Ty Rattie question

c-carp

Mar 3, 2002
Illinois
Visit site
With the emergence of Jaskin would you be comfortable w packaging Ty Rattie w whoever to get the Blues some help. Be it a forward like Vermette or a D man like Franson just using these names as examples.

I would be OK with it because I wonder if there is going to be room for him in the top 6 or top 9 forwards anyway

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Neither of those names excite me, at least not for Rattie. Vermette's a fine player but I think he's just more of what we already have.

Rattie certainly isn't untouchable, but I'm not just going to give him away at a deadline or anything. I would really only use him in a package for a legit top 6 scorer that would be an upgrade over what we have. Given the way the top 6 is playing, I don't see that happening anytime soon.

Might as well just keep him and let him and Fabbri battle for a spot in camp. With extensions coming to guys like Schwartz and Tarasenko, you never know who might have to go so it'll be nice to have the depth. I was impressed by Rattie in his last call up and he has a knack to score goals. I'd like to see what he's got.

Excellence9

May 7, 2013
I could see him getting shipped off in a package deal because with the likes of Barbashev and Fabbri coming up just behind him. Thoose two should be the ones the Blues should hold on to.

bluesfan3109

Let's Go Blues!!!
Jan 26, 2015
STL/IL
I see him as no more that a 3RW of the future and if that gets us something to push us over the top then absolutely, but like BlueDream said I'm not a fan of those names. I'd much rather have a Zbynek Michalek or Jagr/Zidlicky(don't think this would take Rattie though).

Thallis

No half measures
Jan 23, 2010
Behind Blue Eyes
I could see him getting shipped off in a package deal because with the likes of Barbashev and Fabbri coming up just behind him. Thoose two should be the ones the Blues should hold on to.

I don't think packaging Rattie because of Barbashev is a good move. They'll likely be very different types of players at the NHL level.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
You don't trade top prospects, just because you have a bunch of them. You hold onto them like Detroit, just look at how long they took with Nyquist.

You never know who might have a career ending injury or demand a trade or price himself out of a contract extension or if someone simply flops.

anlongo13

Aug 6, 2014
Ottumwa, IA
You don't trade top prospects, just because you have a bunch of them. You hold onto them like Detroit, just look at how long they took with Nyquist.

You never know who might have a career ending injury or demand a trade or price himself out of a contract extension or if someone simply flops.

Exactly. People need to realize the Blues are going to be taking on some hefty salary next year. They are going to need these entry-level contracts and low paid prospects to balance it out.

Rattie didn't blow anyone away, but he got considerably better as the games went on in his short stint up. I think he will make a useful player for the Blues. It would be a mistake to trade him, in my opinion.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014

NyQuist is an excellent example. Also with how the roster is shaping up for this year and how salaries will work next year, we just don't need to trade Rattie. I was for it...but I've realized with the knowledge of other posters, it will be a mistake to ship him off. Obviously a prospect swap would be ok but moving him for futures would just be a bad idea.

I'll say that when our RHD turn pro, they will probably stay in Chicago for a while along with Barbashev imo. STL has set the wolves up with what looks like a great future.

Barbashev and Rattie up front with Schmaltz, Parayko and Vanelli out back and Binnington in goal. All promising futures

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
I don't think Rattie's NHL career is probably going to be with St Louis. But I also don't think he needs to be traded urgently.

I'm more optimistic about his future after his stint this year, but I still don't really see how he figures into the immediate future. I think Fabbri will probably beat him in camp and make the NHL team next season, but perhaps we're over-reacting to his camp and should expect Fabbri to be in the AHL instead.

I wouldn't trade Rattie at the deadline just to trade him. Right now, I don't see what trade the Blues would spend him on that is a crucial move.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
And he very well could get passed up, but when you move him, it will still be for the right player, not a rental.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
I don't like that people think Rattie's future isn't in St. Louis just because he's not a stud defensively. Not only do I think he can learn that part of the game, but he's a natural goal scorer and aside from Tarasenko we're not loaded with too many of those.

I'm not directing this post at anyone in particular. I just don't like how sometimes it seems like we're ready to ship off anyone that isn't a two-way forward. How exactly have we performed with those guys in the playoffs so far? Not very well. You also need offense, and I didn't see Rattie as a floater during this last call up. I saw a guy who started to gain some confidence and was even willing to get a little physical and battle for pucks. I think he can definitely have a future here.

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
I don't think Rattie's NHL career is probably going to be with St Louis. But I also don't think he needs to be traded urgently.

I'm more optimistic about his future after his stint this year, but I still don't really see how he figures into the immediate future. I think Fabbri will probably beat him in camp and make the NHL team next season, but perhaps we're over-reacting to his camp and should expect Fabbri to be in the AHL instead.

I wouldn't trade Rattie at the deadline just to trade him. Right now, I don't see what trade the Blues would spend him on that is a crucial move.

Pretty much agree with all of this. I'll just note though that Fabbri either makes the Blues next season or he has to be sent back to Jrs. He was born on 1/22/96; if he would've been born on 12/31/95 instead, he could be sent to the AHL next season. Since Barbashev was a late 95, he can be sent to the AHL next season.

On Rattie though, he's certainly not untouchable IMO but he's still a pretty valuable asset and I wouldn't be too interested in trading him for a rental unless the rental was just the absolute perfect rental...and I don't see that perfect rental guy out there. This team as is is just fine. Could they use another 3rd pairing and/or 3rd line winger? Sure, but those pieces shouldn't cost Rattie IMO. I would only really be willing to trade Rattie if the intent was to re-sign the acquired player...but with raises to Tarasenko and Allen this summer and Schwartz in a year, I don't see them really being able to pay a rental guy the money he'd probably be looking for (I'm assuming that the rental will be a pending UFA and a 2nd/3rd line tweeter guy and those guys typical go for around $3.5-4M on the open market as UFAs). I would hold onto Rattie for now but I do see him having trouble cracking this team full-time so the Blues will want to hang onto him but they may need to trade him at some point or his value will diminish as he gets closer to being waiver eligible.

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
I don't like that people think Rattie's future isn't in St. Louis just because he's not a stud defensively. Not only do I think he can learn that part of the game, but he's a natural goal scorer and aside from Tarasenko we're not loaded with too many of those.

I'm not directing this post at anyone in particular. I just don't like how sometimes it seems like we're ready to ship off anyone that isn't a two-way forward. How exactly have we performed with those guys in the playoffs so far? Not very well. You also need offense, and I didn't see Rattie as a floater during this last call up. I saw a guy who started to gain some confidence and was even willing to get a little physical and battle for pucks. I think he can definitely have a future here.

For me, its not to do with his defense. Its more to do with whether he can continue to be a goal scorer at the NHL level, or whether the lack of time and space, and his level of physicality combined result in a player who isn't really able to be effective in the NHL, but has success in the AHL.

I'm more optimistic that he'll make a successful transition, but I still think its going to be slower than a guy like Fabbri.

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
For me, its not to do with his defense. Its more to do with whether he can continue to be a goal scorer at the NHL level, or whether the lack of time and space, and his level of physicality combined result in a player who isn't really able to be effective in the NHL, but has success in the AHL.

I'm more optimistic that he'll make a successful transition, but I still think its going to be slower than a guy like Fabbri.

I thought that, too, for a while, during the first part of Rattie's AHL adjustment period. But, based on his recent NHL stint, I got the impression that he IS a hard worker, and will be willing to do what is necessary to make himself into a complete NHL player. I think he WILL learn to play adequate defence in The NHL, and WILL work on his skating to improve it. He has already shown, on The NHL level, that he is not going to shy away from contact, and is willing to go into the tough spots to battle for the puck and battle for scoring position.

I think The Blues should hang onto him long enough to see if he'll be an effective scorer on The NHL level. They're going to need entry-level salaries to balance Tarasenko's, Schwartz's and Shattenkirk's upcoming large raises.

DatDude44

Hmmmm?
Feb 23, 2012
There's no reason to trade rattie for a rental...that's way to short term thinking.....if it were for a superstar then i'd maybe think about it...but for a depth player for playoffs...that just doesn't make sense...a depth player will help us in the playoffs...but unless we're getting a guy that can be a legit difference maker that teams gameplan around.....trading rattie for a rental is just bad (hockey) business.

The only way i see us picking up a skilled depth forward like a santorelli or williams is if berglund is involved....or different specs/picks are involved.... goal scorers like Rattie should come at a premium..... yeah he hasn't proved it at the NHL level...but he's proved everywhere he's been given a legit opportunity and he's one of those guys u can tell will need more seasoning, maybe alot more than others would need to legitimately make the jump to the Nhl...but could be well worth the wait...as in better than alot of the guys that immediatiely make the jump...... alot like Pietrangelo, petro, was viewed as a higher risk higher reward player that's gonna need more seasoning than the other guys in his draft(doughty, bogosian etc...) but if he reaches his potential could be the best of the bunch....which has been heavily debated amongst us fans with doughty and petro......either way...that's kind of how i view rattie...... if we stay patient.....he could pay dividends...especially if fabbri becomes what we think he can be in the near future........ god i love being a blues fan right now lol

PowerPlaymaker42

May 23, 2014
Quincy, IL
It's a great question and something to chew on. I was thinking he was expendable but now that I saw him play and improve while up here for a little while I agree we should hold on to him. Really unless we can conceive plan to move him to move into McDavid/Eichel area (pipe dream) there is no reason to trade him. We have nowhere to gain right now that is not depth or replacement/rental level players. I would say in the next three years we may be faced with a tough decision on one or two of SOB. Fabbri, Barbashev, and Rattie will fill the holes left by whoever leaves and then by the time they have established themselves Stastny will be gone/no longer effective. Who knows what direction we will go with this draft with no 1st rounder and hopefully we grab a Fabbri/Barbashev type player in the next couple drafts to continue the process of building from within. It is a great time to be a Blues fan. Now if we can just get a Cup in this process and finally make a stamp in history.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad