TV-Pucken 2018 - Pre Talk

PuckPoise

May 25, 2011
I have wondered this for many years now, so i have to ask
what is tv-pucken ? - exactly - (sure i could google it...but i'd rather not)
How,when did it start? Has this junior tournament thingamabob always been called tv-pucken?
(no need to translate tv-pucken btw. :) )

It's a classic youth tournament (started in 1959) where all the different regions put together their best U16 players and compete against each other. 99% of pro players have gone through this tournament with their district and it's a huge thing that every kid strives to play in.

Obviously the TV part of it was a big thing way back when those were the only youth/junior games on TV at all and Swedish TV didn't get more than two channels, now you can stream any game for these kids but the status of the tournament is still intact.

For prospect nerds it's also a fun event since it's mostly kid you've never seen play before and often it's the first introduction of the young prospects to the hockey world, more or less.

pn27

Mar 16, 2018
Örebro
TV-Pucken Play Off is starting up within a week.
Looking forward to a great Tournament in Östergötland.

My reflections after been watching these Tournaments and League games Live this season:
U16 Norrcupen, TV-Pucken Kval Östersund, Distriktsturneringen Åkersberga-Sthlm and DIF U16 Elit Cup + a lot of Friendship Games, J18 Elit Norra and U16 Elit Norra League Games.

And after watching TV-Pucken Kval in Slite, Gotland and other District Tournaments and League Games at the streaming site: Svenskhockey.tv
I think these Teams are favorites in the Groups and will move ahead to the Quarterfinals.

Group A
Favorites:
1. Göteborg
2. Skåne

Comments: Many people talks about Group C, as the toughest Group.
This Group can even be tougher....
Skåne and Göteborg has great Teams and can go all the way.
Gästrikland and Dalarna has both really good skilled Teams.
Gästrikland = Brynäs IF U16 Elit Team, has done great results so far in the U16 League.

Group B
Favorites:
1. Ångermanland
2. Örebro

Comments: A really open group.
Värmland and Småland has always good Teams and will give Ångermanland and Örebro a tough
fight about the Quarter Final spots.
Ångermanland has played well in all Pre-Tournaments and looks strong as Team without shining stars.
Örebro, is a big and heavy Team and has showed good results so far.

Group C
Favorites:
1. Stockholm Nord
2. Uppland

Comments: A really tough and open Group.
Uppland and Sthlm Nord has the best Team Rosters in this Group player by player.
Stockholm Syd and Medelpad is both hard working Teams and will not be easy to beat.
Looking forward to watch the Game between Sthlm Nord vs. Sthlm Syd.
What a thriller....

Group D
Favorites:
1. Västerbotten
2. Östergötland

Comments: The weakest Group Team by Team.
I think that Västerbotten will win this Group easily with their speed.
Östergötland as Home Team will have a great support from the fans in the Arenas and has more quality players than Västmanland and Södermanland.
So they should together with Västerbotten advance to the Quarter Finals.

My Team Rankings:

++++
Göteborg (A Group)
Skåne (A Group)
Stockholm Nord (C Group)
Västerbotten (D Group)

+++
Gästrikland (A Group)
Dalarna (A Group)
Ångermanland (B Group)
Örebro (B Group)
Värmland (B Group)
Småland (B Group)
Stockholm Syd (C Group)
Uppland (C Group)
Medelpad (C Group)

++
Östergötland (D Group)
Västmanland (D Group)
Södermanland (D Group)

A lot of nerves and pressure will be on all Teams and players as always in TV-Pucken.
The Coaches/Teams/players that can handle this situation best, will have a great chance to win their games.
And the games is only played 2 x 20 min, so one mistake can be fatal for a game.
Some Teams will not manage to be favorites, and can´t handle this pressure.
Injuries and sickness on HQ players, also effects the level of the Teams.
So this ranking and reflections could be totally wrong after summarizing TV-Pucken 2018.

Anyway, I think that the Final will be played between Göteborg against Västerbotten.

pn27

Mar 16, 2018
Örebro
I think that Skåne has a better Team than Göteborg in the Group A.
Skåne have much more players, playing in the J18 Elit League compared to Göteborg.
Frölunda has no competition at all in the U16 Elit Södra League.
It could be the weakest U16 Elit League in Sweden.
How developing is it for the Frölunda Team (Göteborg) and players to win by 10-1 every second game?
I think that Skåne will beat Göteborg, and end up in at least a Bronze Game in TV-Pucken.
Gästrikland, Uppland, Stockholm Syd and Ångermanland is the biggest outsiders among mentioned favorite Teams.
The D Group in TV-Pucken will be a walk in the park for Västerbotten.
Ranking of the Teams is only depending on last years results.
That is the main reason, why some of the best TVP Teams never survive the Group Games.
Not good at all, I hope that SIF will do something about this in the future.
I am absolutely convinced that the TV-Pucken Tournament should be moved to the spring after U16 SM, so it won´t collide with the League season.
That would be the absolute best time to play this Tournament.

Last edited:

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
Frölunda has no competition at all in the U16 Elit Södra League.
It could be the weakest U16 Elit League.
How developing is it for the Frölunda Team to win by 10-1 every second game?

I'm actually almost 100% sure I heard Fredrik Sjöström in an interview say that Frölunda would get rid of their U16 team. So far it hasn't happened, they still bring in kids from around the country which I'm not a big fan of.

Reactions: pn27

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
It's a classic youth tournament (started in 1959) where all the different regions put together their best U16 players and compete against each other. 99% of pro players have gone through this tournament with their district and it's a huge thing that every kid strives to play in.

Obviously the TV part of it was a big thing way back when those were the only youth/junior games on TV at all and Swedish TV didn't get more than two channels, now you can stream any game for these kids but the status of the tournament is still intact.

For prospect nerds it's also a fun event since it's mostly kid you've never seen play before and often it's the first introduction of the young prospects to the hockey world, more or less.

Thank you so much from this. - tack så mycket -

MODO Hockey

Aug 21, 2015
HockeyNews - TV-Pucken

Very good information about the tournament!

For example Skåne coach says they have better team this year, than last year.

He also said that their group is brutal and called it top-4 best team in TV-Pucken all time, in the same group, lol.

Which of course is total bullshit, but maybe he keeps his team on their toes with lies like that, or save his own ass if they not make the playoffs, lol.

Well, at least Dalarna is top-4 all time (tied with Ångermanland) with 6 titles, so they deserved it.

Skåne (3 titles), Göteborg (2 titles) and Gästrikland (1 title) are definitely not.

Last edited:

pn27

Mar 16, 2018
Örebro
Results from TV-Pucken Preparation Games this weekend:

Värmland - Västmanland 2 - 4
Stockholm Nord - Gästrikland 1 - 2
Södermanland - Uppland 3 - 1
Dalarna - Stockholm Syd 6 - 4

MODO Hockey

Aug 21, 2015
Liam Dower Nilsson is ass. captain for Göteborg this year, last year he represented Västergötland, don't like it.

Same situation with Calle Clang last year, playing for Blekinge as underaged then changed to Skåne and was their absolute key player to win the tournament.

It was another situation with their best defenseman, Kalle Bartholdsson, who couldn't represent Halland (no team), which I understand better.

I shouldn't take anything from Skåne, they won all their games last year and was the best team.

But maybe they should have been called Skåne/Halland/Blekinge last season ;) Bartholdsson & Clang was both extremely important and when the TV-Pucken qualification started this players hadn't played a game for Rögle, or another club in Skåne.

MODO Hockey

Aug 21, 2015
Greger Artursson Jr. (Alexander) representing Värmland this year, it would be pretty fun if Wikegård has to comment this guy in the future :)

"Artursson scores", "Artursson decides for FBK", "Artursson put it low, between leg guards", lol.

Seiza

Feb 28, 2002
Sweden

Is that fact or just you just generalizing? I believe that about 90% of current NHL Swedes played the tournament and 80% of the SHL players.

But the important question regarding this tournament is, how many players have we lost along the way because they didn't get to play tv-pucken. I believe it's quite a lot and that tv-pucken has a negative effect on Swedish hockey.

MODO Hockey

Aug 21, 2015
Results from TV-Pucken Preparation Games this weekend:

Värmland - Västmanland 2 - 4
Stockholm Nord - Gästrikland 1 - 2
Dalarna - Stockholm Syd 6 - 4

Group A (Skåne, Göteborg, Gästrikland, Dalarna) gonna be fun, lol.

Västmanland won everything in their qualification group, just lost one point against Örebro Län, and now beat Värmland, that's not bad.

Södermanlands coach sounds pretty optimistic, interesting to see Lova Blom, probably playing 2nd or 3rd center, according to their coach.

MODO Hockey

Aug 21, 2015
Is that fact or just you just generalizing? I believe that about 90% of current NHL Swedes played the tournament and 80% of the SHL players.

But the important question regarding this tournament is, how many players have we lost along the way because they didn't get to play tv-pucken. I believe it's quite a lot and that tv-pucken has a negative effect on Swedish hockey.

Of course generalizing, all players born 1993 (if they didn't played as underaged) missed TV-Pucken too.

Interesting subject, it's many players, but what happened if u took away TV-Pucken? It's a very motivating goal for kids too, and for Swedish Icehockey Federation it's a good thing to look over the talentmarket, before they should take out players to the coming U16 National Team.

Hoglunder

Jan 5, 2016
Which players should you keep an eye on this year? Any standouts from the 03 or 04 class?

JimboA

Dec 9, 2012
Sweden
Which players should you keep an eye on this year? Any standouts from the 03 or 04 class?
Among 04’s, Elias Salomonsson and Filip Bystedt are two players that are already up in J18 Elit and produce. But of course, if you’re that young, chances are that you belong to a local team that plays in U16/J18 Div. 1/2, so it’s hard to get a good picture of the class at that age.

03’s, Simon Robertsson is producing well but other than that I don’t know much. Maybe Anton Olsson and Oskar Jellvik? I’d also like to hear from someone with more knowledge...

Last edited:

MODO Hockey

Aug 21, 2015

Lova Blom (Södermanland), only player with a U18 WC-medal, also three Stålbucklan tournaments, she stands out.

Simon Robertsson (Västerbotten), maybe? Olsson, Johnsson & Stjernborg (Skåne) was good already last year. Dower Nilsson (Göteborg) had most points by underaged players last time, playing for Västergötland.

Rosén (Dalarna) made 13 points/5 matches in qualification, also his teammates Eljas (9 points) and Öhman (8 points) did well, all three played last year too.

Gustav Karlsson (Örebro Län) 8 points, Noel Edfeldt (Medelpad) 7 points, Simon Lindblom (Västmanland) 6 points, Simon Forsmark (Örebro Län) 6 points & Lucas Lidström (Västmanland) 4 points, there u have top-5 defenseman in points, from qualification.

Viggo Olsson and Theo Angesved (Småland) did well last year, Ludwig Persson, Filip Maniscalchi and underaged Otto Stahre (Göteborg) was very good in DIF Elitcup this autumn.

Noah Hasa and Erik Fernhall (Göteborg) are two good players, captain and ass. captain this year.

Oskar Jellvik (Stockholm Nord) has started well in J18, always some good players from Stockholm, but haven't follow them so much, no one played last TV-Pucken either.

Västerbotten, Ångermanland, Gästrikland, Stockholm, Uppland and some other teams and names have already been mentioned in this thread.

Last edited:

HockeyOlle

Mar 12, 2018
Umeå
Yesterday evening Västerbotten played against Ångermanland in Skellefteå.
Ångermanland won by 1-2 (3 x 20 min) in a really tight game.
Both Teams goalies played great.
Ångermanland has a good Team without shining stars and will be tough to beat in TV-Pucken.
Västerbotten can play better, especially the top players.

Medelpad also played yesterday against Njurunda SK J18 and won by 9-1.

Reactions: MODO Hockey

MODO Hockey

Aug 21, 2015
Yesterday evening Västerbotten played against Ångermanland in Skellefteå.
Ångermanland won by 1-2 (3 x 20 min) in a really tight game.
Both Teams goalies played great.
Ångermanland has a good Team without shining stars and will be tough to beat in TV-Pucken.
Västerbotten can play better, especially the top players.

Medelpad also played yesterday against Njurunda SK J18 and won by 9-1.

I think Ångermanland has good potential if they can get the group together, without shining stars it maybe can be easier, everyone has to pitch in and work hard.

MODO won DIF Elitcup this autumn and that say something, from that team Helmer Styf (born 2004) will be missing, but instead all three captains (Hildebertzon, Näsström and Persson) together with Wikner and some other good players from Sollefteå and Kramfors comes in, deep looks pretty good.

MODO Hockey

Aug 21, 2015

Fabian Lysell (Göteborg), when I mentioned so many Gothenburg players of course he would be there too, and Edvinsson was already lifted I think.

PuckPoise

May 25, 2011

Generalizing. Of course there are Stockholm kids who fall through the cracks because of stiff competition and the politics/preferences involved from each district. And a late bloomer here and there of course. Point was to show an outsider that it's not just a prestigious competition with some good players every, it's that *more or less* everyone good goes through it.

I agree on the later part but there will be a cutoff between playing for fun and playing to be a pro at some point. The one thing they could do is to move it even further ahead but they still want it to be a showcase for "medium talent" for the big clubs. Of course the so called stars are noticed way before this for the clubs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->