Newsday: Two Islanders who could be traded by NHL deadline

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Short and I think pretty lame for an article, but wanted to share.

The two likely candidates according to Newsday are Nelson and Halak.

Still, if the Islanders are serious about improving defense or goaltending, they will have to deal from strength up front. Nelson is not among the young core...

The Islanders might want to upgrade their goalie position for now and for the future. If so, there is no sense keeping Halak around for the rest of the season.

Two Islanders who could be traded

steveat

Jun 4, 2011
Nah...I can't see them trading Halak. He's being himself after 2/3rds of a season warming up. He is notorious for getting hot late.

As for Nelson....his trade value finally is going back up and will most likely get 20+ goals again this year which is useful to teams and he is still and RFA at the end, which adds even more value.

I honestly think the JT thing is still up in the air. Bob Mckenzie was suggesting that because draft picks haven't been offered in any trade proposals might be a defensive move just in case JT leaves...I mean ...if JT does go, the Isles will need those picks to restock and the fact that they haven't been moved yet, might be because the JT situation hasn't really made any progress. Therefore, why make moves to improve the team and mess up the chemistry that is already there.

Also, with all the injuries, it doesn't make sense to make a trade.. Snow might be thinking that the good run the team made last year (at the end when players were healthy) is the same team this year, so Snow knows the team can do it and when all players are back...they should be able to get hot...why jump the gun and make a trade when a trade isn't necessary. Don't trade for the sake of trading.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Meh. Halak isn't going anywhere and Snow would never give up on Brock Nelson. He's starting to heat up now and Snowy is watching that and thinking "this is the real Brock Nelson, he'll go on a tear and help carry us".

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
Was this written by a part time blogger? It was that bad. No insight on what they might do depending on their record leading up to the draft. Halak being on the table when your alternative is Greiss is laughable. Their most likely move is to do nothing.

Lame Lambert

Fire Lou
Mar 5, 2015
Trading Halak means that they’re giving up on the season, which also means that they should be selling on every UFA (including JT).

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
That was a terrible article. The guy gets paid to write that? I've written betters posts on here than what was in an actual newspaper.

I'm guessing they're struggling since Staple left. Can't imagine anyone else is really familiar with the Islanders.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
Meh. Halak isn't going anywhere and Snow would never give up on Brock Nelson. He's starting to heat up now and Snowy is watching that and thinking "this is the real Brock Nelson, he'll go on a tear and help carry us".
Brock Nelson was a difficult signing last time he was due a new deal.
He remains a player who leaves you thinking he should be doing so much more.
I could see the isles moving on from him, not thinking he will be worth his contract demands.

The Lighthouse

Aug 1, 2011
I could see the isles moving on from him, not thinking he will be worth his contract demands.

We really need to deal Nelson before he pulls off his disappearing act again.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
I agree that Nelson fits your criteria. I doubt Snow would move him if he's heating up. If Nelson is not scoring you would be selling another GM on his past 20 goal seasons and that he needs a change of scenery.

Sparksrus3

Jun 2, 2012

I predict he gets the Dehaan treatment and signs a 1 year deal .
it just seems Garth is a tougher negotiator with drafted guys and gives free agents and traded for guys more dough.

redbull

Boss
Mar 24, 2008
speculating on two inconsequential moves - must be close to the deadline and must be about the islanders.

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
If they could parlay Nelson into a good D man I'd be interested. Maybe Nelson and a 1st for a bonafide top 4, (with term of course).

redbull

Boss
Mar 24, 2008
If they could parlay Nelson into a good D man I'd be interested. Maybe Nelson and a 1st for a bonafide top 4, (with term of course).

I'd love to look deep into the eyes of the GM who identifies Brock Nelson as someone they want on their roster, and is willing to part with a top four defenseman to get him, regardless of how many firsts the Islanders float his way. I just want to experience what it's like to look into those eyes. I'd imagine being confused.

True story: ran into a girl in some distress the other day, at a train station with a flat tire on an old school Honda Prelude (love those cars). It was freezing in our Canadian winter and I don't like cold. She had those electric (plug into lighter) pumps but the tire wasn't inflating yet she was crying for cigarettes. I wanted to help, but, it was really cold, AND she looked a bit nuts. Then she shrieks "Every day I inflate the tire and it's flat again. All I want is a ride to the gas station so I can buy a pack of cigarettes" - and I couldn't help but think "the tire clearly has a hole. The gas station can fix that tire. Is she not connecting those dots?" --- then I did a noble thing, I walked away. Because I don't think this person can be helped, at least not by me, not in that cold.

I imagine such a GM would have similar lookin' eyes.

Reactions: First Blood

Konk

Mar 11, 2008
I'd love to look deep into the eyes of the GM who identifies Brock Nelson as someone they want on their roster, and is willing to part with a top four defenseman to get him, regardless of how many firsts the Islanders float his way. I just want to experience what it's like to look into those eyes. I'd imagine being confused.

True story: ran into a girl in some distress the other day, at a train station with a flat tire on an old school Honda Prelude (love those cars). It was freezing in our Canadian winter and I don't like cold. She had those electric (plug into lighter) pumps but the tire wasn't inflating yet she was crying for cigarettes. I wanted to help, but, it was really cold, AND she looked a bit nuts. Then she shrieks "Every day I inflate the tire and it's flat again. All I want is a ride to the gas station so I can buy a pack of cigarettes" - and I couldn't help but think "the tire clearly has a hole. The gas station can fix that tire. Is she not connecting those dots?" --- then I did a noble thing, I walked away. Because I don't think this person can be helped, at least not by me, not in that cold.

In your story, Garth Snow is you and Islander fans are the girl.

The tire with the hole is the Islanders team itself and cigarettes are wins.

60710606.jpg

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005

Brock Nelson may be able to provide her some assistance.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad