Twitter Poll

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
I don't know why so many of you are invested in the outcome of the draft lottery if you don't think it can change the franchise's fortunes.

Melnyk is not selling. Not now, not 5 years from now, probably not ever. You will have to pry this team out of his cold, dead hands.

So why even care? Why be a fan at all?
Pretty much. Hard to let go I guess.

It really is past time to just walk away.

Speatleysson

Jul 2, 2009
Ottawa, Ontario
Truth is, nobody here knows what melnyk's intentions are. Maybe he would pay these youngsters if he decided to keep the team, maybe he has a plan to sell the team in the near future. Also, not that I wish this upon him whatsoever, but maybe health concerns will creep in sometime in the next few years. Donor livers don't last much more than a decade from what I understand.

The point is is that I take 1 and 2 all day long. Melnyk is short term, guys like lafreniere and byfield could be senators for 15+ years.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
One thing's for sure, the marketability of Lafreniere and the interest that will follow is so much higher than any of the others... safe to say they're pinning a lot of their hopes on winning #1.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Drysdale + Perfetti + owner that isn't a complete embarrasment > Lafreniere + Stutzle/Byfield + Melnyk, AINEC

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
One thing's for sure, the marketability of Lafreniere and the interest that will follow is so much higher than any of the others... safe to say they're pinning a lot of their hopes on winning #1.

Ironically, having a superstar who produces could actually increase the value of this franchise substantially, with the greater interest, fan support, merchandise etc., perhaps leading to a more palatable sale price.

In any event, Melnyk defines himself as a hockey franchise owner, I'm not sure what he'd do if he wasn't.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gesus

senators101

Jan 17, 2008
T.O.
Definitely option 2.

With Melnyk still here, we'd draft Laf and Byfield/Stutzle and he'd try to relocate the team.

thinkwild

Veni Vidi Toga
Jul 29, 2003
Ottawa
Devilishly tricky question. You didnt say who the other owner would be. If a Jeffery Loria type was the new owner i might stick with the devil i know. Its too tempting to have a few years of having #1 and #2 on this roster. Do the best thing for the short term now, then hope something changes with ownership later.

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
I'd give away all the 2020 picks if I can get to watch the Sens play at Shopify Centre in Lebreton Flats in 3 years from now.

Reactions: Xspyrit

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
You think Melnyk is willing to pay 2 kids 10+ million on top of what he’ll have to pay Tkachuk?

Another question would be

Are you prepared to attend say 10games a year at a price point 40% higher than last year?

And if the answer to that is no for you personally and Ottawa in general, then you have your answer.

There's no scenario where this team is spending at the cap without a significant increase in gate revenue, which requires a relatively full barn at higher price points

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
5+6 easily.

Especially for this draft, as it's deep enough that 5 & 6 (assuming we pick the right kids) could both be foundation pieces for a new core.

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
Another question would be

Are you prepared to attend say 10games a year at a price point 40% higher than last year?

And if the answer to that is no for you personally and Ottawa in general, then you have your answer.

There's no scenario where this team is spending at the cap without a significant increase in gate revenue, which requires a relatively full barn at higher price points

If I'm going to watch top-end players compete for the cup, I am.

But I also firmly believe that even if the rink was sold out at price points 40% higher than last year, very little of that money would make its way into the payroll.

What did Eugene do after 3 rounds of extra playoff revenue? He slashed payroll.

So IMO, it doesn't matter.

GrantLemons

Church of FYOUS
Feb 3, 2013
Ottawa, ON
Eugene will always find a way to sabotage having the 1 and 2 overall picks. Especially considering he still has way too much control over hockey ops. He just can't help his incompetence.

Give me the owner and 5/6.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Given melnyks age and lafreniere in a senators uniform I’ll painfully go with option A
Wait he’s only 61..?
Ouch. Hmm yeah that’s a tough one. Can’t do it.

Shruggs Peterson

Mar 1, 2017
If I'm going to watch top-end players compete for the cup, I am.

But I also firmly believe that even if the rink was sold out at price points 40% higher than last year, very little of that money would make its way into the payroll.

What did Eugene do after 3 rounds of extra playoff revenue? He slashed payroll.

So IMO, it doesn't matter.

I feel the exactly the same way. No matter the revenue generated from increased ticket sales or from another deep playoff run, that money is going to be allocated elsewhere.

I'd happily go 5/6 and a new owner to end the association of the team to stories like the battle Uncle Euge had with his former pilot over roughly 13k in back pay.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->