Two Q free agents not to miss

PrideOfPEI24

Dec 30, 2011
Get ready for the PEI plug

Josh Currie and Ben Duffy currently play together on the top for the PEI Rocket of the QMJHL.

Josh Currie has 100 points, 46 goals, 56 PIM, and is a +21 in 64 games.

Ben Duffy has 100 points, 34 goals and 66 assists in 64 games.

Josh Currie is a dream player in my opinion. He combines skill, with toughness.

He can fight

At 46 goals (hat trick tonight) and 4 games left to play, it's more than obvious the kid can score.

He's on the ice at all times, pp, pk, 5 on 5, final minutes nursing a lead. He's incredibly versatile. I like to think I'm not bias, but I may be a little. I've been good friends with the guy since Jr. High and I can honestly say he's the only person I've known to be all hockey. While everybody else his age is spending their summer out getting waster, he's in the pushing harder every day to make himself that much better.

As for Ben Duffy, he's been effective his whole Q career, it's just really blossomed when he was put with Currie. He isn't physical, he's like a Danny Brier. His passing ability, his hands are just incredible. He just has that 'it' factor that allows him to constantly make the plays and passes and nobody can ever deny that the kid can score

Two players, who have combined for 200 points, leading the QMJHL in scoring. Completely free agents, able to be signed by anybody.

I think it would be ludacris to pass these two players up. The chance to add two incredibly talented, high scoring players with incredibly well established chemistry..... somebody is going to pick these guys up.

Again, the two have combined for 100 goals and 100 assists. Insane.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Woah, you're right, I didn't think Ben Duffy had been through 3 drafts already. Turns out he has.

It's worth a look, but I'm pretty sure we are at or close to max contracts.

If they are available still come July 1st, I would offer them an invite to the rookie camp thing that happens in the 1st week of July (or 2nd week not sure) and say if they impress they could earn a 2 year rookie contact

PrideOfPEI24

Dec 30, 2011
Woah, you're right, I didn't think Ben Duffy had been through 3 drafts already. Turns out he has.

It's worth a look, but I'm pretty sure we are at or close to max contracts.

If they are available still come July 1st, I would offer them an invite to the rookie camp thing that happens in the 1st week of July (or 2nd week not sure) and say if they impress they could earn a 2 year rookie contact

Only problem is they likely won't be. Again, I've been talking to Currie tonight, teams are chomping at the bit to get him signed. But the general feel is that teams will at least wait to see what they do in the playoffs.

Nonis, while GM of the Nucks, signed Vigniualt (sp?) who was working as head coach of the Rocket before being signed to the Canucks as head coach, so Nonis must be aware of the Rocket, he's even brought some players.

I mean you have 100 goals, 100 assists just sitting there waiting to be signed. And again, it's obvious the two have incredible chemistry so that's a bonus on top of adding two 100 point Q players.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Again, it all depends on our contract situation.

If we have room, then sure why not.

PrideOfPEI24

Dec 30, 2011
Yeah that's fair. I'd just love to see the Leafs pick them up. I mean the Q has a history of guys getting signed from there as free agents and turning into stars.

If anybody has that potential, it's Josh Currie. His commitment to hockey and work ethic is incredible. He's one of those guys who doesn't let the fact he plays in the QMJHL turn him into ****** bag or make him think he's hot ****, which many do, on top of chewing tobacco...

I mean look at that fight, somebody who fights like that has 46 goals. And yes it's the QMJHL, but if he hit's 50 goals.... it's actually a pretty rare milestone in the Q. I can't recall there being multiple 50 goal scorers, if any at all in the past few seasons.

-DeMo-

Nov 12, 2006
Huntsville Ontario
keep in mind there 92 borns so I think there overagers which 100 points for overagers isn't all that impressive. there are a long list of overagers who produce that much that turn out to nothing. I mean why not give Charles Sarault of the Sarnia sting a contract he has 103 points in 64 games.

PrideOfPEI24

Dec 30, 2011
keep in mind there 92 borns so I think there overagers which 100 points for overagers isn't all that impressive. there are a long list of overagers who produce that much that turn out to nothing. I mean why not give Charles Sarault of the Sarnia sting a contract he has 103 points in 64 games.

Because this isn't a different situation. We're talking about two players with 100 points a piece leading their respective league in scoring. On top of that they are linemates, so you're not just investing in the players, but also that same chemistry that has went off for 200 points.

Hotlanta

Dec 1, 2009
Not saying it is the reason Duffy hasn't been drafted but 165 lbs and 5'10" is a very long project and a team will have to use a contract spot on him for the entire project.

Currie is also only 5'11" but seems to have a better frame at 190.

EDIT: Duffy is now 175 lbs, which in comparison is still 15 lbs less than Kadri

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
Overage Q players can be very deceiving.

I'd like to know the last Q free agent to succeed in the NHL.

Patty Lee

I hate the Habs
Nov 26, 2003
Visit site
do you have a clip of the Haas or Paquette fights? the other was Adian Kelly who is in the same category as Tesink, which is non fighter

Parkdale

Jan 14, 2013
Toronto

Signed to a 3 year entry level contract by Anaheim a few days ago....

goonx

Nov 7, 2010
Invite to Marlies, sign them to an entry level contract if they can perform.

WildcatMapleLeafs28

Jun 30, 2009
Atlantic Canada
Both of these guys will be nothing more than mediocore AHLers. I've watched them play dozens of times and these two are your typical Q producers who will disappear in the pros...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->