Rumor: TVA Lavoie Reporting Markov wants 2 years

Status
Not open for further replies.

void

Jan 5, 2006
Would it be possible that Markov will finally sign with a KHL team ? In Moscow area ?

His new wife is Russian, right ?

He possibly wants to play at the next Olympic ?

He loves more Putin than poutine !

Markov leaving the NHL 10 games before hitting 1000 games would be devastating.

V13

Fire Sell Tank
Sep 21, 2005
M1 Habsram
Would be funny if Markov pulled a Raymond Bourque and signed with Washington or Nashville.

Nashville would be something. More than half of their D corps would be former Habs (Subban , Emelin , Markov , Y Weber)

Josi , Subban , Ellis , Ekholm , Markov , Emelin/Weber. That's a killer D

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
I do not understand how having 9M in cap space is an asset, when you have a player like Plekanec that makes 6M a season. He has a cap hit in the top50 in the NHL. The Habs need maybe 2-3M in cap space, plus getting rid of Plekanecs in the event the Habs obtain a center in a trade... Which doesn't even include the salary of the player going the other way in a trade for said center.

Signing Markov to a 1 year 6M salary does nothing to hurt the Habs flexibility to acquire a center. None.

A center? Who said MB was looking for a center? He needs to keep that cap space in case some 3rd pairing dmen or bottom 6 players would be available at the deadline.

Ohashi_Jouzu*

Apr 2, 2007
Halifax
So Markov got hit in the face by reality. What is stopping the Habs and Markov on agreeing to a one year deal?

What do we need Plekanec for when we ice Danault and Mitchell?

Well, so far while icing all 3 of those guys, Plekanec has still been the best of them - in both directions on the ice... even/especially in the playoffs... by far, even.

S Bah

Nov 7, 2010
victoria bc
Truly can't wait for next season's Habs, Andrei is enjoying his family time, leave him alone, he's earned it All these yrs.!!!...:nod::nod::nod:

S Bah

Nov 7, 2010
victoria bc
Did I miss something? Did something happen?

Did we sign Markov and a top C? Time to go back 3 pages in this thread.

Usually I would go back to read at this point or possibly eat my words, but hardly a 100th of a second on that. Markov likes to have his space. Leave him to enjoy his summer with family, no concerns have I to his allegiance or the Habs to him.:nod::nod::nod:

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
So Markov got hit in the face by reality. What is stopping the Habs and Markov on agreeing to a one year deal?

What do we need Plekanec for when we ice Danault and Mitchell?

When is this acquisition going to happen for this C? July, August, September, October, November, December... You get the idea. Will you be happy starting 2017-2018 with almost 9M of unused cap space? You really want to have a discussion about how this cap space will make this team better in the eventuality that MB FINALLY figures out a way to upgrade this team at center.

I don't buy any of your arguments. Plekanec can be packaged at worst with a 2nd round pick and MB can retain 3M in salary, so with signing Markov for 6M, he still has 6M in salary cap space for the year.

So many options can be done when you have players. When you have cap space, you have nothing but dreams and wishful thinking.

Literally no one was talking about cap space as being an asset before Bergevin botched the Radulov negotiation. Everyone had admitted the premise of the argument that if we lost Radulov without a replacement, we'd be in trouble. Arguing that cap space with nothing to spend it on is an asset is the latest feat of mental gymnastics that Bergevin's mismanagement has made necessary.

I'm with you: the existential purpose of cap space is to be used on players. It should be used on the best players available, and if not used, it's wasted. Even with Markov, we were looking for a top pairing LD to play with Weber to improve our team. Radulov leaving, and Drouin coming in is likely a wash. We're supposed to be happy with losing those two for Hemsky and the prospect of maybe, someday, spending more assets on a mystery box center who even this strategy's proponents admit will not be a top center?

Is anyone really convinced by this reasoning?

Bloumeister

Meister Mojo Rising
Apr 30, 2010
Planet Of Sound
twitter.com
It's more believable than that clearly altered photo with Gorges as the Rockets captain!

Some legends never die. :laugh:

Blast from the past:

8388074494_9459eddaa1.jpg

;)

CrAzYNiNe

who could have predicted?
Jun 5, 2003
Montreal
Well, so far while icing all 3 of those guys, Plekanec has still been the best of them - in both directions on the ice... even/especially in the playoffs... by far, even.

and? I have a hard time understanding that because it's what the Habs have done in the passed, it should continue to be done in the future. How can so many be ready to move on from Markov, yet you are not alone in your thoughts of the utility of Plekanec.

If MB does exactly what I am most worried about, nothing to address the center position this year, then sure keeping Plekanec will be necessary as the Habs center depth is weak. However signing Markov should be a very important on MB list of things to do this summer. Saving the cap space for some fairy tale deal is stupid. Should that fairy tale come true, Plekanec is an easy drop.

Literally no one was talking about cap space as being an asset before Bergevin botched the Radulov negotiation. Everyone had admitted the premise of the argument that if we lost Radulov without a replacement, we'd be in trouble. Arguing that cap space with nothing to spend it on is an asset is the latest feat of mental gymnastics that Bergevin's mismanagement has made necessary.

I'm with you: the existential purpose of cap space is to be used on players. It should be used on the best players available, and if not used, it's wasted. Even with Markov, we were looking for a top pairing LD to play with Weber to improve our team. Radulov leaving, and Drouin coming in is likely a wash. We're supposed to be happy with losing those two for Hemsky and the prospect of maybe, someday, spending more assets on a mystery box center who even this strategy's proponents admit will not be a top center?

Is anyone really convinced by this reasoning?

It's becoming increasingly difficult to follow a team that chooses to follow a path that I believe to be one of futility. I just don't see this roster on paper and get excited. I feel that the players coming in and the players going out our not a significant upgrade. Some will point out other franchises, but I really don't care about them. I want to see a Habs GM with a clear plan to make this team better. When you listen to him talk and say Galchenyuk isn't a center... Then trades for Drouin, who is not more of a center himself, he's not big, he's not defensively responsible, he hasn't played much center in his life. So we are left with Danault and Plekanec again? I would imagine we see Galchenyuk at center because of the lack of center depth, or maybe Shaw is one of those centers. 3 centers, with a max output of maybe 40 points...

Cap space doesn't help this franchise in any way, unless they want to offer sheet someone. If he isn't offer sheeting, sign Markov ASAP.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Cap space doesn't help this franchise in any way, unless they want to offer sheet someone. If he isn't offer sheeting, sign Markov ASAP.

Actually, cap space can come in handy on a trade. When taking on a pricey contract, you will give less assets in return. however, this requires having cap space.

Examples could be Bozak, Jeff Carter, Jordan Staal. There are probably others. Bergevin would need to smoke out the GM willing to trade expensive quality for less expensive values.

Byron got 43 points and costs $1.17M for 2 years. Maybe he only gets 35 points next year or maybe he does it again. But a team that is paying someone $6M for 40-45 points might be interested in gaining cap space at possibly no on-ice cost.

Other GMs use this strategy at times and find great deals. Look at how New Jersey bagged Marcus Johannson for only picks!

I'm afraid Bergevin is not savvy enough to pull these kinds of deals off, though.

CrAzYNiNe

who could have predicted?
Jun 5, 2003
Montreal
Actually, cap space can come in handy on a trade. When taking on a pricey contract, you will give less assets in return. however, this requires having cap space.

Examples could be Bozak, Jeff Carter, Jordan Staal. There are probably others. Bergevin would need to smoke out the GM willing to trade expensive quality for less expensive values.

Byron got 43 points and costs $1.17M for 2 years. Maybe he only gets 35 points next year or maybe he does it again. But a team that is paying someone $6M for 40-45 points might be interested in gaining cap space at possibly no on-ice cost.

Other GMs use this strategy at times and find great deals. Look at how New Jersey bagged Marcus Johannson for only picks!

I'm afraid Bergevin is not savvy enough to pull these kinds of deals off, though.

I personally don't think it would be that difficult to find a home for Plekanec. If a deal is being worked out, everything can follow. I take it we are talking about a mid season trade, which would certainly mean some team in the NHL may be desperate for a center if one of theirs gets injured.

But it all comes down to what you end your post with. MB will not get anything done... So have 9M in cap space gives the Habs nothing.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
If we don't sign Markov, what are thoughts on Depres? I know he was highly touted and didn't play last year which makes him a Bergevin bargain bin special of a player in that he's a big mobile LD who can play with Weber.

Honestly, I don't know enough about him and his skill set to know if he'd be a good fit with Weber.

Thoughts from a more informed poster???

Bieber fever

Mar 7, 2010
Westmount
If we don't sign Markov, what are thoughts on Depres? I know he was highly touted and didn't play last year which makes him a Bergevin bargain bin special of a player in that he's a big mobile LD who can play with Weber.

Honestly, I don't know enough about him and his skill set to know if he'd be a good fit with Weber.

Thoughts from a more informed poster???

Depres wont play in the nhl again. He has some serious side effects from his last concussion. Sad story

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
Markov leaving the NHL 10 games before hitting 1000 games would be devastating.

Devastating for who? He's got millions, a hot wife, a rock star lifestyle, a job that pampers you 24/7 and one of the beset pensions in the world to boot. So how on earth would that be devastating? Lets bring it back down to earth here.

deandebean

Jan 14, 2003
Gatineau
Visit site

Cap space during summer is good to have. Cap space during the season is pretty much worthless, as not many big trades happen from Oct to the weeks before trade deadline. There used to be some interesting ones earlier on, but they are pretty rare these days.

So, in essence, Bergevin has less than two months to figure things out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->