TV Ratings: America’s Got Talent beats Baseball ASG

razor ray

May 8, 2011
Fox’s coverage of the Major League Baseball All-Star Game, which once upon a time used to draw well north of 35 million (!) total viewers, this Tuesday averaged 8.7 million viewers and a 2.2 demo rating (per finals), down 20 and 29 percent from 2015’s final numbers to mark all-time lows.

Last edited:

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
I'm surprised 8.7M watched it.

Looking at the rosters for the game, I never heard of any of the players except Trout and Pujols.

razor ray

May 8, 2011

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
True....but the All Star game had 35 mill viewers and is now just under 9.

yeah, 40 years ago when you only had 3 networks to choose from. Everything has ratings that are a fraction of what they used to be.

for perspective, the MLB all star game is the highest rated of the Big 4 all star games.

SCBlueLiner

Dec 27, 2013
Too bad, a lot of people missed out on a fun game to watch. I thoroughly enjoyed it. There are a lot of young new stars in the game with great personalities. Average age of the all-star players was right around 25. The league is getting a lot younger.

Reactions: AtlantaWhaler

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
I watched the game too. Was a fun game. These days with so much to watch and people even cutting cable ratings aren't what they once were. 8.7 million is still a respectable #.

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
yeah, 40 years ago when you only had 3 networks to choose from. Everything has ratings that are a fraction of what they used to be.

for perspective, the MLB all star game is the highest rated of the Big 4 all star games.

Then why are the NFL and NBA not in similar state of decline? The decline of MLB from it's peak in 1986, is really something to behold. It used to compete with football as America's past time. Now, it can't even hold a candle to the NBA. Pretty soon the NHL will eclipse it. Baseball is dying in America.

Reactions: Melrose Munch

McDonald19

Sep 9, 2003
California
Then why are the NFL and NBA not in similar state of decline? The decline of MLB from it's peak in 1986, is really something to behold. It used to compete with football as America's past time. Now, it can't even hold a candle to the NBA. Pretty soon the NHL will eclipse it. Baseball is dying in America.

Not sure about that. Hockey is still way below baseball in the pecking order.

LeftWingLocked

Feb 24, 2018
I hate baseball but a league that has revenues of over $10 billion and has increased it's revenues for the last 15 years straight is not in a decline.

Melrose Munch

Mar 18, 2007
I have to agree. It seems like Manfred is stuck.
I hate baseball but a league that has revenues of over $10 billion and has increased it's revenues for the last 15 years straight is not in a decline.
The NBA is going to pass the MLB in revenue within 5 years.

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
You keep saying the same thing about MLS passing the NHL and they're still not close.
Apples and Oranges.

The NBA gets higher ratings than the MLB. I'm not too familiar with the aspects of the business side of MLB, but my guess would be that having 50,000 seat stadiums, and playing 81 home games/season would produce more revenue than playing at a 17,000 seat arena for 41 nights a year. I'm not sure about the TV contracts of each respective league. I will have to look into that.

All I know is that a study was done just after the Expos left for Washington. It was found that MLB really had nowhere else to go, as it had maximized all sources of revenue, and with franchise values for MLB teams higher at the time, the original plan was to contract Montreal and Milwaukee, since there was literally no interest from other markets wanting to move the clubs. Compare that to the NBA and NHL, where there were always potential markets to turn to after a franchise was willing to relocate.

Reactions: Melrose Munch

AdmiralsFan24

Mar 22, 2011
Wisconsin
Apples and Oranges.

The NBA gets higher ratings than the MLB.

The NBA got 1.28 million viewers on average for their national broadcasts and MLB got 996,000. Fairly even and considering gets fairly exclusive games for national TV it's probably even closer and MLB might have the lead.

For example. When the NBA has games on TNT those are pretty much the only games on that night. Might have one or two more but usually no more than that. MLB has two games on Fox this weekend, Astros at Angels and Cardinals at Cubs. These games start at 7:15 Eastern time. There are 10 games that are going to overlap those national TV games. Do you think Braves and Nationals fans or Dodgers and Brewers fans or Padres and Phillies fans are going to tune into those national TV games when their teams are playing at the same time?

There are 11 games overlapping the ESPN game on Monday. No fans outside of Diamondbacks or Cubs fans are going to watch that game unless their team is off. That's where the NBA gets the ratings advantage. They don't play basically every day so they can schedule around national TV games to get maximum exposure. MLB can't do that.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas

umm, what?

NFL ratings dropped 9% from 2017 to 2018, and are down 19% from 2015. It's literally one of the biggest stories in the league, try Google.

From '87 to '97, the NBA Finals pulled 25-29 million viewers
The last 4 years they've gotten 12, 12, 9 and 14 million viewers

want to try again?

Melrose Munch

Mar 18, 2007
You keep saying the same thing about MLS passing the NHL and they're still not close.

Apples and Oranges.

The NBA gets higher ratings than the MLB. I'm not too familiar with the aspects of the business side of MLB, but my guess would be that having 50,000 seat stadiums, and playing 81 home games/season would produce more revenue than playing at a 17,000 seat arena for 41 nights a year. I'm not sure about the TV contracts of each respective league. I will have to look into that.

All I know is that a study was done just after the Expos left for Washington. It was found that MLB really had nowhere else to go, as it had maximized all sources of revenue, and with franchise values for MLB teams higher at the time, the original plan was to contract Montreal and Milwaukee, since there was literally no interest from other markets wanting to move the clubs. Compare that to the NBA and NHL, where there were always potential markets to turn to after a franchise was willing to relocate.
The NBA got 1.28 million viewers on average for their national broadcasts and MLB got 996,000. Fairly even and considering gets fairly exclusive games for national TV it's probably even closer and MLB might have the lead.

For example. When the NBA has games on TNT those are pretty much the only games on that night. Might have one or two more but usually no more than that. MLB has two games on Fox this weekend, Astros at Angels and Cardinals at Cubs. These games start at 7:15 Eastern time. There are 10 games that are going to overlap those national TV games. Do you think Braves and Nationals fans or Dodgers and Brewers fans or Padres and Phillies fans are going to tune into those national TV games when their teams are playing at the same time?

There are 11 games overlapping the ESPN game on Monday. No fans outside of Diamondbacks or Cubs fans are going to watch that game unless their team is off. That's where the NBA gets the ratings advantage. They don't play basically every day so they can schedule around national TV games to get maximum exposure. MLB can't do that.
NBA TV deal: How the new $24B contract stacks up against other leagues | CBC Sports

The TV contracts. My question is why FOX would renew the MLB contract rather then bid for the NHL contract, consider they could get similar ratings at a lower cost. Don't see how the MLB can demand more given the ratings decline as @Jets4Life mentioned.

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
umm, what?

NFL ratings dropped 9% from 2017 to 2018, and are down 19% from 2015. It's literally one of the biggest stories in the league, try Google.

From '87 to '97, the NBA Finals pulled 25-29 million viewers
The last 4 years they've gotten 12, 12, 9 and 14 million viewers

want to try again?

How about you do some research into this. MLB has lost about 2/3 of it's audience since it's heyday 30 years ago. As for the NBA, you cannot cherry pick stats. During the Chicago Bulls run, the NBA did their highest ratings ever, but historically, today's ratings have been better than the previous decade.

As for your claim that the NBA finals "pulled in 25-29 million viewers?"

Here are the actual viewership averages from 1987-97:

1987: 24.1 million
1988: 21.7 million
1989: 21.3 million
1990: 17.2 million
1991: 23.9 million
1992: 20.8 million

1993: 27.2 million
1994: 17.3 million
1995: 20.1 million
1996: 24.9 million

1997: 25.6 million

source: NBA Finals TV Ratings, 1974-2008

Next time use real statistics, not made up ones. Now go to your room without supper, young man. :mad:

SCBlueLiner

Dec 27, 2013

Correct. To get accurate numbers you need to add up every set of eyeballs in the country that are watching an MLB game in a day. Sure, the National number might not look good, but you also need to add in the number for every game held that day on RSN's all over the country and the MLB Network show that night. It happens all the time that I will be watching a Twins game on FSN while there is a nationally broadcast game on ESPN, and then there is also a game or MLB Tonight live look-ins on the MLB Network. Thing is, I'm not really a Twins fan, my favorite team is the Cubs, and I had probably spent that day at work listening to the Cubs game on the radio. Tons of baseball fans still listen to the radio call of their favorite team, and streaming has made that possible. Total consumption numbers for baseball are staggering, I bet.

It's the same principle that needs to be applied when comparing CFB to NFL numbers. If you add up the numbers for every game broadcast on a Saturday along with the attendance figures of the P5, G5, and even FCS schools, the number of people watching or attending a football game on Saturday absolutely dwarfs the NFL's Sunday numbers.

The two biggest sports going in the USA in terms to total eyeballs watching and attendance are the MLB and CFB, and it's really not even close. Pointing at some rating for a nationally televised game is not looking into this deep enough.

cutchemist42

Apr 7, 2011
Winnipeg
I mean, it is probably true that locally the NBA might suffer in some markets.

The NBAs appeal is that its a drama filled soap opera amongst the 4 best teams. For casuals that drive national ratings, its great stuff.

However,its easy to sport how many teams darken the broadcasts and hide the stands when the teams outside of that are playing.

I woulf bet top to bottom MLB locql ratings are stronger than their NBA equivalents.

LeftWingLocked

Feb 24, 2018
People are underestimating the sheer volume of tickets sold and the local tv deals. A lot of baseball teams are making more than $50 mil a year from just their local RSN contract. A small market like the Kansas City Royals are looking at getting $70 mil a year for their new tv deal. Big markets are getting well over $100 mil. Everyone is looking at national tv ratings but the real money is with local tv and radio deals. Baseball is not dying.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
Basketball is made for national TV to be honest. Everyone knows who the best teams and best players are, so it's easily marketed and easily finds its audience. But NBA local ratings continue to be worse than local baseball ratings in spite of the fewer games. They tend to only do okay if the team is super successful and/or it's a single team market like OKC or San Antonio.

I think baseball finds it much easier to build up a strong and enduring presence in a community because it is so locally focused and transcends demographic barriers more easily than other sports. But it is seriously deficient as a national broadcast product, and in the era of myriads of leisure time choices - and the generations used to life without those dying off - it's gonna show in numbers.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad