Twenty years of Soviet Hockey: 1962 - 1982 (Index of player profiles in OP)

Batis

Sep 17, 2014
Merida, Mexico
These profiles are great. Thank you for posting them.

Here is another excellent game video of the Soviet national team in the 1960's - this time from the 1964 USSR - Canada tilt:

The Soviet lines:

#15 Firsov - #10 V. Yakushev - #13 Volkov

Great game. One small correction though. I am pretty sure that Firsov was wearing number 13 in this game.

Another great game from this era is the USSR-CSSR game from the 1967 WHC. Probably one of the best games of Firsovs international career.

Some of Firsovs best plays in this game.

1.26.00​

Last edited:

Sturminator

Love is a duel
Feb 27, 2002
West Egg, New York
Clean English translation of Alexander Yakushev's profile at the Russian site Championat:

yakushev_zps3cbwlaqg.jpg

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Today, our story follows a legend of Soviet hockey, a "refined, intelligent" player, who became, when he took the ice, "a scrappy fighter, ruthless to himself".

"Yak-15" - the Soviet forward wearing the number 15 was known by this moniker all over the world.

Alexander Sergeyevich Yakushev was born on January 2, 1947 in the city of Balashikha, greater Moscow. Soccer was his favorite sport as a child, and by the age of 12, Alexander was already playing for the Spartak youth team. Hockey started becoming very popular at that time, so Alexander decided to try a new sport. His parents worked at the Moscow "Sickle and Hammer" steel works, so he joined up with the factory team.

His older teammates urged him to go to Alexander Igumnov who was in charge of Spartak's youth hockey program. Igumnov took the boy's request, but observed the proper protocols, asking for a vote from the Sickle and Hammer team. Alexander decided to simply let it be, but destiny had other ideas, and Alexander ended up playing for Spartak for many years. In a youth semifinal for the Cup of Moscow, Igumnov saw Alexander play, and admired his game. Rather than rely on Yakushev, he decided to file the paperwork, himself. That is how Alexander Yakushev joined the Spartak youth hockey team. Most of the boys were older, but by autumn, he was already in the starting lineup.

Spartak won the Soviet youth title two years in a row. At that time, the famous Spartak line of the Mayorov brothers and Vyacheslav Starshinov was at its best. Everyone admired their game, including Alexander. In April, 1964, on the eve of an important match with the title-holders Krylja Sovetov, Boris Mayorov fell ill, and no acceptable replacement for him could be found. The great Vsevolod Bobrov, then the senior coach of Spartak, made the unexpected move of bringing Alexander Yakushev onto the team's top line. This was not only a great stroke of luck for Alexander, but also a severe test, which he handled very well. Alexander scored a goal in this game, and under the careful guidance of Bobrov, stayed with the senior team through the first 17 games of the season, though he only saw the ice in 5 of those matches.

In little time, his talent came to be held in high esteem - by the end of the year, Yakushev was already on the youth national team when they made their trip to the USA. Nicolai Epstein, coach of the national team's B club at the time, invited the young man to train with the team, so Alexander began at that time, as a member of the Soviet second team, perfecting the skills he would need to compete against Canadian professionals. With great size - 6' 2" - Alexander possessed good speed and an excellent stick.

If a person does not work long and hard, talent quickly comes to naught. Alexander trained, giving everything he had, which could not help but make him better. He was always terse, preferring actions to words.

In 1967, under the leadership of the legendary Bobrov, Spartak became Soviet champions. That same year, Alexander was invited to the national team, where he justified the hope placed in him - at the World Championships in Vienna where he went along as a spare, he scored a goal in a match with East Germany. He finally earned a starting role on the national team in 1972, just before the Sapporo Olympics.

In sport, some events are eternal, their value not diminishing over time. The matches between the Soviet national team and the Canadian professionals in the Summit Series were such an event. The 7-3 victory on Canadian home ice in Montreal plunged the homeland into hockey mania. It would be difficult to overstate Yakushev's contribution to this victory - his play was beyond praise.

In each of the first four matches of that series, Yakushev won the prize for best player (including a gold ring) awarded by a panel of Canadian hockey experts. In only eight matches, Alexander scored nearly a quarter (7 of 32) of the national team's goals. Following the results of the Summit '72 series, Canadian journalists ranked Alexander Yakushev, Vladislav Tretiak and Valery Kharlamov among the "immortals".

That same year, Alexander Yakushev graduated from MOPI of N. K. Krupskaya.

Two years later, a new series against the Canadians further cemented Yakushev's status as not only a masterful player, but also a steady and consistent one. At the World Championships in the spring of 1975, along with victory for the national team, he was awarded the ultimate prize - Best Forward of the tournament. For this achievement, Yakushev was awarded the Order of the Red Banner of Labor.

Alexander Yakushev continued to shine for his club team, Spartak. The Yakushev - Shadrin – Shalimov line was inimitable, and nearly unbeatable.

At the Olympic Games in Innsbruck in 1976, Yakushev won his second gold with the Soviet national team. That same year, he became captain of Spartak, taking Yuri Liapkin's place.

Alexander finished his career with the Soviet national team in 1980, World Champion for the seventh time. He amassed remarkable statistics over the course of his career: 568 Soviet league matches, 339 goals (7th all-time in Soviet hockey), 64 goals at the Olympic Games and World Championships, 144 total goals for the national team. For his career, he was twice a World Championhsip All-Star, led the Soviet league in goalscoring three times, and was one of the six best hockey players and top ten athletes in the nation.

Here is what Anatoli Tarasov had to say about Yakushev:

Anatoli Tarasov said:
"It must be said: Alexander Yakushev skillfully executed our game plans, and had success against a wide variety of opponents - rough and technical, swift and sluggish, skilled, cool and dangerous opponents.

Alexander scored goals in a peculiar and elegant manner, with his great reach, weaving intricate patterns on the ice which only Yakushev could understand. What is interesting is that the puck seemed to be glued to his stick - is this not evidence of the highest level of technique?!

When Alexander skated up ice with those long strides, his eye was fixed firmly on his opponent. Should that opponent bite on a feint, Yakushev, changing gears…could beat practically anyone.

Yakushev did not, however, like to defend, but in my opinion no one could exploit this weakness - everyone was generally too concerned trying to stop Alexander from attacking.

Despite all the checking schemes of his opponents, he always scored goals. And, when finishing in the high-traffic areas, Alexander Yakushev transformed from a refined and intelligent player into a scrappy fighter, ruthless to himself".

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

*brief section on Yakushev's post-playing career omitted.

Sturminator

Love is a duel
Feb 27, 2002
West Egg, New York
I have transcribed the sections on Starshinov and Alexandrov from the images that seventies posted, and will add the quotes to the profiles. seventies - I will add the quotes with page numbers...perhaps you can identify the names of the books from which the passages are taken? I'd rather quote a book by name than simply attribute a passage to "Tarasov".

Any help with the other players described in those documents (Firsov, Almetov and Loktev, basically) would be greatly appreciated.

Note: two short quotes regarding Starshinov seem to indicate that he had some value as a two-way player. Neither attribution describes him as a superior checker, but there is at least some hint that he had defensive value (more than Almetov, at any rate).

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
I have transcribed the sections on Starshinov and Alexandrov from the images that seventies posted, and will add the quotes to the profiles. seventies - I will add the quotes with page numbers...perhaps you can identify the names of the books from which the passages are taken? I'd rather quote a book by name than simply attribute a passage to "Tarasov".

Any help with the other players described in those documents (Firsov, Almetov and Loktev, basically) would be greatly appreciated.

Note: two short quotes regarding Starshinov seem to indicate that he had some value as a two-way player. Neither attribution describes him as a superior checker, but there is at least some hint that he had defensive value (more than Almetov, at any rate).

The first is the red machine, the next couple are from The Father Of Russian Hockey, then after that, it's all Road To Olympus.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
These profiles come just at the right time, amazing work Sturm.

I especially like the Tarasov quote on Yakushev.

Sturminator

Love is a duel
Feb 27, 2002
West Egg, New York
Viktor informs me that among the 100 profiles of Soviet/Russian players on that site (including such luminaries as Alexei Yashin and Igor Kravchuk), there is no profile for Helmut Balderis. Sigh...

According to Viktor (and I have no way of confirming this information), Balderis is not merely a Latvian, but a man of Germanic descent - hence the very German first name "Helmut" (or Helmuts, depending on how Latvian-sounding a transcription one wants from the Cyrillic), and it is primarily for this reason that he faced such discrimination within the Soviet system. Viktor says this was common knowledge, for whatever that's worth.

For my part, I must admit that I find it more than a bit disturbing that there is no profile for Balderis on this site. His status as one of the great Soviet forwards is not in any doubt, but I guess he's not "Russian" enough. Sad...

ResilientBeast

Proud Member of the TTSAOA
Jul 1, 2012
Edmonton
This has been extremely helpful Sturminator, I've added it to the The Consolidated ATD Resource and Retrospective Sticky. Just in case it ever gets lost.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
Viktor informs me that among the 100 profiles of Soviet/Russian players on that site (including such luminaries as Alexei Yashin and Igor Kravchuk), there is no profile for Helmut Balderis. Sigh...

According to Viktor (and I have no way of confirming this information), Balderis is not merely a Latvian, but a man of Germanic descent - hence the very German first name "Helmut" (or Helmuts, depending on how Latvian-sounding a transcription one wants from the Cyrillic), and it is primarily for this reason that he faced such discrimination within the Soviet system. Viktor says this was common knowledge, for whatever that's worth.

For my part, I must admit that I find it more than a bit disturbing that there is no profile for Balderis on this site. His status as one of the great Soviet forwards is not in any doubt, but I guess he's not "Russian" enough. Sad...

One wonders just how much adversity Balderis had to face to get as far as he did.We know some of it, but the day-to-day atmosphere must have been quite hard for him.

jarek

Aug 15, 2009
One wonders just how much adversity Balderis had to face to get as far as he did.We know some of it, but the day-to-day atmosphere must have been quite hard for him.

I doubt the players gave him as hard a time as the coaches and others.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
I doubt the players gave him as hard a time as the coaches and others.

Could be true, could be false.Hard to know.Regardless, having the machine disliking you or discriminating against you is not a good environment.

jarek

Aug 15, 2009
Could be true, could be false.Hard to know.Regardless, having the machine disliking you or discriminating against you is not a good environment.

Indeed. Quite a few players wanted out, though, which to me is at least circumstantial evidence supporting that at least some of the players would have been understanding of Balderis' position.

Theokritos

Global Moderator
Apr 6, 2010
I wish I knew more about Chernyshev's role on the national team. I see him mentioned only rarely when reading about those teams...

That's mostly because he was a rather quiet and reserved person who was content to let Tarasov do the talking. Not to mention the countless comments and books the latter wrote and published.

I gather that he was the more diplomatic figure, the players' coach...

By all accounts he was:

Vsevolod Bobrov:
He is easygoing. He is one of those who understand professional hockey and the mind of the athlete. He more than anyone else knows how to convince people, lead them, unify a team. Chernyshov – a real teacher, an example for all of us.

Original:
С ним легко. Он из тех, кто профессионально знает хоккей и душу спортсмена. Он как никто другой умеет убедить людей, повести их за собой, сплотить коллектив. Чернышёв – настоящий педагог, пример для всех нас.

→Source (p.14-15)

Valeriy Kharlamov:
In contrast to Anatoliy Vladimirovich [Tarasov], Arkadiy Ivanovich [Chernyshov] is forgiving, gentle, polite and always calm – at least outwardly. At all times he's composed and regardful. Chernyshov skillfully soothes the players, softens the emotional and sometimes unnecessarily harsh tirades of his colleague; he is very cautious in his choice of expressions and it seems he never does anything nor speak without weighting all possible pros and cons... Arkadiy Ivanovich was always mindful of the players, he lived for their concerns; it was always possible to come and pour one's heart out, even when the cause of one's trouble had nothing to do with hockey at all. He listened to us with evident interest and attention...

Original:
Аркадий Иванович в отличие от Анатолия Владимировича отходчив, мягок, вежлив, неизменно спокоен -- по крайней мере внешне. Он всегда сдержан и корректен. Чернышев умело успокоит хоккеистов, смягчит темпераментные, порой излишне резкие тирады своего коллеги; он весьма осмотрителен в выборе выражений и, кажется, никогда ничего не делает и не говорит, не взвесив предварительно все возможные "за" и. "против"... Аркадий Иванович всегда был внимателен к игрокам, жил их заботами; к нему всегда можно было прийти "излить душу", даже в тех случаях, когда причиной огорчения были дела вовсе и не хоккейные. Он нас выслушивал с видимым интересом и вниманием...

Source

Semyon Vaikhanskiy:
Chernyshev could keep his players calm in crucial situations. [Chernyshev] could direct the “stars”, something that for Tarasov, with his boiling over the top emotions, was unattainable... One would prod them like the devil, while the other would humanely reap the rewards of their work.
Source (p.135)

Vaikhanskiy (1937-2004) was a sport journalist from Leningrad/St. Petersburg who covered hockey from 1965 to his death.

Nikolay Karpov:
When the World Championship is about to come along, Tarasov starts to push the team [in training] until they're half dead. The boys turn to Chernyshov: "Calm him down, we're worn out." He dashes in: "Anatoliy, it's enough!"... They couldn't stand each other! Like cat and dog!

Original:
А вот как приезжают на первенство мира, Тарасов начинает команду гонять до полусмерти. Ребята идут к Чернышеву: «Успокойте его, сил больше нет». Тот бросает: «Толя, хватит!»... они друг друга терпеть не могли! Как кошка с собакой!

Source

But his influence went well beyond the human aspect:

Viktor Tikhonov:
I do not at all want to minimize the contributions of Anatoly Vladimirovich Tarasov. First and foremost, he prepared the team, and did it splendidly. The national team had a strong body. But the head... the head was nevertheless Chernyshev, a generator of ideas, a matchless strategist, a tireless seeker of the new, the unknown.
Source (p.136)

Last edited:

Theokritos

Global Moderator
Apr 6, 2010
According to Viktor (and I have no way of confirming this information), Balderis is not merely a Latvian, but a man of Germanic descent - hence the very German first name "Helmut" (or Helmuts, depending on how Latvian-sounding a transcription one wants from the Cyrillic), and it is primarily for this reason that he faced such discrimination within the Soviet system.

Such as?

Last edited:

Sturminator

Love is a duel
Feb 27, 2002
West Egg, New York
But his influence went well beyond the human aspect:

Viktor Tikhonov: said:
I do not at all want to minimize the contributions of Anatoly Vladimirovich Tarasov. First and foremost, he prepared the team, and did it splendidly. The national team had a strong body. But the head... the head was nevertheless Chernyshev, a generator of ideas, a matchless strategist, a tireless seeker of the new, the unknown.

I have also read that thesis, and I have a few issues with that quote, and the work, in general:

First, the writer of that work apparently knew little about what was actually happening on the ice. Otherwise, he would have known that Chernyshev did not prevent Tarasov from implementing his "wilder flights of fancy" such as the 1-2-2 system, at the international level. The person who wrote that paper did a nice job of digging through Soviet archives, but I don't know how much he actually knew about ice hockey. In fact, Tarasov did implement the 1-2-2 system with the national team, most likely beginning in 1969 (though I have never seen a precise data for this switch), and it was, by all accounts, highly successful.

Second, what insight could Tikhonov have possibly had into the inner workings of Tarasov and Chernyshev's relationship on the national team? Tikhonov never played for Tarasov at the club or national team level, nor did he take over Tarasov/Chernyshev's team, but rather Kulagin's...a good half decade after the other two coaches had been dismissed. Tikhonov had, however, a strong personal relationship with Chernyshev, having played for him at Dynamo and later coached under him as an assistant there, and Tikhonov was notorious for "falsifying history" in order to make his narrative stick. Apparently, Tikhonov waged a "paper war" after the Lake Placid Olympics in order to shift all of the blame for the defeat onto the older generation of players (Petrov, Mikhailov, etc.), who he then began phasing out of the national team. We will see a description of this when the profile for Petrov is up.

Finally, Tikhonov was, by all accounts, a natural apparatchik - a creature of the Soviet bureaucracy described by (I believe it was) Larionov as a "hockey accountant", quite the opposite of Tarasov. Even if Tikhonov had some insight into the coaching of the national team under Tarasov (which I doubt), he would have had reason to slander the old man, anyway.

tl;dr - that thesis was well-researched but poorly informed about the product on the ice, and Tikhonov's opinion on a team he was never a part of is extremely suspect.

Sturminator

Love is a duel
Feb 27, 2002
West Egg, New York

Balderis was treated very, very poorly by Viktor Tikhonov - cursed at, punched, threatened with a stick, apparently over many years. Balderis had the unfortunate luck of coming up in Riga when Tikhonov was coach there, and so played under Tikhonov for the majority of his career. Tikhonov demanded that Balderis come with him to CSKA, which Balderis did not want to do, and they made a deal that Balderis would play for the Red Army until the 1980 Olympics, and then go home. After Lake Placid, Balderis called on Tikhonov to honor his end of the bargain, and the coach blacklisted him from the national team, only briefly recalling him after Balderis won the Soviet league scoring title again in Riga, and there was apparently an outcry to put him back on the national team.

It is certainly possible that Balderis' terrible treatment was the work of Tikhonov, alone, but I am not so sure, and the fact that a Russian site would apparently scrub Balderis from the history of Soviet hockey (though he is, at least, briefly mentioned in the Kapustin profile) suggests to me that certain "identity issues" were part of the conflict there. The Soviet hockey team was, for all intents and purposes, the Russian national team, and Balderis was an outsider in that system.

I have never heard, however, of Balderis getting a hard time from other players. In fact, I know that his moustache was considered a violation of protocol on the national team, and that his linemates Zhluktov and Kapustin wore moustaches of their own for a while in solidarity with Balderis.

tl;dr - Viktor Tikhonov was by most accounts a vile human being, and Balderis was probably his biggest victim. It is hard to know just how much of the problem was Tikhonov, himself, and how much of it was systematic discrimination, but given what a "good company man" Tikhonov obviously was, we have some reason to believe that his shabby treatment of Balderis' received at least tacit approval from the Soviet commissars of sport.

Theokritos

Global Moderator
Apr 6, 2010
First, the writer of that work apparently knew little about what was actually happening on the ice. Otherwise, he would have known that Chernyshev did not prevent Tarasov from implementing his "wilder flights of fancy" such as the 1-2-2 system, at the international level. The person who wrote that paper did a nice job of digging through Soviet archives, but I don't know how much he actually knew about ice hockey.

Can't argue with that, I got the same impression from the thesis.

In fact, Tarasov did implement the 1-2-2 system with the national team, most likely beginning in 1969 (though I have never seen a precise data for this switch)

From what I've read the "system" was first used in 1966-1967 with Ragulin as defenceman, Eduard Ivanov and Viktor Polupanov as midfielders and Firsov and Vikulov as forwards.

Second, what insight could Tikhonov have possibly had into the inner workings of Tarasov and Chernyshev's relationship on the national team?

Difficult to gauge from the outside.

Tikhonov was notorious for "falsifying history" in order to make his narrative stick.

Side note: That's something he's got in common with Tarasov who was a master of "paper wars".

Even if Tikhonov had some insight into the coaching of the national team under Tarasov (which I doubt), he would have had reason to slander the old man, anyway.

Why? Because their characters were so different?

Theokritos

Global Moderator
Apr 6, 2010
Balderis was treated very, very poorly by Viktor Tikhonov - cursed at, punched, threatened with a stick, apparently over many years.

No doubt, but I've got a hard time seeing an anti-Latvian attitude behind it. It's not as if Tikhonov treated Russian players any better if they offered opposition against the system/the coach like Balderis did.

the fact that a Russian site would apparently scrub Balderis from the history of Soviet hockey (though he is, at least, briefly mentioned in the Kapustin profile) suggests to me that certain "identity issues" were part of the conflict there.

I'd argue that the attitude of a Russian website towards Latvia/Latvians in the year 2010 (when the profiles were published) is not necessarily representative of the situation prior to the break-up of the Soviet Union, especially when you consider what has happened in the meantime (armed confrontations in 1991, Latvia joining NATO in 2004).

The Soviet hockey team was, for all intents and purposes, the Russian national team

First time I hear this really.

Sturminator

Love is a duel
Feb 27, 2002
West Egg, New York
From what I've read the "system" was first used in 1966-1967 with Ragulin as defenceman, Eduard Ivanov and Viktor Polupanov as midfielders and Firsov and Vikulov as forwards.

That was my impression, as well, but if you watch the 1968 Olympic match that I posted in this thread, the system was clearly not implemented in that game. The defensive pairings end up on the ice with each forward line at different points in the game, and Ragulin isn't playing especially deep, nor Ivanov especially high. It also now seems to be the case that it was Firsov and not Polupanov who was turned into the second midfielder on the original 5-man unit.

It's only one game, and maybe the system got thrown out of whack by Ivanov getting a 10 minute game misconduct early in that match...but I'm no longer so certain about that timeline (which was my earlier impression, as well).

I now suspect that it was first implemented at CSKA in the 1968-69 season. Firsov's scoring drops quite a bit from 1967-68 to 1968-69 and we also see some strangeness in the all-star voting pop up at this time - both Firsov and Alexandrov are 1st team all-stars in the Soviet league, and both are nominal LWs. Alexandrov was definitely a LW (will post something later which shows this), but Firsov may well have been playing the midfield by this point.

At any rate, I think the precise timing of the implementation of this system is still an open question.

Difficult to gauge from the outside.

The simple fact of the matter is that Tikhonov had no meaningful connection to the national team at the time Tarasov and Chernyshev were running it, but he did have a longstanding personal connection to Chernyshev. Tikhonov's opinion of how Tarasov/Chernyshev coached the Soviet national team interests me about as much as Mike Babcock's opinion of how Scotty Bowman coached the Red Wings...which is to say, very little.

It's a whole lot less relevant than the accounts of the people who were actually there, and the players on those teams are unanimous (as far as I know) in their description of Tarasov as the tactician or "brains" of the coaching staff.

Sturminator

Love is a duel
Feb 27, 2002
West Egg, New York
No doubt, but I've got a hard time seeing an anti-Latvian attitude behind it. It's not as if Tikhonov treated Russian players any better if they offered opposition against the system/the coach like Balderis did.

Larionov was known for being something of a free spirit who didn't get along well with Tikhonov, but he was never mistreated, as far as I know. Vasiliev choked Tikhonov on the flight home from Lake Placid, and remained on the Soviet national team for two more years.

I don't feel like arguing any more about Tikhonov. He just wasn't a part of the team about which he made those comments, which contradict every other account of the dynamics of the coaching staff at that time. I also don't consider him a trustworthy source, in general.

Sturminator

Love is a duel
Feb 27, 2002
West Egg, New York
I've been able to locate Soviet "top-34 players" data (sort of like a very loose all-star team) going back to the 1963-64 season. The translations here are simply what Google Translate spit out at me, but the material is simple enough that I don't think it matters (note: there is at least one wonky translation where the player's last name was close enough to a Russian word that the translation of that word was offered in English rather than an English version of the name...you will note the famous right wing D. Smoking).

Anyway, The root page for all this data is here. Just go into a single season, and click on the first link down the season page to drill down into the season results, which include the top-34 players results.

1963-64:

List of 34:

Goalkeepers:

V.Konovalenko ("Torpedo" Gorky), B.Zaytsev ("Dynamo" Moscow), V.Tolmachev (CSKA Moscow).

Defenders:

E.Ivanov (CSKA Moscow), A.Ragulin (CSKA Moscow), V.Kuzkin (CSKA Moscow), Davydov ("Dynamo" Moscow), O.Zaytsev (CSKA Moscow)

V.Zhidkov ("Torpedo" Gorky), V.Brezhnev (CSKA Moscow), V.Ispolnov ("Spartak" Moscow), A. Makarov ("Spartak" Moscow), B.Spirkin ("Lokomotiv" Moscow).

The right-wing wingers:

K.Loktev (CSKA Moscow), L.Volkov (CSKA Moscow), E.Mayorov ("Spartak" Moscow), S.Petuhov ("Dynamo" Moscow), V.Kozin ("Lokomotiv" Moscow), A.Striganov ( "Dynamo" Moscow), I.Dmitriev ("Wings of the Soviets" Moscow).

Center-forward:

V.Starshinov ("Spartacus", Moscow), V.Yakushev ("Lokomotiv" Moscow), V.Yurzinov ("Dynamo" Moscow), A.Almetov (CSKA Moscow), Yu.Paramoshkin (Elektrostal) V.Stain ("Dynamo" Moscow), A.Drozdov (CSKA Moscow).

The left wingers:

A.Firsov (CSKA Moscow), V.Aleksandrov (CSKA Moscow), B.Mayorov ("Spartak" Moscow), Yu.Volkov ("Dynamo" Moscow), Vik.Yaroslavtsev ("Spartak" Moscow), V.Tsyplakov ( "Lokomotiv" Moscow), Kyselyov ("Dynamo" Moscow).

1964-65:

List of 34:

Goalkeepers:

V.Konovalenko ("Torpedo" Gorky), V.Zinger ("Spartak" Moscow), V.Zubarev ("Chemist" Resurrection), S.Litovko (SKA Leningrad).

Defenders:

V.Kuzkin (CSKA Moscow), E.Ivanov (CSKA Moscow), A.Ragulin (CSKA Moscow), Davydov ("Dynamo" Moscow), V.Brezhnev (CSKA Moscow), O.Zaytsev (CSKA Moscow) V.Zhidkov ("Torpedo" Gorky)

I.Romishevsky (CSKA Moscow), Vladimir Nikitin ("Chemist" Resurrection), A. Makarov ("Spartak" Moscow), S.Petuhov ("Dynamo" Moscow), V.Ispolnov ("Spartak" Moscow).

The right-wing wingers:

K.Loktev (CSKA Moscow), A.Ionov (CSKA Moscow), L.Volkov (CSKA Moscow), A.Striganov ("Dynamo" Moscow), E.Mayorov ("Spartak" Moscow), Yu.Morozov ("Chemist "Resurrection).

Center-forward:

V.Starshinov ("Spartak" Moscow), A.Almetov (CSKA Moscow), V.Yakushev ("Lokomotiv" Moscow), E.Mishakov (CSKA Moscow), A.Yakushev ("Spartak" Moscow), V.Stain ( "Dynamo" Moscow).

The left wingers:

B.Mayorov ("Spartak" Moscow), V.Aleksandrov (CSKA Moscow), A.Firsov (CSKA Moscow), Yu.Moiseev (CSKA Moscow), Yu.Volkov ("Dynamo" Moscow), V.Tsyplakov ("Locomotive "Moscow).

1965-66:

List - 34's:

Goalkeepers:

V.Konovalenko ("Torpedo" Gorky), V.Zinger ("Spartak" Moscow), V.Zubarev ("Chemist" Resurrection), A.Pashkov ("Wings of the Soviets" Moscow).

Defenders:

A.Ragulin (CSKA Moscow), V.Kuzkin (CSKA Moscow), E.Ivanov (CSKA Moscow), Davydov ("Dynamo" Moscow), V.Brezhnev (CSKA Moscow)

O.Zaytsev (CSKA Moscow), I.Romishevsky (CSKA Moscow), V.Zhidkov ("Torpedo" Gorky), A. Makarov ("Spartak" Moscow), V.Blinov ("Spartak" Moscow).

The right-wing wingers:

K.Loktev (CSKA Moscow), V.Vikulov (CSKA Moscow), E.Zimin ("Spartak" Moscow), E.Mishakov (CSKA Moscow), Vladimir Nikitin ("Chemist" Resurrection), A.Striganov ("Dynamo "Moscow), V.Kozin (" Lokomotiv "Moscow).

Center-forward:

V.Starshinov ("Spartak" Moscow), A.Almetov (CSKA Moscow), V.Yakushev ("Lokomotiv" Moscow), V.Polupanov (CSKA Moscow), A.Ionov (CSKA Moscow), A.Motovilov ("Dynamo "Moscow).

The left wingers:

A.Firsov (CSKA Moscow), V.Aleksandrov (CSKA Moscow), B.Mayorov ("Spartak" Moscow), Yu.Moiseev (CSKA Moscow), V.Tsyplakov ("Lokomotiv" Moscow), Yu.Paramoshkin ("Dynamo "Moscow), V.Yaroslavtsev (" Spartak "Moscow).

1966-67:

List - 34's:

Goalkeepers:

V.Konovalenko ("Torpedo" Gorky), V.Zinger ("Spartak" Moscow), V.Tolmachev (CSKA Moscow), A.Pashkov ("Wings of the Soviets" Moscow).

Defenders:

Davydov ("Dynamo" Moscow), A.Ragulin (CSKA Moscow), V.Kuzkin (CSKA Moscow), O.Zaytsev (CSKA Moscow), E.Ivanov (CSKA Moscow)

Vladimir Nikitin ("Chemist" Resurrection), A. Makarov ("Spartak" Moscow), V.Blinov ("Spartak" Moscow), V.Merinov ("Lokomotiv" Moscow), V.Markov ("Dynamo" Moscow).

The right-wing wingers:

V.Vikulov (CSKA Moscow), V.Yaroslavtsev ("Spartak" Moscow), E.Zimin ("Spartak" Moscow), A.Striganov ("Dynamo" Moscow), B. Mikhailov ("Lokomotiv" Moscow), D. smoking (SKA Leningrad).

Center-forward:

V.Starshinov ("Spartak" Moscow), V.Polupanov (CSKA Moscow), A.Almetov (CSKA Moscow), V.Yakushev ("Lokomotiv" Moscow) A.Motovilov ("Dynamo" Moscow), Petrov ("Wings of the Soviets" Moscow), V.Shadrin ("Spartak" Moscow), V.Yurzinov ("Dynamo" Moscow).

The left wingers:

A.Firsov (CSKA Moscow), V.Aleksandrov (CSKA Moscow), B.Mayorov ("Spartak" Moscow), A.Yakushev ("Spartak" Moscow), I.Grigorev (SKA Leningrad), V.Tsyplakov ("Locomotive "Moscow).

1967-68:

List - 34's:

Goalkeepers:

V.Konovalenko ("Torpedo" Gorky), V.Zinger ("Spartak" Moscow), B.Zaytsev ("Dynamo" Moscow), V.Tolmachev (CSKA Moscow).

Defenders:

A.Ragulin (CSKA Moscow), Davydov ("Dynamo" Moscow), V.Kuzkin (CSKA Moscow), I.Romishevsky (CSKA Moscow), V.Blinov ("Spartak" Moscow)

O.Zaytsev (CSKA Moscow), V.Lutchenko (CSKA Moscow), V. Vasilyev ("Dynamo" Moscow), A. Makarov ("Spartak" Moscow), V.Brezhnev (CSKA Moscow).

The right-wing wingers:

V.Vikulov (CSKA Moscow), E.Zimin ("Spartak" Moscow), E.Mishakov (CSKA Moscow), B. Mikhailov (CSKA Moscow), V.Yaroslavtsev ("Spartak" Moscow), Vladimir Nikitin ("Chemist "Resurrection), A.Striganov (" Dynamo "Moscow).

Center-forward:

V.Starshinov ("Spartak" Moscow), V.Polupanov (CSKA Moscow), A.Ionov (CSKA Moscow), A.Motovilov ("Dynamo" Moscow), V.Yurzinov ("Dynamo" Moscow), V.Yakushev ( "Lokomotiv" Moscow).

The left wingers:

A.Firsov (CSKA Moscow), V.Aleksandrov (CSKA Moscow), B.Mayorov ("Spartak" Moscow), I.Grigorev (SKA Leningrad), Yu.Moiseev (CSKA Moscow), V.Tsyplakov ("Lokomotiv" Moscow ).

1968-69:

List - 34's:

Goalkeepers:

V.Zinger ("Spartak" Moscow), V.Puchkov ("Motorist" Sverdlovsk), N.Tolstikov (CSKA Moscow);

Right-back:

A.Ragulin (CSKA Moscow), V.Kuzkin (CSKA Moscow), A.Sapelkin ("Chemist" Resurrection), A. Makarov ("Spartak" Moscow), V.Migunko ("Spartak" Moscow), V. Vasilyev ( "Dynamo" Moscow);

Central defenders:

Davydov ("Dynamo" Moscow), I.Romishevsky (CSKA Moscow), E.Poladev ("Spartak" Moscow), V.Lutchenko (CSKA Moscow), V. Kuzmin ("Spartak" Moscow), V.Brezhnev ( CSKA Moscow);

The right-wing wingers:

B. Mikhailov (CSKA Moscow), V.Vikulov (CSKA Moscow), E.Zimin ("Spartak" Moscow), A.Yakushev ("Spartak" Moscow), I.Samochernov ("Dynamo" Moscow), A.Sakeev ( "Dynamo" Moscow), Yu.Moiseev (CSKA Moscow);

Center-forward:

V.Starshinov ("Spartak" Moscow), Petrov (CSKA Moscow), A.Maltsev ("Dynamo" Moscow), V.Shadrin ("Spartak" Moscow), E.Mishakov (CSKA Moscow), V.Yurzinov ( "Dynamo" Moscow);

The left wingers:

A.Firsov (CSKA Moscow), V.Harlamov (CSKA Moscow), B.Mayorov ("Spartak" Moscow), Yu.Reps ("Dynamo" Moscow), A.Martynyuk ("Spartak" Moscow), I.Grigorev ( SKA Leningrad).

1969-70:

List - 34's:

Goalkeepers:

V.Zinger ("Spartak" Moscow), V.Konovalenko ("Torpedo" Gorky), V. Tretyakov (CSKA Moscow), V.Shepovalov (SKA Leningrad).

Defenders:

V.Brezhnev (CSKA Moscow), V. Vasilyev ("Dynamo" Moscow), Davydov ("Dynamo" Moscow), V.Kuzkin (CSKA Moscow), V.Lutchenko (CSKA Moscow), Yu.Lyapkin ("Chemist "Voskresensk)

V.Migunko ("Spartak" Moscow), Vladimir Nikitin ("Chemist" Resurrection), E.Poladev ("Spartak" Moscow), A.Ragulin (CSKA Moscow), I.Romishevsky (CSKA Moscow).

The right-wing wingers:

Yu.Blinov (CSKA Moscow), V.Vikulov (CSKA Moscow), V.Zhuchok ("Chemist" Resurrection), E.Zimin ("Spartak" Moscow), A.Martynyuk ("Spartak" Moscow), B. Mikhailov ( CSKA Moscow), E.Mishakov (CSKA Moscow).

Center-forward:

A.Maltsev ("Dynamo" Moscow), Petrov (CSKA Moscow), V.Polupanov (CSKA Moscow), S.Soloduhin (SKA Leningrad), V.Starshinov ("Spartak" Moscow), A.Fedotov ("Torpedo "Gorky), V.Shadrin (" Spartak "Moscow).

Leftists, extreme naladayuschie:

V.Gureev ("Spartak" Moscow), A.Syrtsov ("Chemist" Resurrection), A.Yakushev ("Spartak" Moscow), A.Firsov (CSKA Moscow), V.Harlamov (CSKA Moscow).

1970-71:

List - 34's:

Goalkeepers:

V. Tretyakov (CSKA Moscow), V.Shepovalov (SKA Leningrad), V.Zinger ("Spartak" Moscow), V.Konovalenko ("Torpedo" Gorky).

Right-back:

V.Kuzkin (CSKA Moscow), G.Tsygankov (CSKA Moscow), A.Ragulin (CSKA Moscow), V.Egorov (SKA Leningrad), Nazarov ("Dynamo" Moscow).

Central defenders:

V.Lutchenko (CSKA Moscow), Davydov ("Dynamo" Moscow), I.Romishevsky (CSKA Moscow), Yu.Lyapkin ("Chemist" Resurrection), V.Orlov ("Dynamo" Moscow).

The right-wing wingers:

V.Vikulov (CSKA Moscow), Vladimir Mikhailov (CSKA Moscow), A.Martynyuk ("Spartak" Moscow), E.Zimin ("Spartak" Moscow), V.Zhuchok ("Chemist" Resurrection), Yu.Chichurin ( "Dynamo" Moscow), A.Mishin ("Torpedo" Gorky).

Center-forward:

A.Maltsev ("Dynamo" Moscow), Petrov (CSKA Moscow), V.Shadrin ("Spartak" Moscow), E.Mishakov (CSKA Moscow), V.Starshinov ("Spartak" Moscow), A.Motovilov ( "Dynamo" Moscow), V.Soloduhin (SKA Leningrad).

The left wingers:

V.Harlamov (CSKA Moscow), A.Firsov (CSKA Moscow), A.Syrtsov ("Chemist" Resurrection), A.Yakushev ("Spartak" Moscow), Yu.Glazov (SKA Leningrad), A.Kartaev ("Tractor "Chelyabinsk).

After this point, I believe arthur chidlovski's site lists the data for the rest of the 1970's, so I haven't taken the time to dig it up and post it here.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

A few comments on the above:

- are the players listed by position in order of merit??? It certainly looks that way.

- Boris Mayorov is consistently listed here as a left wing, not a right wing, as he is listed in the ATD. Have we been screwing up his position all these years...mixing it up with that of his brother, Evgeni? It seems to be the case.

- if Mayorov was, in fact, a left wing (and I think he probably was), there was quite a logjam at left wing in the Soviet league in the 1960's...Firsov, Alexandrov and Mayorov were arguably the three best forwards for much of that time...all playing the same position.

- Vyacheslav Starshinov is listed here as a center in every season, including the year (1969-70) where he is assigned the LW all-star position by our accounting here at hfboards because he was listed first among the all-stars at forward by that French site. I think it is quite likely that Starshinov never played the left wing.

Theokritos

Global Moderator
Apr 6, 2010
the material is simple enough that I don't think it matters (note: there is at least one wonky translation where the player's last name was close enough to a Russian word that the translation of that word was offered in English rather than an English version of the name...you will note the famous right wing D. Smoking).

"D. Smoking" is Dmitriy Kopchenov.

Another note: The translator turns "V.Nikitin" into Vladimir Nikitin when in fact his name was Valeriy Nikitin.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad