Twenty years of Soviet Hockey: 1962 - 1982 (Index of player profiles in OP)

Sturminator

Love is a duel
Feb 27, 2002
West Egg, New York
Do you consider Tarasov a trustworthy source in general?

More so than Tikhonov. The victor always writes the stories, and Tarasov certainly had a role in crafting his own image, but there is enough information from other sources to pretty well place his role within the structure of the national team.

Do you happen to have examples of such accounts at hand?

I do, but most of the documents are still in partially translated form at the moment. I'll give you an example, though. In this article, Petrov talks about Tarasov deciding to restrict his powerplay icetime, Tarasov bringing him over from the Soviet Wings and Tarasov originally seeing him as a winger (not really surprising with his skillset) to replace Loktev on the A-A-L line before eventually leaving him to center the line with Mikhailov on the right wing after Almetov's retirement. Chernyshev is never mentioned.

To hear Petrov describe it, Tarasov was the man making the decisions. There are other examples of this sort of attribution of Tarasov's role (and scant mention of Chernyshev), but most of the documents are still awaiting proper translation. I'll post them as I can.

Theokritos

Global Moderator
Apr 6, 2010
In this article, Petrov talks about Tarasov deciding to restrict his powerplay icetime, Tarasov bringing him over from the Soviet Wings and Tarasov originally seeing him as a winger (not really surprising with his skillset) to replace Loktev on the A-A-L line before eventually leaving him to center the line with Mikhailov on the right wing after Almetov's retirement. Chernyshev is never mentioned.

The article is referring to CSKA Moscow and the domestic championship, not to the Soviet national team.

Sturminator

Love is a duel
Feb 27, 2002
West Egg, New York
The article is referring to CSKA Moscow and the domestic championship, not to the Soviet national team.

Ah...true. See, that's what happens when you hurry me, Theo. It should be noted, however, that CSKA players made up the lion's share of the national team for the entirety of Tarasov/Chernyshev's tenure, and it is highly unlikely that Chernyshev was mucking around with Tarasov's players.

Theokritos

Global Moderator
Apr 6, 2010
Some snippets that I could dig up on the fly:

Central Red Army under Tarasov were lousy on power play, take my word for it. Lack of in-zone player movement lead to quick turnovers. Не never invented the umbrella. It was the pedantic Chernyshev in charge of power play strategies in the Soviet NT the basic one being the right halfboards overload. What u mistake for the umbrella was in fact Firsov(one of the few RH shooters) at left point who basically never moved in.

Note: "Anderson9" is a Russian CSKA fan who followed the Soviet league vividly, beginning in 1968.

Fyodor Razzakov (p.7) on the roles of both coaches on the NT:
Chernyshov (head coach and strategist) and Tarasov (responsible for selection and preparation of the players)

Last edited:

Sanf

Sep 8, 2012
First of all great stuff. Thanks to Sturminator and his friend.

As for Tarasov I have seen harsher critique than that from Karpov towards Tarasov. Basically saying that he was undoubtedly physical trainer without equal, but the wins he credited to Chernyshov. Tarasov wasn´t cabable of leading the team behind the bench with his hot temper. But this is from memory. I have to try to dug out the quotes from somewhere. Also I think I have some comments from Viktor Konovalenkos book Third Period about Tarasov Chernyshev chemistry. I have also a Russian friend, but he is not a hockey fan at all so I don´t want to bother him to translate long bits, only small clips.

I guess with the Tarasovs old players comments there might be some bitterness in them. Not the easiest guy to work with.

Sturminator

Love is a duel
Feb 27, 2002
West Egg, New York
From what I've seen of player attributions regarding Tarasov, the CSKA players seem to have loved him...the others, rather less. Not really surprising, I suppose. It is probably the case that an important part of Chernyshev's role on the national team was mediating between Tarasov and the non-CSKA players, though it should be noted that CSKA was the chassis around which the national team was built, always providing the top lines (A-A-L, later Firsov-Polupanov-Vikulov and even later K-P-M) and top pairings for the national team during T/C's tenure there (though I'm not 100% sure about that second part...was Vasiliev on the top pairing in 1972, or was it still Ragulin - Tsygankov?).

Tarasov did not like Konovalenko, and was apparently always looking for a replacement, eventually finding a 17 year old Tretiak in some backwater and saying, essentially, "You'll do". Konovalenko played for Torpedo...an example of Tarasov feuding with non-CSKA players, I suppose.

jarek

Aug 15, 2009
Sounds like the actual truth of the real contributions of Tarasov/Chernyshev, at least on the national team, are highly debatable. This is very interesting stuff.

Sturminator

Love is a duel
Feb 27, 2002
West Egg, New York
Sounds like the actual truth of the real contributions of Tarasov/Chernyshev, at least on the national team, are highly debatable.

Sort of...

The only attributions I've ever seen assigning Chernyshev a prominent role on the national team both come from Dynamo guys - Tikhonov and Davydov. In fact, there seems to have been something of a Dynamo/CSKA split at the national team level. When I get around to posting the Vasiliev bio, you'll see that there was bad blood between he and Firsov, as well.

What is not up for debate is that the style of hockey we associate with the Soviet national team and its great successes was the style that Tarasov pioneered at CSKA, and the large majority of Soviet hockey icons during that era were CSKA players, trained and conditioned by Tarasov to execute his tactics, in units that he put together. Of all the prominent players on those teams, it is easier to name the ones who were not coached by Tarasov at CSKA: Konovalenko (Gorky), Davydov (Dynamo), Mayorov (Spartak), Starshinov (Spartak), Yakushev (Spartak), Shadrin (Spartak), Maltsev (Dynamo), Vasiliev (Dynamo), Liapkin (Voskresensk)...that's basically it.

Whether or not Chernyshev was calling the line changes or had the final say in team matters at the national team level (which he probably had, as the official head coach) is largely immaterial to their respective legacies, but yes, Tarasov's significance to Soviet hockey in some ways straddles the line between "builder" and "coach".

Sturminator

Love is a duel
Feb 27, 2002
West Egg, New York
As for Tarasov I have seen harsher critique than that from Karpov towards Tarasov.

Who is Karpov, by the way? I know of no Karpov who played for the Soviet national team while T/C were there.

Anyway, Viktor has managed to dig up some very interesting information on the genesis of Tarasov's 1-2-2 system at CSKA. It seems that the first group of players to put "the system" into practice were actually lower-liners at CSKA: Oleg Zaitsev (libéro), midfielders - Igor Romishevsky and Evgeni Mishakov, and forwards - Yuri Moiseev and Anatoly Ionov. These players were the test group for the system, and later taught Tarasov's new tactics to the rest of the team (Ragulin is specifically mentioned). This specific 5-man unit was first deployed at the national team level at the 1968 Olympics, though it is still unclear exactly when Tarasov began the experiment at CSKA.

Viktor has given me the translations for Oleg Zaitsev, Anatoli Ionov and Evgeni Mishakov, in which the story is told in some detail. I will try to get them cleaned up and posted tomorrow, along with a few other snippets which flesh out Tarasov's role on the national team. Basically, Tarasov seems to have been in charge of all personnel decisions, and for setting up "the system" that the national team would run.

I call Tarasov "the brains" behind the Soviet national team because, well...he was. The Soviets were running Tarasov's schemes with his hand-picked players (he seems to have had strong influence regarding personnel decisions pertaining to non-CSKA players, as well). Chernyshev was probably important in terms of handling the personalities at the national team level, and Tarasov seems to have feuded with a number of non-CSKA players (threw Evgeni Mayorov off the team and pissed Boris off in the process, etc.). I still don't have any specific information about who was the actual bench coach during games.

Will try to get all of this stuff up tomorrow.

Sanf

Sep 8, 2012
Who is Karpov, by the way? I know of no Karpov who played for the Soviet national team while T/C were there.

Yep, Nikolai Karpov was there only when Tarasov was there without Chernyshev. In the 1960 Squaw Valley disaster. And yes it seems that most of the critque comes outside CSKA (you can add Maltsev to that list. IIRC there is something about it in his Championnat profile too EDIT. Nope Maltsev comments was in this Interview ) . Though Bobrov didn´t exactly like Tarasov.

I have translated version of the Karpov comment in Finnish somewhere, but can´t find it now. Here is the google translate version of it.

http://www.sovsport.ru/gazeta/article-item/355882
Why lost in Squaw Valley Americans and Canadians? And that team won Tarasov? It'S Nothing! All winning the world championships and the Olympics mined when the chief was not Tarasov and Chernyshev! No doubt, Anatoly - an outstanding coach. Prepare a player physically - he was not equal. But on the bench, he led the game is not the best way. Emotions overwhelmed. Himself too inflamed, factories and factory team so that all shaking.

Boris Majorov gave similar kind of comments in one interview. About Chernyshev leading the team behind the bench. In this one it seems obvious that Majorov did not have grudge towards Tarasov. Sadly this is also a google translate version so parts of it are nonsense and the risk of misunderstandings grows.

http://www.itogi.ru/specsport/2014/5/197805.html
Role Tarasova in the success of the Soviet hockey evaluated differently. Some call him a genius, others argue that without a partner Arkady Chernyshev, he would not have succeeded.

- You know, every year on December 10, the birthday of Tarasova, I go to his grave. Put flowers and pass on, to the grave of Eugene - the same day my brother died. They lie side by side, on the central avenue Vagankovsky cemetery. I must say that Anatoly made an enormous contribution to the development of our hockey. He is great, if only because he left behind a legacy. For example, printed works, though now they seem to be controversial. In Russia, there were other famous coaches - Epstein, Tufts, Bobrov, but none of them of the inheritance left behind not. Tarasov was a very creative person, he was left to himself or wards. Under his leadership, the players experienced an interesting transformation. While playing, campfire him as best they could, saying that the dictator, the parasite. But as soon as the guys to finish his career as a ratio to the coach immediately changed. All turned to him for help, and all he treated with kindness, tried to help. "No, it's a great man!" - Sounded now in his address.

On the other hand, in the Tarasov was too emotional, sometimes going to the detriment of the case. He lost the thread of team management, as has happened several times in CSKA. A team something - do not forget! - He was the head coach. This position was held by Arkady Chernyshev, Tarasov was just his assistant. But they immediately put the matter so that a coach was not a major or minor. The game has always led Chernyshev - a very well-balanced, though a bit conservative. Sitting on the bench, we almost did not feel his mood. But Tarasov literally boiling, then turned to one and then to another. Many of his phrases have become winged, for example: "Passing only the Soviet hook!"

After a load of Anatoly needed to pass. Those who have succeeded, became great hockey players. Look at how many children he had raised. Get the same Tretiak ... Tarasov said to him: "survive - will be a player!" And really, Vlad spent a day on two games. In the morning, played for the youth team in the evening - in the first men's championship CSKA Moscow. Mishakov, Kharlamov, Lutchenko, Lebedev, Anisin, Bodunov - it's all the same students Tarasova. Gene Tsygankova he brought dohlyakom from Khabarovsk and made one of the best defenders in the world of hockey. Or Vladimir Petrov ... I'm not sure that it would be a serious player, if left in the "Wings of the Soviets." On the other hand, many of their loads Tarasov killed, is also true.

I have seen pretty heated conversations between Russian hockey historians about exact roles of T/C. I personally believe that we will never find the true answer of their roles.

I get back to the Viktor Konovalenko stuff later when I have my notes.

Last edited:

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
Sturm, how do you explain this story if the team wasn't playing Tarasov's 1-2-2 by 1968?

Following the Soviet Union’s 3-2 victory over Canada to lock-up the gold medal in the last match at Innsbruck, the International Ice Hockey Federation Directorate chose USSR right wing BORIS MAYOROV for their Best Forward award. The 25-year-old Soviet captain finished the seven-game final round-robin with seven goals and ten points. This left the Spartak Moscow skater tied with four others, including Soviet teammates VYACHESLAV STARSHINOV and VIKTOR YAKUSHEV, for the second-highest point total at Innsbruck.

Soviet hockey officials, meanwhile, took the award and handed it EDUARD IVANOV. This despite the fact that the 25-year-old CSKA Moscow man was, in fact, a defenseman. Ivanov did score four goals in seven round-robin games, which set a new record for Soviet rearguards at the Winter Olympic Games.

Incredible as it may seem today, the IIHF accepted this and, thus, into the record books went Ivanov’s name.

http://www.goironpigs.com/?cat=67

It's from Boris Mayorov's profile. The story I saw before was that the Soviet officials pushed to have Ivanov included as a forward as something of a validation of Tarasov's 1-2-2 system. I've also seen elsewhere that Ivanov was usually a midfielder (or whatever it was officially called) in the Tarasov system, but he would have been quite old by 1968. From Billy's Ivanov profile:

Joe Pelletier said:
Although the relationship between the two remained rocky at best, Ivanov enjoyed his best years under Tarasov. From 1963 through 1967, Ivanov was part of 4 USSR championships, and 3 world championships.

Always one to tinker with the game, Tarasov was particularly pleased with Ivanov's versatility and complete understanding of the game. This allowed Tarasov to experiment with what was known as "the System." Instead of two conventional defenders backing up three forwards, Tarasov created a five man unit with only one true defender, the great Alexander Ragulin. Vladimir Vikulov and Anatoli Firsov were the explosive forwards, while Viktor Polupanov and Ivanov served as "semi-defensemen," almost like a mid-fielder in soccer. They would roam both ends of the ice, creating odd man situations in both the offensive and defensive zones. Ivanov's ability in both ends led to this revolutionary though still uncommon strategy.

Ivanov's shining moment came at the 1964 Olympics in Innsbruck, Austria. Ivanvov was a key player of the 1964 gold medal championship team in his only Olympic games. Under the revolutionary roaming system, Ivanov, still technically listed as a defenseman, scored 6 goals and 7 points in 8 contests and was named as the best forward in the Olympics.

The tumultuous relationship between Ivanov and Tarasov came to a head several months prior to 1968 Olympics. Tarasov bannished Ivanov and ending his dream of a second chance at Olympic gold. Ivanov was demoted to a little known team in Kalinin that was the equivalent of today's farm teams.

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
An undrafted was central to Tarasov's 1-2-2 system, as I've posted in years past, from his Road to Olympus (I've read and cited the book numerous times).

Unfortunately, that very same player - whom Tarasov praises repeatedly in his book - was panned from my line-up in all-star voting as one of the worst picks undeserving of the minor league line-up I had him lined up in as an extra skater (as the voting was tabulated and announced by seventieslord).

:groucho:

A low moment in terms of my respect for popular opinion.

An extra skater from the minor league draft last year:

Igor Romishevsky

Last edited:

Sturminator

Love is a duel
Feb 27, 2002
West Egg, New York
Clean English translation of Oleg Zaitsev's profile at the Russian site Championat:

zaitsev_zps3z4ifwoo.jpg

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Oleg Alekseevich Zaitsev was born on August 4th, 1939 in Moscow. What a childhood he had: war and post-war ruin, fatherless and hungry. He comes from that group known as "children of victors", that generation which never got accustomed to defeat. His sports career is a confirmation of that truism.

In the mid '60s, CSKA introduced a new tactical innovation to the sporting world: the halfback, or so-called "system". To many, this seemed to be merely one of Army trainer Anatoli Tarasov's eccentricities, but the reality was quite different. The speed, movement, and counterattacking power of the team increased. Threatening the opponent's goal were not three, but four or five attackers. The pioneers of this scheme were: defensemen Oleg Zaitsev and Igor Romishevski, and forwards Evgeni Mishakov, Yuri Moiseyev and Anatoli Ionov.

Zaitsev first played for the Soviet national team on January 15th, 1964 in a game against Canada, and played a total of 44 games for the national team.

At the 1964 Olympic Games in Innsbruck, the Soviet national team, on which Oleg Zaitsev was a defenseman, was not simply the best, but was head and shoulders above the other teams is the tournament's A Pool. This tournament was also recognized as the 31st World Championship and the 42nd European championship.

The 35th World Championship and the 46th European Championship took place as part of the Olympic Games in Grenoble in February, 1968. At these Olympic Games, the Soviet national team again had no equal. These victories were in many respects a credit to Oleg Zaitsev playing on a defense with Alexander Ragulin, Victor Kuzkin, Vitali Davydov and Eduard Ivanov. Those names - legendary!

Here is how Oleg Zaitsev's skill, modesty and readiness to help his teammates were described by the legendary Anatoli Tarasov in the book "Real Men of Hockey":

Anatoli Tarasov said:
"The author is obliged to remind the reader that his friend, CSKA defenseman Oleg Zaitsev, helped Alexander to master his new role. Alexander and Oleg were similar in many respects - as if they competed to see who was the more devoted to hockey. But if Ragulin was the more well-known, the ordinary viewer somehow overlooked Zaitsev's technical efficiency. The team loved him, and we, the coaching staff, admired Oleg's dedication, his courage. Courage in hockey, however, is a special case. Often, speaking about the courage of this or that hockey player, people not close to the game say: ' … he drops down to block a shot - takes a puck'. Of course, a coward cannot do this - the puck hits like a brick. I view courage, however, as a quality, without which a hockey player is not a the hockey player: having given up a goal and hearing the boos from the stands, a hockey player will simply turn away. The courage of Zaitsev … first of all, it consisted in a magnificent mood - seriously, cheerfully, and without self-pity - to train. Here, the present generation of players have something to learn from their predecessors. They could also learn modesty, which Oleg Zaitsev had in great supply. The four-time World and European Champion and two-time Olympic champion Oleg Zaitsev has worked already for many years with the MVO SKA (development) team. He does great work there without any chance at glory - players are always coming and going, and the trainer must constantly start fresh. Hundreds of young players have passed through his hands and, to be sure, none can say a bad word about him as a coach. Oleg's experience, and his network of friends in the hockey world have paid off. Many of Oleg's old comrades have bypassed him in rank (he is a lieutenant colonel) and in honors, but Oleg thinks nothing of it. And moreover, he spends more time with the MVO players than he does with his beloved wife and daughter".

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

*small eulogy at the end omitted

Sturminator

Love is a duel
Feb 27, 2002
West Egg, New York
Clean English translation of Anatoli Ionov's profile at the Russian site Championat:

ionov_zpscz2leyqr.jpg

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Semyon Ivanovich Ionov, a construction worker from Electrostal, had seven children – two daughters and five sons. But this surname is well-known because of only one of them – Tola, who became a famous player for CSKA and the Soviet national team.

Anatoli Semyonovich remembered that in his childhood, the boys played an interesting, but dangerous game: they attached hooks to the bumpers of passing cars and followed them on ice skates. Little Tola was fortunate not to have been seriously injured doing such foolish things. He had already started to take hockey seriously, and his father bought him high-quality, almost professional skates, not the usual "Snow Maidens" that were given to children at the time. Having found a truck, Ionov ran to attach the hook, but the driver was quick - ran out and grabbed the little boy. As a rule, such situations come to an end with a swat to the head and a seizure of the skates, but Anatoli cried so loudly that a passerby came and fought the driver off of him.

In Ionov's youth, there was another, less risky game - tag. On a skating rink, children chased one after another, trying to avoid the one who was "it". According to Anatoli Semyonovich, it was here that he first developed his skating speed.

When he was somewhat older, Anatoli caught the attention of Dmitri Vasilievich Ryzhkov, the Metallurgist coach who loved hockey more than life, itself. He discovered many new talents - besides Ionov, he also found Yuri Paramoshkin, who would become a famous Dynamo player. On Ryzhkov's recommendation, Anatoly was invited to play for the Elektrostal youth team at the Karl Marx academy. He was enrolled as a mechanic's pupil, given 300 rubles in salary and sent to play hockey. Victor Pryazhnikov, who would become Soviet champion as part of the "Wings" was also there. And here, he proved his value, winnnig bronze in the Soviet championships, becoming a Master of Sports, and getting an invitation from Anatoli Tarasov.

Anatoli had to serve in the army, away from hockey in the Dorogobuzhsky woods, but the long-awaited call from CSKA relieved him of this dury. In Moscow, he was integrated quickly into the team, and had immediate success. Ionov was put on a line with Yuri Moiseyev, and then Evgeni Mishakov from "Lokomotive" joined them. Together, this inseparable trio played for about seven years. In Tarasov's "5-man-game", Anatoli Semyonovich also teamed up with his constant companions on defense - Oleg Zaitsev and Igor Romishevsky. This is, however, a very simplified version of the ingenious Tarasov's tactical scheme. The coach considered Zaitsev to be the "central defender", Romishevsky and Ionov the midfielders, and Mishakov and Moiseyev the forwards.

Anatoli Ionov said:
"Without Tarasov and his drive, there would be no great CSKA. There is no doubt about it. How we trained! In the south, when we would jump into the sea after training, the water around us would boil! In the evening, we would go to dance with the girls, but hadn't the strength to dance. The real dances…yes, not all kept up with the training. Afterwards, many complained of Tarasov's methods, but not I - no, never. He was a lovely man."

- said Ionov.

On the national team, however, Ionov went a long time without success, toiling on the second team. Mayorov and Starshinov's Spartak line, the magnificent units from Dynamo and CSKA created too much competition for the young forward, but Evgeni Mayorov's absence from the national team in 1965 unexpectedly gave Ionov a chance. Many said that Tarasov was trying to break up the Spartak line, but it soon became clear that Evgeni had a dislocated shoulder which did not improve in training. So for Anatoli Semyonovich, those World Championships were a debut.

There were also tensions. Boris Mayorov didn't care for the newcomer, and rejected him. But Tarasov insisted that Anatoli go with the team to Finland, and no one regretted the decision. All members of the line scored in almost every game, and the trio were fast friends by the end of the tournament. No one considered Anatoli a "stranger" anymore, and Starshinov became his true friend.

Anatoli Tarasov said:
"In this tournament, Starshinov not only played a masterful game, but also proved to be a great teammate. He did everything he could to make sure that Anatoli Ionov's debut with the team went well. Vyacheslav understood the young man's anxieties, and so gave – imperceptibly, unostentatiously – signals to Tola to help him understand that he was in no way inferior to his veteran linemates. This helped Ionov to assert himself on the line as a full partner, and allowed him to play at his best."

- said Tarasov.

The national team and the club team, however, are still two separate things. Having grown accustomed to playing on the Spartak line, Ionov was dynamite against the red-white team in the Soviet championships. More than once, the Red Army team defeated Spartak because of his play. At the following World Championship, however, Ionov was removed from the line as used as the 10th, spare forward. Lokomotiv star Victor Yakushev was added to the line with Starshinov and Mayorov.

For Anatoli, his first Olympic Games in 1968 was a real triumph. At that time, the choice for third line on the national team was between Motovilov - Shilov - Sakeev from Dynamo and Mishakov - Ionov - Moiseyev from CSKA. The Red Army line proved better in training meetings with the Swedes, and so was selected to go to the games. An important match against the Czechs was lost, however, largely due to poor play from the line, but victory over the Canadians was enough for gold, and Tarasov's "system" proved itself convincingly.

Ionov left CSKA in 1970 when Boris Pavlovich Kulagin became the new head coach of the team. He had no quarrel with the new coach, but the psychological and physical fatigue of his years in hockey had taken its toll.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

*section on post-playing career omitted.

Sturminator

Love is a duel
Feb 27, 2002
West Egg, New York
Clean English translation of Evgeni Mishakov's profile at the Russian site Championat:

mishakov_zpshzkpb4mq.jpg

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Little Zhenya was born in the village of Nikitkino in the Egoryevsky area, and became a Muscovite at the age of seven – his father was a migrant worker. Such work requires that the family live in a barracks, but little Zhenya found plenty of entertainment. Like many boys of that era, he learned to play soccer and hockey. Often instead of real equipment, rag balls or cans were used in these games.

The boy stood out from the contemporaries already at a young age, showing remarkable ability in both sports. His older brother Zheni, who guessed that the young one would be a future champion, took him to Himik stadium located nearby. Zhenya began to play for a team on which all children were older than him, and stood out even then. He was able to earn the respect of the older boys even at a young age through a combination of strength, intelligence and kindness.

The migrant workers' barracks were soon torn down, and Zhenya's parents had to move to a new area. The boy received a "civil" education: seven years of vocational school, after which he became a car mechanic, 4th class. But he also developed in sport, playing soccer and hockey in the youth leagues, where he met his lifelong friend - Boris Mikhailov.

Boris Mikhailov said:
"I have known Evgeni since 1955. For many years, we lived around the same yard, and played together on the local teams. Zhenya was older, and always acted as the ringleader. We needed only to follow his advice and guidance. Our friendship grew over the years. He was for me a kind of confidant. I followed his recommendation in moving first to Lokomotiv Moscow, played on the senior team there for two years, and was finally called up to CSKA".

- said Mikhailov.

Evgeny also went to Lokomotiv on a recommendation. There, he bunked with Yuri Volkov, who was by then already a prominent hockey player, though not yet a two-time world champion. For Mishakov, the real dilemma began at "Loko": he wanted to play for both the soccer and ice hockey teams. Finally, he made his choice, and set forth on a brilliant hockey career.

He could not, however, stay at Lokomotiv. He got his call-up papers, and took the long journey to join the Red Army team. He didn't manage to leave the military for twenty years - at the rank of lieutenant colonel. First, he went to Kalinin representing the Moscow military district, and then – CSKA. Anatoli Tarasov took great interest in him during the armed forces championship, and without hesitation ordered: "Bring him to me". And so Mishakov began the first of twelve long seasons at CSKA, where he would win everything a hockey player could dream of.

Evgeni Mishakov said:
"He was like a father to me"

- Evgeni Dmitriyevich said of Tarasov. And this affection was mutual.

Boris Mikhailov said:
"Zhenya was often called Tarasov's favorite, but from such a coach, this praise must be earned. Mishakov saw no barriers on the ice, feared no one. These things concerned him: the honor of club, flag, national team sweater - all of these were terribly important to him. But he never spoke of these anxieties, and his devotion showed on the ice. He was one of the most fearless players. In the 1969 World Championships in Sweden, he played with a broken hand. He broke his nose a countless number of times. His courage was not only on the ice, but of a very basic source - he could not be confused or intimidated by anyone".

- said Boris Mikhailov

Mishakov recalled the time that Boris Alexandrov, young and stubborn and having just come from Ust Kamenogorsk, after practice refused to collect the gear and sharpen the skates. Evgeni gave him a tongue-lashing and then, as it was in those days, a fist. Tarasov witnessed the incident, and asked for what reason Evgeni had beaten the youngster. "For good reason", Mishakov quietly answered. "Then, so be it", Anatoli Vladimirovich answered, and left.

Alexandrov and Mishakov soon became friends, didn't hold a grudge, and remember that episode in good humor.

Evgeni Dmitriyevich's ability to score goals at the most crucial moments became his calling card. Mishakov – Moiseyev – Ionov: the coaches always put this line on the ice in tense situations. Even when the superiority of the Kharlamov line became indisputable, still Mishakov and company took the ice when the game hung in the balance.

We recall a famous final between CSKA and Spartak. The red-and-white won the first of a best of three series thanks to the Mayorov brothers and Starshinov - 3:2. Mishakov and Moiseyev's five-man unit set the tone in a 4:2 victory in the second game. Evgeny scored the third goal, Moiseyev the fifth, and many experts believed that these goals broke the Spartak players. CSKA then won the final game 8:5 and again claimed the European Championship.

