Proposal: TVR for Tyler Johnson

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
His possession numbers playing on the third pairing...cool...stop talking. You are making us all look bad.
He destroyed his third pairing ice time like a man against boys. And at the very least he’s a better Hedman partner than dotchin and Girardi since he doesn’t have to be completely babysat and isn’t a slowpoke. And it alleviates the Johnson cap issue and removes the only below average defensive player from our top-9.

Spazkat

Feb 19, 2015
How so?
TVR>Larsson
Johnson<<<<<<Hall

I'm trying to convince myself that you just forgot the sarcam emoji and aren't actually that bad at player valuation. Larsson might not have been worth Hall but he's generally accepted to be a good #2. TVR is .... not

Quote all the possession stats you want but good stats in your current spot doesn't usually translate to the same stats in an expanded role.

DistantThunderRep

Mar 8, 2018
He destroyed his third pairing ice time like a man against boys. And at the very least he’s a better Hedman partner than dotchin and Girardi since he doesn’t have to be completely babysat and isn’t a slowpoke. And it alleviates the Johnson cap issue and removes the only below average defensive player from our top-9.
There is no proof TVR will be better with increased ice time, Johnson produces exactly like he is supposed to. He isn't supposed to be our defensive forward, he is supposed to put up 40-50 points a season, and show up in the playoffs. You are just digging you heels in the sand because your feelings are hurt that not a single person on this planet agrees with your asinine assumption and deduction that TVR is a #3 defensemen in the NHL. I don't ever block anyone on HF, getting different points of view are great, but yours are straight out idiotic so, congrats on being the first ban on my account.

VoluntaryDom

Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
I'm trying to convince myself that you just forgot the sarcam emoji and aren't actually that bad at player valuation. Larsson might not have been worth Hall but he's generally accepted to be a good #2. TVR is .... not

Quote all the possession stats you want but good stats in your current spot doesn't usually translate to the same stats in an expanded role.
Larsson had bloated qot as well last season, seemingly played a lot wth McDavid

VoluntaryDom

Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
There is no proof TVR will be better with increased ice time, Johnson produces exactly like he is supposed to. He isn't supposed to be our defensive forward, he is supposed to put up 40-50 points a season, and show up in the playoffs. You are just digging you heels in the sand because your feelings are hurt that not a single person on this planet agrees with your asinine assumption and deduction that TVR is a #3 defensemen in the NHL. I don't ever block anyone on HF, getting different points of view are great, but yours are straight out idiotic so, congrats on being the first ban on my account.
Very mature, blocking someone for a dissenting opinion

VoluntaryDom

Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
Yeah no way larsson’s 2.7 xGF/60 isn’t a product of McDavid, even Larson’s biggest fans would not call him great offensively

VoluntaryDom

Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
TVR:

2016-17 in Chicago:

52.52% xGF%, +4.78 rel

2017-18 in Carolina:

54.78%, +3.39

This is a player who has had two straight seasons as a very good possession player in minutes that weren’t really very sheltered.

God King Fudge

Championship Swag
Oct 13, 2017
Advanced stats are nice, but sometimes you need to actually watch the player and but just look at a spreadsheet.

VoluntaryDom

Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
Advanced stats are nice, but sometimes you need to actually watch the player and but just look at a spreadsheet.
Actually watching, Johnson looks useless a significant portion of the time when he’s not scoring. And TVR is a steady presence who makes few mistakes and is always a net positive on the ice. Of course, when Johnson is scoring he’s great.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009

This kid just reads advanced stats raw without applying any context, I mean I'd give him a break considering he just found out what a spreadsheet what last year but the guy keeps spewing nonsense. To think he couldnt get any worse.

Reactions: Starat327

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Johnson is so small and so over paid and so injury prone.

Tell me leafs fan, what is the going rate for a 50 point center that had 42 points in 47 playoff games before he signed his contract? C'mon back up that statement, how is he "so overpaid" and by how much?

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
Tell me leafs fan, what is the going rate for a 50 point center that had 42 points in 47 playoff games before he signed his contract? C'mon back up that statement, how is he "so overpaid" and by how much?
What he once was isn't what he is now.

puckIuck

Jan 11, 2018
I thought Johnson was going to be the next st louis in 2015 but it turned out that wasn't the case. bad trade for carolina

VoluntaryDom

Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
This kid just reads advanced stats raw without applying any context, I mean I'd give him a break considering he just found out what a spreadsheet what last year but the guy keeps spewing nonsense. To think he couldnt get any worse.
I’m applying the context of tyjos role which is why his defense imo isn’t as bad as the numbers make it look. Still the worst defensive forwards in our top 9 though, we have strong defensive forwards in it

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad