Confirmed with Link: Two-year extensions for Hayden ($750K aav) and Hinostroza ($1.5m aav)

pvr

Leather Skates
Jan 22, 2008
I'd like to see Duclair get another chance in Chicago. If he can't muster up more intensity in his game, it will probably be his last.
Someone else used the analogy here, but I think it’s apropos...like Stalberg but not as good. Frustrating to watch Duclair, and I don’t see it as an intensity issue, but rather that he’s simply not a good hockey player at the NHL level. Fast with a few moves, yes.

Cut bait and get a second or third if we can.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
Hyperbole is absurd

A 4th liner who has shown little got a 4th liners deal

It is nothing special nor worthy of the over the top praise
You don't have to be overly excited about the deals, but you don't have to be Larry David either.

tumblr_inline_nlbzkrevck1ro6j75.jpg

Reactions: RememberTheRoar

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Someone else used the analogy here, but I think it’s apropos...like Stalberg but not as good. Frustrating to watch Duclair, and I don’t see it as an intensity issue, but rather that he’s simply not a good hockey player at the NHL level. Fast with a few moves, yes.

Duclair has more talent than Stalberg.

ChiHawk21

Jan 15, 2011
everyone knows im not a big hino fan but i can deal with both of these contracts. gives the roster some flexability to send him down or trade him if necessary.

BobbyJet

I am Canadian
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can

As I've said before, I think Duclair has never been taught to play properly without the puck. He has offensive talent but from what I have observed, he seems to be at ease trying to make things happen by himself, underutilizing his linemates. Unfortunately, he isn't liable to get better coaching in Chicago - not with the current staff.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Not a chance. VS was playing solid two-way hockey before he went overseas. One could only wish that Duclair could use his body (without the puck) in the same fashion.

They are similar in the sense that their production does not equal their talent. Different skillsets to a point but both have more talent than their production. Stalberg is much more physical and faster but his hands and passing are not as good as Duclair. Both leave something to be desired.

Duclair is good teaching coach away from being a much better player.

pvr

Leather Skates
Jan 22, 2008
As I've said before, I think Duclair has never been taught to play properly without the puck. He has offensive talent but from what I have observed, he seems to be at ease trying to make things happen by himself, underutilizing his linemates. Unfortunately, he isn't liable to get better coaching in Chicago - not with the current staff.
Agree, and therein lies the problem. By now his critical formative years have been lost, never to be regained. Foundation is lacking. I say get what we can for him now.

pvr

Leather Skates
Jan 22, 2008
They are similar in the sense that their production does not equal their talent. Different skillsets to a point but both have more talent than their production. Stalberg is much more physical and faster but his hands and passing are not as good as Duclair. Both leave something to be desired.

Duclair is good teaching coach away from being a much better player.
Stalberg’s defense was much better than Duclair’s, and his offense was just shy, making him much more useful in the lineup.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Does he, really? I haven’t seen that, if we’re taking every aspect of hockey into account.
Talent for me would mean better passer, shooter, and stick handler. Duclair is better at all of that than Stalberg.
Stalbergs two way game was OK, and got better as he aged, but there is a reason he came in late and fizzled out fast. Duclair has more pts/gm than Stalberg did in his NHL career, and still has yet to find his game at the NHL level.

If Duclair can get his confidence back and learn the other side of the puck, he will be much better than Stalberg was.

BobbyJet

I am Canadian
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
Talent for me would mean better passer, shooter, and stick handler. Duclair is better at all of that than Stalberg.
Stalbergs two way game was OK, and got better as he aged, but there is a reason he came in late and fizzled out fast. Duclair has more pts/gm than Stalberg did in his NHL career, and still has yet to find his game at the NHL level.

If Duclair can get his confidence back and learn the other side of the puck, he will be much better than Stalberg was.

Some would argue that Stalberg's game was at it's best when he left the NHL. So, wrong again. But I do agree that Duclair has the potential but time is quickly running out.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Some would argue that Stalberg's game was at it's best when he left the NHL. So, wrong again. But I do agree that Duclair has the potential but time is quickly running out.

Who (I believe that it was said but I just want to see their reasoning)? VS wasn't at his best during the 16-17 season. Personally I think he was at his best during the 12-13 season with the Hawks then got into Q's doghouse during the playoffs.

Last edited:

BobbyJet

I am Canadian
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
Who? VS wasn't at his best during the 16-17 season. Personally I think he was at his best during the 12-13 season with the Hawks then got into Q's doghouse during the playoffs.

I hear you and don't necessarily disagree, but it became apparent that Stalberg would need to adapt and be a more complete player in a defensive role if he was to stick with an NHL team.

Prior to his move to the Swiss-A league, when I saw him play, he was doing a pretty good job of that. He was a completely different player, in a different role, from what we saw in Chicago.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Maybe his defensive game was at his best near the end of his career, but his offense had completely dried up.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->