Mishakov also scored at crucial moments for the national team. Defeat at the hands of Czechoslovakia at the Grenoble Olympics put the Soviets in a difficult situation. In the final game, they needed a victory over Canada to take home the gold. With the score 1:0 in favor of the "Red Machine", the Canadians started applying pressure in the Soviet zone. They were playing well both ways, and a second goal was necessary. When it seemed that the "maple leaves" would surely score, Mishakov skated out in counterattack and, having outmaneuvered Broderick, calmly beat the goaltender. 2:0 - after that point, it became clear that the Soviets would again win gold.

Much the same thing happened in the following games - in Sapporo. In the last match with the Czechoslovaks, Mishakov scored two goals (in the 34th and 50th minutes), making a huge contribution to the eventual 5:2 victory.

When Tarasov would put Mishakov's unit on the ice in key matches for CSKA, the crowd would chant "System, forward!" This has already been largely forgotten, but at that time "Tarasov's system" was a paragon of coaching tactics. Anatoli Vladimirovich introduced to hockey the "midfield" position similar to that in soccer. Oleg Zaitsev was the only "pure" defender in the five-man unit. Romishevsky and Ionov were the midfielders, and Mishakov with Moiseyev the forwards. "The system" generated a dizzying whirl of combination play, and opponents were often lost on the ice, without a chance to stop them. Of course, opponents deployed their best defensemen, the elite of Soviet hockey, but stopping Mishakov was extremely difficult. In a beginning of his career, he took the ice in an original postwar helmet reminiscent of old tankers' helmets from the 1930s. Appropriately, Mishakov's style became that of a tank – sharp and powerful breakouts, hard shots, winning goals.

An incident in 1967, however, nearly cost him his place on the team. The magazine "Truth" called Mishakov a bully and a thug for a fight he got into at a taxi stand. The journalists didn't understand the situation, and refuting the reports of the party press was forbidden. Evgeni Dmitriyevich claimed innocence.

Evgeni Mishakov said:
"Zaitsev didn't tip the taxi driver, and a fight ensued. Oleg was thrown on the hood of the car, and was being beaten. With Kuzkin, I rushed to his aid. There were eight taxi drivers and three of us. One of them hit his head on the bumper, and the Pravda newspaper wrote that CSKA players had ambushed and beaten the man. They stripped us of our rank, and removed us from the national team. Kuzkin was taken to the World Championships only because even then defenders of his quality were in short supply".

After that, his debut in the World Championships had to be put off, but his talent and determination eventually allowed him to prevail and compete in the Olympics.

Our hero had also a clear talent for fighting. He was called the first sheriff of Soviet hockey.

Evgeni Mishakov said:
"Sometimes Tarasov even asked me to beat up one of our opponents. On the ice and in life, I feared no one. That's just how I am."

- said Mishakov. What should it tell us that Ragulin, the athlete of athletes, admitted that though he and Zhenya were best friends, he was always afraid of him?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

*section on post-playing career omitted.

Sturminator

Love is a duel
Feb 27, 2002
West Egg, New York
Assorted quotes dealing with Tarasov's role as "architect" of the Soviet national team:

From the Evgeni Mayorov bio:

In 1964, the great triumphs of the Soviet national team on which the legendary line skated were won: gold medals at the World and European Championships and Olympic games. The Spartak line made a great contribution to those victories. At the Olympic games, the Soviet national team trailed Canada for most of the game before Evgeny scored to even the score at 1:1, and the national team eventually won.

It seemed that the golden age of victories would last forever, but life sometimes holds bitter surprises in store. Evgeny Mayorov was removed from the national team due to a conflict with coach Anatoli Tarasov. And so it was - he never returned. In the book "Watching Hockey", his brother Boris drew the following conclusion:

Boris Mayorov said:
"I still maintain that my brother's destiny was decided for non-hockey reasons".

Tarasov's account was different:

Anatoli Tarasov said:
I will explain how Anatoly Ionov made it onto the national team in 1965. Before the World Championships in Tampere, it became clear that a vacancy had opened on the national team: Evgeni Mayorov cannot play within the system. While all his teammates were continuously improving their skills, becoming more confident and reliable with each passing year, Evgeny had not grown as a hockey player. He had always been much weaker than his linemates, but we resigned ourselves to his place as there was no suitable replacement. But eventually others caught up to Evgeny. Additionally, and this is very important, the nature of our system had changed: our style demanded that each athlete be a fighter. Evgeny simply didn't have the necessary strength and endurance".

From the Viktor Polupanov bio:

Viktor Polupanov said:
"At that time, Dynamo trained on a rink in Sokolniki, and one had to go from Khimki to the Leningrad station, and from there to Sokolniki. Practices ended late, and then the long trip home to Khimki. My father would meet me at the train station, and we would go home together. I have great appreciation for all that my father did for me. Without him, I would have never become a hockey player..."

- Viktor Andreevich recalled.

The young player was noticed by CSKA, and sent to play for the Red Army's youth team. At the same time, Victor Andreevich played soccer for the Dynamo senior team.

Viktor Polupanov said:
"Anatoli Tarasov decided to form a new shock unit at CSKA and the Soviet National team, and "attached" me to Vikulov and Anatoli Firsov. I had to give up soccer, and Lev Ivanovich Yashin was distraught when he heard about it: "Why do you do it, Vitya?", he asked. But I was already mad for hockey."

- recalled Polupanov, and so the superline of the Soviet national team was formed.

From the Valeri Kharlamov bio:

He was the top scorer in the 1970-71 Soviet league season with 40 goals. At the 1971 World Championships, the national team won thanks to the deciding goal he scored in the match against Sweden.

Just before the Olympic Games in Sapporo, Tarasov decided to move Kharlamov to another unit - with Vikulov and Firsov. Valeri played extremely well on this unit. He was top scorer at the Olympic Games, and scored two hat tricks (in matches against Finns and Poles). During the games, Kharlamov scored 16 points, with 9 goals and 7 assists. USSR won gold at the Olympic Games in Sapporo - largely on the back of Kharlamov's play.

What we see going on here is quite clear. Tarasov was the architect, not only of CSKA, but also of the Soviet national team. When he wanted to bring a young player like Polupanov to CSKA, he did it. When he decided to change a unit or form a new one for the national team, he did so, even when it meant messing with the Spartak players. It was Tarasov's units and Tarasov's schemes which were realized on the national team.

That the Soviet national team ran "the system" has never really been in doubt. The team consisted of at least 2/3rds CSKA players over the entire period, and non-CSKA players were similarly subjected to Tarasov's drills and instruction (and not all of them liked it). It is ultimately these things - composition and tactics - that history remembers as special about those Soviet national teams. This was Tarasov's doing. Whatever significance Chernyshev may have had as a behind-the-scenes players' coach and possibly bench coach (though we don't really know), it pales in comparison to the role Tarasov played in constructing what we think of as "Soviet hockey".

jarek

Aug 15, 2009
I feel like there's so much here that really serves to give us more knowledge about Tarasov. Cool stuff.

Sturminator

Love is a duel
Feb 27, 2002
West Egg, New York
Sturm, how do you explain this story if the team wasn't playing Tarasov's 1-2-2 by 1968?

To answer your question now more specifically: I have still never seen an exact date put down for the implementation of "the system", but I believe this quote from Tarasov regarding the dismissal of Evgeni Mayorov from the Soviet national team probably gives us our best clue:

Anatoli Tarasov said:
I will explain how Anatoly Ionov made it onto the national team in 1965. Before the World Championships in Tampere, it became clear that a vacancy had opened on the national team: Evgeni Mayorov cannot play within the system. While all his teammates were continuously improving their skills, becoming more confident and reliable with each passing year, Evgeny had not grown as a hockey player. He had always been much weaker than his linemates, but we resigned ourselves to his place as there was no suitable replacement. But eventually others caught up to Evgeny. Additionally, and this is very important, the nature of our system had changed: our style demanded that each athlete be a fighter. Evgeny simply didn't have the necessary strength and endurance.

That would suggest that "the system" was being implemented at the national team level by 1965, and that there was tension with the Spartak guys over it. This should perhaps come as no surprise. Tarasov's system was very physically demanding, and his training sessions don't sound like a hell of a lot of fun.

So my best guess would be that he started the experiment with CSKA lower-liners (which is interesting, in itself...more cautious than I would have expected) sometime in the 1963-64 timeframe, saw that it was working, and then had those guys teach it to the other CSKA skaters and started implementing it with all units at CSKA and on the national team by 1965.

Theokritos

Global Moderator
Apr 6, 2010
non-CSKA players were similarly subjected to Tarasov's drills and instruction (and not all of them liked it).

Neither did all of the CSKA players like it. Tarasov was sacked as national coach in 1953 and as CSKA coach in 1960, Bobrov and Tregubov couldn't stand him, Vladimir Petrov constantly argued with him etc.

To answer your question now more specifically: I have still never seen an exact date put down for the implementation of "the system", but I believe this quote from Tarasov regarding the dismissal of Evgeni Mayorov from the Soviet national team probably gives us our best clue:

Anatoli Tarasov
I will explain how Anatoly Ionov made it onto the national team in 1965. Before the World Championships in Tampere, it became clear that a vacancy had opened on the national team: Evgeni Mayorov cannot play within the system. While all his teammates were continuously improving their skills, becoming more confident and reliable with each passing year, Evgeny had not grown as a hockey player. He had always been much weaker than his linemates, but we resigned ourselves to his place as there was no suitable replacement. But eventually others caught up to Evgeny. Additionally, and this is very important, the nature of our system had changed: our style demanded that each athlete be a fighter. Evgeny simply didn't have the necessary strength and endurance.

That would suggest that "the system" was being implemented at the national team level by 1965, and that there was tension with the Spartak guys over it.

Does the passage quoted above refer to "the system" (as in 1-2-2) at all? The two sentences in question:

1) English translation: Evgeni Mayorov cannot play within the system
Russian original: Евгений Майоров не может выступать в ее составе (состав / sostav = compound, composition, body, squad, roster, line-up, make-up)

2) English translation: additionally, and this is very important, the nature of our system had changed
Russian original: Кроме того, и это очень важно, изменился характер нашей игры (игры / igry = game)

"System" is a loose but possible translation in both cases, but it's questionable to interpret it as "the system" aka Tarasov's 1-2-2. From what I've seen so far the latter is always referred to as "система" (sistema = system), often particularly distinguished by the use of quote marks.

Last edited:

Sturminator

Love is a duel
Feb 27, 2002
West Egg, New York
Neither did all of the CSKA players like it. Tarasov was sacked as national coach in 1953 and as CSKA coach in 1960, Bobrov and Tregubov couldn't stand him, Vladimir Petrov constantly argued with him etc.

There is little doubt that Tarasov squabbled a lot with the older generation of players when he first took over CSKA. I gather that he didn't much care for Bobrov's basically selfish style of play.

Does the passage quoted above refer to "the system" (as in 1-2-2) at all? The two sentences in question:

It's impossible to know for sure, though according to Viktor, Tarasov doesn't typically use quotation marks, himself, when referring to "the system", and in general speaks in an oblique manner, so there are points where his meanings are simply not certain. This is a best guess based on the information that we have. We actually have good reason to believe that it had already been implemented by the 1964 Olympics, at least for the CSKA guys, due to the whole Ivanov winning Best Forward story and the "mid 60's" attribution about the genesis of the system.

It is, of course, also possible that non-CSKA units never implemented "the system" on the Soviet national team, though this seems highly unlikely. For one thing, when 2/3rds of a team is running 5-man units, the last five guys pretty much end up doing the same thing by default. For another thing, "the system" was legendary in its own time in the Soviet Union...fans would cheer "System, forward!" when the original system line took the ice. Unlikely that Tarasov wouldn't have gotten the green light for implementing his scheme with the whole national team. I don't know, however, that we're ever going to find an exact date in the sense of a quote saying: "On this day, 'the system' was born." It was probably an iterative process.

Sturminator

Love is a duel
Feb 27, 2002
West Egg, New York
From Viktor:

Tarasov uses strange language. Citing his stories is like quoting from a philosophy book in history class. He describes Ivanov as "Защитник штангистского сложения"...what to make of this? Certainly, 'система' is nowhere to be found, but we know from many sources that Ivanov was a midfielder in 'система'.

When he discusses Firsov's transition to the midfield, he talks about his new 'роли' (role), but never uses the term 'система'. Of Firsov, Tarasov says:

Десять лет отменно выступал Анатолий на левом краю атаки, но когда мы предложили ему попробовать себя в новой вообще для хоккея роли хавбека, он согласился сразу же, без колебаний.

I do not believe that it is Tarasov who used 'система' to describe the style of play of his teams. With Tarasov's words, context and a bit of interpretation are always necessary.

edit: Viktor's clarification: "Defenseman who carries weight in the configuration" would be the most direct translation of Tarasov's description of Ivanov: "Защитник штангистского сложения". In this case, Tarasov probably uses the word "сложения" to refer to "the system".

Last edited:

Theokritos

Global Moderator
Apr 6, 2010
From Viktor:

Tarasov uses strange language. Citing his stories is like quoting from a philosophy book in history class. He describes Ivanov as "Защитник штангистского сложения"...what to make of this? Certainly, 'система' is nowhere to be found, but we know from many sources that Ivanov was a midfielder in 'система'.

When he discusses Firsov's transition to the midfield, he talks about his new 'роли' (role), but never uses the term 'система'. Of Firsov, Tarasov says:
Десять лет отменно выступал Анатолий на левом краю атаки, но когда мы предложили ему попробовать себя в новой вообще для хоккея роли хавбека, он согласился сразу же, без колебаний.
(...)

Tarasov uses the expression хавбек (khavbek), a simple russification of "half-back", the pre-1970s soccer term for a midfielder. So does Fyodor Razzakov (already quoted in post #130) in his book on Tarasov when referring to the two midfield players in the 1-2-2:

Tarasov tested this "system" at CSKA, setting up a special unit of five players: Aleksandr Ragulin (stopper), Eduard Ivanov and Viktor Polupanov (хавбеки = half-backs), Vladimir Vikulov and Anatoli Firsov (forwards). In this composition the line was taken to Vienna-67 [1967 World Championship].

Original:
Эту «систему» Тарасов опробовал у себя в ЦСКА, создав специальное звено из пяти игроков: Александра Рагулина (стоппер), Эдуарда Иванова и Виктора Полупанова (хавбеки), Владимира Викулова и Анатолия Фирсова (нападающие). Именно в таком виде это звено и было взято в Вену-67.

Eduard Ivanov played that "half-back" role in 1967 for sure, but 1964 is a different matter. In fact, Razzakov quotes Tarasov himself referring to the '67 World Championship as the premiere of the 1-2-2 on the international stage:

After Vienna I had to express my surprise that not a single journalist and not a single hockey expert saw or wrote that the Soviet team played in an unusual way tactically. This circumstance suggested that our "secret" had not been figured out and we could play the same way at Grenoble [1968 Olympics]. And thus we played that way [again], only difference being that [by now] two units had mastered the "system".

Original:
Мне приходилось высказывать удивление, что после Вены ни один журналист, ни один специалист хоккея не увидел, не написал, что сборная СССР играла в непривычном тактическом ключе. Это обстоятельство натолкнуло на мысль, что «тайна» наша не разгадана, что и в Гренобле мы можем играть так же, как и в Вене. И мы так и сыграли, с той лишь разницей, что «систему» освоили два звена.

The two units playing "the system" at Grenoble according to Tarasov/Razzakov were: Ragulin (stopper); Viktor Blinov, Polupanov (half-backs); Vikulov, Firsov (forwards) and Oleg Zaitsev (stopper); Igor Romishvesky, Anatoly Ionov (half-backs); Yevgeny Mishakov, Yury Moiseyev (forwards).

Sturminator

Love is a duel
Feb 27, 2002
West Egg, New York
The two units playing "the system" at Grenoble according to Tarasov/Razzakov were: Ragulin (stopper); Viktor Blinov, Polupanov (half-backs); Vikulov, Firsov (forwards) and Oleg Zaitsev (stopper); Igor Romishvesky, Anatoly Ionov (half-backs); Yevgeny Mishakov, Yury Moiseyev (forwards).

Hmmm...then what to make of Tarasov's own account of Firsov being asked to convert to midfield in "the system"? Perhaps he was only referring to the 1972 Olympics in Sapporo, when Polupanov was dropped and Kharlamov added to the unit? This may well be the case (he goes on to talk about 1972 in the citation)...and would, of course, mean that Firsov actually spent very little time in the midfield role.

At any rate, the quote from Tarasov about the 1967 World Championships is probably the best piece of information we have about the implementation of "the system" at the national team level, though this would also mean that Ivanov spent little time as an actual midfielder, as he wasn't on the team much past that point. His Best Forward award in 1964 looks quite bizarre, as well, in light of this. Good finds, Theo.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->