Player Discussion Tyler Ennis - LW

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
I know this is weird, but for some reason I'm getting Clarke Macarthur vibes here... (when we signed him, not the concussion history).

Me too, but I sense the “Full MacArthur” scenario is coming.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Fast and talented bottom 6 veteran. He’s not blocking any kids, he’s providing shelter, mentor ship, and ensuring that we don’t have to rush any kids up into the NHL.

Development is key here, we all talked about wanting to not rush players, and this is what it looks like.

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
I actually really like this if it keeps most of the kids in Belleville (until the trade deadline anyways).

Batherson has shown he deserves the inside track on a spot, Brown may have a spot as well. Guys like Formenton, Balcers, Chlapik, Davidsson and Abramov need to earn their spots and not be handed anything. Having a vet like Ennis around will (kind of) help that. I hope PD isn't done in all honesty, even if I suspect he is. Another guy in this ilk (or even a PTO when the time comes) would be a good way of making the kids earn it.

Reactions: TkachukNorris79

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Hopefully, PD can trade this guy leading up to the deadline for a future pick.

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
New article

https://thehockeywriters.com/senators-sign-ennis-future-in-mind/

Future with the Senators

Ennis comes to Ottawa with much the same as last season, but there are a few special circumstances that could make his time with the Senators much more successful.
The first thing to note is that he is a natural winger, which he played in junior and during his most successful years in Buffalo, but he also plays center and has done so frequently in the NHL. That means he can fit into nearly any spot in the lineup, depending on where he is needed.
Very few roster spots are secure on the Senators. Only Brady Tkachuk and Colin White look to be guaranteed top-six roles. The rest of the team could end up virtually anywhere, depending on their training camp.
That gives Ennis the opportunity to fill in as needed. New coach D.J. Smith is familiar with him –and likewise Ennis with Smith’s system from playing in Toronto – and could rely on him to add stability early in the season while rookies like Drake Batherson get their feet under them. There’s also some familiarity with new development coach Clarke MacArthur, who played in Medicine Hat from 2002-05, leaving just before Ennis arrived. MacArthur could use him to help mentor young players.

operasen

Apr 27, 2004
New article

https://thehockeywriters.com/senators-sign-ennis-future-in-mind/

Future with the Senators

Ennis comes to Ottawa with much the same as last season, but there are a few special circumstances that could make his time with the Senators much more successful.
The first thing to note is that he is a natural winger, which he played in junior and during his most successful years in Buffalo, but he also plays center and has done so frequently in the NHL. That means he can fit into nearly any spot in the lineup, depending on where he is needed.
Very few roster spots are secure on the Senators. Only Brady Tkachuk and Colin White look to be guaranteed top-six roles. The rest of the team could end up virtually anywhere, depending on their training camp.
That gives Ennis the opportunity to fill in as needed. New coach D.J. Smith is familiar with him –and likewise Ennis with Smith’s system from playing in Toronto – and could rely on him to add stability early in the season while rookies like Drake Batherson get their feet under them. There’s also some familiarity with new development coach Clarke MacArthur, who played in Medicine Hat from 2002-05, leaving just before Ennis arrived. MacArthur could use him to help mentor young players.
Good points on the fit. One of the better recent signings or trades. Certainly better than Boedker level players

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Not completely sure. Somewhere in our bottom six. I feel like most of the forwards in our lineup are kind of interchangeable.

Seems to be pretty strong defensively.

Yes, we have 4 lines of bottom six type players. The prognostications for 2019-20 don’t look rosy other than for a top 5 draft pick. :)

Reactions: NB613

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Every time he has the puck he tries to make something happen.

I love that.

Im really enjoying his constant drive to the net, his shifty board battles, and his unrelenting attack with or without the puck.

He is yet another player on this team that sets a standard for effort and determination every shift.

Obviously we all want some more high end skill, but I appreciate that when it arrives it will have to meet the work ethic standards that the less skilled players have already set for this club.

Reactions: Sen sational

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
A lot of disdain for Ennis. All he has done is played 100% and people don't think he is any good, but at the same time have incredibly high standards on what they expect from him. Weird

Reactions: Variable26

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
A lot of disdain for Ennis. All he has done is played 100% and people don't think he is any good, but at the same time have incredibly high standards on what they expect from him. Weird
Ennis really struggled for the first few weeks but has definitely turned it around. He has also been given a much longer rope than most, that's maybe where the disdain comes from. Obviously coach was patient with him and it worked.

tardigrade81

Jun 12, 2019
Saskatchewan
Fast and talented bottom 6 veteran. He’s not blocking any kids, he’s providing shelter, mentor ship, and ensuring that we don’t have to rush any kids up into the NHL.

Development is key here, we all talked about wanting to not rush players, and this is what it looks like.
Well said.

Sensmileletsgo

Oct 22, 2018
Ennis really struggled for the first few weeks but has definitely turned it around. He has also been given a much longer rope than most, that's maybe where the disdain comes from. Obviously coach was patient with him and it worked.
I'm not sure if he struggled in the first few weeks as much as fans said he was. I was pretty surprised at how quickly fans were calling him terrible despite playing ok. Same with Hainsey.

Reactions: coladin

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017
He’s on pace for over 40 points making 800k. Not much more you can ask for. I’m interested to see if he’s traded because I think he’s be perfect to keep around for cheap.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad