Post-Game Talk (GBU): Two Goals For, Three Goals Against, and Plenty of Shoddy Officiating

PlamsUnlimited

Big Church Bells
May 14, 2010
New York
Just a bit of post game thought:

Buffalo didn't lose this game because officiating. They lost it because they didn't generate a consistent forecheck all game long

In addition to this, I thought that they really flubbed many chances in or near the crease. I was sitting a few rows off the ice where the Sabres shot twice and there could've been 3 or 4 goals last night. But they either deflected away or no one had their sticks down.

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
Before the messed up high-stick call on Vanek, there were two times that a ref blew the whistle on a TB delayed penalty while Buffalo had the puck. One of those times Buffalo had a great scoring opportunity. It was Porter who had the puck walking right out into the slot, and I'm sure he would've hot Bishop in the chest or missed the net, but still it was clueless to blow the play dead.

The Vanek penalty was from the D-man lifting his stick right up into his own face. Not only was the timing of the call jacked up, the call itself was wrong. Still, the team didn't play well enough against a team it should beat at home.

Why were they better in March than they are now?

heartsabres*

bah, can´t really blame the ref. Win the game, same shi$$y refs for both teams

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
G:
-PP can score goals?
-Hodgson with a pair of points
-Foligno, loved his game
-McBain with a real goal and a should've-been goal
-Enroth made some nice save

B
-Still badly outshot
-Whole lot of defensive breakdowns. Almost everyone on this team sucks at defense
-Stafford

U
-officiating
-2nd line center Kevin Porter
-Stamkos is probably killing some fantasy teams

vcv

Mar 12, 2006
Williamsville, NY
Just a bit of post game thought:

Buffalo didn't lose this game because officiating. They lost it because they didn't generate a consistent forecheck all game long

They lost because they're not a good enough team to overcome officiating having a bad night.

Happy medium? :laugh:

Buckets and Gloves

klaatu barada nikto
Aug 14, 2011
Was at game last night... did you guys change your organ to a piano this year??

It was a different sound, maybe just me??

Before it was like you guys had the classic organ and I loved it, last night seemed like it was more of a modern piano type sound.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
The Vanek penalty was from the D-man lifting his stick right up into his own face. Not only was the timing of the call jacked up, the call itself was wrong. Still, the team didn't play well enough against a team it should beat at home.

Rule 60 – High-sticking
60.1 High-sticking - A “high stick†is one which is carried above the height
of the opponent’s shoulders. Players must be in control and
responsible for their stick.
However, a player is permitted accidental
contact on an opponent if the act is committed as a normal windup or
follow through of a shooting motion, or accidental contact on the
opposing center who is bent over during the course of a face-off. A
wild swing at a bouncing puck would not be considered a normal windup or follow through and any contact to an opponent above the
height of the shoulders shall be penalized accordingly.
60.2 Minor Penalty - Any contact made by a stick on an opponent above
the shoulders is prohibited and a minor penalty shall be imposed.

60.3 Double-minor Penalty - When a player carries or holds any part of
his stick above the shoulders of the opponent so that injury results,
the Referee shall assess a double-minor penalty for all contact that
causes an injury, whether accidental or careless, in the opinion of the
Referee.
60.4 Match Penalty – When, in the opinion of the Referee, a player
attempts to or deliberately injures an opponent while carrying or
holding any part of his stick above the shoulders of the opponent, the
Referee shall assess a match penalty to the offending player.
60.5 Goals - An apparent goal scored by an attacking player who strikes
the puck with his stick carried above the height of the crossbar of the
goal frame shall not be allowed. The determining factor is where the
puck makes contact with the stick. If the puck makes contact with the
stick below the level of the crossbar and enters the goal, this goal
shall be allowed.
A goal scored by a defending player who strikes the puck with his
stick carried above the height of the crossbar of the goal frame shall
be allowed.
60.6 Fines and Suspensions - There are no specified fines or
suspensions for high-sticking, however, supplementary discipline can
be applied by the Commissioner at his discretion (refer to Rule 28).

It sucks, but that was the correct call.

And even if they blew the delayed call late, that doesn't change the fact that Vanek did high stick the guy and the goal shouldn't have counted.

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
If high-sticking is going to be called that strictly, I'd just go around grabbing players' sticks and hitting myself in the mouth with them all night long. It's their fault for not being in control of their stick enough to prevent me from doing that. Double minor if I make myself bleed.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
If high-sticking is going to be called that strictly, I'd just go around grabbing players' sticks and hitting myself in the mouth with them all night long. It's their fault for not being in control of their stick enough to prevent me from doing that. Double minor if I make myself bleed.

Vanek isn't the first player, and won't be the last, that gets called for a high stick because a player lifts their stick and it ends up clipping that player or a teammate. Although, Vanek was controlling his stick more than some I've seen in that same spot.

It looked like the Tampa player almost hit himself in the helmet with his own stick...

:dunno:

I'm a bit sensitive to it because I ended up in the ED getting stitches because I was the teammate that got clipped when a guy got his stick lifted and he just let it go right into my eyebrow....

oldgoalie

Goaltending matters.
Jan 7, 2004
VA
Let it also be known that, as well as Enroth played, and as nice as the shot was, he definitely Bryzgalov'd on the first TB goal. Just had to say it

Mad they get.
He played pretty well, but...
He was also woefully out of position for the third goal. I can't be bothered to look at a replay, because frankly, I don't give a **** anymore, but I think he got bumped a bit and never got to his feet.
Of course, the shooter had all ****ing day to pick his spot too.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
I think Enroth's post-game interview is indicative of everything thats wrong with the team....every 10th word was "I dont know"...who held the puck in the zone for you? "i dont know:, who scored on you? "I dont know I stopped one but I dont know"...so on and so forth...I watched this whole game and was disheartened but didnt hold Enroth responsible til I heard him talk...a goalie is a leader and he exuded nothing that said "we deserve to win".

Wow Vanek interviews must drive you bonkers then

cardiffgiant

Continue without supporting us
Sep 28, 2005
Was at game last night... did you guys change your organ to a piano this year??

It was a different sound, maybe just me??

Before it was like you guys had the classic organ and I loved it, last night seemed like it was more of a modern piano type sound.

Speaking of "different sounds"... what in ***k is up with all the techno beeps and squeaks during the intro?

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
He played pretty well,
Yep
but...
He was also woefully out of position for the third goal.
Yep
I can't be bothered to look at a replay, because frankly, I don't give a **** anymore,
Yep
but I think he got bumped a bit and never got to his feet.
Of course, the shooter had all ****ing day to pick his spot too.
Yep.

<<sigh>> Sam, it's gonna be a long season...

I just don't know how, on a delayed penalty call, the offending team can score a goal without a whistle being blown first. In many respects, since this season is all about player development, and separating the wheat from the chaff in terms of futrure roster talent, it really doesn't matter whether BUF wins or loses. Really doesn't. At all. But it's semi-demoralizing when a low-talent team is undermined by the officiating.

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
G:

I liked the effort.
Foligno was a beast.
Fights!
The PP produced!
PKing
Enroth
The defense collapsed well for a majority of the game
Hodgson produced, but...

B:

...he was consistently knocked off the puck easily. If not for the points, he would be in my bad column.
Ennis shows flashes, but still makes too many moves. I liked the way he was battling out there, though. He played better than the previous games.
Stafford. Man, the guy gives a solid effort, but he's always flopping around, or staying on the ice too long, or getting caught offsides.
Myers. I thought he played better than previous games, but he still has a long ways to go.

U:
defensive zone coverage...ouch.

oldgoalie

Goaltending matters.
Jan 7, 2004
VA
Yep
Yep

Yep

Yep.

<<sigh>> Sam, it's gonna be a long season...

I just don't know how, on a delayed penalty call, the offending team can score a goal without a whistle being blown first. In many respects, since this season is all about player development, and separating the wheat from the chaff in terms of futrure roster talent, it really doesn't matter whether BUF wins or loses. Really doesn't. At all. But it's semi-demoralizing when a low-talent team is undermined by the officiating.
I've been *****ing about NHL officiating for years. I can't decide if Shanny's uneven discipline decisions or the officiating is the bigger league joke.
And yeah, I know it's all about player development.
But what if, in 3 years, they aren't better?

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
But it's semi-demoralizing when a low-talent team is undermined by the officiating.

How were they undermined by the refs? At least with the play you mentioned, it was the right call of No Goal and a minor on Vanek.

Sure, it was a bit of a tease because they didn't blow it dead earlier. But, that doesn't really affect the outcome of the game at all.

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
How were they undermined by the refs? At least with the play you mentioned, it was the right call of No Goal and a minor on Vanek.

Sure, it was a bit of a tease because they didn't blow it dead earlier. But, that doesn't really affect the outcome of the game at all.

Bad word choice on my part. Potentially huge psychological swing, that's all. Very brief joy of (erroneously) being up by 2G, to being tied a couple minutes later.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Bad word choice on my part. Potentially huge psychological swing, that's all. Very brief joy of (erroneously) being up by 2G, to being tied a couple minutes later.

I think it affected the fans more than the players. If it had affected the players, then I would have expected it to not even get to OT.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad