Twenty years of Soviet Hockey: 1962 - 1982 (Index of player profiles in OP)

VMBM

And it didn't even bring me down
Sep 24, 2008
Helsinki, Finland
Very interesting information on Mikhailov, Petrov and Kharlamov. Some of it was familiar, since I have Kharlamov's autobiography (in Finnish), but there are a lot of new quotes etc for me too.

These pieces of information further emphasize the matter that I've been wondering a long time; Boris Mikhailov was a unique as a Soviet player in the sense that he was such a late bloomer, and maybe this applies to other countries' players too, although e.g. Phil Esposito had a somewhat similar career path. It really seems that the year 1972 and the 1972-73 season was very crucial to Mikhailov (and probably Petrov too), even though he had had some good seasons prior to that also. Namely, if Mikhailov (and Petrov) would not have been reunited with Kharlamov on CSKA Moscow's and the national team's top line, would he have been just another Mishakov, or maybe more probably a Vikulov or a Kapustin in Soviet hockey history? It's possible that I'm selling him a bit short there, though, and that the move was inevitable really. Firsov was aging and had been dropped from the national team, and despite his early shortcomings, there arguably was no better center on CSKA than Petrov. Plus Vikulov's failure at the 1972 Summit Series was probably another factor, and so Mikhailov was finally seen as CSKA's - if not quite yet the Soviets' - best right winger. However, I can't help wondering what would have happened if CSKA had, for example, acquired Aleksandr Maltsev from Dynamo Moscow in 1972... Maybe not the most realistic scenario in the world, but anyway...

Whatever the case, Mikhailov certainly made the best of the situation, and, FINALLY, he became a superstar at 28/29 and remained that until 34/35, basically until he retired. Still, I have to say that these quotes reassert my unwawering belief that Valeri Kharlamov was easily the best player of the three. I do think that in 1977-79/80, especially Mikhailov and (although SPOTY/Golden Stick voting doesn't always support that) even Petrov were better and more important players than Kharlamov, especially on the national team, but it doesn't close the gap that Kharlamov attained in 1969-1976.

BTW, I'm writing a piece on the 1979 Challenge Cup, with emphasis on the Soviet team and lines, and with lots of video clips. It was an interesting series also concerning the Kharlamov-Petrov-Mikhailov line - despite Kharlamov being injured already late in the first game - since I think the 1978-79 season was their last truly great one. Hopefully I get it done by the next week.

Theokritos

Global Moderator
Apr 6, 2010
Slightly eery: Kharlamov and his wife and her cousin were killed in a car crash on August 27th 1981. What happened? Their car collided with a truck. The very day before, August 26th, Larry Robinson "narrowly escaped serious injuries" in an accident in Montreal. What happened? His car collided with a truck. (Montreal Gazette)

Theokritos

Global Moderator
Apr 6, 2010
I don't have time to do full-flight biographies/careerographies this year, so I'll just dump short entries from the 1977 Hockey Handbook on players not yet covered by my previous posts here. Note that the source is, obviously, a bit biased in favour of Soviet players respectively tends to paint the players' accomplishment in a glowing light.

Vsevolod Bobrov (*1922):
"Outstanding Soviet hockey and football player. Captain of the national team in both sports. He was distinguished by exceptional natural motor skills, virtuoso technique, amazing tactical thinking. He had the most accurate and strong shot, natural dekes, cunning dribbling, constant focus on the opponents' goal."

Nikolay Sologubov (*1924):
"The strongest defenceman in the history of Soviet hockey. Could do almost everything. Had an advanced tactical outlook, was excellent on his skates, was quick and agile and possessed a variety of technical skills. One of the first players in our country who made skillful use of the bodycheck. Perfectly interacted with his defensive partner Ivan Tregubov. Able to take charge of the game in any situation. Successful in the attack, he even played center forward for one season. Enjoyed unquestioned authority with players and coaches. Captain of CSKA and the Soviet national team for many years."

Yury Lyapkin (*1945)
"Despite being somewhat soft and not very fast, he has become one of the best defencemen in our country by virtue of his fine puck handling skill and his tactical outlook. A master of improvisation in the game. Cleverly connects to the attack and completes it with his effective shots."

Gennadi Tsygankov (*1947)
"One of the best defenders of our country in the 70s. A fast and courageous player who boldly blocks shots, fights to the end at the boards and is always ready to help his partner. Very good at taking the puck away from the opponent."

Vladimir Lutchenko (*1949)
"One of the best defencemen in our hockey. The most reliable, composed and hard-to-play against guy on the defence of the Soviet national team. A model of consistency, he stays in top form throughout the entire season. In addition to his purely defensive qualities, he also has a well-placed long-range shot in his arsenal."

Valery Vasilyev (*1949)
"One of the best defenceman in Soviet and international hockey. Physically strong and very composed, he skates and moves well, is perfect one against one and connects to the attack skillyfully. His sense of the game and a polished pass allowed him to initiate sharp counterattacks."

Viktor Shalimov (*1951)
"Light-footed and elegant, but at the same time a versatile player who plays with equal success on any forward position. Excellent stickhandler and a master at both passing and scoring himself."

Vladislav Tretyak (*1952)
"The strongest goaltender in modern world hockey. Enjoys high popularity in all hockey nations. Has an exceptional drive and doesn't have any weakness in his preparation. Equally good on the goal line and coming out of the goal. Particularly strong in 'close combat', in turning aside shots from point-blank range, in one against one situations. Amazes experts with the consistency in his game and his work ethic in training."

Helmuts Balderis (*1952)
"A venturesome player who dares to take charge of the game. A scorer."

Sergey Kapustin (*1953)
"Technical, cunning and fast. Has a fine sense of the game. Always driving towards the goal."

Zinetula Bilyaletdinov (*1955)
"One of the most talented young defenders of the 70s. Very mobile, plays a selfless game. Good physical play. Has a fighting character."

Last edited:
Reactions: ImporterExporter

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->