Tyler Bozak Appreciation Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lebanese Leaf

Sep 19, 2009
Toronto, ON
FIRST OMG you did not just imply that Kane=Bozak? if you did :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Richards is an overrated player. Second, Ricahrds plays with Carter, Bozo the clown plays with Kessel and JVR, and played with Kessel-Lupul

You want to draw a direct comparison between Ricahrd and bozak then take the year when Bozak-Kessel-Kulemin played together. I know not enough sample size but for consistency that has to be it. In statistical language its called indexing.

Yes shoot out is an important aspect of the game where points are up for grabs BUT if we have a capable center playing with Kessel and JVR then we might not even have to go to the shoot out most of the time. More so now that we have 2 capable goalies and a defensive system that does not suck.

Bozak is a decent 3rd line C not a top 6 player anywhere on any other team.

Huh? How at all did you come to that? I can see reading comprehension is not your strong-suit.

Sharp is the C, and Kane is the RW... just like Bozak is the C, and Kessel is the RW on his line. In the same way that Kessel is better than Bozak and expected to drive play on that line, Kane is better than Sharp and expected to drive play on that line. Point being that just because you don't drive the play, doesn't mean you suck, just means your linemate(s) is/are better than you. Most Bozak supporters, including myself, will tell you he is a good #2 being asked to play the #1 role. So for him to be overshadowed by Kessel and JVR in terms of offense and driving the play is expected, as long as he does all the other things right, and he does.

Augustus

Dec 2, 2003
Roma in my soul.
Visit site
Bozak would make an excellent 3rd line centre - he just doesn't have the hands for the first line. Fellow just can't move quickly enough when opportunities fall his way, as they will on the first line. Major flaw in Leaf roster.

93gilmour93

Feb 27, 2010
I like what Bozak brings to the team but like what has already been said by some in this thread I wish he could finish during the game like he does on breakaways. He's a 2C playing in the 1C spot because he fits in well between Kessel and JVR. They start with the puck more often then not due to his great faceoff abilities.

Eb

Feb 27, 2011
Toronto
Biggest flaw in leafs line-up...

#2Dman >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> #1 center.

As long as Bozak's line continues to produce, I really don't see the problem. If/when there is a new #1 centerman, you better hope Kessel puts up 50 goals.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Biggest flaw in leafs line-up...

#2Dman >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> #1 center.

As long as Bozak's line continues to produce, I really don't see the problem. If/when there is a new #1 centerman, you better hope Kessel puts up 50 goals.

i think at the end of the day this is how management sees it.
i could truly see the push for another minute muncher being acquired.

1: you can gunnarson move down, and have Phaneuf & minute muncher.
2: you can put minute muncher & Gardiner (or Franson).
3: you can have Franson/Gardiner & Ranger/Fraser

it totally gives our defensive pairings the same flexibility/moveability as our very fluid forward core.

if - by a miracle we are able to get a #1 centre, of course, but as it stands right now, Bozak is good, and we're good. :nod:

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
People need to relax on Bolland. He's looked good in 3 games so far, and I love the guy but he is a #3 who can play #2 from time to time. He does not possess the same offensive skill that Bozak does and Kessel would definitely not benefit more with Bolland on his line.

Bolland was a number 3 who can play the 2 spot in Chicago. Big difference between that and your typical 2/3 center. The guy has hustle, skill, vision, and he's opportunistic. Intrigued to see him continue here.

Leafs Forever

Jul 14, 2009
Here's a thought that I've had for a while now:

Would Bozak get half the flak he does if he were a winger, and say Kessel was a centre?

I think it is often understated how often good teams put role-players on top lines, even if they're not that offensively talented. This is both to add intangibles to a line that may lack it, it may not be practical to put all your eggs into one basket, and the team may not have the money/resources to really have all-offensive talent in the top-6.

This is why we see players like Dupuis play with Crosby, Janik Hansen playing with the Sedins. You can look throughout history and see a lot of great-duos that usually had some kind of lesser-talented role-player fill the empty slot.

The thing is, most of these duos are usually C-W. Rarely, do top lines have that role player be the centre. I can only think of two other examples of really good winger only duos- the Lafleur line of the Canadians 1970s, with Shutt/Lemaire/Lafleur and the Selanne/Kariya duo when they were playing with the ducks.

This tends to happen because centre is perhaps an overfocused position in hockey. The position has the most talent of any other forward role, and usually the centre is the focal point, or one of the focal points, of any top line. Centres also usually get a lot of focus.

But nowadays the Leafs are in a rare position of having a really good winger duo at the top, with the roleplayer of the line being centre. And I think if people got away from the idea that your 1st line C needs to be amazing, and realized that a lot of good top lines on great teams are comprised of only two players carrying the offensive load, independent of position...maybe then they could see Bozak on the top line is far from the worst thing in the world.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I like what Bozak brings to the team but like what has already been said by some in this thread I wish he could finish during the game like he does on breakaways. He's a 2C playing in the 1C spot because he fits in well between Kessel and JVR. They start with the puck more often then not due to his great faceoff abilities.

I'd love to have a classic young number one center in the system to grow with, but the Leafs haven't hurt for offense in a long time, so I'm overlooking that weak spot.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Here's a thought that I've had for a while now:

Would Bozak get half the flak he does if he were a winger, and say Kessel was a centre?

This is exactly it.

Very rarely do you see teams roll with a Spezza, Heatley, Alfredsson type of big line in today's NHL where everyone's a star player.

More commonly, you have lines with two scorers and a guy who brings some other element. Kessel, JVR/Lupul and Bozak works similar to the way Kariya and Selanne were a high scoring duo with Steve Rucchin doing all the random support stuff instead of filling the number classic center role.

bunjay

Nov 9, 2008
This is exactly it.

Very rarely do you see teams roll with a Spezza, Heatley, Alfredsson type of big line in today's NHL where everyone's a star player.

More commonly, you have lines with two scorers and a guy who brings some other element. Kessel, JVR/Lupul and Bozak works similar to the way Kariya and Selanne were a high scoring duo with Steve Rucchin doing all the random support stuff instead of filling the number classic center role.

Teams dont load up one line at even strength so much anymore, but they do it almost universally on the PP.

And yet here we are with Bozak getting the same minutes as Kessel on our #1 unit. Supposedly because he's a good faceoff guy (being a couple percentage points above even is not noteworthy, but I digress), and because of the "chemistry" those two have. For which there is for some reason no really tangible evidence at all that it exists.

People probably wouldnt have as much of a problem with Bozak if he wasnt getting so much undeserved PP time over more skilled players. Let me ask you honestly: when was the last time you recall Bozak making something happen himself on the PP? Has he ever done something on the man advantage good enough to stick in one's memory?

The guy won't even handle the puck for more time than is absolutely neccessary to hand it off. He doesn't draw defenders in because he doesnt have the puck skills, and he doesnt back defenders off because they dont respect him as a threat.

Leafs Forever

Jul 14, 2009
I can see the argument of giving Bozak less PP time more- though he's mainly on there since winning face-offs on the PP is huge, and it is not always practical to win a face-off and then try to change right away on the PP. Hopefully Kadri can grow into that role by improving on face-offs.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
1) Good on faceoffs.
2) Good on the PK.
3) Good on breakaways.
4) Great at shootouts.
5) Good playmaker and passer.
6) Good skater.
7) Forces the pass too often to Kessel.
8) Terrible on converting one timers.
9) Great friend of our best player, Kessel.
10) Good team player.

8 out of 10 is pretty decent. He`s not a number one centre, but, he`s not total garbage either.

He would be missed if he were elsewhere, mark my words. We missed him in game 7. His faceoff ability alone may have allowed us to beat Boston!!!

Just another player that is under appreciated around here IMHO.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Bozak really has played very well so far.

Literally the only thing he has done badly so far this year is muff 4 clear chances in the slot.

But everything else - passing, defense, PKing, faceoffs - he's been excellent.

leafstilldeath*

Huh? How at all did you come to that? I can see reading comprehension is not your strong-suit.

Sharp is the C, and Kane is the RW... just like Bozak is the C, and Kessel is the RW on his line. In the same way that Kessel is better than Bozak and expected to drive play on that line, Kane is better than Sharp and expected to drive play on that line. Point being that just because you don't drive the play, doesn't mean you suck, just means your linemate(s) is/are better than you. Most Bozak supporters, including myself, will tell you he is a good #2 being asked to play the #1 role. So for him to be overshadowed by Kessel and JVR in terms of offense and driving the play is expected, as long as he does all the other things right, and he does.

Agree. But sharp plays as a sniper on the hawks. Bozak is no sniper my friend. Second, if the same players drive the play it becomes very predictable and our zone entries become useless.
I guess we will have to agree to disagree because in my books I will never pencil Bozak as a 2C. Yes he can fill the role if there are injuries but Bozak's lack of offensive skills makes him 3C.
Ofcourse it is expected that Kessel and JVR overtake him in terms of points but I also expect at least 60 points from him i.e. 0.7 ppg from Bozak consistently playing with elite winger likie that.
Not to mention he absolutely kills any offence be it shooting or making a good pass on the PP.

4evaBlue

Bottle of Lightning
Jan 9, 2011
but overall, he's good defensively, good a faceoffs and OKAY at offense, he'll make the odd solid play ill give him that.

That is essentially what we're paying him for. His versatility and the ability to utilize him in pretty much any situation including last min of a game when leading, trailing or tied.

The fact that he helped us retain one of our franchise players is just a bonus.

StringsAttached

BPD Nation!
Oct 1, 2013
Vaughan, ON
An awesome 3rd liner. Does almost everything, shot can be improved and that contract is much too high for him but since it locked up Kessel i'm happy.

leafstilldeath*

1) Good on faceoffs.
2) Good on the PK.
3) Good on breakaways.
4) Great at shootouts.
5) Good playmaker and passer.
6) Good skater.
7) Forces the pass too often to Kessel.
8) Terrible on converting one timers.
9) Great friend of our best player, Kessel.
10) Good team player.

8 out of 10 is pretty decent. He`s not a number one centre, but, he`s not total garbage either.

He would be missed if he were elsewhere, mark my words. We missed him in game 7. His faceoff ability alone may have allowed us to beat Boston!!!

Just another player that is under appreciated around here IMHO.

1) Yes.
2) Yes
3) Yes
4) Nope, Good at shootouts not great.
5) NO absolutely NO.
6) NO
7) Yes
8) Yes
9) So? What does this have to do with his on ice performance?
10) Everyone on the team is Bozak doesn't get any brownie points for this.
Points 9 and 10 does not even count So basically, the score is out of 8 points. Out of which, he gets 4/8 = 50%

Do you forget Game 6 of the series? Bozak wasn't playing that game either but we won that game. How come people always use Game 7 to show that Bozak is an impact player is beyond me. We lost Game 7 because of our collective defensive collapse. We tried to play trap against Boston and it worked for most of the game except for the last few mins. Trap would work against most teams except teams with big bodies that play dump and chase i.e. Boston.

bunjay

Nov 9, 2008
How could you possible think a comparison between Sharp/Kane and Bozak/Kessel is kind to Bozak?

Doesn't matter that Kane is more skilled than his centre, his centre is still a hell of a lot better than Bozak. Do you realize that sharp has NEVER scored less than 20 goals in a full season? Has a career high in goals one less than Kessel?

leafstilldeath*

How could you possible think a comparison between Sharp/Kane and Bozak/Kessel is kind to Bozak?

Doesn't matter that Kane is more skilled than his centre, his centre is still a hell of a lot better than Bozak. Do you realize that sharp has NEVER scored less than 20 goals in a full season? Has a career high in goals one less than Kessel?

lol I totally forgot about this stat. Not to mention Sharp is an absolute Beast in playoffs.

Avec Fromage*

Tyler Bozak isn't a #1 centre and he doesn't excel at anything, but he's a dependable guy who does everything well. I would like to see him work on his hand-eye coordination however. He has flubbed on far too many gifts.

4evaBlue

Bottle of Lightning
Jan 9, 2011
I'm not a Bozak hater and think people are extremely harsh on the guy but I wouldn't say he played a big role on JVR's goal but he did exactly what Kessel needed him to do. It all started with an extremely smart play by Kessel to hold on to the puck and push it forward, relying on Bozak to get it into the zone. Bozak did that, took a hit to get it done but let's be honest, that play was more stupid on Methot than it was smart on Bozak. It was only Methot and Karlsson in the zone and Methot decides to take the body at the blue line while he saw Kessel was barely a stride behind Bozak. Methot took himself out of play for no reason at all and left Karlsson alone to deal with Kessel and JVR streaking towards the net.

Figured this was a better thread to respond in, hence the cross-post.

Bozak played his role on the goal and while Kadri may have handled the situations differently, Bozak still made Method look like a fool. Just like he burnt Markov and could have ended up w/ another shortie breakaway attempt had he gotten a better bounce last night. At the very least he got the puck out of the zone and put the Sens D into scramble mode.

He's a useful player who's getting paid accordingly. He got his deal done early and didn't have to fight over the scraps in Sept.

bunjay

Nov 9, 2008
Lets please not get excited about Bozak chipping the puck off the boards past a defensman. That is literally all he did. THe play was 100% Kessel from recovering the puck in his own zone and patiently waiting for the right play to the cross-crease pass for the tap-in.

Trying to give a bunch of credit to Bozak for a nice play on that is hilarious. He in fact barely touched the puck and Kessel more-or-less passed it to himself using Bozak as a pick.

Diatomic

Mitch Matthewlander
Mar 12, 2013
Air Canada Centre
I appreciate Bozak whenever he's on the PK or on the shootout.

Other than than, which is like 90% of the time, I really don't appreciate him at all.

leafstilldeath*

One more thing:

Let us ask ourselves one question:

If Bozak burries the chances he got yesterday at least one chance he shoots in the empty net do we go to overtime and then shootout giving Sens our divisional rival competing for the playoff spot an extra point?
If Bozak buries half of his chances from Kessel or JVR how many overtimes or losses do we avoid last season?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad