’t as strong now … he may not be tradeable for any real asset.

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
Two years ago Ennis got a 7th? His game isn’t as strong now … he may not be tradeable for any real asset.

It was a 5th, but I agree that he's probably not moving this year.

I wouldn't be surprised if Sanford is the only forward they move at the deadline.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I think iut could be possible for them to move Tierny, Sanford, J. Brown, Ennis, Forsberg & maybe Paul if they can't get him re-signed. All these guys have NHL experience & could be deth for playoff teams, guys get injured in the playoffs.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
I cannot stand Tyler Ennis. The dude can change direction on a dime but it's literally the only thing he can do at this point at a nhl level.

Reactions: GCK

Butchy Dakkar

Dark Butch Yak didn't seem right.
Oct 3, 2020
I cannot stand Tyler Ennis. The dude can change direction on a dime but it's literally the only thing he can do at this point at a nhl level.
Didn’t he have a hatty not too long ago?

I know he’s not top 6 material, but he seems like a dynamic depth option, sometimes a bona fide threat. If nothing else he’s fun to watch.

I don’t get the Ennis hate for his price. Also, he’s a vet.

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007

I know he’s not top 6 material, but he seems like a dynamic depth option, sometimes a bona fide threat. If nothing else he’s fun to watch.

Also an excellent forechecker. Speedy little tenacious forechecker.

Reactions: Butchy Dakkar

JD1

Sep 12, 2005

For the price? Yes. Great value. I just look forward to the day he's no longer here

Reactions: GCK

GCK

Oct 15, 2018

Sanford had a hat trick as well. Not overly relevant.

Butchy Dakkar

Dark Butch Yak didn't seem right.
Oct 3, 2020
Sanford had a hat trick as well. Not overly relevant.

My comment is in response to the statement “but it's literally the only thing he can do at this point at a nhl level.”

I wouldn’t apply that statement to Sanford either.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
My comment is in response to the statement “but it's literally the only thing he can do at this point at a nhl level.”

I wouldn’t apply that statement to Sanford either.
Ennis skates around like a bat out of hell but never actually accomplished anything. Sanford accomplishes more but at twice the price. We need better on both fronts.

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
Ennis is a decent player but if we're a competitor he's basically the perfect 13th forward. Once an injury occurs he can step in with energy and score. Maybe even play a game or two in the top 6.

If he had Hoffman's shot or Pageau's toughness he'd be a good player but he doesn't. I'd sign him as an extra at league minimum but hopefully he is not a regular in our lineup.

Reactions: coladin

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
This should be Ennis' last yr on this team, Kelly can bring just as much energy & occassionally pot one too & plays a safer game, but there are probably other prospects too who can improve the team even more.

Reactions: Sweatred

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
His season - and likely his Sens career - is over. Sad way to go out, but I think not having him as an option - essentially a guy who we only play because he's there & a good guy - is probably for the best. Lets see what else we've got.

Reactions: aragorn and bert

thesensguy

Apr 5, 2014
Ottawa,Ontario
Sad that he’s done. Should have never been scratched this season, much better player than both Sanford and Tierney, who wouldn’t be in the league if they were Ennis’ size.

mianjo

Jan 16, 2009
But we get Tierney back............................................

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad