Value of: Ty Ronning

BannedFromCDC

Sep 18, 2012
New Westminster
7th round draft pick.

The only reason he's lighting up the WHL is because he's a 20 year old man playing against teenagers. Prior to this season he's never been a point a game player in the dub. Just because his last name is Ronning, doesn't mean he'll play like his dad Cliff. He's a huge long shot to make the NHL.

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
7th round draft pick.

The only reason he's lighting up the WHL is because he's a 20 year old man playing against teenagers. Prior to this season he's never been a point a game player in the dub. Just because his last name is Ronning, doesn't mean he'll play like his dad Cliff. He's a huge long shot to make the NHL.

Yeah my feeling is either he makes it as a top-6 sniper or doesn't make it at all.

His skating concerns me a bit for a guy his size. He would need to be faster and more shifty and elusive to make it at the NHL. If he can work on that, he can make it.

CapnZin

Jul 20, 2017
Sweden
Yeah my feeling is either he makes it as a top-6 sniper or doesn't make it at all.

His skating concerns me a bit for a guy his size. He would need to be faster and more shifty and elusive to make it at the NHL. If he can work on that, he can make it.
That's a really big gap- you're going from top a perennial player to a Matt Read type player.

Lays

Jan 22, 2017

He’s not a top 6 or bust type of small player. He’s close to Brendan Gallagher or Ryan Callahan style wise.
Plays a pesty type game while having an excellent motor. Tends to cherry pick a little though, needs to work on his defensive game but is a great forechecker and hustles hard just needs to be more committed to defense. With smaller guys most of the time you see them scoring goals with dekes or moves that don’t cut it in the NHL but Ronning plays a pro-style game, a lot of his goals are from in front. I think we have an NHLer with him but I don’t see a top 6 player I see a really good bottom 6er as his potential similar to Jesper Fast level. I wouldn’t trade him though unless we’re getting a really good offer, kid can really score goals and who knows maybe he can end up a top 6er although it’s a long shot. We need wingers in our system especially RHS, I’d prefer to keep him unless we get an offer we can’t refuse but I doubt his value is higher than a mid round pick, he played well in his AHL stint as well so it’s not like he can’t keep up with men. He’s a pretty fast skater I don’t see skating concerns with him

Fulham

Jan 6, 2015
I laugh at the few Canucks fans saying that Benning missed out on him after his great D+2 season. I mean we signed Dane Fox who had 30 more points, and a few more goals in less games.

I wish him the best but hes a long shot, but exactly the right kind of player to be spending 7th rounders on

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
He’s not a top 6 or bust type of small player. He’s close to Brendan Gallagher or Ryan Callahan style wise.

I don't agree with that.

Plays a pesty type game while having an excellent motor. Tends to cherry pick a little though, needs to work on his defensive game but is a great forechecker and hustles hard just needs to be more committed to defense.

That's part of the reason why I don't see the Gallagher/Callahan comparisons. Those guys never at any point in their careers cherry picked or floated.

With smaller guys most of the time you see them scoring goals with dekes or moves that don’t cut it in the NHL but Ronning plays a pro-style game, a lot of his goals are from in front.

He goes to the scoring areas, which is good, but he doesn't score fantastic goals that will leave your jaw dropping. At his size, I don't know how he'll get to those areas to score those goals at the NHL level. It's harder to do.

I think we have an NHLer with him but I don’t see a top 6 player I see a really good bottom 6er as his potential similar to Jesper Fast level.

Admittedly, I haven't seen a ton of him, but I don't see that comparison at all, at least in terms of style of play. I just don't think he'll be able to cut it at his size as a bottom-6 player.

I think the most realistic comparison for him at the NHL level would be Tyler Ennis. Not a bad player by any means.

I wouldn’t trade him though unless we’re getting a really good offer, kid can really score goals and who knows maybe he can end up a top 6er although it’s a long shot. We need wingers in our system especially RHS, I’d prefer to keep him unless we get an offer we can’t refuse but I doubt his value is higher than a mid round pick, he played well in his AHL stint as well so it’s not like he can’t keep up with men.

I agree with all of that, except the very last part doesn't mean a whole lot to me until he shows he can handle the NHL level.

He’s a pretty fast skater I don’t see skating concerns with him

I didn't say he was a bad skater. However, I think his speed needs to be better and he needs to be a little more shifty and elusive to succeed at the NHL level at his size.

I didn't see anything about his skating that stuck out to me. I would say for juniors he's an above average skater, but I wouldn't say he's a speed burner by any means.

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
I don't agree with that.

That's part of the reason why I don't see the Gallagher/Callahan comparisons. Those guys never at any point in their careers cherry picked or floated.

He goes to the scoring areas, which is good, but he doesn't score fantastic goals that will leave your jaw dropping. At his size, I don't know how he'll get to those areas to score those goals at the NHL level. It's harder to do.

Admittedly, I haven't seen a ton of him, but I don't see that comparison at all, at least in terms of style of play. I just don't think he'll be able to cut it at his size as a bottom-6 player.

I think the most realistic comparison for him at the NHL level would be Tyler Ennis. Not a bad player by any means.

I agree with all of that, except the very last part doesn't mean a whole lot to me until he shows he can handle the NHL level.

I didn't say he was a bad skater. However, I think his speed needs to be better and he needs to be a little more shifty and elusive to succeed at the NHL level at his size.

I didn't see anything about his skating that stuck out to me. I would say for juniors he's an above average skater, but I wouldn't say he's a speed burner by any means.
He scores goals from everywhere and has a great shot to go along with it. Ronning is much more pesty/grittier than Ennis. Also, he’s score quite a few highlight real goals with dekes and shifty movements, what I like most about Ronning in my many viewings of him is that he’s a very versatile scorer, can snipe one, can dangle, good around the net etc he has a pretty good IQ and knows where to be. He doesn’t rely on one move to score. I think when he gets to the NHL (if ever) his cherry picking will stop but maybe since he’s in juniors as an overeager he just wants to score a lot because he doesn’t have much left to prove? Just a guess, it’s not like he cherry picks a lot, I’ve just seen it time to time, not every game. I think he’ll translate just fine to a bottom 6 role. The Jesper Fast thing wasn’t a comparison, I said Jesper Fast-level. Great bottom 6er who can move up to play with better guys and not look out of place pretty much

CapnZin

Jul 20, 2017
Sweden
Not understanding... not sure if you worded something wrong or if there's a typo in there?
Sorry- meant that the range that you described. A top 6 player is a good player. There's a big difference between a top 6 and someone who cannot make the team.

FoxysExpensiveNYDigs

Boo Nieves Truther
Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Plays a pesty type game while having an excellent motor. Tends to cherry pick a little though...
Pretty sure he's being coached to cherry pick this season. He played a much more complete game prior to this year.

tradenashnow

Feb 17, 2018
That 20 year old stuff is garbage. Most players in juniors are all around 18 to 20. Not a lot of difference. His debut in the AHL was decent. Give him a couple years in the AHL then re-evaluate him. People get way to caught up in stats and age. If you went by that, you would never figure out Neal Pionk. He had 16 points in 48 AHL games. Now he has 14 points in 21 NHL games. Ronning's teams stinks offensively. Benson isn't young either for the WHL and somehow he gets praised which is laughable. He's hasn't done squat for his team compared to Ronning this year.

Michael Farkas

Celebrate 68
Jun 28, 2006
NYC
www.hockeyprospect.com
Just not enough pop to his stride, not dynamic enough as a skater to be a regular NHLer at this point. I mean, that's ignoring the overall skill level and his ability to actually make room for himself out there, which isn't particularly noteworthy...but between that and the lackluster (relative to his size and skill) skating, it's an awfully tough sell for me to see him in the NHL. I think he can be a second line player in the AHL. He's a kid you probably want in the organization, but NHLer? He's gonna need a few amazing summers in a row from my perspective...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad