Player Discussion Tyler Benson

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
Gagner blossomed early and started to suck midway. Why are we comparing the two? Benson has only gotten better.

Is this really true? Or were we just willing to accept his faults when young and we still hoped 40-50 points was going to become 60-70 in his prime.

Gagner had a pretty remarkably consistent NHL career. He just didn't progress during it (but didn't get appreciably worse either).

It was our expectations (as a future #1B C) that made us feel he was a failure.

Reactions: Blue Line Turnover

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
It's been awhile and maybe I misheard but was Benson given exceptional status at one point for Jrs? I thought I remember that in a radio conversation. He may have some legit secret sauce potential before being developmentally derailed by injuries.

It's weird being excited from not having a completely disappointing prospect pool.

I think there was some talk that the Giants should do it to bypass the 5(maybe 10? I forget) game rule for 15 years in the WHL, but they never did.

Daryls Friend

May 14, 2017
Gagner blossomed early and started to suck midway. Why are we comparing the two? Benson has only gotten better.
If Benson is as good an NHL'r as Gagner, the Oiler fan base should be doing cartwheels.
Expectations are ridiculous

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Is this really true? Or were we just willing to accept his faults when young and we still hoped 40-50 points was going to become 60-70 in his prime.

Gagner had a pretty remarkably consistent NHL career. He just didn't progress during it (but didn't get appreciably worse either).

It was our expectations (as a future #1B C) that made us feel he was a failure.
Gagner was mishandled. We didn't develop his game to its fullest potential. He's an one dimensional 40 points player most of his career. Too soft for the bottom 6. We have a chance to develop Benson into a 40+ points player as well while adding 2 way plays who can move up and down the line up. For a 2nd round pick, that's a incredible value.

Reactions: Aerchon

Daryls Friend

May 14, 2017
Right now Benson would be a good as current Gagner. Just look at their AHL numbers
Funny. So looking at their AHL numbers translates to how good an NHL'r one will be. Or was in the case of Gagner.
To say nothing of the fact that Gagner also played in the NHL, and was a productive player.
Unbelievable.

Reactions: MessierII

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Funny. So looking at their AHL numbers translates to how good an NHL'r one will be. Or was in the case of Gagner.
To say nothing of the fact that Gagner also played in the NHL, and was a productive player.
Unbelievable.
Gagner's prime was a one dimensional 45 points player. That's not a tall order. lol

If 66 points in 68 games in the AHL while playing sound defensively at age 20 is not a good indication of becoming a solid NHLer than I don't know what to tell you

Reactions: Aerchon and MikeFLB

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
Gagner's prime was a one dimensional 45 points player. That's not a tall order. lol

If 66 points in 68 games in the AHL while playing sound defensively at age 20 is not a good indication of becoming a solid NHLer than I don't know what to tell you

49 points in 79 NHL games as a very young 18 year old in the NHL (he turned 18 seven weeks prior to his first NHL game) is a lot more impressive than 66 points in 68 AHL games at 20.

It's fair to say Sam never developed his game, or rather had limited physical tools (small and slow is a bad look), but don't count your chickens on Benson. He's not the prospect at 20 that Sam was. He needs to keep progressing.

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
Gagner was mishandled. We didn't develop his game to its fullest potential. He's an one dimensional 40 points player most of his career. Too soft for the bottom 6. We have a chance to develop Benson into a 40+ points player as well while adding 2 way plays who can move up and down the line up. For a 2nd round pick, that's a incredible value.

I've admittedly not been following much of Benson lately, but this may be the first time I've heard anyone talk about him as a two-way player. I'm biased, but how does a "not that fast" skater with limited physicality become a strong two-way player in the NHL.

Gagner's would be a good example of a common theme among a subset of offense-first guys who struggle defensively at the NHL level. It isn't a lack of effort, its a lack on any physical attributes (skating, hitting) that can't offset for the lack on inherent defensive awareness. I suppose high-end hockey IQ can be repurposed for the defensive game, but it doesn't happen that often. Dan Cleary comes to mind... but for every Dan Cleary there are 10 Cogliano's (it's easier for a tenacious, speedy puck hound to reposition their career in a D-first role)

Tell me more about Benson's all around game.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
I have limited viewing of Benson as well. But what I've gathered is I don't think Gagner's limitation is even due to his physical attributes. He doesn't slow the game or sees the ice as well as a guy like Benson. Doesn't take a hit to make a play. Shy from contact. We give him way too much credit or I guess hope because he was drafted 6th overall. Benson is someone who will take awhile to get there but will get there eventually and provide a consistently 40-50 points. Not saying Benson is a defensive stewardess but he doesn't cherry pick like Gagner did early in their career and is actually being brought up slowly and the right way. I see more structure to his game. I've never saw that in young Gagner. I don't have a comparable for Benson.

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
Hope he plays his first NHL game soon!

I still think Gagner and Lander are the best comparable to him. Most of you have fairly negative associations to those two players but they were useful.

Mav3rick07

Jul 28, 2007
Hope he plays his first NHL game soon!

I still think Gagner and Lander are the best comparable to him. Most of you have fairly negative associations to those two players but they were useful.

Someone on this site used “Steen” as a good comparable for Benson.

I’m content with that , Steen is a solid player (And Stanley Cup Winner!).

Reactions: ujju2

replacement

Oct 20, 2018
Someone on this site used “Steen” as a good comparable for Benson.

I’m content with that , Steen is a solid player (And Stanley Cup Winner!).

To be more specific, I said his top end is Alex Steen and his bottom end is Anton Lander. That's a big range. ;)

Reactions: Mav3rick07

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
If Benson is as good an NHL'r as Gagner, the Oiler fan base should be doing cartwheels.
Expectations are ridiculous

@McCanovin covers a lot of what i would have said as well.

Gagner had a great game against Calgary. Very inspiring. Cant remember the last game where Gagner looked so good.

Having said that Gagner through the majority of his career is not a player i would use as a benchmark for any prospect. Gagner is streaky and has rarely/if ever outscored the defiecencies in his game.

Benson as mentioned is a higher iq playmaker. Gagner a higher offensive dangler.

Both being slower is the only similarity. Benson has the potential to have a much better career imo, even if he scores less in points.

Edit: i dont think we will see him in a top 6 role. However the more i think about it the more i like a line of Benson, McDavid, and Kassian. Both linemates compliment his strengths and help negate his weaknesses.

gordonhught

Feb 18, 2009
If he’s as good as Gagner, I expect at least one 8 point game out of him. Anything less than that is abject failure.

I remember that there was some uncertainty regarding Gagner around the time he had that 8 point game. It was not quite clear what his offensive upside would be.

He was sitting around 0.5 ppg for his first 3-4 seasons in the league. The 8 point game comes along and my thinking is that he would be at his highest trade value at that point and the team would be better off trading him.

However, the team kept him. He then had a bit of a comeback year in 2013 (playing with Hall, Eberle, etc.) and then his numbers started to drop off. By the time he was traded in in 2014 he was not worth much and all the Oilers could get for him was Teddy Purcell.

Should have traded Gagner right after the 8 point game.

Reactions: PuckNut

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
@McCanovin covers a lot of what i would have said as well.

Gagner had a great game against Calgary. Very inspiring. Cant remember the last game where Gagner looked so good.

Having said that Gagner through the majority of his career is not a player i would use as a benchmark for any prospect. Gagner is streaky and has rarely/if ever outscored the defiecencies in his game.

Benson as mentioned is a higher iq playmaker. Gagner a higher offensive dangler.

Both being slower is the only similarity. Benson has the potential to have a much better career imo, even if he scores less in points.

Edit: i dont think we will see him in a top 6 role. However the more i think about it the more i like a line of Benson, McDavid, and Kassian. Both linemates compliment his strengths and help negate his weaknesses.
Even in their AHL time, Benson greatest strength is consistency. He usually starts the year a little slow and then a month in he starts putting up constant good games. Gagner was streaky always. The other difference is Benson is the type of guy that is still useful when his production drops. Gagner either produces or is sadly useless.

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
We can debate his specific abilities all day, but generally speaking, players who are a PPG or close at 20 in the AHL have clear offensive upside in the NHL.

There aren't very many of them.

replacement

Oct 20, 2018
I'm sticking with Daniel Cleary as my comp for him.

I like this comp a lot, because I think these players have the same challenges. For Cleary it wasn't so much on the ice, it was his overall maturity that really evolved him in to somebody that could really be a toolsy, hard checking, smart player with a little skill in the NHL.

Both grew up as highly touted offensive guys, but neither really have any standout offensive elements to their games at the pro level. For Cleary, finding his role, finding ways to produce that were more based on consistent effort and consistent focus was what made him extremely valuable as a guy who could work all over the line-up. Benson is kind of in that mould. I kind of see it as the opposite of Yamamoto's situation, in that Yamamoto's challenge has been to bring skill in to an already solid work rate.

Too bad he can't play tonight. But imagine what it must feel like for an Edmonton kid to jump right in to the BoA? Big stage, big moment, can't wait to see it!

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
I like this comp a lot, because I think these players have the same challenges. For Cleary it wasn't so much on the ice, it was his overall maturity that really evolved him in to somebody that could really be a toolsy, hard checking, smart player with a little skill in the NHL.

Both grew up as highly touted offensive guys, but neither really have any standout offensive elements to their games at the pro level. For Cleary, finding his role, finding ways to produce that were more based on consistent effort and consistent focus was what made him extremely valuable as a guy who could work all over the line-up. Benson is kind of in that mould. I kind of see it as the opposite of Yamamoto's situation, in that Yamamoto's challenge has been to bring skill in to an already solid work rate.

Too bad he can't play tonight. But imagine what it must feel like for an Edmonton kid to jump right in to the BoA? Big stage, big moment, can't wait to see it!

He can't play tonight?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->