Twenty years of Soviet Hockey: 1962 - 1982 (Index of player profiles in OP)

jarek

Aug 15, 2009
I'm wondering what exactly this involved? If they're all playing the system Tarasov created and they're just rolling 5-man units (no line matching, etc. which I believe is accurate, but correct me if I'm wrong), how much else is there to manage during the game? I'm assuming the PP units are just the top two 5-man units. Anyone have some insight on this? Once Tarasov gave him his roster did Chernyshov actually
assemble each 5-man unit?

Through perusing through this thread, it seems like Chernyshev's responsibilities would have been organizing the tactics for the special teams units, as well as handling line changes and all that. He also seemed to be responsible for the line combinations, particularly the guys who play on the special teams.

Beyond that, no idea.

Namba 17

May 9, 2011
From the book by Aleksander Petrov "Secrets of Soviet Hockey":
Журналисты и болельщики из числа так называемых публичных людей, в том числе и из-за поверхностного знания хоккейной истории, ориентируются на специалистов, которые в силу определенных обстоятельств вспоминают в основном Тарасова. Происходит это и потому, что Анатолий Владимирович все-таки был более колоритной фигурой, привлекавшей повышенное внимание. Он умел подать себя блестяще.
Вот он [Чернышев] вообще не стремился к популярности. Его вполне устраивали два любимых занятия – работа в хоккейной спортивной школе и рыбалка.
Тарасов был общественным хоккейным деятелем. Он давал интервью, участвовал в работе тренерского Совета национальной федерации, его часто приглашали за рубеж. То есть человек постоянно находился в центре внимания.

Petrov write here, that people remember Tarasov, because he was public person, some kind of celebrity, who knew how to attract attention and sell himself. On the contrary - Chernyshev didn't care about popularity - he cared about his job and fishing only and avoided public meeting etc.

Last edited:

Theokritos

Global Moderator
Apr 6, 2010
Here's a word on Tarasov's influence on the attitude of the Soviet players, from the autobiography of Boris Mayorov:

1961 World Championship:

Boris Mayorov: "For me and my regular linemates, the 1961 World Championship was the easiest and the most fun tournament to play at out of all seven World Championships I had part in. The weight of having to win the title had not yet laid its immense weight on our shoulders. The prospect of losing to the Canadians didn't seem like a tragedy to us. If it happened, it wasn't bad to become second, and if we didn't become second either, then at least we would end up third. Of course, it pained us when the goalkeeper and the defencemen let us down in the match against Czechoslovakia [a 4-6 loss] which we should have won. We were sad, but nothing worse. After receiving the bronze medal, we looked at them with pride and happiness." "

Чемпионат мира 1961 года был для меня и для моих постоянных партнеров самый легкий и, я бы сказал, самый веселый из всех семи мировых чемпионатов, в которых мне довелось играть. Груз чемпионства еще не лег всей своей громадной тяжестью на плечи нашей команды. Перспектива проигрыша канадцам не казалась нам трагической. А раз так, значит неплохо бы быть вторыми, не вторыми, то на крайний случай — третьими. Мы огорчились, конечно, когда вратарь и защитники подвели нас в матче со сборной Чехословакии, который мы должны были выиграть. Огорчились, но не больше. Получив свои бронзовые медали, мы долго с гордостью и удовольствием их разглядывали

1963 World Championship:

Boris Mayorov: "We beat the Finns in the first match but lost against the Swedes in the second. And again [as in 1961], we took the loss pretty easy. After all, we lost to the home team, one of the other favourites, in a game on equal footing, with the honorable score of 1-2 and the silver medal or, at worst, the bronze medal, was still ours to lose. The next morning (...), there was a team meeting. Never before and never since have we received such a severe dressing-down. The coaches berated us harshly and without mercy. Looking back at it today, I realize how reasonable that was on their part. Apparently there was only one way to induce a qualitative shift in our minds: To talk to us as persons who not only have the potential but actually the obligation to become champions and who weren't willing to do their duty.
I don't know whether I'm right, but I do associate that meeting and the upturn it inspired in the attitude towards the game – both my own attitude and the attitude of the other players – with the arrival of Anatoly Tarasov. He returned to the national team as second coach before the 1963 World Championship. The man was restless, extremely ambitious and constantly thought of the upcoming events. He instilled upon us a spirit of unrest and dissatisfaction with ourselves. (...) For me personally, that moment brought an end to my carefree and peaceful days with the national team. They were replaced by a fortunate but very hard life, made difficult by the awareness that we can and must be champions, otherwise our hopes were wrecked and the disaster was irreparable. And the more championships we won, the stronger this consciousness became. I have to admit: from that time on I was not able sleep without sleeping pills before any important match at any World Championship tournament."

Победив в первом матче финнов, мы уже во втором проиграли шведам. И опять мы отнеслись к этому событию довольно спокойно: как-никак уступили мы хозяевам поля, которые считались к тому же главными фаворитами, уступили в равной игре и с почетным счетом 1:2, наше «серебро» или, на худой конец, «бронза» никуда от нас пока не ушла. А наутро (...) состоялось собрание команды. Кажется, такого сурового нагоняя мы не получали ни до, ни после того собрания. Тренеры распекали нас сурово и беспощадно. Теперь-то я понимаю, насколько разумно поступили они в тот раз. Видно, только так можно было добиться какого-то качественного сдвига в нашем сознании. С нами разговаривали как с людьми, которые не только могут, но которые обязаны стать чемпионами и которые этой своей обязанности не желают выполнять.
Не знаю, прав ли я, но я связываю и то собрание и переворот, который оно произвело в моем отношении к игре своей и своих товарищей, с приходом в сборную Анатолия Тарасова. Именно перед шведским чемпионатом он возвратился в команду и занял в ней пост üтренера. Человек неспокойный, необычайно честолюбивый, мыслями постоянно опережающий события, он и в нас вселил дух беспокойства и неудовлетворенности собой. С этого момента для меня лично кончилась эпоха беспечного и спокойного существования в сборной. Ее сменила счастливая, но очень трудная жизнь, трудная оттого, что ее беспрерывно пронизывает сознание: мы можем и обязаны быть чемпионами, иначе — крушение надежд, непоправимое бедствие. И чем больше побеждали мы на мировых первенствах, тем больше укреплялось это сознание. Могу признаться: с той поры, когда я понял, что мы должны быть чемпионами, ни перед одним ответственным матчем, ни на одном первенстве мира я не сумел заснуть без снотворного.

Last edited:

Namba 17

May 9, 2011
Here is another word on Tarasov's influence on the attitude of the Soviet players from the book by Fedor Razzakov "Anatoliy Tarasov. Battle of Iron Coaches":

...когда стало известно, что в 1954 году сборная СССР дебютирует на своем первом чемпионате мира и Европы в Швеции, старшим тренером был назначен Тарасов...
...Тарасов хотел «задавить» будущих своих соперников на мировом чемпионате с помощью атлетизма, поэтому ввел не двухразовые, а почти трехразовые тренировки...
...Причем это был чистой воды эксперимент, поскольку в те времена никакой научно обоснованной системы такого рода тренировок еще не существовало. И Тарасов все делал по наитию, причем греб всех под одну гребенку – как выносливых хоккеистов, так и менее выносливых. В итоге спустя две недели команда оказалась выжатой как лимон...
...После чего председатель Спорткомитета СССР Николай Романов вынужден был принять меры. И в Чехословакию были отправлены государственный тренер по хоккею Александр Новокрещенов ... и председатель Всесоюзной федерации хоккея Павел Коротков.
Когда они приехали ... то увидели шокирующую картину. Все игроки вповалку лежали на своих кроватях, причем большинство из них в верхней одежде. А на вопрос: «Что происходит?» – команда начала дружно… костерить Тарасова...
А вот что рассказывал о смещении Тарасова очевидец тех событий – Борис Мякиньков, который в тот период был начальником Управления спортивных игр Спорткомитета СССР: Â«Я ...был за то, чтобы вместо Тарасова назначить старшим тренером Чернышева. Почему? Потому что в то время Тарасов не мог морально объединить команду...

When it became known that in 1954 team USSR would debut on its first WC (and European ice hockey championship) in Sweden, Tarasov was appointed as the head coach of the team.
Tarasov wanted to crush their future rivals with the help of physical shape, that's why he used not two-, but almost three-times a day workouts.
It was pure experiment, because at that time there were no science system for such workouts. Tarasov used his intuition only, without personal approach to sportsmen. As a result all the team was completely exhausted.
After that, Chairman of the Sport Committee of the USSR Nikolay Romanov had to adopt measures. State Coach Alexander Novokreschenov and Chairman of the Soviet Ice Hockey Federation Pavel Korotkov were send to CSSR [to the Soviet team].
When they came, they saw surprising picture. All the players laid on their beds, majority of them fully dressed. Answering the question "What's going on here?" payers began to scold Tarasov.
Eyewitness of that events, Boris Myakinkov, who was then Chief of the Sport Games Department of the Sport Committee of the USSR remembers: "I supported the idea to replace Tarasov to Chernyshov. Why? Because at that time Tarasov couldn't rally the team".
http://www.rumvi.com/products/ebook...3-4390-8f0f-b57a3dd021ec/preview/preview.html

Theokritos

Global Moderator
Apr 6, 2010
Thanks for the addition. To clarify, Anatoly Tarasov had three stints as coach of the Soviet national team:

January/February to November 1953: Head coach
March 1957 to December 1960: Head coach
Late 1962 to March 1972: Assistant coach

Not to steal your thunder, but since we're at it, here is a chronological overview of Tarasov's life and career.

Last edited:

Theokritos

Global Moderator
Apr 6, 2010
More from Boris Mayorov's autobiography:

"During training, Chernyshov's place is off the ice, on the other side of the board. Tarasov's place is right on the ice. For orientation, Chernyshov first calmly and very concisely outlines the game plan and the individual tasks. Tarasov complements and concludes the address with emotional appeals like 'don't bring shame upon', 'give everything', 'show your dedication', and so on. It's well known that the two of them sometimes argue for a long time before important decisions, but in front of the players they always stand united and give each other full support.

На тренировках место Чернышева — за пределами поля, все у того же бортика, место Тарасова — в гуще событий, на льду. На установках Чернышев говорит первым, сдержанно и предельно сжато излагая план игры и задания каждому. Тарасов его дополняет и завершает свою речь эмоциональными призывами «не посрамить», «отдать все силы», «проявить преданность» и т. д. Все знают, что, прежде чем принять какое-то важное решение, они порой подолгу спорят, но на глазах игроков выступают всегда единым фронтом и во всем друг друга поддерживают.

"Really, how different our coaches are as people! A greater difference would be hard to find, even if one tried. I just can't imagine Chernyshov talking loudly and Tarasov talking softly. I don't think I have ever seen Chernyshov lose his state of inner balance, even when his club Dinamo Moscow or the national team suffered a heavy defeat. Tarasov I've never seen remaining calm, not even when the situation didn't call for unrest. Chernyshov is not so easy to find among the players during the match, he takes a place at the board and his clothes are all black and gray, as if he wanted to remain in the shadows. Tarasov can never sit still for more than five seconds in a row. His loud rants are good fodder for the reporters and his facial expressions and his gestures attract the cameras like a magnet."

Действительно, до чего же разные люди наши тренеры! Более разных трудно было бы найти, даже если искать специально. Я так же не могу представить Чернышева, говорящего громко, как Тарасова, говорящего тихо. Я, кажется, ни разу в жизни не видел Чернышева выведенным из состояния душевного равновесия, даже в минуты тяжелых поражений его команд — «Динамо» или сборной. Тарасова я никогда не видал спокойным, даже когда ни обстановка, ни время дня не давали никаких поводов для волнений.Чернышева не так-то просто разыскать среди игроков во время матча; он занимает свое место у бортика и одет-то всегда словно нарочно, чтобы остаться в тени — во все черно-серое. Тарасов не может усидеть на месте более пяти секунд подряд. Его громогласные тирады — хлеб для репортеров, его мимика и жестикуляция, словно магнит, притягивают к себе кино-, фото- и телеобъективы.

"Tarasov and Chernyshov not only got along and worked together, they helped each other and led the team to seven [World Championship] victories in a row. Strange, isn't it? Or maybe not so strange? Maybe that's the principle that should guide the selection of the team coaches: that they should complement and enrich each other? Maybe it is in the mutual criticism and in the long and bitter debates between people of different views, characters and temperaments that the truth is born?"

Но Чернышев и Тарасов не просто уживаются, а сотрудничают, помогают друг другу и семь лет подряд ведут сборную по дороге побед. Не правда ли, странно? А может, не так уж странно? Может, по такому принципу и должны подбираться тренеры в команду — чтобы один дополнял и обогащал другого? Может, именно во взаимной критике, в долгих и мучительных спорах людей полярных взглядов, характеров, темпераментов и рождается истина?

EDIT: A more fluid translation (by Arthur Chidlovski) can be found here.

Last edited:

Theokritos

Global Moderator
Apr 6, 2010
MAYOROV – STARSHINOV – MAYOROV

Last year I did Aleksandrov – Almetov – Loktev, now I finally got to Mayorov – Starshinov – Mayorov. (I hope it doesn't take me another year to proceed to the next bunch of players!) This post contains general informations on the trio. More about the individual players to follow later.

1) GENERAL COMMENTS

Leonid Goryanov: "With the advent of the Starshinov line, life became very interesting for hockey fans in our country. When the three of them were on the ice, not even the most powerful and decorated team could be considered safe and beyond defeat."
С появлением тройки Старшинова любителям, истинным знатокам хоккея в нашей стране стало просто-напросто интереснее жить. Пока они были на льду, ни одна команда, самая сильная и титулованная, не могла считать себя в безопасности, не могла быть гарантирована от поражений и неудач.

Nikolay Sologubov: "From the beginning all three of them stood out notably among the Spartak players and they immediately became the center of the attention of both the spectators and the press."
Все они на первых порах резко выделялись среди остальных спартаковских игроков и, очевидно, именно поэтому сразу оказались в центре внимания зрителей и прессы.

Anatoly Tarasov (1971): "In the 1960s, the pride and jewel of Soviet hockey were its undisputed best forward lines: The Starshinov trio of Spartak Moscow and the Almetov trio of CSKA. These lines had no equal. Their places on the national team were booked for many years to come."
В шестидесятых годах лучшими звеньями советского хоккея, его гордостью и украшением были, безусловно, тройки Вячеслава Старшинова из московского "Спартака" и Александра Альметова из ЦСКА. Эти звенья не имели себе равных. Места в национальной сборной были им забронированы на много лет вперед.

Anatoly Firsov: "The trio Yevgeny Mayorov – Vyacheslav Starshinov – Boris Mayorov is considered one of the strongest in the history of our hockey."
Одной из сильнейших в истории нашего хоккея по праву считается тройка Евгений Майоров–Вячеслав Старшинов–Борис Майоров.

Anatoly Tarasov (1971): "In the neutral zone the wingers of the Starshinov line normally stayed wide and waited for a pass from their center forward to start an attack. In contrast, the Almetov line was usually interchangeable in the neutral zone and all players took turns in driving the puck into attack, Loktev and Almetov more often though. (...) While the Almetov line was geared to surprising and nifty work with the puck, the Starshinov line excelled through enormous purposefulness, strength, determination, grit and heart. What they conceded in elegance, they made up for with their feisty character and drive, both based on a high level of technical skills and tactical sense."
В средней зоне тройка Старшинова, как правило, сохраняла широту атаки, фланговые игроки обычно ждали паса от своего центрального нападающего. А вот в тройке Альметова в средней зоне происходила обычно взаимозаменяемость, шайбу в атаку вводили поочередно все игроки - чаще всего К. Локтев и А. Альметов. (...) Если звено Альметова в этой фазе игры ориентировалось на неожиданное и изящное разыгрывание шайбы, то звено Старшинова отличалось колоссальной целенаправленностью и силой, настойчивостью, смелостью и мужеством. Проигрывая товарищам по хоккею в элегантности, спартаковцы подкупали своим боевым характером, напором, основанным, разумеется, на высокой технике, солидной тактргческой умудренности.

Leonid Goryanov: "Those who saw them will never forget the famous and incomparable 'Spartak Carousel' – that's how the game of the Starshinov line was referred to by millions of fans. To me personally, what they did on the ice always appeared comparable to the picture of an aerial combat. Like two state-of-the-art fighter jets making sharp turns over and over again, Boris and Yevgeny perform elaborate aerobatics to avoid the defencemen and then, seizing the right moment, they irresistibly dive down on the goal of the opponent."
Кто их видел, тот никогда не забудет знаменитую, ни с чем не сравнимую «спартаковскую карусель» — так окрестили действия «старшиновской» тройки миллионы болельщиков. Мне же лично то, что они творили на льду, всегда хотелось сравнить с картиной воздушного боя. Действительно, Борис, Евгений, как два современных реактивных истребителя, то и дело уходили на большие развороты, выполняли, обходя защитников, замысловатые фигуры высшего пилотажа, а затем, улучив благоприятный момент, неотразимо пикировали на ворота неприятеля.

Boris Mayorov: "Together we kept the puck in the offensive zone for a prolonged time with endless quick movements of all three of us around the goal and in the corners of the rink. Later someone came up with a good name for it: 'Spartak Carousel'. How this style was born? Honestly, I don't know. We never practiced or planned our combinations in advance."
В ту пору уже стал довольно ясно вырисовываться почерк нашей тройки, связанный с долгим розыгрышем шайбы в зоне противника, с бесконечными быстрыми перемещениями всех троих и у ворот и в углах поля. Позже кто-то придумал неплохое название — «спартаковская карусель». Как он родился, этот стиль? Честное слово, не знаю. Мы никогда в жизни не разучивали и не продумывали заранее свои комбинации.

Vyacheslav Starshinov: "We didn't think up anything extraordinary. We just executed the usual standard patterns quicker and with more deftness than usual."
Ничего особенного не выдумали. Игра складывалась из обычных стандартных положений, разыгрываемых быстрее, сноровистей обычного.

Boris Mayorov: "They started to say: 'They understand each other at a glance.' But these words very insufficiently reflect our relation on the ice. 'At a glance'? We did not even need any hint or glance! For example, according to how and where Yevgeny moved and how he held his stick, I was able to determine within a few centimeters to whom and to where he was going to give the puck. I got ready to receive it and Vyacheslav, without even looking in my direction, knew or sixth-sensed exactly what I was about to do."
О нас стали говорить: они понимают друг друга с полуслова. Эти слова очень неточно передают наши отношения на поле. Какое там «с полуслову»! Нам не требовалось ни полуслова, ни полувзгляда. По тому, как и куда двигался, скажем, тот же Женька на площадке, как он держал клюшку, я уже мог с точностью до нескольких сантиметров определить, кому и в какое место он собирается отдать шайбу. Я готовился ее принять, а Славка, даже не взглянув в мою сторону, точно знал — или чувствовал каким-то шестым чувством? — какое решение я приму.

Vyacheslav Starshinov: "Our trio clicked because we obviously understood each other perfectly well."
Тройка наша получилась, видимо, потому, что понимали мы друг друга прекрасно.

2) DEVELOPMENT

1955-1956: Boris Mayorov called up from junior team to senior team of Spartak Moscow.
1956-1957: His twin brother Yevgeny is called up too. Both brothers play on a line together, centered by a forward named Vladimir Maltsev.
1957-1958: New Spartak coach Aleksandr Igumnov replaces Vladimir Maltsev with Vyacheslav Starshinov (17):

Boris Mayorov: "Yevgeny and I reacted with distrust. He didn't impress us at all on the ice. He was a slow and poor skater. His comprehension was even slower. He was not fast enough to keep up for the passing. (...) We really didn't like our new linemate and I remember what Igumnov boldly said in response to our dissatisfied grumbling: 'Trust my words, in a few years this guy will play center forward for the national team.' (...) Our discontent vanished very soon. With a baffling rapidity, the rookie became better and better from match to match right in front of our eyes. Now that I know Vyacheslav Starshinov well, it's not difficult for me to explain what happened. The man is incredible stubborn, persistent and dedicated. If he sets himself any task, no barrier can stop him. (...) As time passed, Yevgeny and I liked him more and more as a linemate. Granted, he was still not very agile, but if you set him up properly to unlash his clumsy shot, the puck would end up in the goal without failure. (...) Finally, having played with Starshinov a while, my brother and I realized that a feisty, ram-raiding and heavy player like him was just what our fast but a bit lightweight line had been missing."
Мы с Женькой отнеслись к нему недоверчиво. На площадке он нам и вовсе не понравился. На коньках бегает медленно и плохо. Соображает еще медленнее. С пасом все время запаздывает, на передачи не поспевает. (...) Помню, в ответ на недовольное наше ворчание по поводу нового партнера, который поначалу нам активно не понравился, Игумнов уверенно сказал: — Поверьте моему слову, этот парень через несколько лет станет центральным нападающим сборной. (...) Наше недовольство испарилось очень скоро. Новичок прогрессировал прямо на глазах, от матча к матчу, с какой-то непостижимой быстротой. Теперь-то, когда я хорошо знаю Вячеслава Старшинова, мне нетрудно объяснить, в чем тут было дело. Человек он невероятно упорный, настойчивый и целеустремленный. Уж если он поставил перед собой какую-нибудь задачу, никакие преграды на пути его не остановят. (...) Но время шло, и нам с Женькой он все больше и больше нравился как партнер. Ну и что ж, что он все еще не очень-то поворотлив? Зато если выложишь ему как следует шайбу под его корявый бросок, можешь не сомневаться — доставать ее придется из сетки. (...) И вот наконец, поиграв со Старшиновым некоторое время, мы с братом поняли, что именно такого пробивного, таранного, тяжеловатого игрока как раз и не хватало нашей быстрой, но слишком уж какой-то легковесной тройке.

1958-1959: The Soviet hockey federation names both Mayorov brothers and Starshinov among the "top 33 players" (20 of them forwards) of the season. Boris Mayorov even makes the Soviet All-star team as one of the top 5 players of the year. The trio turns heads with their performance against the visiting US team in March 1959:

Vyacheslav Starshinov: "The proper emergence of our trio began with our performance for the junior national team against the United States. It was towards the end of the season. We beat the Americans by the scores of 6-1 and 4-3. Eight of the ten goals were scored by the three of us."
И все же становление игрового ансамбля, по справедливости, началось с выступления нашей тройки против сборной Соединенных Штатов в составе молодежной сборной страны. Это было в конце того же сезона. Мы выиграли у американцев со счетом 6 : 1 и 4 : 3. Восемь на десяти шайб забросила наша, спартаковская, тройка.

Boris Mayorov: "We received praise and congratulations. The next morning I got up early and rushed to a nearby kiosk for the newspapers. My hurry was not in vain. There was no paper that did not mention the performance of our trio against the Americans. I was in seventh heaven."
Нам дважды пришлось сыграть с американцами, оба раза выиграли, причем из десяти шайб, побывавших в американских воротах, семь забросила наша тройка. Нас хвалили, поздравляли. А наутро я встал пораньше и помчался к ближайшему киоску за газетами. Я торопился не зря. Не было газеты, которая не упомянула бы в рассказе об играх с американцами нас троих. Я был на седьмом небе.

However, the season ends with a suspension against Boris Mayorov and criticism by sports journalists Vladimir Pakohomov ("Sovietsky Sport") and Anatoly Salutsky ("Komsomolskaya Pravda"):

Boris Mayorov: "Soon I discovered the other side of the coin. It turned out that a newspaper can not only glorify you. We played an away game against Traktor Chelyabinsk when I commited an infraction (I don't remember what it was) and earned a ten-minute penalty. Yevgeny and Vyacheslav also drew penalties. Back then I was not particularly worried about such penalties and I took plenty of them throughout the season. But after the game our manager Ivan Adamovich took me aside and whispered: 'Pakhomov, the correspondent of Sovietsky Sport, has asked questions about you. He says he is going to write about your shtick.' Now that was a turn of affairs I had not expected. (...) After the ten-minute penalty I was called to a meeting of the Sports Technical Commission and was suspended for the rest of the season. Fortunately it was spring and there were only two games left to play."
А вскоре мне открылась и другая сторона медали. Оказывается, газета может не только прославить. Мы играли в Челябинске с местной командой «Трактор». Я проштрафился (теперь не помню уж чем) и заработал десятиминутное удаление. Женька и Славка проштрафились тоже. Меня тогда такие взыскания особенно не беспокоили: я их получал за сезон сколько угодно. Но после игры в гостинице меня подозвал к себе Иван Васильевич Адамович, наш администратор, отвел в сторону и таинственным шепотом произнес: (...) Тут Пахомов, корреспондент «Советского спорта» из Москвы, о тебе расспрашивал. Говорит, что будет писать о ваших фокусах. Такого оборота дела я не ожидал никак. (...) Помню, после очередного десятиминутного удаления меня вызвали на заседание спортивно-технической комиссии и дисквалифицировали до конца сезона (к счастью, дело было весной, и нам оставалось доиграть всего два матча).

1959-1960: The trio is called up to the second national team (USSR B). Boris Mayorov and Vyacheslav Starshinov (but for some reason not Yevgeny Mayorov) tour Canada with USSR B.
1960-1961: Call up to Soviet national team.

Viktor Konovalenko: "The Spartak players were called up to the national team at the same time as I was. Before 1961, no-one from that club had participated in a World Championship. And then a whole trio of interesting forwards appeard on the team: the brothers Boris and Yevgeny Mayorov and Vyacheslav Starshinov."
Хоккеисты московского «Спартака» появились в сборной одновременно со мной. До 1961 года на мировых чемпионатах этот клуб никто не представлял. И вот в команде появилась целая тройка интересных нападающих – братья Борис и Евгений Майоровы и Вячеслав Старшинов.

Boris Mayorov: "Our trio was called up to the national team shortly before the 1961 World Championship. But the three of us – Slava Starshinov, my brother Yevgeny and I – still had to prove our right to travel to [the World Championship in] Switzerland. Two forward lines were fixtures: the CSKA line with Konstantin Loktev, Aleksandr Almetov and Veniamin Aleksandrov, and the Lokomotiv line with Nikolay Snetkov, Viktor Yakushev and Viktor Tsyplakov. But the third line was not yet determined. Apart from us, the candidates were Vladimir Yurzinov (Dinamo), Valentin Senyuskhin (CSKA) and Igor Dekonsky (CSKA). (...) In the last two practice matches (against Czechoslovak club teams) we did remarkably well and scored seven resp. eight goals. That secured our spot at the World Championship."
Нашу тройку включили в сборную незадолго до первенства мира 1961 года. Но нам — Славе Старшинову, моему брату Жене и мне — предстояло еще доказать свое право на поездку в Швейцарию. Две тройки у тренеров сомнений не вызывали (в одну входили игроки ЦСКА Константин Локтев, Александр Альметов и Вениамин Александров, в другую — Николай Снетков, Виктор Якушев и Виктор Цыплаков из «Локомотива»). А вот состав третьей был неясен. Кроме нас, кандидатами были еще Владимир Юрзинов из «Динамо», Валентин Сенюшкин и Игорь Деконский из ЦСКА. (...) Последние тренировочные матчи мы действительно провели на редкость удачно, забросив в ворота спарринг-партнеров сборной — двух чехословацких клубных команд — то ли по семь, то ли по восемь шайб. Этим наша тройка обеспечила себе поездку на первенство мира.

1961 World Championship in Switzerland:

Boris Mayorov: "For me and my linemates, the 1961 World Championship was the easiest and the most fun tournament to play at out of all seven World Championships I had part in. The weight of having to win the title had not yet laid its immense weight on our shoulders. (...) We entered the competition and according to our coaches our trio was the best on our team on the rinks of Lausanne and Geneve. (...) We were happy with our performance and my ambition was pampered by the fact that I was the best scorer of the tournament, ahead of such luminaries as [Sven] Tumba, [Nisse] Nilsson, [Miroslav] Vlach, [Vlastimil] Bubník, [Jack] McLeod and [Addie] Tambellini."
Чемпионат мира 1961 года был для меня и для моих постоянных партнеров самый легкий и, я бы сказал, самый веселый из всех семи мировых чемпионатов, в которых мне довелось играть. Груз чемпионства еще не лег всей своей громадной тяжестью на плечи нашей команды. (...) На то первенство мы попали и, по мнению тренеров, наша тройка была на катках Лозанны и Женевы лучшей в сборной. (...) Мы были довольны качеством своей игры, а мое честолюбие к тому же тешило сознание, что я оказался самым результативным игроком чемпионата, обогнав таких корифеев, как Тумба, Нильссон, Влах, Бубник, Маклеод, Тамбеллини.

Leonid Goryanov: "Old-time hockey great Vlastimil Bubník of Czechoslovakia, a contemporary of Vsevolod Bobrov, wrote in one of his reports in the 'Rude Pravo' newspaper: 'Here in Switzerland we saw a very interesting line on the team of our Soviet friends, consisting of the Mayorov brothers and Vyacheslav Starshinov. In my opinion these athletes strengthen the attacking power of the team considerably and they also add a healthy fervour to the game without conceding anything in the skill department. The appearance of this interesting trio opens new opportunities for the national team of the USSR.'"
Известный в прошлом хоккеист сборной Чехословакии, современник Всеволода Боброва Властимил Бубник писал в те дни в газете «Руде право» в одном из своих отчетов: «Здесь, в Швейцарии, в составе команды наших советских друзей мы увидели очень интересное звено, в котором играют два брата Майоровых и Вячеслав Старшинов. Эти спортсмены, на мой взгляд, значительно усилили атакующую мощь команды, а также внесли в ее игру здоровый азарт, при этом ни в чем не уступая уже знакомым нам игрокам в мастерстве. Появление этой интересной тройки открывает перед сборной СССР новые возможности...»

From then on the Starshinov line was a fixture on the Soviet national team.

3) QUOTED LITERATURE (in order of publication date):

Nikolay Sologubov: Мой друг хоккей (1967)
Boris Mayorov: Я смотрю хоккей (1970)
Vyacheslav Starshinov: Я – центрфорвард (1971)
Anatoly Tarasov: Хоккей грядущего (1971=2nd edition)
Anatoly Firsov: Зажечь победы свет (1973)
Leonid Goryanov: Рыцари атаки (1983)
Viktor Konovalenko: Третий период (1986)

Last edited:

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
:huh: I'm a pretty sympathetic and informed Soviet international greats fan but on this guy I'm drawing a blank. (I'll google him afterwards, but at seeing his name I draw a huge blank.)

Theokritos

Global Moderator
Apr 6, 2010
:huh: I'm a pretty sympathetic and informed Soviet international greats fan but on this guy I'm drawing a blank. (I'll google him afterwards, but at seeing his name I draw a huge blank.)

He wasn't a player but a sports writer/journalist. Those guys are far less well-known outside of the Russian-speaking world. :)

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
He wasn't a player but a sports writer/journalist. Those guys are far less well-known outside of the Russian-speaking world. :)
Ah, like a Mike Lange or Eric Duhatschek. Got it.

You may not know them but they are HHOF-inducted journalists. Maybe your guy should be, too!

Theokritos

Global Moderator
Apr 6, 2010
BORIS MAYOROV (LW, *1938)

Soviet senior league:
1955-1970.

Soviet national team:
1961 World Championship, 1963 WCh, 1964 Olympics, 1965 WCh, 1966 WCh, 1967 WCh, 1968 Olympics.

Soviet honours:
1958-59: top 20 forward, All-star
1959-60: top 16 forward
1960-61: top 19 forward
1961-62: top 20 forward, All-star
1962-63: top 20 forward
1963-64: #3 left winger
1964-65: #1 left winger
1965-66: #3 left winger
1966-67: #3 left winger, All-star
1967-68: #2 left winger
1968-69: #3 left winger

International honours:
1961 WCh All-star
1964 Olympics Best Forward

General comments on his game:

Anatoly Tarasov (1971): "Boris Mayorov was a well-rounded player, someone who could not only beat any defencemen and trouble any goaltender, someone not only always showing up, but also always a clever and intriguing player with the talent to think several steps ahead. During all of his career, Boris was a team player who readily and skillfully fed the other forwards and the defencemen on his line with passes."
Борис Майоров, хоккеист широкого диапазона, игрок, способный не только обыграть в единоборстве любого опекуна и доставить неприятность самому классному вратарю, игрок, отличающийся не только постоянной результативностью, но и умеющий столь же хорошо, интересно и, я бы сказал, талантливо мыслить на несколько ходов вперед. Борис всегда, во все годы своих выступлений в хоккее, доброжелательно относился к партнерам, много, охотно и умело пасовал, вводил в игру и товарищей по тройке и защитников, играющих с этим звеном.

Vadim Krivenko, Novosti Press Agency (1967):
"An all-round player, is fast and capable of dodging past two or three "shadows", his passes are deadly accurate, but doesn't mind trying to beat the rival goalie himself if the opportunity arises."

Leonid Goryanov: "His passing was precise, his reflexes were excellent and his understanding of both his line mates and the game situation were top-notch."
Обладал ювелирным пасом, отличной реакцией, безупречным пониманием партнеров и игровых ситуаций.

Anatoly Tarasov (1974): "He loved to score goals, but was never selfish and passed the puck to his partners frequently. Sometimes it looked as if he deliberately put himself in difficult situations in order to make life easier for his line mates."
Сам забивать любил, но никогда не жадничал – передачами обеспечивал партнеров щедро. Порой, казалось, умышленно ставил себя в сложные ситуации, чтобы облегчить жизнь товарищам по звену.

Vyacheslav Starshinov: "In the technique of Boris Mayorov, all of his athletic talents were on display: his impulsiveness, sharp vision and sound reaction. His technical skills allowed him to make abrupt shifts. How dramatically did he change direction during his attacks and how many surprises did he have in stock! Drive was the fundament of his volcanic game. And how reliable he was! (...) With his long stride and the sweeping motion of his stick blade on the ice, Mayorov was certainly not as elegant as the subtle Veniamin Aleksandrov. Mayorov didn't look for the free ice. He went straight ahead, no matter who was in front of him, an ordinary defenceman or the giant Ragulin. He headed towards the frontal collision without fear, and just before the crash he sharply changed the rythm and direction of his movement [to get away]."
В технике Бориса Майорова были видны все черты его спортивного таланта. Его импульсивность, острая восприимчивость. Безошибочная реакция заметна и на площадке и вне ее. И техника, рассчитанная на мгновенно меняющуюся ситуацию. Как резко меняется направление атаки Бориса, сколько неожиданностей таит в себе его техника — боевая основа его вулканической игры! И как она надежна! (...) Широкий шаг Майорова, размашистые движения крюка но льду, конечно, не так изящны, как неуловимые «переборки» Вениамина Александрова. Майоров не ищет свободного льда. Он идет прямо вперед. И ему все равно, кто впереди — рядовой защитник или гигант Рагулин. Он бесстрашно идет в «лоб» на столкновение. И перед самым столкновением резко меняет ритм и направление движения...

Leonid Goryanov: "Receiving the puck, handling it, passing it, stopping and turning instantly, shooting with his famous backhander – all of this was done with whirlwind pace."
Прием шайбы, ведение ее, пас, торможение, мгновенные развороты, бросок по воротам — его знаменитый бросок с «неудобной» руки — все это исполнялось на вихревой скорости (...).

Vyacheslav Starshinov: "When I didn't manage to give a precise pass, he still received the puck as if I had passed it with perfection. His body, legs and sticks were positioned so that even if the puck akwardly hit his skates, he managed to handle it with one quick move, like only he could."
Далеко не всегда удается передать точно. Но он принимает шайбу, будто я даю пас идеально. Корпус, ноги, клюшка Бориса расположены так, что, даже если я неловко попадаю шайбой в его коньки, он неуловимым, свойственным только ему одному движением умеет удержать шайбу в боевом положении.

Passing:

Vyacheslav Starshinov: "His passes were distinguished by two characteristic features. Firstly, his transmissions were such that the receiver couldn't ask for more. The only thing left to do was to score. Secondly, his transmissions were completely unexpected to the opponent. It's strange because many of our opponents have known us and closely followed us for a long time, and still they often couldn't guess the next move of Mayorov. Boris on the other hand always knew how to let me feel what would follow."
Его пас отличали два характерных признака. Во-первых, его передача как бы исчерпывала все, что получающий ее мог бы пожелать. Оставалось только забить. Во-вторых, его передача была совершенно неожиданна для противника. Странно, ведь многие из наших соперников давно знали нас, вероятно, внимательно следили за нами и все-таки часто не могли угадать следующего хода Майорова. С другой стороны, Борис всегда умел дать мне почувствовать, чтоб сейчас последует...

Cooperation with Slava Starshinov:

Vyacheslav Starshinov: "Mayorov played left wing. Logically, since I'm a left-handed shooter, it's more conventient for me to receive passes from the right side. So what did Boris do? He strived to drive around the goal to send the puck from the right to my 'comfortable' hand."
Майоров — левый крайний. По логике, мне было бы удобнее забивать щелчком, получая передачу справа, ведь я левша. И Борис... Как он стремился заехать за ворота, чтобы передать мне шайбу под «удобную» руку, справа!

Anatoly Tarasov (1971): "Our hockey fans are probably aware that Starshinov holds the stick in his left hand which makes it more comfortable for him to receive passes from the right side. But [Boris] Mayorov played on the left wing. And he found a solution how to deliver the puck to Starshinov's stick side: he went behind the net and suddenly – faking a direct threat on goal –, he sent the puck to the his center's convenient side. The cooperation of those two wizards of the game was amazing. However, in my opinion Mayorov should have taken charge of the game more often and to a greater degree, for that would have helped his line mates [even more] and made their task easier."
Наши хоккейные болельщики, видимо, знают, что Старшинов держит клюшку в левой руке, и потому ему удобнее получать шайбу с правого фланга, под правую руку. Майоров же, как известно, играл на левом краю. И вот Борис нашел решение для передачи шайбы Вячеславу справа: он стал идти за ворота и оттуда неожиданно, имитируя непосредственную угрозу воротам, посылать шайбу своему центрфорварду под удобную руку. Согласованность действий этих двух кудесников игры и в своей команде, и в национальной сборной была поразительной. Впрочем, иногда, на мой взгляд, Майорову следовало бы еще чаще и больше брать игру на себя: ведь и такая манера игры помогает товарищам, облегчает действия партнеров.

Nikolay Sologubov: "Boris Mayorov particularly is a master at holding the puck in the corners of the rink, from where he usually gives a sharp and precise pass to Vyacheslav Starshinov."
Борис Майоров особенно виртуозно держит шайбу в углах площадки, откуда обычно дает очень точный и острый пас Вячеславу Старшинову.

Vyacheslav Starshinov: "Here's what a typical Mayorov goal looks like: I send the puck to Boris in our own zone. Already picking up speed, he receives the pass and in a flash he turns up the pace and darts down the boards. He encounters [Aleksandr] Ragulin. Mayorov demonstratively turns towards the corner. Aleksandr is behind him, getting ready to crush him into the boards and stop his daring foray. The rest happens in the fraction of a second: Boris abruptly flips the puck. For a moment it seems to hang in the air, not moving. And Boris makes a sharp turn away from Ragulin, towards the center. I hurry to take his place [on left wing]. We're basically crossing paths with each other. This leads the defenceman and the goaltender astray. They expect Mayorov to pass to me. But it's already too late. The puck lands in the net and Boris rushes to me, jubilating with his stick raised."
А «майоровскнй» гол! Я даю пас Боре из своей зоны. Он принимает пас уже набрав скорость... И сразу — резкое ускорение, рывок по краю. Бориса встречает Рагулин. Майоров открыто демонстрпрует, что движется в угол... Александр — за ним. Там, в углу, он прижмет Майорова к борту, лишит этого агрессивного, азартного бойца маневра... Дальнейшее происходит в доли секунды. Борис резко подбрасывает шайбу, она на мгновение как бы повисает в воздухе, остановившись. И Борис, круто, рывком изменив направление, уходит от Рагулина в центр. Я спешу на его место. Мы как бы пересекаем пути друг другу. Это вводит в заблуждение и защитника и вратаря. Они, видимо, ждут острой передачи мне. Но уже поздно... Шайба бьется в сетке, а ликующий Борис делает крутой вираж и несется ко мне с поднятой вверх клюшкой.

Understanding of the game:

Vyacheslav Starshinov: "His tactical vigilance helped us all. That's an interesting feature of Mayorov: his ability to see the game perfectly well, to think the game in an original manner and to direct it on the ice with finesse. (...) When our line didn't perform as well as usual, he was the first to figure out the tactical cause. For example, we seemed to play with all our power, but our game didn't click. It turned out I was moving too far ahead and violated, so to say, the ideal setup of the forward trio, the rule of the 'triangle with the apex inward'."
Но тактическая зоркость Бориса в который раз помогала всем нам. Это было интереснейшей чертой Майорова — умение отлично видеть игру, оригинально мыслить в игре и тонко дирижировать ею на поле... (...) Он же первым определил суть тактической ошибки, из-за которой наше звено некоторое время играло слабее обычного. Играем, казалось бы, изо всех сил, а игра не идет, не получается. Оказалось, что, выдвигаясь сильно вперед, я нарушал правило «треугольника вершиной внутрь», нарушал, так сказать, идеальное расположение тройки.

Defensive game:

Vyacheslav Starshinov: "We only learned the art of defending when we were already in the senior team (...) That's something we didn't learn in our youth, so we didn't have any settled skills. Our thirst for the game made up for it. (...) When Boris began his career in senior hockey, the slogan 'five in attack, five in defence' wasn't yet a thing. In those days the forwards, in particular the wingers, didn't like to participate in the defence and it wasn't required from them. It seems this should explain the characteristics of Boris Mayorov. One could put it like this: in defence, he fought with knowhow and heart and without self-indulgence, but it wasn't entirely his element. (...) He defended selflessly and effectively, but, I would say, clumsily."
Мы учились искусству защищаться уже в команде мастеров (...) Но в юности мы этому не учились, поэтому закрепленных навыков у нас не было, это компенсировалось жаждой игры. (...) Когда Борис начинал свой путь в большом хоккее, не было лозунга: «пять в защите, пять в нападении». Нападающие, особенно крайние, раньше не любили защищаться, да это и не требовалось от них в те времена. Видимо, этим нужно объяснить особенность Бориса Майорова, про которую можно было бы сказать так: боролся в защите грамотно, самоотверженно, без всякой жалости к себе, но это не его стихия.(...) Вот и получалось, что Борис защищался самоотверженно и продуктивно, но, я бы сказал, коряво.

Passion and temperament:

Anatoly Tarasov (1968): "What I always liked about Boris was his insatiable love for hockey, his hard work, his passion and his complete dedication to the game. (...) The captain of Spartak Moscow plays a lively game, keeps the puck close, has an active stick and knows how to deke. At high speed, Boris sends the puck far ahead and then picks it up himself. The hotter the battle on the ice, the more likely Mayorov gets involved, without ever betraying his fine skill level, not even in the fiercest battle."
Борис всегда мне нравился своей жадной любовью к хоккею, своим трудолюбием, страстностью, умением отдаваться игре до конца. (...) Играет капитан московского «Спартака» размашисто, шайбу ведет то короткими, то широкими, свободными движениями клюшки, охотно и умело применяет финты. На большой скорости Борис то посылает шайбу далеко вперед, то убирает ее под себя. Чем жарче разгорается бой на ледяной площадке, тем охотнее ввязывается в него Майоров, не теряя при этом даже в самой напряженной схватке своей высокой техники.

Leonid Goryanov: "Nothing he ever did was done half-heartedly, his intense energy and competitive character constantly called him to action. That's why he always played with full strength, passion and heart, and his dedication and fire couldn't fail to carry over to his team mates."
Он ничего и никогда не делал вполсилы, его насыщенная энергией, жаждой борьбы натура постоянно требовала активных действий. Вот почему в любой ситуации он играл в полную силу, горячо, азартно, и в конце концов его увлеченность, его пыл передавались всем.

Anatoly Firsov: "I think it's not a secret to sports fans that Mayorov and Starshinov are more than just temperamental, especially Boris. At the peak of his extraordinary talent, the captain of our national team always seemed like dynamite to me. Once he exploded, it was impossible to stop him: then he easily got rid off the player guarding him and either scored or gave a pass in such a manner that everybody just gasped in amazement. But the 'explosions' of Boris didn't always have a constructive character: he reacted passionately to any wrong-doing, whether it was the roughness of an opponent, a mistake by the referee or a blunder by a line mate."
Думаю, не открою любителям спорта большого секрета, если замечу, что и Майоров и Старшинов – люди более чем темпераментные. Особенно Борис. Динамит, готовый взорваться ежесекундно, – таким представлялся мне капитан нашей сборной в годы наивысшего расцвета своего необыкновенного таланта. Он взрывался в игре, и тогда удержать его было невозможно: он легко расправлялся со своим опекуном и забивал, забивал или давал такие пасы, что все только ахали в изумлении. Но «взрыв» Бориса не всегда имел, так сказать, конструктивный характер: он страстно реагировал на любую несправедливость – на грубость противника, ошибку судей, и на промах партнера...

Boris Mayorov: "Our conduct off the ice was beyond reproach, we were known for strict observance of the sporting regime. But on the ice, we time and time again got into arguments with the referees. No doubt, we went out of our way to strike back to any injustice. In one word, almost every match gave reason to talk about the shortcomings of the character building at Spartak Moscow. (...) We paid a high price for this reputation. Just like someone who once commited a crime is always under special suspicion and special supervision by the police, we constantly felt the suspicious glance of the referees. (...) Once we were about to start playing against Lokomotiv Moscow at the Luzhniki Stadium. Before opening the game, the referee pulls up to our coach Vsevolod Bobrov and says: 'Let me warn you, the slightest violation by Mayorov will be met with strict punishment.'"
Наше поведение за пределами поля не вызывало нареканий — мы были известны спартанским отношением к режиму. Но на площадке мы то и дело вступали в перепалку с судьями, обязательно норовили дать сдачи обидчику. Но на площадке мы то и дело вступали в перепалку с судьями, обязательно норовили дать сдачи обидчику, словом, едва ли не в каждом матче давали повод для разговора о том, что воспитательная работа поставлена в «Спартаке» плохо. (...) Мы расплачивались за свою репутацию очень дорогой ценой. Как старые рецидивисты всегда на особом подозрении и под особым надзором милиции, так и мы постоянно чувствовали на себе подозрительный взгляд хоккейного судьи. (...) Начинается наш матч с «Локомотивом» в Лужниках. Перед тем как дать свисток на игру, судья подъезжает к нашему тренеру В. М. Боброву и говорит: — Предупреждаю, что за малейшее нарушение буду наказывать Майорова особенно строго.

Anatoly Tarasov (1974): "He was too hot-tempered and proud to concede anything to anybody, including the referees. Even though Boris was not sent off frequently, he never seemed to agree with their decisions."
Был азартен и самолюбив – уступать ни в чем не хотел никому. В том числе и арбитрам – хоть удаляли Бориса довольно редко, но, по-моему, ни разу в жизни он с их решением не согласился.

Captaincy:

Boris Mayorov served as captain of Spartak Moscow from 1960 to 1968. When Konstantin Loktev was suspended from the Soviet national team in December 1962, Mayorov was also made captain of the national team:

Boris Mayorov: "I was captain of Spartak Moscow for eight seasons. You can't imagine how proud I was to become that as a result of a secret ballot where my candidacy, one out of several candidacies, won the absolute majority. I'm not going to lie: when I was elected captain of the national team in December 1962 I did not feel equally happy. Yes, I was elected, but I was the only candidate and I ran 'on recommendation of the coaches'."
Восемь сезонов без нескольких дней был я капитаном «Спартака». Вы даже не представляете себе, как гордился я, став им в результате тайного голосования, где моя кандидатура, одна из нескольких выдвинутых, получила абсолютное большинство. Не буду кривить душой: когда в декабре 1962 года меня избрали капитаном сборной, я не чувствовал себя таким же счастливым. Правда, голосование было и тут, но моя кандидатура была единственной и баллотировалась «по рекомендации тренеров». Да и занял я место Кости Локтева, который был настоящим капитаном — самым опытным и мудрым игроком сборной.

In 1965 or 1966 he was stripped of the captaincy of the national team after he had caused bad press with an incident where he had almost gotten into a fight with a fan at a soccer match (Mayorov also played soccer for Spartak). Viktor Kuzkin replaced him, but when Kuzkin was suspended for an off-ice incident himself (November 1966), a team voting was held:

Boris Mayorov: "There was a team meeting, but this time the coaches just said: 'We're leaving, we won't bother you, but you choose a captain among yourselves now.' There were two candidates: a CSKA player and me. The vote was public. We, the two candidates for the captaincy, voted for each other. And I was all the more proud and happy to become captain since the majority of the voters were CSKA players."
Опять было собрание, но на этот раз тренеры сказали просто: — Мы уходим, не будем вам мешать, а вы тут сами выбирайте капитана. Кандидатов оказалось два — игрок ЦСКА и я. Голосовали открыто. Разумеется, мы, претенденты на капитанский жезл, голосовали друг за друга. И я был тем более горд и счастлив, став капитаном, что большинство участников голосования представляли команду ЦСКА.

Mayorov served as captain of the Soviet national team for another two years.

On his temperament not being an issue in international play:

Boris Mayorov: "First of all, the root of my issues at home were some kind of internal laxity. But when I played for the national team I managed to pull myself together since the consequences would have been too grave. Second, to the foreign referees I was a player like anyone else, not the notorious Mayorov whose name always came up at the meetings of the Sports Technical Commission. And third, most of the foreign referees didn't understand the Russian language so that I couldn't get into the verbal altercations that cost me so dearly at home."
Во-первых, первопричиной «домашних» нарушений была какая-то внутренняя распущенность, а играя за сборную, я умел взять себя в руки, ибо отчетливо представлял себе размеры последствий, которыми грозит команде мое удаление с поля. Во-вторых, для иностранных судей я был игрок как все, а не тот самый Майоров, чье имя вечно склоняют на заседаниях СТК. Ну и в-третьих, иностранцы в большинстве своем не знают русского языка, и словесные дуэли с судьями, которые обычно стоили мне так дорого дома, были в данном случае невозможны.

As captain of the national team:

Viktor Konovalenko: "We could rely on him to go and challenge mistakes we felt the coaches had made if we thought it was necessary."
Знали, что он, если потребуется, если это будет необходимо команде, пойдет и у тренеров оспаривать какое-то, на наш взгляд, неверное решение.

Anatoly Tarasov (1967): "He is a wonderful captain. In recent years he has matured and ironed out some negative traits of his character, which is not an easy thing to do at all. Mayorov is a real leader who can raise a team and rally it to follow along with him."
Кроме того, это прекрасный капитан. За последние годы он возмужал,
исправил некоторые отрицательные черты своего характера, а это ведь совсем нелегко.
Майоров настоящий вожак, который может поднять команду, повести ее за собой.
Note: From an interview with Tarasov in the paper Moskovskya Pravda after the 1967 World Championship. Quoted after Mayorov's book (1970).​

QUOTED LITERATURE (in order of publication date):

Anatoly Tarasov: Совершеннолетие (1968=2nd edition)
Anatoly Tarasov: Путь к себе (1974)

Last edited:

Theokritos

Global Moderator
Apr 6, 2010
YEVGENY MAYOROV (RW, *1938)

Soviet senior league:
1957-1967.

Soviet honours:
1958-59: top 20 forward
1961-62: top 20 forward
1962-63: top 20 forward
1963-64: #3 right winger
1964-65: #5 right winger

Soviet national team:
1961 World Championship, 1963 WCH, 1964 Olympics.

General comments:

Hockey handbook: "He was remarkably fast, had an accurate pass, very good vision of the ice and his partners and a wicked shot."
Обладал исключительно высокой скоростью, точным пасом, отличным видением поля и партнера, коварным броском.

Anatoly Tarasov (1971): "The line [scil. the one with Starshinov and Boris Mayorov] was complemented very well by Yevgeny Mayorov, a fast player with a high level of individual skill. Such was the strength of the trio that some thought there was no sufficient substitute for Yevgeny. Fans of Spartak Moscow and the Soviet national team were worried that no player would be able to replace him without weakening the line. But without any offence to [Yevgeny] Mayorov, I would still say that he was inferior to his outstanding linemates – which is not something to be ashamed of: Vyacheslav and Boris were just that good."
Это звено удачно дополнял быстрый, обладающий высоким индивидуальным мастерством Евгений Майоров, и сила, мощь тройки была так велика, что некоторым казалось, будто замена Евгения неправомочна. Поклонники "Спартака", да и сборной СССР, беспокоились, что любой хоккеист, введенный в звено вместо Евгения Майорова, ослабит этот маленький коллектив. Однако, не в обиду Майорову, хотел бы все-таки сказать, что он уступал в мастерстве своим выдающимся партнерам, и в этом, разумеется, не было ничего страшного или зазорного для Евгения: слишком сильны Вячеслав и Борис.

Anatoly Firsov: "Yevgeny Mayorov was a fine player in his own right, but he was still a class below Vyacheslav and Boris. He made more mistakes than his partners and I do not remember one case where they took the blame on themselves during a game. (...) Let it be particularly clear that I'm not talking about the team meetings, where the coaches discuss the performance of the lines and lecture the players on their mistakes and lack of tactical discipline, and I'm not talking about a calm match analysis where it's simple for mature players to pin down the reasons for their own mistakes. On such occasions, the leaders of the Spartak trio [scil. Starshinov and Boris Mayorov] of course recalled the tactical mistakes they had made and in this or that situation where everyone thought Yevgeny was to blame, Boris and Vyacheslav actually explained that it wasn't his fault but theirs. No, I'm not talking about that, I'm talking about the nervous and tense atmosphere during the game. If Yevgeny gave a bad pass, Boris or – more rarely – Vyacheslav started to reproach their partner. On the rink they didn't forgive him the slightest error. "
Евгений Майоров был очень хороший хоккеист, но все-таки он уступал в мастерстве, в классе и Вячеславу и Борису и, наверное, ошибался чаще, чем его партнеры, но я не припоминаю случая, чтобы спартаковские лидеры брали в ходе матча вину за неудачи тройки на себя. (...) Оговариваюсь специально, что вспоминаю я сейчас не собрания команды, где тренеры разбирают действия звеньев и отчитывают своих подопечных за промахи, за нарушения тактической дисциплины, не спокойный анализ матча, когда опытные мастера легко находят причины собственных ошибок и когда, конечно же, лидеры прекрасной спартаковской тройки вспоминали свои неверные тактические решения и объясняли тренерам, что в той или иной ситуации виноват был не Евгений, как всем показалось, а Борис или Вячеслав. Нет, нет, сейчас я говорю только об игре, о нервной, напряженной атмосфере матча, о контактах тройки на площадке. Дал Женя пас неточно, не вовремя – и тут же Борис или, реже, Слава начинали корить партнера. Они не прощали ему на площадке ни малейшей ошибки.

Leonid Goryanov: "Like Boris, he was always pumped for the attack, but he found his own tone, ways and techniques. In particular, he often crashed the net of the opponent, cutting in sharply from the boards and going around the defencemen. (...) Like Boris, Yevgeny had an unusually stormy temperament and the thing we call competitive spirit. (...) It's true, his temperament did not always do him a favour. Yevgeny was hotheaded and quarrelsome and he often started frantic disputes on and off the ice, which of course didn't help him and his team."
Как и Борис, он неизменно был заряжен на атаку, но находил в ней свою собственную тональность, свои пути и приемы. В частности, он часто таранил ворота соперников, резко срезая угол от борта и обходя на высокой скорости защитников. (...) Как и Борис, Евгений отличался необычайно бурным темпераментом и тем, что мы называем «спортивной злостью». (...) Правда, темперамент, случалось, оказывал ему и плохую услугу. Женя был вспыльчив, задирист, часто затевал отчаянные споры на площадке и за ее пределами, что, конечно же, мешало ему и команде.

Nikolay Sologubov: "Yevgeny Mayorov is pretty good at everything, but if he kept a cool head he could be much better."
Все умеет делать хорошо, добротно и Евгений Майоров, и будь он по хладнокровнее, мог бы играть намного лучше.

Anatoly Firsov: "Unfortunately, no-one can honestly say that Yevgeny himself was a more mellow and more gentle guy than his brother. On the contrary, Boris seemed much fairer and more sensible to me, and when I remember the arguments of theirs I have witnessed, I have to say that Boris was usually the one who was right."
К сожалению, никто, знающий трех этих хоккеистов, не рискнет утверждать, что Евгений был более мягким или более покладистым человеком, нежели его брат. Напротив, Борис, по моему мнению, несомненно, куда справедливее и рассудительнее, и уж коли вспоминать их конфликты, свидетелями которых мы были, то нужно сказать, что чаще всего прав был, конечно, Боря.

Boris Mayorov: "I was always on very friendly terms with Yevgeny, but don't be surprised: neither of us has ever quarreled with and cursed at anybody else – neither the referees, nor the opponents, nor the audience – as much as we did quarrel with and curse at each other. It was always about hockey. When we picked a fight, we forgot about everything and everyone else. There were instances in our hockey career that still make me blush when I remember them. (...) At the [1961] World Championship in Geneve we played against East Germany. It shaped up to be an easy match and our goal count went up fast. But our trio had only scored one goal and we failed to score another. And since all of us liked to score goals, we were ashamed the others outscored us and we weren't able to get it on. We got terribly angry at each other. As soon as we sat on the bench, we started to argue things out. Arkady Ivanovich [Chernyshov] tried to calm us down, but to no avail. Finally Yevgeny and I were starting to swing sticks at each other and god knows where it had ended, had Chernyshov not shouted: 'Come on, both of you to the locker room! Let me see no more of this!' Mad about each other, each thinking the other was to blame, we truged off to the locker room. When we were there, I was the first to come to my senses: 'That's enough, let's go back, apologize and ask for permission to play.' Yevgeny answered: 'I won't go anywhere. I have nothing to apologize for!' However, he quickly came to his senses too, and the two of us returned to the rink."
Мы с Женькой всегда очень дружили, но — не удивляйтесь — ни с кем — ни с судьями, ни с противниками, ни со зрителями — ни он, ни я не ссорились так часто, не ругались так горячо, как друг с другом. И не из-за чего-нибудь, а из-за хоккея. А уж затеяв ссору, мы забывали обо всем и обо всех. Был в нашей с ним хоккейной жизни один случай, от воспоминания о котором я и сейчас краснею. (...) На первенстве мира в Женеве мы играли против сборной ГДР. Матч складывался легко, счет быстро увеличивался. И только нашей тройке, забившей всего один гол, никак не удается добиться большего. А все мы очень любили забивать голы, всем нам обидно, что остальные нас обгоняют, а у нас игра не клеится. И мы злимся друг на друга страшно. И как только садимся на скамейку запасных, начинаем, вместо того чтобы отдыхать перед следующим выходом, выяснять отношения. Аркадий Иванович пытается нас успокоить, но безуспешно. Кончилось все это тем, что я при всем честном народе замахнулся клюшкой на Женьку, он — на меня, и бог знает, во что это вылилось бы, если бы не окрик Чернышева: — А ну, марш оба в раздевалку! И чтобы я вас тут больше не видел! Разозленные друг на друга, считая каждый другого виновным в происшедшем, мы поплелись в раздевалку. Там я опомнился первым: — Хватит, пошли обратно. Извинимся и попросим разрешения играть… — Никуда я не пойду. Мне не за что извиняться, — ответил Женька. Тут же, однако, пришел в себя и он, и мы вернулись на поле. Доиграть матч нам разрешили.

Walter Brown Memorial Tournament, December 1964:

Viktor Konovalenko: "With the 1965 World Championship in Tampere approaching, we played at the Brown Memorial in Colorado Springs. Before the decisive match against the Canadians, I felt unwell and told the coaches so. They didn't believe me. Yevgeny Mayorov also said he felt unwell. A doctor would have been able to determine our condition, but we only had our masseur L. Alekseyenko with us. What could he say? He gave us a thermometer. My temperature measured 37.8 °C. (...) I gave the thermometer to Mayorov. His temperature was low, but he refused to play."
Вспоминается случай в Колорадо-Спрингс, где мы играли в мемориале Брауна в канун чемпионата мира в Тампере, в 1965 году. Перед решающим матчем с канадцами я почувствовал недомогание. Сказал об этом на собрании – тренеры не поверили. И Женя Майоров говорит, что плохо себя чувствует. Определить наше состояние мог бы врач, но в той поездке его обязанности выполнял наш массажист – Авсеенко, Лаврыч. Но что он мог сказать? Дал градусник. Измерил я температуру – 37,8. (...) Дали градусник Майорову. У него температура была ниже, и он наотрез отказался играть.

Boris Mayorov: "As usual, our team took part in the traditional New Year tournament, the so-called Brown Memorial, which always takes place at the rink of Colorado Springs, a fancy resort in the USA. It turned out to be a very difficult tournament. (...) To win the first prize, we had to beat the Canadians. And the day before the match, both [Veniamin] Aleksandrov and my brother picked up injuries. Yevgeny's situation was further complicated by the fact that he was already suffering from a chronic and severe injury: a habitual dislocation of the shoulder joint. He had to spare that shoulder as any violent check would have put him out of action for a long time and any movement was accompanied by severe pain. And now he unfortunately injured the other shoulder. This meant that he would have had to play practically unarmed as continual bodychecking is inevitable in modern hockey, and even more so when you play against the Canadians."
Как обычно, наша команда участвовала в традиционном новогоднем турнире — так называемом мемориале Брауна, который проводится всегда на катке фешенебельного американского курорта Колорадо-Спрингс. Турнир выдался очень тяжелый. (...) Чтобы завоевать первый приз, мы обязательно должны были победить канадцев. А накануне получили довольно серьезные травмы Александров и мы с братом. Положение Женьки осложнилось тем, что он уже страдал одной тяжелой и хронической травмой — привычным вывихом плечевого сустава. При всяком резком столкновении с противником, если плечо не удавалось уберечь, Женька надолго выходил из строя, причем любое движение сопровождалось мучительной болью. А тут, как назло, он повредил другое плечо. Это означало, что на поле он должен был выйти практически безоружным: ведь в нынешнем хоккее беспрерывное силовое единоборство неизбежно, а тем более когда играешь с канадцами.

Viktor Konovalenko: "Many years later I read in a book by Boris Mayorov that Yevgeny had injured his shoulder – like so many other athletes, he suffered from a habitual dislocation. He didn't wish to play at less than full strength, but he didn't want to explain that to the team."
Много лет спустя в книге Бориса Майорова я прочитал, что у Евгения тогда болело плечо – у него, как и у многих спортсменов, был так называемый «привычный вывих». Он не любил играть не в полную силу, но объяснить это команде не захотел.

Boris Mayorov: "My brother's character was anything but tender. He was quick to fly into a rage. And then his tongue was far ahead of his thought. (...) And so it happened at the team meeting before the game against the Canadians. [Veniamin] Aleksandrov explained calmy, comprehensibly and articulately why he wasn't able to play and was absolved."
Характер у моего брата очень скверный. Он вскипает моментально. И тогда его язык намного опережает мысли. (...) Так было и на собрании команды перед тем матчем с канадцами. Александров объяснил ясно, толково и спокойно, почему он не может выйти на поле, и был освобожден.

Leonid Goryanov: "Then Yevgeny Mayorov stood up and without going into the details he said: 'I, too, can not play.' Perhaps he should have explained his condition in detail. I don't dispute it. But the fact he said it should have been sufficient, for everyone knew his passion for the game and and it's clear that no self-respecting sportsman withdraws from the fight without a good reason. But the coaches took offence at his announcement. 'You chicken out', Chernyshov said. 'You abandon your comrades in a tough minute,' Tarasov said."
Тогда поднялся Евгений Майоров и, не вдаваясь в подробности, заявил: — Я тоже не могу играть... Может быть, ему стоило объяснить свое состояние более подробно. Не спорю. Но и того, что спортсмен сказал, было достаточно: все знали его страсть к игре, и ясно было, что без весомой причины ни один уважающий себя спортсмен от борьбы не откажется. Но тренеры усмотрели в его заявлении нечто оскорбительное. — Ты увиливаешь, — сказал Чернышев. — Бросаешь товарищей в трудную минуту, — добавил Тарасов.

Boris Mayorov: "When the turn came to Yevgeny and he was demanded to play, he immediately got angry and instead of telling it like it is, he blurted out: 'There you go, I shall get publicly disgraced some more!' The coaches accused him of being selfish, of disregarding the interests of the collective and the other seven deadly sins. And he found no better way to respond than to give a rude answer and even slam the door."
А когда настала очередь Женьки и от него потребовали, чтобы он принял участие в игре, он тут же распалился и, вместо того чтобы рассказать все как есть, брякнул: — Ну вот, буду я еще перед публикой позориться!.. Тогда же, на собрании, тренеры обвинили его в эгоизме, пренебрежении интересами коллектива и прочих семи смертных грехах. А он не нашел ничего лучшего, как в ответ нагрубить, да еще и хлопнуть дверью.

Subsequently Yevgeny Mayorov was not called-up to the national team for the 1965 World Championship:

Boris Mayorov: "When the fateful message arrivated, Vyacheslav and I went to Yury Mashin, then chairman of the Central Council of the Sports Association. We told him about our qualms, asked him to talk to the coaches and to persuade them to recall Yevgeny to the national team. Mashin promised. I don't know whether he spoke with Tarasov and Chernyshov, I think he did. But the coaches always have the last word in such cases. Yevgeny stayed at home and [Anatoly] Ionov went to Tampere."
Когда эта злосчастная телефонограмма пришла в «Спартак», мы со Славкой отправились на прием к Ю. Д. Машину, тогдашнему председателю Центрального совета спортивного союза. Мы рассказали ему обо всех своих сомнениях, просили его потолковать с тренерами сборной о нашей тройке, уговорить их вернуть Женьку в сборную. Машин обещал. Не знаю, беседовал ли он с Чернышевым и Тарасовым, думаю, что да. Но в таких случаях последнее слово обычно всегда за тренерами. Женька остался дома, а в Тампере поехал Ионов.

Anatoly Tarasov (1968): "Before the World Championships in Tampere, it became clear that a vacancy had opened on the national team: Yevgeny Mayorov wasn't able to be part of the squad. While all his teammates were continuously improving their skills, becoming more confident and reliable with each passing year, Yevgeny had not grown as a hockey player. He had always been much weaker than his linemates, but we resigned ourselves to his place as there was no suitable replacement. But eventually others caught up to Yevgeny. Additionally, and this is very important, the nature of our game had changed: our style demanded that each athlete be a fighter. Yevgeny simply didn't have the necessary strength and endurance."
Перед началом первенства мира по хоккею, которое проходило в небольшом финском городке Тампере, стало ясно, что в сборной открылась вакансия: Евгений Майоров не может выступать в ее составе. В то время как всё его товарищи, непрерывно совершенствуя свое мастерство, с каждым годом играли все надежнее и увереннее, Евгений не рос как хоккеист. Он и раньше был значительно слабее своих партнеров по звену, но мы вынуждены были мириться с этим: не было более сильной замены. Но вот несколько хоккеистов по классу своей игры «достали» Евгения. Кроме того, и это очень важно, изменился характер нашей игры: современный хоккей требует, чтобы каждой спортсмен был бойцом. А Евгению не всегда, хватало силенки и выдержки.

Nikolay Sologubov: "There were various reasons, but fact of the matter is that Boris Mayorov and Vyacheslav Starshinov left Yevgeny far behind in skill and he lost his spot on the squad."
Дело в том, что по разным причинам, но все же и Борис Майоров, и Вячеслав Старшинов ушли в своем мастерстве намного вперед Евгения, и он стал выпадать из ансамбля.

Boris Mayorov: "Now one can say: 'What about Canada? He already played rather bad there [scil. before the Brown Memorial], so he lost his roster spot.' Well, what can I counter that will not make recourse to the stopwatch or the metric tape? And yet, I still maintain that my brother's destiny was decided for non-hockey seasons. For starters, he was not the first player who had to say goodbye to the national team either temporarily or permanently, but no-one has ever been sent packing as unceremoniously as Yevgeny, neither before nor afterwards. Even the most hopeless player is always invited to the coaches and given a pep talk. 'We don't say goodbye to you for good. You try, train and work and the way back isn't closed for you.' For example, Vladimir Brezhnev left the national team quite a few times and often returned. To Yevgeny, not a word was said."
Могут теперь сказать и так: «А при чем тут Канада? Стал хуже играть, вот его и отчислили». Что тут возразишь? Тут ведь не прибегнешь в споре к рулетке или секундомеру. И все же я настаиваю на своем: судьбу моего брата решили соображения не деловые. Во-первых, Женька не первый, кому пришлось на время или насовсем прощаться со сборной, но никого и никогда ни до, ни после него не выпроваживали так бесцеремонно. Игрока, даже самого безнадежного, обязательно приглашали к себе тренеры и вели с ним напутственную беседу. Мы, мол, прощаемся с тобой не насовсем, ты старайся, тренируйся, работай, и путь обратно тебе не заказан. Между прочим, Владимир Брежнев и на самом деле не раз уходил и не раз возвращался в сборную. Женьке не сказали ни слова.

Afterwards, Yevgeny Mayorov played two more seasons for Spartak Moscow. He retired in 1967.

Boris Mayorov: "We continued to play for the national team, adding gold medal after gold medal to our collection and basking in the gentle embrace of fame, while Yevgeny, feeling he was no worse than before und continuing to play with us for Spartak Moscow, had to step aside when it was time for the international tournaments."
Мы продолжали играть в сборной, каждый год пополняя свои коллекции золотых медалей и нежась в ласковых объятиях славы, а Женька, чувствуя себя ничем не хуже и продолжая играть вместе с нами в «Спартаке», должен был на время мировых чемпионатов и международных турниров отходить в сторону.

Vyacheslav Starshinov: "We had to realize that his bitter resentment prevented Yevgeny from an accurate evaluation of the events. We were in this difficult crisis together with him, but his troubled and antagonistic character made him decide to fight for his recognition on his own, without us. Our help seemed to offend him. (...) Yevgeny stubbornly moved away from us, isolating himself, first in opposition to us, then to the whole team."
Он ушел рано, ему не было и тридцати. Сказалась и старая травма, которая с годами давала знать о себе все сильнее. Но не последнюю роль сыграло и уязвленное самолюбие. Мы понимали, что горькая обида мешает Евгению правильно оценивать происходящее. Мы вместе с ним трудно переживали кризис... Но это был уже сложившийся сложный, противоречивый характер... Он решил бороться за признание сам, без нас. Ему казалась обидной и наша помощь. (...) И Женя упорно отдалялся от нас, замыкаясь в себе, противопоставляя себя сначала нам, а потом уже и всей команде...

Boris Mayorov: "He retired early, before he even turned 30. He spoke of an old injury which made itself felt more and more over the years. But his wounded pride didn't play a small role either."
Он ушел рано, ему не было и тридцати. Сказалась и старая травма, которая с годами давала знать о себе все сильнее. Но не последнюю роль сыграло и уязвленное самолюбие.

QUOTED LITERATURE:

Arkady Komarov (editor): Хоккей. Справочник. ("Hockey handbook", 1977)

Last edited:

Theokritos

Global Moderator
Apr 6, 2010
VYACHESLAV STARSHINOV (C, *1940)

Soviet senior league:
1957-1972 (plus comebacks in 1974-75 and 1978-79).

Soviet national team:
1961 WCh, 1963 WCh, 1964 Olympics, 1965 WCh, 1966 WCh, 1967 WCh, 1968 Olympics, 1969 WCh, 1970 WCh, 1971 WCh.

Soviet honours:
1958-59: top 20 forward
1959-60: top 16 forward
1961-62: top 20 forward
1962-63: top 20 forward, All-star
1963-64: #1 center, All-star
1964-65: #1 center, All-star
1965-66: #1 center, All-star
1966-67: #1 center, All-star
1967-68: #1 center, All-star, 2nd in Best Player voting
1968-69: #1 center, All-star, 3rd in Best Player voting
1969-70: top 7 center, All-star, 3rd in Best Player voting
1970-71: top 7 center, 9th in Best Player voting

International honours:
1965 WCh Best Forward.

General comments on his game:

Anatoly Tarasov (1987): "He was quiet, with massive shoulders - reserved and a bit clumsy - but Vyacheslav changed when he took the ice, became angry and ruthless – both to his opponents and to himself. He was filled with an unbending will to win, not only in games, but also in practices. In battles in front of the opposing goal, he was unstoppable. The Canadians always believed that they could closely 'check' opposing forwards with their own, and did not wish to admit that they could do nothing with Starshinov. With the sturdiness of a tree trunk, strong on his skates, Vyacheslav never hid his intentions – moved straight towards the goal and challenged his opponents to stop him. The effect of this directness on defenders was like that of a boa constrictor on a rabbit. (...) This outstanding player possessed an incredible amount of strength, and an unshakable desire to achieve glory for himself and his team. Starshinov's dependability would be the envy of even the great masters of hockey - he played practically without injury, without missing a game, from his youth to the end of his storied career."

Note: I used the existing translation provided by Sturminator.
В жизни богатырь – широченнейший в плечах и спокойный, внешне чуть неуклюжий, на льду Вячеслав преображался. Становился злым, беспощадным – и к сопернику и к себе, поражал неуемной силушкой, желанием во всем быть первым. Причем не только в матчах, но и на тренировках. В сражениях перед воротами соперника был неудержим. Уж на что канадцы, казалось, умеют чужих форвардов и близко к своему «пятачку» не подпускать, а со Старшиновым и они ничего поделать не могли. С железным хватом клюшки, крепко стоящий на ногах Вячеслав своих намерений никогда не скрывал – бросал сопернику открытый вызов и рвался к цели по прямой. И этой своей прямотой действовал на защитников, как удав на кролика. (...) У этого выдающегося игрока был необычайный запас прочности в силе, в напоре, в непреклонном желании добиться желаемого и прославить себя и команду. А стабильности Старшинова могли позавидовать и самые именитые мастера – он играл практически без срывов. И в молодости, и к концу своего верного служения хоккею.

Nikolay Sologubov: "Somewhat inferior to Boris Mayorov in regards to flashy individual skills (but only really in the early days) was Vyacheslav Starshinov, a player with extraordinary stamina and capacity for work and great tactical prowess. Starshinov is incredibly bold and his strong shot has earned him the reputation of being one of the most productive forwards in our hockey."
Несколько уступал Борису Майорову (впрочем, разве что на первых порах) в блеске индивидуального мастерства Вячеслав Старшинов, хоккеист удивительной работоспособности, выносливости и большого тактического мастерства. Старшинов беспредельно смел, а сильнейшие броски снискали ему славу одного из самых результативных форвардов нашего хоккея.

Vadim Krivenko, Novosti Press Agency (1967):
"The most fearless chap on the [national] squad, possesses tremendous stamina, operates efficiently everywhere on the ice."

Anatoly Tarasov (1971): "Starshinov is a passionate player with a great range of activity. He has the hug of a bear, his physical strength would be enough for three. Now, if you consider his strength it would seem as if he didn't even need much technical skills on top of it, but Starshinov is actually a very skilled player, although he doesn't catch one's eye immediately. His talent is not apparent right away, you need to watch him in action to recognize it. (...) Vyacheslav possesses the highest level of technical skills: His handling of the puck is technically excellent, he has a wide vision, a great pass and a phenomenally strong and accurate shot that he makes use of from almost anywhere. He has a good awareness of the rink and makes the best decision in the most difficult and dramatic situation. But on top of it he still maintains his trump card: his extraordinary strength and self-confidence. He reminds me of a cruiser, steadily cutting its way through the waves of the sea. (...) Again, Vyacheslav's technique is very peculiar. Sometimes I wonder how he manages to get past one opponent after the other. He doesn't use any distinguished dekes. And yet, when you try to stop him, you recognize he has a firm grip on the puck, even though it doesn't look like anything you're used to."
Старшинов - игрок с большим диапазоном действий, страстный, с медвежьей хваткой, физической силы у него хватает на троих. Казалось бы, с такой силищей ему уже и не очень нужна техника. Но Вячеслав - хоккеист высокотехничный. И что интересно - в глаза ои бросается не сразу: талант Старшинова сразу не распознаешь, его нужно увидеть в настоящем бою. (...) Вячеслав обладает высоким, самым высоким техническим мастерством: он отлично владеет техникой ведения шайбы, у него широкая ориентировка, великолепный пас и феноменальный по силе и точности бросок, причем бросает он по воротам практически из любого положения. Он хорошо ориентируется на площадке, находит наиболее верное решение в самой сложной, драматической ситуации, но все-таки главный его козырь - необыкновенная силища, уверенность в себе. Он напоминает мне крейсер, уверенно разрезающий морские волны. (...) Повторяю, техника Вячеслава крайне своеобразна. Порой я даже удивляюсь: как это он умудряется обходить одного соперника за другим, если практически не использует никаких особых финтов. Однако попробуйте остановить этого замечательного мастера, в вы убедитесь, что его обводка очень надежна и... не похожа ни на что привычное.

Viktor Konovalenko: "His talent was undeniable. God-given. On the ice he was a battering ram, crushing everyone and everything. And if he didn't put the puck in the net himself, he still came up with an accurate pass."
Он был талантлив, факт. Хоккеист от бога. На площадке – таран, сомнет всех и вся. И если сам не забьет, то уж пас-то отдаст точно.

Anatoly Tarasov (1968): "Vyacheslav Starshinov's courage is also unique. In this department he really shone in the last two seasons, when he started playing right in front of the net, instead of at long range. For it is in this 'kill zone' in front of the net where the toughest battles are fought, where the defense is especially hard-hitting, that Starshinov most fully displays his qualities as a fighter. In the last and most crucial game of the 1966 World Championship tournament, when the USSR played Czechoslovakia, Starshinov was the sparkplug of the team and did the hat trick in the first 4 minutes of the game! Playing farther away from the enemy net, Starshinov spent up to 2 and 3 minutes on the ice before being replaced. Now, when he plays in the 'hotspot' in front of the enemy net, Starshinov gets his fill in a minute. He began to play better and brought more goals for his team."

Note: I used the existing English translation from "Road to Olympus".
Своеобразно мужество и Вячеслава Старшинова. И особенно засверкала эта его грань таланта в последних двух сезонах, когда он стал играть не на дальнем, как прежде, а на ближнем пятачке. Именно здесь, у ворот соперника, где вскипают самые яростные схватки, где защитники особенно жестки. Старшинову удается наиболее полно проявлять лучшие бойцовские качества своего характера. В заключительном и самом ответственном матче чемпионата мира 1966 года СССР – Чехословакия Старшинов был душой команды и в первые четыре минуты матча забросил две из трех шайб, по существу решивших исход матча. Играя вдали от чужих ворот, Старшинов проводил на поле без замены по дветри минуты. Сейчас, находясь на самом горячем месте, он «наигрывается» за минуту. Больше, полнее стала его отдача игре, большую пользу стал приносить он своему коллективу.

Anatoly Tarasov (1987): "The quality of Starshinov pushed us, the coaching staff of the national team, to consider what could be done to expand his role on the team. At Spartak, he often fired goals from some distance. We suggested that he start trying to finish in tight, closer to the goalkeeper. And in this way, in combination with his quick and decisive stick-work, Starshinov became a thunder-storm for opposing goalkeepers."

Note: Again made use of the existing translation provided by Sturminator.
Эти качества Старшинова натолкнули нас, тренеров сборной, на мысль о том, что амплуа Вячеслава следует расширить. В Â«Спартаке» в завершающей фазе атаки он действовал с дальних позиций, со страховкой, мы же предложили ему идти на добивание, создавать помехи вратарю. И такая манера в сочетании с внезапными и хлесткими бросками-ударами силищи необыкновенной сделала Старшинова грозой для вратарей.

David Bauer (1968): "Both [scil. the Soviets and the NHLers] have their own qualities. It would be difficult for the players to play on the team of the opponent. In my opinion the only Soviet players who wouldn't be at loss [when switching to an NHL team] would be Firsov and Starshinov."
У каждого есть свои хорошие качества. Тяжело было бы хоккеистам играть в команде соперников. На мой взгляд, из советских хоккеистов лишь Фярсов и Старшинов не растерялись бы.

Physical game:

Anatoly Tarasov (1971): "The passion that distinguished Starshinov from all of his peers (and not only among the Soviets) over many years is his passion for the physical game. He loved to get involved in the battle, reveal all of his gigantic strength and have a fight within the boundary of the rules. (...) The opponents obstructed him, tortured him and pushed him away from the goal, but he didn't back down. He didn't wait for the opponent to give him a quarter, what he desired was to score a goal and he didn't retreat from that target. In this regard Starshinov compares favourably with Almetov, although Almetov had a clear advantage over him when it came to elegance, finesse and surprising ideas. Starshinov didn't hide what he was on to, but he acted with such power and skill that no counter-measure could save the opponent."
Страсть, которая выгодно отличает Вячеслава уже долгие годы от всех его коллег, и не только советских,- страсть к единоборству. Он любит ввязаться в борьбу, сполна показать свою гигантскую силу, любит подраться в рамках правил. (...) Соперники мешали ему, терзали его, увозили, отталкивали от ворот, а он все-таки добивался своего. Он не ждал от соперника пощады, но у него была желанная и манящая цель - взятие ворот, и он от нее не отступался. В этом плане Старшинов выгодно отличался от Альметова, хотя Александр имел несомненное преимущество перед Вячеславом в изящности, тонкости и внезапности своих игровых решений. Старшинов все делал открыто, но с такой мощью и с таким искусством, что никакие контрмеры не спасали соперников.

Boris Mayorov (1971): "I can't for the life of me imagine Starshinov's game without his physical play. He batters down any defence."
Вообще я не представляю игру Старшинова без силовой борьбы. Таранит любую защиту.

Aleksandr Ragulin: "Playing against pure finesse forwards is easier for me. The guy wants to deke – so let him deke. I keep him in check. The next time I won't miss his move... Slava is more difficult to play against. He throws himself right into the battle. And then it looks as if he has lost the puck. But no, somehow he picks it out and gets it on goal."
С "хитрыми" нападающими мне полегче. Он финтит — пускай себе финтит. Я слежу за ним. Тут лишь бы не прозевать его следующий ход... Со Славой труднее. Он сам лезет в борьбу. Вот уж кажется, все — проиграл он ситуацию. Нет, вывернется как-то шайбу выковырнет и — к воротам.

Anatoly Tarasov (1987): "With the possible exception of Viktor Yakushev – there was never before and has never been since a center who was able to win physical battles against opponents of great strength as Starshinov could."

Note: Used the existing translation provided by Sturminator.
Пожалуй, не было – возможно, за исключением Виктора Якушева – прежде, нет и сейчас у нас такого другого центрфорварда, который умел бы с таким огромным желанием и сноровкой, как Вячеслав, выполнять задания по нейтрализации сильных игроков соперников.

Yevgeny Zimin (2018): "His strength was enormous. Picture the following scene: he skates towards the goal, stick in the right hand, moving the puck – and a defenceman hangs on his back. The guy was big and heavier than Starshinov and laid right into him. And still he scored!"
Силища у него колоссальная. Картина перед глазами: выкатывается на ворота, в правой руке клюшка, шайбу держит – а защитник на спине висит. Здоровенный, тяжелее Славки, прямо навалился. А тот все равно забивает!

Playmaking:

Jack McLeod (1968): "The Soviet players pass around a lot. Almetov and Starshinov are true kings of the pass."
Советские хоккеисты делают очень много передач. Альметов и Старшинов - подлинные короли паса.

Anatoly Tarasov (1971): "Remember the way Vyacheslav Starshinov or Veniamin Aleksandrov played. They saw the whole ice: what was going on ahead and what was going on at the side. That's why it was easy to play with them."
Вспомните манеру игры Вячеслава Старшинова или Вениамина Александрова. Они видят все поле-и то, что. происходит впереди, и то, что рядом или на краю площадки. Вот почему с ними легко играть.

Anatoly Firsov: "In the last match against Sweden [at the 1970 Izvestia Cup], our team went in with a makeshift first line: Right wing Vladimir Vikulov, center forward Vyacheslav Starshinov [instead of Viktor Polupanov] and I was the left wing. (...) I scored two goals after excellent passes by Starshinov that were both remarkably similar and after the game my friends wanted to know when I had trained these simple combinations with Slava. 'There wasn't enough time after the team workout', they wondered. Actually we didn't train together at all."
На последний матч против сборной Швеции первое звено нашей команды вышло в неожиданном составе: справа – Володя Викулов, центральный нападающий – Вячеслав Старшинов и слева – я. (...) Две шайбы я провел после превосходных передач Старшинова, пасы эти были удивительно схожи, и по окончании матча мои друзья интересовались, когда же успели мы со Славой отрепетировать эту незамысловатую комбинацию, – «ведь одной тренировки недостаточно!». Не было ни одной совместной тренировки.

Anatoly Tarasov (1971): "His remarkable selflessness enables Vyacheslav to always feed his partners with excellent passes, although he can and will also shoot from the most difficult positions."
Удивительная человеческая добропорядочность позволяет Вячеславу всегда отлично "питать" партнеров, но он умеет и сам забрасывать шайбы из самых сложных положений. Часто - решающие шайбы.

Viktor Konovalenko: "Towards the end of his playing career in the [late] 1960s, he couldn't keep up with his younger linemates anymore. But the passes he set them up with were such that it was a shame if they didn't score."
В конце своей спортивной карьеры он не поспевал, как в шестидесятые годы, за молодыми партнерами. Зато снабжал их такими передачами, после которых стыдно было не забить гол.

Two-way game:

Anatoly Tarasov (1971): "He's always involved in the defence. Whenever Spartak Moscow or the Soviet national team are defending, Vyacheslav can always be found in his own end, near the goal. I can't remember any case where Starshinov failed to catch up with the opponent or to block the shot by throwing himself in front of the puck."
Он постоянно участвует в обороне. Если спартаковцы или сборная СССР защищаются, Вячеслав всегда сзади, у своих ворот. Не помню случая, чтобы Стар-шинов не догнал соперника, не подставил себя под хлесткий бросок, не пожертвовал собой, чтобы ликвидировать опасность, отобрать шайбу.

Arkady Chernyshov: "He is an organizer and leader: the first to attack, the first to defend."
Он организатор, вожак — первый в атаке, первый в защите.

Anatoly Firsov: "Now, let's remember, how often have you seen Vyacheslav take a gamble ahead of the goal of the opponent? Try to remember. You struggle? Of course, for as often as Slava attacked the opponent's goal and slot, he never for a moment forgot that he was a center forward, that he wasn't allowed to get carried away, that in case the puck was lost he had to get back in position in time."
Ну-ка вспомните, часто ли видели вы в матчах «Спартака», как Вячеслав играет за воротами соперника? Попробуйте, попробуйте вспомнить! Трудно? Конечно, ибо Слава чаще всего атакует ворота противника с пятачка, ни на секунду при этом не забывая, что он центрфорвард, что ему нельзя увлекаться, что он в случае неудачи, потери шайбы должен успеть вернуться в оборону.

Anatoly Tarasov (1971): "The Spartak line was not only dangerous in attack but also great on defence, thanks to the special talent of Starshinov. (...) Some even said Starshinov is a universal player. They said he could be used as a defenceman. No! Vyacheslav is an exemplary center forward with a very accomplished defensive game, that's what he is."
Спартаковское звено умело не только искусно атаковать, но и, благодаря особому таланту Старшинова, великолепно обороняться. (...) Говорят, Старшинов универсал. Говорят, что он мог бы сыграть и защитником. Нет! Вячеслав - типичный центральный нападающий, у которого очень сильно развиты навыки игры в обороне.

Arkady Chernyshov: "It's for good reasons that Starshinov is on the ice whenever we are short-handed."
Недаром Старшинов выходит на поле всякий раз, когда мы остаемся в меньшинстве.

Andrei Starostin on a 3-against-5 situation:
"In spring 1962 there was a memorable match against CSKA after which a not yet fully fledged Spartak team unexpectedly became champions of our country. Against five Army players, there was a legendary self-sacrificing defence and the soul of the defence in those dramatic minutes was Slava Starshinov."
Note: Starostin was a prominent soccer and bandy player for Spartak Moscow in the 1920s and 1930s. After WW2, he also followed the exploits of the Spartak hockey team.
Ставшая легендой самоотверженная защита втроем против пятерых армейцев весной 1962 года в памятном матче, после которого совсем еще не оперившиеся спартаковцы совершенно неожиданно стали чемпионами страны. Душой обороны в эти драматические минуты был Слава Старшинов.

Anatoly Tarasov (1974): "Since the retirement of Vyacheslav Starshinov our hockey is lacking a center forward or halfback who combines the handling of the vast dirty work – including the accurate execution of defensive tasks – with the ability to attack most pointedly. [Vladimir] Petrov is probably the closest thing we have to the Spartak forward, but he lacks the mass and physical strength to scare the opponent."

С уходом из хоккея Вячеслава Старшинова у нас не стало центрального нападающего — хавбека, в котором уживались бы объемные черновые действия, в том числе четкое исполнение защитных функций, с умением атаковать максимально остро. Петров стоит, пожалуй, ближе всех к спартаковскому форварду, но армейцу недостает массы и физической силы, которой можно было бы попугать соперника.

Vyacheslav Starshinov on learning defensive play: "We learned the art of defending in the senior team, each of us realizing in his own way the need to improve as hockey changed and became more sophisticated. For example, in order to use active pressure or the tactic of power pressure, all forwards must be able to defend. But that's something we didn't learn in our youth, so we didn't have any settled skills. Our thirst for the game made up for it."
Мы учились искусству защищаться уже в команде мастеров, каждый по-своему осознав необходимость двигаться вперед вместе с изменяющимся и усложняющимся хоккеем. Ведь, скажем, чтобы применять активный прессинг или тактику силового давления, все нападающие должны уметь защищаться. Но в юности мы этому не учились, поэтому закрепленных навыков у нас не было, это компенсировалось жаждой игры.

Vyacheslav Starshinov on early lessons on penalty killing: "Boris Mayorov vigilantly noticed my mistake in defence, especially when playing shorthanded. He would shout: 'Do not move! Stay in front of the opponent!'. I often took the wrong position, or rather, acted too risky. I went after the opponent who had the puck in the hope that he would be embarrassed, startled, that he would make a mistake and I would be able to intercept or win the puck. But this did not always work out."
Он зорко замечал мои ошибки в защите, особенно при игре в «меньшинстве», и вовремя подсказывал мне: «Не смещайся!.. Стой перед ним» (перед соперником, разумеется). Я часто занимал неверную позицию, вернее, действовал слишком рискованно. Я шел на владеющего шайбой соперника в надежде, что он смутится, оробеет, ошибется и я сумею перехватить или отобрать шайбу. Но это отнюдь не всегда получалось...

Attitude:

Arkady Chernyshov: "Starshinov can be relied on. He's one of the very few who doesn't have to be told to train, observe the sporting regime and play."
И, конечно же, Старшинов надежен. Один из немногих, кого не надо заставлять тренироваться, соблюдать режим, играть.

Anatoly Tarasov (1987): "Vyacheslav loved to train, and his training was constant and severe. I cannot remember that Starshinov even once complained of excessive weight or difficulty in team training exercises. And in games – in basketball by hockey rules or in soccer, which we let the hockey team play as a reward - there was almost no equal to Vyacheslav. We, the trainers, held him up as an example to others."

Note: Used the existing translation from the post by Sturminator once again.
Вячеслав очень любил сложные и объемные тренировки. Не припомню, чтобы Старшинов хоть раз пожаловался на чрезмерную тяжесть или сложность нагрузок. А уж в играх – в баскетболе по хоккейным правилам, в футболе, которые мы давали хоккеистам в занятиях «на сладкое», Вячеславу почти не было равных. Мы, тренеры, на его примере учили других.

Boris Mayorov (1971): "Slava is never satisfied with his own performance and when a game really doesn't go well, he is capable of stepping up. He's always at his best when it's crunch time."
Слава всегда неудовлетворен своей игрой. А когда игра действительно не идет, умеет быть выше обстоятельств. И к решающему турниру всегде готов лучше всех...

Arkady Chernyshov: "He's a courageous and fearless player. When he took a puck to the head and had his cheek cut open at the 1969 World Championship in Stockholm, the doctors told him not to play, but he still begged us coaches to let him on the ice. And he played great when it mattered most. And [in 1967] at the Vienna World Championship? Our players were having a hard time playing against Canadian defenceman Carl Brewer and Slava asked Tarasov and me to let him play against Brewer. He didn't know what the outcome of their duel would be, but in order to stand up for his team he was ready to take the challenge."
Смелый и мужественный хоккеист. Когда в 1969 году в Стокгольмько ему шайбой рассекли щеку и врачи запретили играть, он все же упросил нас, тренеров, выпустить его на лед. И в критический момент сыграл здорово. А в Вене? Нашим игрокам очень насолил тогда канадская защитник Карл Бровер. И как Слава просил меня и Тарасова разрешить ему "поиграть" против Бревера. Он не знал, чем кончится их поединок, но горел желанием постоять за команду, сознательно шел на риск.

Anatoli Firsov (1968): "Slava has work ethic and courage in spades. In difficult times he has more than once infected us with his enthusiam."
У Славы трудолюбия и мужества хоть отбавляй. В трудные минуты он не раз заражал нас своим энтузиазмом.

Andrei Starostin: "I remember Slava enduring defeats, sometimes cruel and crushing defeats. But I don't remember him ever surrendering."
Я помню Славу терпевшим поражения, порой поражения жестокие, сокрушительные. Но я ие помию Старшинова сдавшимся.

Temperament and discipline:

Anatoly Tarasov (1968): "Sometimes they say that Starshinov is quite an undisciplined player. That is both right and wrong. When playing for his club team, it is true that Starshinov sometimes takes a quaint attitude towards the rules and can interpret them quite freely. In fact, he simply plays rough. But when he plays for the USSR National team, Starshinov transforms into an absolutely different man. He knows how high the requirements are, and he knows the price the team will have to pay if he is penalized. That is why he plays a clean game, without losing control of himself, without acting up. Therefore, it is not surprising that in all the games of the 1965 World Hockey Championship he had only one two-minute penalty."

Note: I used the existing English translation from "Road to Olympus" (1969), but made some corrections.
Иногда говорят и пишут, что Старшинов – игрок совершенно недисциплинированный. Это и так и не так. Действительно, играя в клубной команде, Старшинов порой позволяет себе слишком уж вольно трактовать существующие правила, иногда попросту грубит. Но тот же Старшинов, выступая за сборную команду страны, совершенно преображается. Там к нему предъявляют высокие требования, он прекрасно знает цену удаления и потому действует на поле корректно, не теряя контроля над собой. Не удивительно, что во время розыгрыша первенства мира по хоккею 1965 года он за все игры был лишь однажды удален с поля на две минуты, как говорится, «по собственной инициативе».

Boris Mayorov (1970): "Starshinov was always a much more relaxed guy than we [scil. the Mayorov brothers] were. Perhaps you could even classify him as phlegmatic. It's not that he was indifferent to the referees' sanctions or remained silent. But while the rest of us yelled so that the entire arena could hear us, he only mumbled to himself and no-one could make out whether he was bad-mouthing the referees or he was dissatisfied with himself or he was complaining about the quarrelsome temper of us, his linemates. Yet the reputation of the whole trio cast its shadow on Starshinov too and he also became subject to the sermons of the press and the Sports Technical Commission."
На самом же деле Старшинов всегда был человеком куда более спокойным, чем мы. Его можно даже, пожалуй, отнести к категории флегматиков. Не то чтобы он равнодушно относился к судейским «репрессиям» или молчал на площадке, но такая уж у Старшинова манера: все, что мы кричали на весь стадион, он бубнил себе под нос, и никто не мог разобрать, то ли он действительно ругает судей, то ли недоволен собой, то ли осуждает за вздорный нрав нас, своих партнеров. И все же тень всей тройки с ее репутацией падала и на Старшинова, и ему не реже нашего приходилось выслушивать нотации прессы и членов спортивно-технической комиссии.

In the fall of 1968, Starshinov was voted captain of the Soviet national team by the players.

Boris Mayorov: "On the ice he's able to move mountains and perform miracles, but to say the right words at the right time is not his part. He isn't good at encouraging others."
В моих ушах до сих пор монотонный голос Славки Старшинова, капитана сборной. Сам он способен своротить горы и совершить на площадке любое чудо, но сказать в нужный момент нужные слова — это не по его части. Подбадривать других он не умеет.

QUOTED LITERATURE (in order of publication date):
Anatoli Firsov: interview in Футбол Хоккей (May 6th 1968)
Anatoli Tarasov: Совершеннолетие (1968=2nd edition)
Anatoli Tarasov: Хоккей грядущего (1971=2nd edition)
Anatoli Firsov: Зажечь победы свет (1973)
Vyacheslav Starshinov: Чистое время (1981)
Anatoli Tarasov: Настоящие мужчины хоккея (1987)

Notes:
Arkadi Chernyshov and Aleksandr Ragulin quoted after Starshinov (1971).
Jack McLeod and David Bauer quoted after Tarasov (1971). The original Czechoslovak source (an interview McLeod and Bauer gave to sports journalist Ladislav Krnáč) is not available to me.
Andrei Starostin quotes from the foreward to Starshinov (1981).

Last edited:

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
This is nothing too earth shattering, but a few things from over the course of 25 years that talk about the soviets and how they relate to Canadian hockey. No time to transcribe right now, but here are the pics:

2017-02-17%2022.53.23.jpg

2017-02-17%2022.53.34.jpg

2017-02-17%2022.54.41.jpg

2017-02-17%2023.04.12.jpg

2017-02-17%2023.04.41.jpg

2017-02-17%2022.58.50.jpg

Batis

Sep 17, 2014
Merida, Mexico
Some great information posted in this thread lately.

Boris Mayorov: "Together we kept the puck in the offensive zone for a prolonged time with endless quick movements of all three of us around the goal and in the corners of the rink. Later someone came up with a good name for it: 'Spartak Carousel'. How this style was born? Honestly, I don't know. We never practiced or planned our combinations in advance."

Nikolay Sologubov: "Boris Mayorov particularly is a master at holding the puck in the corners of the rink, from where he usually gives a sharp and precise pass to Vyacheslav Starshinov."

These two quotes describes the way that Boris Mayorov and Vyacheslav Starshinov combined to create offence very well in my opinion based on the full games that I have watched. Here are their scoring plays from these games.

Lets start with the only game that I have watched with the entire line (Mayorov-Starshinov-Mayorov) the USSR-Canada game from 1964. In the other games that I have watched Boris Mayorov and Vyacheslav Starshinov play together they were accompanied with Viktor Yaroslavtsev, Alexander Yakushev, Yevgeny Zimin and Veniamin Alexandrov.

Strong shift from the Mayorov-Starshinov-Mayorov line which ends with that Boris assists on a goal by Evgeny. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p3q-FxeHubc&t=42m29s

Nice powerplay shift from the line where Starshinov scores assisted by Boris Mayorov. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p3q-FxeHubc&t=58m41s

Here we have Starshinovs game winning goal against Canada in 1967. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y7JsFnf-rDI&t=98m50s

In the first game of the 1968 Olympics against Finland Vyacheslav Starshinov and Boris Mayorov played with Yevgeny Zimin. The only footage we have from this game is the third period but fortunately this line had most of their scoring plays in that period. Seems to have been a really strong game from them.

Starshinov scores after a steal. Great play from him. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oEacUFeMJfc&t=10m55s

Great goal from Zimin. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oEacUFeMJfc&t=17m47s

Great goal from the entire line. Zimin scored the goal. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oEacUFeMJfc&t=30m13s

During the 1968 Olympics Boris Mayorov and Vyacheslav Starshinov also played a number of games on a line with Veniamin Alexandrov. In the game against West Germany this line had a real field day. Yes the opponents were not very strong but it is still possible to get an idea of in which way the Mayorov-Starshinov combination liked to create offence.

Nice shift from them here and Boris Mayorov makes a brilliant assist to Starshinov. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_VqPHBqdeqw&t=6m46s

Great shift from the line and in the end Mayorov scores a great goal after a very nice passing combination. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_VqPHBqdeqw&t=12m14s

Alexandrov scores assisted by Mayorov. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_VqPHBqdeqw&t=37m5s

Mayorov scores after a nice pass from Starshinov. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_VqPHBqdeqw&t=42m57s

In the game against USA the line scored this goal. Starshinov with a tip-in. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ENY2atrQDYk&t=6m40s

If I have one criticism against the Mayorov-Starshinov-Alexandrov line it is their performance in the game against Sweden. They did not only have a quiet night offensively but Mayorov also gave away a goal to Sweden. This goal meant that the Soviets lead was down to 3-2 with less than 3 minutes left of the game. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JlZdzko7DH0&t=88m10s

In the last two games of the tournament Zimin was put back on the line with Mayorov and Starshinov. Here is Starshinovs goal against Canada. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=psibElYk5Gc&t=74m43s And here is Zimins. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=psibElYk5Gc&t=87m33s

Here we have a goal from Starshinov against Sweden in 1970. He shows his ability to score in front of the net. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8D6CCIadRn8&t=20m38s

Theokritos

Global Moderator
Apr 6, 2010
This is nothing too earth shattering, but a few things from over the course of 25 years that talk about the soviets and how they relate to Canadian hockey.

What I find particularly interesting are the observations from both North Americans and Soviets about the techniques and especially the different tactical approaches of the different sides. I hope I can come up with more information about the tactical development of Soviet hockey over the course of this year.

The last sentence caught my attention. Unfortunately I don't know what it was that Lloyd Percival wrote that promted Tarasov to warn against the "universalization of hockey". But terms like "universalization of hockey" and "universal player" can be found time and time again in Russian hockey literature of the 1960s and 1970s. Two examples from this very thread:

Vsevolod Bobrov: "The mastery of Sologubov always lied in his universality (универсализме): the proficiency to support the offence both frequently and effectively."
Anatoly Tarasov: "Some even said Starshinov is a universalist (универсал). They said he could be used as a defenceman. No! Vyacheslav is an exemplary center forward with a very accomplished defensive game, that's what he is."

Here we go: Tarasov contradicting the fans of "universal players". As we can see from these and other examples, "universal player" means "versatile player", in particular "two-way player". Does that mean Tarasov was against two-way hockey? No he wasn't, but he did indeed think that two-way hockey could be taken too far. In particular, he opposed the ideas of Nikolay Epshtein (coach of Khimik Voskresensk) who seems to have preached that every player (skater) should be able to play as a forward as well as a defenceman. In Tarasov's eyes that concept only led to mediocrity in both offensive and defensive ability of the players and it ran contrary to the (desired) development of Soviet hockey. Thus his reservations regarding the idea of an "universalization" of hockey.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
What I find particularly interesting are the observations from both North Americans and Soviets about the techniques and especially the different tactical approaches of the different sides. I hope I can come up with more information about the tactical development of Soviet hockey over the course of this year.

The last sentence caught my attention. Unfortunately I don't know what it was that Lloyd Percival wrote that promted Tarasov to warn against the "universalization of hockey". But terms like "universalization of hockey" and "universal player" can be found time and time again in Russian hockey literature of the 1960s and 1970s. Two examples from this very thread:

Vsevolod Bobrov: "The mastery of Sologubov always lied in his universality (универсализме): the proficiency to support the offence both frequently and effectively."
Anatoly Tarasov: "Some even said Starshinov is a universalist (универсал). They said he could be used as a defenceman. No! Vyacheslav is an exemplary center forward with a very accomplished defensive game, that's what he is."

Here we go: Tarasov contradicting the fans of "universal players". As we can see from these and other examples, "universal player" means "versatile player", in particular "two-way player". Does that mean Tarasov was against two-way hockey? No he wasn't, but he did indeed think that two-way hockey could be taken too far. In particular, he opposed the ideas of Nikolay Epshtein (coach of Khimik Voskresensk) who seems to have preached that every player (skater) should be able to play as a forward as well as a defenceman. In Tarasov's eyes that concept only led to mediocrity in both offensive and defensive ability of the players and it ran contrary to the (desired) development of Soviet hockey. Thus his reservations regarding the idea of an "universalization" of hockey.

Before reading your last paragraph, I took Tarasov's words to mean that he hoped we didn't see a "globalization" of hockey skills and techniques - he preferred that everyone was distinct. You'd know a Canadian player or a Soviet player when you saw one, and you'd know a Canadian, Swedish or Soviet system when you saw one. And he was concerned everyone was borrowing from everyone and it was getting all homogenized.

As far as calling a player universal, I believe it just means all-around, or maybe a version of all-around that goes even further by stating they have multi position versatility. In any case, to me, it didn't seem like the universalization he was referring to was the same as the way it's brought up regarding individual players.

Theokritos

Global Moderator
Apr 6, 2010
Here are their scoring plays from these games.

(...)

Thanks for these.

Strong shift from the Mayorov-Starshinov-Mayorov line which ends with that Boris assists on a goal by Evgeny. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p3q-FxeHubc&t=42m29s

Nice powerplay shift from the line where Starshinov scores assisted by Boris Mayorov. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p3q-FxeHubc&t=58m41s

Boris Mayorov is #12, Starshinov #11 and Yevgeny Mayorov #14. The other two players on the first goal are Vitaly Davydov (#2) and Oleg Zaytsev (#6). On the second goal the defencemen are Eduard Ivanov (#3) and Aleksandr Ragulin (#4).

Sturminator

Love is a duel
Feb 27, 2002
West Egg, New York
I just want to say that I really enjoy and appreciate the work you've done in this thread, Theo. Your contribution to our collective understanding of these players and this era of hockey history has been outstanding. Thanks.

Theokritos

Global Moderator
Apr 6, 2010
I just want to say that I really enjoy and appreciate the work you've done in this thread, Theo. Your contribution to our collective understanding of these players and this era of hockey history has been outstanding. Thanks.

Thank you, I appreciate it. The good news is there's still plenty of information available that I have yet to process, so you can expect more to come.

jarek

Aug 15, 2009
Thank you, I appreciate it. The good news is there's still plenty of information available that I have yet to process, so you can expect more to come.

I concur with Sturminator.. this stuff is GOLD.

Is there any chance you could rush out some stuff on Shadrin?

Theokritos

Global Moderator
Apr 6, 2010
Is there any chance you could rush out some stuff on Shadrin?

I'm in the middle of research on other players and there are plenty of sources to go through, so unfortunately I can't promise I get to Shadrin in time for the ATD line-up discussions.

jarek

Aug 15, 2009
I'm in the middle of research on other players and there are plenty of sources to go through, so unfortunately I can't promise I get to Shadrin in time for the ATD line-up discussions.

Sounds good! I'd love to read more about him because it's so hard to get a read on how good he really was.. anyways, take your time!

Theokritos

Global Moderator
Apr 6, 2010
VIKTOR YAKUSHEV (C, *1937)

Soviet senior league:
1955-1970.

Soviet national team:
1959 World Championship, 1960 Olympics, 1961 WCh, 1963 WCh, 1964 Olympics, 1965 WCh, 1966 WCh, 1967 WCh.

Soviet honours:
1958-1959: top 20 forward
1959-1960: top 16 forward
1960-1961: top 19 forward
1961-1962: top 20 forward
1963-1964: #2 center, All-star
1964-1965: #3 center, All-star
1965-1966: #3 center
1966-1967: #4 center
1967-1968: top 6 center, 7th in Player of the Year voting

International honours:
1964 Olympics All-star

General comments:

Hockey handbook: "Exceptionally versatile in the game. Adjusted perfectly to any linemate. Very adept at every position. Had a strong shot, a precise pass and fine tactical sense. Very good defensively on the penalty kill. Always sent to the ice when the situation was most difficult for his team."
Исключительно универсален в игре. Прекрасно приспосабливается к любым партнерам. Великолепно действует на любом месте. Обладает сильным броском, ювелирным пасом, тончайшим тактическим чутьем, отлично умеет защищаться в меньшинстве. Всегда на поле появляется там, где наиболее трудно его команде.

Vadim Krivenko, Novosti Press Agency (1967): "Equally strong in all departments, a great deal of groundwork falls to his lot, always copes well with his assignments, his partners find it easy playing together with him (Sven "Tumba" Johansson, one of Sweden's all-time greats, once declared that Yakushev was the best Soviet player and would always like to have had him as a partner, if possible)."

Anatoly Tarasov (1968): "There were and there are players only able to play on their favourite position. Viktor Yakushev of Lokomotiv Moscow is the opposite of such a player. He plays brilliantly on any forward position and with any linemate. Viktor managed to fit in perfectly on the Almetov line when he went to [the 1963 World Championship in] Stockholm instead of Konstantin Loktev. At the following world tournament he didn't play wing but center on a line with Leonid Volkov and Anatoly Firsov and he had to execute tactics quite different from what he was used to from his club Lokomotiv. And [at the 1966 World Championship] in Ljubljana he played with B. Mayorov and V. Starshinov of Spartak. Finally, [at the 1967 World Championship] in Vienna, Viktor successfully played together with A. Almetov and V. Aleksandrov again, as four years before."
Были и есть хоккеисты, которые могли и умели играть только на одном, «любимом» месте. Хоккеист московского Локомотива» Виктор Якушев является полной противоположностью таким игрокам. Он играет (и играет с блеском) на любом месте в нападении, в сочетании с любыми партнерами. Виктор сумел отлично вписаться в тройку Альметова, когда поехал вместо Локтева на чемпионат мира в Стокгольм. На следующем мировом первенстве он играл уже вместе с Леонидом Волковым и Анатолием Фирсовым играл не крайним нападающим, а центральным, причем действовать ему пришлось в тактическом ключе, отличном от того, к какому он привык в Своем клубе. А в Любляне Якушев стал чемпионом мира в новой тройке вместе со спартаковцами Б. Майоровым и В. Старшиновым. Наконец, в Вене Виктор снова, как и четыре года назад, успешно сыграл в звене с А. Альметовым и В. Александровым.

Leonid Goryanov: "In 1963 Konstantin Loktev was suspended from the team which left the top line incomplete. The coaches added Viktor Yakushev to the line, but everybody was concerned whether he would be able to fit in. The answer can be read in the Swedish newspaper 'Svenska Dagbladet', from the day after the last game of the tournament: 'The renewed Russian team is a fusion of unprecedented speed and technique, passion and prudence. This is an extraordinary team. But even within this team, perfectly assembled and fine-tuned as a whole, the magnificient Almetov line stands out through its vigour and its synchronicity of thought and action.'"
1963 год. Константин Локтев выведен из состава сборкой, и перед самым чемпионатом мира лучшая тройка сборной оказывается «обнаженной». Тренеры вводят Виктора Якушева, но и их, и всю общественность волнует вопрос: сумеет ли он вписаться в нее? Ответ на него мы прочли в газете «Свенска дагбладет», которая на следующий день после окончания чемпионата писала: «Обновленная русская команда представляет собой сплав небывалой скорости и техники, азарта и рассудительности. Это команда экстракласса. Но даже в ней, идеально собранной и отлаженной в целом, выделяется своей мощью, синхронностью мысли и действий великолепная тройка Альметова».

Anatoly Tarasov (1968): "Just before our departure to the 1964 Olympics, Vladimir Yurzinov was hit by an illness and the Dinamo trio had to be broken up. We hastily created a new line: Leonid Volkov – Viktor Yakushev – Anatoly Firsov. And although it was the very first time Yakushev played with those guys, the new line made a substantial contribution to our victory at the Olympics."
И когда накануне Олимпийских игр 1964 года перед самым вашим отъездом неожиданно заболел Владимир Юрзинов и динамовское трио распалось, то спешным порядком было создано новое звено: Леонид Волков – Виктор Якушев – Анатолий Фирсов. И хотя Якушев впервые играл с этими хоккеистами, новое звено внесло заметный вклад в нашу победу на Олимпиаде.

Viktor Konovalenko: "He had so much talent and such a good understanding of the game that it was enough for him to have a few training sessions together with new linemates to not disrupt the line. And none of his new linemates ever complained that he didn't have an understanding with Yakushev."
Он был настолько талантлив, настолько понимал игру, что ему было достаточно провести в новом сочетании несколько тренировок, чтобы не выпадать из ансамбля. И ни разу никто из его новых партнеров по звену не жаловался, что не понимает Якушева.

Vyacheslav Starshinov: "Usually the stars play in their own style and in their peculiar position, but Yakushev could perform any task and fill any niche. He never shied away from the rough work."

Note: Quoted after the Viktor Yakushev profile on championat.com.

Обычно звёзды играют в своём стиле, на своём месте, а Якушев мог сыграть по любому заданию, заполнить любую нишу. Он никогда не чурался черновой работы.

Leonid Goryanov: "It's for good reason that Arkady Chernyshov, balanced and meticulous in his judgment, called Viktor Yakushev one of the most valuable and most cerebral players of our hockey."
И, право же, недаром очень уравновешенный, придирчивый к слову, к своим оценкам Аркадий Иванович Чернышев назвал Виктора Якушева одним из самых ценных, самых мыслящих игроков отечественного хоккея.

Boris Mikhailov: "I was fortunate enough to play with Viktor Yakushev when I was at Lokomotiv Moscow. He had outstanding talent and was a highly responsible player. I have never met a hockey player more versatile or a more honest character guy than him."
Виктор Прохорович Якушев, с которым мне посчастливилось играть в «Локомотиве», обладая выдающимся талантом, был в высшей степени ответственным игроком. Я не видел более универсального хоккеиста и человека порядочного, с открытой душой, чем Виктор Якушев.

Two-way game, playmaking:

Anatoly Tarasov (1987): "Yakushev was excellent at stickhandling, passing and stealing the puck. His stickhandling wasn't a thing of beauty, but he never deviated from the target, that is: the goal. And if he lost the puck, then he immediately put on a passionate fight to recover it. When handling the puck, Viktor skated with his head up high, which enabled him to see the rink very well and because of this, his passes were such that not even the pickiest linemate had reason to complain. It's no coincidence that many top players hinted or openly asked us coaches to put them on a line with Yakushev when the lines were put together."
Якушев был настоящим атлетом, обладал высокой стартовой скоростью и маневренностью, однако устойчивостью на коньках и ловкостью он выделялся: не припомню, чтобы после силовых единоборств Виктор оказывался опрокинутым на лед. Как и другие выдающиеся форварды, Якушев в совершенстве владел обводкой, передачами, отбором шайбы. Но… Хотя в обводке Виктора этакой красоты не было, он никогда не отклонялся от цели. Той самой цели, которой в хоккее являются ворота соперника. И если при обводке Якушев терял шайбу, то тут же страстно включался в борьбу, чтобы возвратить ее. Вел он шайбу с высоко поднятой головой – эта манера позволяла Виктору хорошо видеть поле, и потому передачи его были такими, что ни один, даже самый привередливый партнер не мог высказать неудовольствие в адрес Якушева за неудобный пас. И не случайно, когда комплектовались звенья сборной, многие ведущие игроки намекали, а то и просто в открытую просили нас, тренеров, чтобы к ним в звено поставили Витюню, как ласково величали Якушева в команде.

Anatoly Firsov: "I played at two World Championships with Viktor: at the [1964] Olympics in Innsbruck and the [1965] tournament in Tampere. Yakushev is the ideal linemate. He has so many qualities that I don't even know where to begin. Maybe I should start with the fact he's a hard worker. Or perhaps his biggest asset is that he excells in the passing game: being a subtle tactican who has a great understanding and sense of the game, he directs the moves of his partners with astonishing craft and reliability. At the same time, the audience and sometimes the opponent too doesn't even notice it's Yakushev who is pulling the strings."
С Виктором я играл на двух чемпионатах. На Олимпийских играх в Инсбруке и на турнире в Тампере. Якушев – идеальный партнер. У него так много достоинств, что я просто затрудняюсь, с чего начать. Может быть, с того, что он великий труженик. А может, главное его достоинство в ином – Виктор превосходно играет в пас: тонкий тактик, великолепно понимающий и чувствующий игру, он поразительно верно и искусно дирижирует действиями партнеров. И в то же время ни зритель, ни соперник порой не замечают, что именно Якушев ведет товарищей.

Vyacheslav Starshinov: "He's good to play with. Yakushev sees the ice very well. The essence of his game is passing."
Хорошо с ним играть. Якушев отлично видит поле. Пас — главное в его игре.

Boris Mayorov: "Yakushev is called a laborer of hockey. That name is not accurate as he's actually an expert of the highest qualification. He's only a laborer in the sense that he's employed in a field of work most of us aren't fond of: doing work for others in the defence, organizing the offence and supporting the partners in the attack. Needless to say, it's a thankless role, but Yakushev has made it his own."
Якушева называют чернорабочим хоккея. Это не точное название, поскольку он специалист высшей квалификации. А чернорабочий он лишь в том смысле, что делает на поле работу, которая большинству из нас не по душе: трудится за других в обороне, организует наступление, поддерживает своих партнеров в атаке. Что и говорить, роль неблагодарная. Но Якушев взял ее на себя.

Nikolay Sologubov: "It was always a great pleasure to be on the ice with him with the national team, as opposed to being on the ice with him in the [domestic] league [as an opponent]: there he never ceased to give me trouble in every single game. A clever player, he is capable of instantly finding and executing a solution that looks simple but is just what the situation calls for. That offensive creativity is one of the most impressive features of this elite forward, but Viktor is also an all-around player."
Право же, я всегда с большим удовольствием играл с ним в сборной команде, нежели в чемпионатах, где он в каждом матче не уставал ставить передо мной трудновыполнимые задачи. Хитрющий игрок, способный в мгновение ока задумать и осуществить на первый взгляд простую, но единственно верную в сложившейся ситуации комбинацию. Подобная изобретательность в средствах атаки — одно из ярких проявлений высококлассного форварда, а Виктор к тому же — хоккеист-универсал.

Anatoly Tarasov (1987): "His wide margin of skills and his strong dedication allowed Viktor to play with success at any position, but the role of the center forward was where Yakushev was really at home. In this role, he was an extraordinarily cunning creator and an intelligent helper for his partners, be it in attack or in defence."
Большой запас мастерства и волевой стойкости позволял Виктору успешно действовать на любом месте, но родным для Якушева было амплуа центрфорварда. В этой роли он был и удивительно интересным созидателем, и умным помощником для своих партнеров, шла ли речь об атаке или обороне…

Defensive game, shutdown role:

Anatoly Firsov: "If I had to define the most impressive quality of this great master in one word, I would probably use the word 'reliability'. Yakushev plays a very disciplined and tough defensive game. I know from my own experience how easy and smooth he is to play with. When he is on the ice, the [other] forwards can close in on the offensive zone and rush forward brazenly: Yakushev always covers for his comrades."
Если бы меня попросили определить одним словом самое впечатляющее достоинство этого большого мастера, я бы, пожалуй, все-таки нашел такое слово – надежность. Якушев чрезвычайно строго и, я бы сказал, жестко играет в обороне. По собственному опыту знаю, нам с ним просто и спокойно играть. Когда Виктор площадке, защитники закрывают зону соперника и смело рвутся вперед: Якушев всегда подстрахует товарища.

Vyacheslav Starshinov: "Defensively he's as reliable as the best defenceman."
Надежно, как лучший защитник, играет в обороне.

Anatoly Tarasov (1987): "Yakushev was better than anyone else when it came to the task of neutralizing the outstanding players of the opposing team. Abroad they call it 'to put a coat on the opponent'. The 'coat' which Yakushev e.g. put on the well known Swedish forward [Ulf] Sterner was worse than a straitjacket. Tenacious in defence, Viktor not only kept the opponent at bay but still found time to participate in the organization, advancement and conclusion of the attack. True, Yakushev didn't score too many goals, but his contribution to the victory still can't be overestimated."
Якушев лучше, чем кто бы то ни было, выполнял задания тренеров по нейтрализации выдающихся игроков соперников. За рубежом это называется «надеть на соперника пальто». Так вот, «пальто», которое, например, надевал Виктор на такого знаменитого шведского форварда, как Стернер, для того было похуже смирительной рубашки.Действуя цепко при опеке, Виктор не только изматывал соперника, но и еще и сам находил время, улучил момент, чтобы участвовать в организации, развитии и завершении атаки своего звена. Правда, забивал Якушев, надо сказать, не так уж много, но все равно его вклад в победы трудно переоценить…

Aleksandr Gorbunov: "[Sven Tumba] Johansson, well aware of the tactical setups and assignments the Soviet players received from Tarasov and Chernyshov, was positive that 'the coaches often gave Yakushev the task to play against a specific opponent, or as we say in Sweden, to put a coat on the opponent. More often than not, I was the target.' The Swedish forward admitted that 'even to undo just the buttons of the coat put on by Yakushev was a difficult thing.'"
Юханссон, хорошо знавший систему установок и заданий, получаемых советскими игроками от Тарасова и Чернышева, был уверен, что «тренеры часто давали Якушеву задание играть против определенного противника, или, как говорят в таких случаях в Швеции, поручали “надеть пальто†на соперника. Чаще всего выбор падал на меня». Шведский форвард признавался, что «даже расстегнуть “пуговицы†надетого на тебя якушевского “пальто†— дело трудное».

Sven 'Tumba' Johansson: "Viktor is a rare master. He's a gentleman, even though he cost me a lot of nerves and didn't allow me to play my game. But he never crossed the line of what the rules permit. I have great respect for him."

Note: Quoted after the Viktor Yakushev profile on championat.com.

Виктор — редкостный мастер. Джентльмен. Хотя и попортил мне нервишки изрядно, бывало, совсем не давал мне проявить себя… Но никогда не преступал грань дозволенного. Я глубоко уважаю Виктора...

Nikolay Sologubov: "His defensive game is the envy of many defencemen."
Его умению играть в обороне могут позавидовать иные защитники.

Physicality:

Vyacheslav Starshinov: "He loves the dirty work and fearlessly plays the body."
Любит черновую работу и бесстрашно играет корпусом.

Anatoly Tarasov (1987): "Like other masters, Yakushev was a natural athlete with quick acceleration and good mobility, but he distinguished himself through his strength on his skates and his agility: I don't remember him ever falling to the ice after a bodycheck."
Как и остальные, Якушев был настоящим атлетом, обладал высокой стартовой скоростью и маневренностью, однако устойчивостью на коньках и ловкостью он выделялся: не припомню, чтобы после силовых единоборств Виктор оказывался опрокинутым на лед.

Anatoly Tarasov (1987): "With the possible exception of Viktor Yakushev – there was never before and has never been since a center who was able to win physical battles against opponents of great strength as Starshinov could."

Note: Used the existing translation provided by Sturminator.
Пожалуй, не было – возможно, за исключением Виктора Якушева – прежде, нет и сейчас у нас такого другого центрфорварда, который умел бы с таким огромным желанием и сноровкой, как Вячеслав, выполнять задания по нейтрализации сильных игроков соперников.

Character:

Nikolay Sologubov: "Perhaps the most prominent and notable trait of his character as a player is his extraordinary composure, his irrepressible thirst for goals and for victory at any cost. Even when a match seems lost, his drive always infects his worn out partners and sends them into a new attack."
Но, пожалуй, наиболее яркая, заметная черточка его хоккейной натуры — это удивительное самообладание, неуемная жажда гола, победы во что бы то ни стало! Этот порыв даже в явно проигранном матче всегда заражает заметно уставших партнеров, бросает их на новый приступ ворот.

Anatoly Firsov: "His reliability manifests itself in the fact that he rarely takes penalties. His sense of obligation to his team is stronger than any personal grievance and the desire to take revenge for an offence. And if there indeed is such a thing as 'non-resistance to evil', our rugged and courageous friend would be the first candidate to be included among its followers. Not only is he never rude, he doesn't even get angry at any opponent, let alone a teammate."
Надежность Якушева проявляется и в том, что с площадки его удаляют крайне редко. Чувство ответственности перед командой выше личных обид и желания «рассчитаться» с обидчиком. И если действительно существует «непротивленье злу насилием», то наш суровый и мужественный товарищ – первый кандидат на включение в число непротивленцев. Он не только никогда не грубит, но даже не сердится ни на соперника, ни тем более на товарища.

Vyacheslav Starshinov: "He never responds to rudeness with rudeness, he tortures the brute by not taking notice of him."
Никогда не отвечает грубостью на грубость, казнит грубияна тем, что просто не замечает его.

QUOTED LITERATURE:

Vyacheslav Starshinov: Я â€“ центрфорвард (1971)
Arkady Komarov (editor): Хоккей. Справочник. ("Hockey handbook", 1977)
Anatoly Tarasov: Настоящие мужчины хоккея (1987)
Boris Mikhaylov: Такова хоккейная жизнь (2008)
Aleksandr Gorbunov: Анатолий Тарасов (2015)

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad