Two questions about something from Game 8 in the 1972 Summit series

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
We all know the story of the Summit Series. But what about little tidbits or little known facts? At around 1:02:20 in this video the faceoff before the Henderson goal we see Phil Esposito gather the Canadian players in a huddle. The players are Espo, Cournoyer, P. Mahovlich, Savard and Lapointe. To this day I have never heard a thing about what was said in that huddle. Foster Hewitt comments on how unusual it was to see this, which it was. Esposito is known to talk about everything but I've never heard him address this. Or the other players. Surely there has to be something said that could go into the Hockey Hall of Fame as a part of history, but I've never heard what was said. Granted, it was probably something standard, but I'd still like to know because what happened afterwards was hockey history.

Just a side note, Savard makes a dangerous pass (I've always noticed this) prior to the Henderson goal too. It is right around 1:03:15. No doubt Savard was as cool as a cucumber on this but man, that is too close for comfort.

So here is the other question. Pete Mahovlich is on the ice for the shift and by the looks of it he is on the ice right up until the point where Cournoyer initially shoots the puck into the Russian zone that leads to the goal. It has to happen around this time because when Cournoyer intercepts the puck you already see Henderson racing into the zone and apparently yelling for the puck.

So these are the two questions. What was said in that huddle? Why did Mahovlich come off the ice? Henderson has said in multiple interviews that he called for Peter to come off because he really felt like he could score the goal. That makes sense, but I just wonder why Mahovlich did it in the first place. Did he feel tired and wanted fresh legs out there? Did Sinden motion him over to the bench after Henderson called him as well? Not sure, but very little has ever been said about these two plays.

MeHateHe

Dec 24, 2006
We all know the story of the Summit Series. But what about little tidbits or little known facts? At around 1:02:20 in this video the faceoff before the Henderson goal we see Phil Esposito gather the Canadian players in a huddle. The players are Espo, Cournoyer, P. Mahovlich, Savard and Lapointe. To this day I have never heard a thing about what was said in that huddle. Foster Hewitt comments on how unusual it was to see this, which it was. Esposito is known to talk about everything but I've never heard him address this. Or the other players. Surely there has to be something said that could go into the Hockey Hall of Fame as a part of history, but I've never heard what was said. Granted, it was probably something standard, but I'd still like to know because what happened afterwards was hockey history.

Just a side note, Savard makes a dangerous pass (I've always noticed this) prior to the Henderson goal too. It is right around 1:03:15. No doubt Savard was as cool as a cucumber on this but man, that is too close for comfort.

So here is the other question. Pete Mahovlich is on the ice for the shift and by the looks of it he is on the ice right up until the point where Cournoyer initially shoots the puck into the Russian zone that leads to the goal. It has to happen around this time because when Cournoyer intercepts the puck you already see Henderson racing into the zone and apparently yelling for the puck.

So these are the two questions. What was said in that huddle? Why did Mahovlich come off the ice? Henderson has said in multiple interviews that he called for Peter to come off because he really felt like he could score the goal. That makes sense, but I just wonder why Mahovlich did it in the first place. Did he feel tired and wanted fresh legs out there? Did Sinden motion him over to the bench after Henderson called him as well? Not sure, but very little has ever been said about these two plays.

I've read that Mahovlich heard his name and kind of instinctively came off. He recognized that it was Henderson calling him, but he he thought that Sinden was sending him out, so he came off. The story goes that Sinden asked Mahovlich why he came off but by the time he could answer, Henderson was on his way to scoring. I think I have that in a book at home.

MaxV

Nov 6, 2006
New York, NY
I've read that Mahovlich heard his name and kind of instinctively came off. He recognized that it was Henderson calling him, but he he thought that Sinden was sending him out, so he came off. The story goes that Sinden asked Mahovlich why he came off but by the time he could answer, Henderson was on his way to scoring. I think I have that in a book at home.

That's confusing. I thought that there was a line change at the end with Espo refusing to leave. Sinden asking that question is strange then.

MeHateHe

Dec 24, 2006
That's confusing. I thought that there was a line change at the end with Espo refusing to leave. Sinden asking that question is strange then.
No, I meant they changed on the fly. Henderson called him off, but Mahovlich thought he was doing it at Sinden's behest.

Reactions: Crosbyfan

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
No, I meant they changed on the fly. Henderson called him off, but Mahovlich thought he was doing it at Sinden's behest.
That is my recollection also, though I don't know where or when I read or heard it.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003

Cournoyer and Esposito both stayed on. Pete came off. Earlier it was Esposito that asked Sinden if Pete could come on their line instead of Frank, who was having a shaky series. So Pete probably thought Henderson's request was based on Sinden, and there was surely no time to question it anyway.

I just wonder if there is any revelation on what Esposito said in that huddle.

reckoning

Jan 4, 2005
In Henderson's book there's a quote from Ron Ellis saying that when he and Henderson finished a shift with about two minutes left, Sinden told them to get ready because they would be going back out. So Sinden may have been planning on finishing the game with that line, and Henderson decided to start early.
The story Henderson has always told is that you never call a teammate off just so you can go on, but he really thought he could score.

Inkling

Same Old Hockey
Nov 27, 2006
Ottawa
You should tweet your question about the huddle to Liam Maguire. He knows a lot of the details about the 72 series and if he doesn't know he might someday be able to ask one of the guys involved.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
You should tweet your question about the huddle to Liam Maguire. He knows a lot of the details about the 72 series and if he doesn't know he might someday be able to ask one of the guys involved.

Just don't tell him Henderson doesn't belong in the HHOF. Maguire is one of those guys who has never budged from the idea that Henderson belongs. He has made arguments (none that would hold up if he ever dared to venture on these boards) that Henderson belongs.

MeHateHe

Dec 24, 2006
I have Harry Sinden’s book based off his diaries he was keeping during the lead up to the series and the series itself; I thought that’s where I found the info on it, but Sinden doesn’t even mention Henderson calling Mahovlich off. Have to keep looking...

frisco

Some people claim that there's a woman to blame...
Sep 14, 2017
Northern Hemisphere
Henderson definitely called Mahovolich off the ice early. Kind of wavered but eventually did as Henderson was pretty adamant and kept yelling. Makes for a good story at least in that Henderson had never done that in his career in hockey or even heard of one player calling another off so aggressively. I think the plan was to get Ellis and the whole line out there but Espo and Cournoyer were too involved in the play. If you notice Espo is skating back to the bench even after he directs the puck at the net.

My Best-Carey

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad