OT: TV options for 2018 season

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
What are the best options for watching all senators games on a TV?
Been out of the tv loop for a while. Looking for cheap option. Don’t need any other channels but senators.

Suggestions?
Does a PS4 help?
How about a family member with cable subscription to sports channels?
Do the sportsnet and tsn apps let you watch games?

Last edited:

Joeyjoejoe

Dec 18, 2015
If you have a Rogers subscription, you automatically get a free NHL GameCenterLive subscription, but depending where you are located the Ottawa Senators games will be blacked out. If that's the case then you will need a VPN.
The cheapest option will be through Reddit/NHLstreams but that's yeah a hit and miss.
PS4 would help since you can get the Rogers NHL Gamecenter app on the console and you can use the web browser for the Reddit streams.
I don't think the PS4 has the TSN Sports App that lets you watch with a subscription. Only the Xbox one has that app.
Yes Sportsnet and TSN Apps lets you watch the games.

slamigo

Skate or Die!
Dec 25, 2007
Ottawa
A lot of VPN solutions don't work with many geo-locating platforms anymore. I was a cord cutter for many years and finally caved and got Bell Fibe when it came to my area. Watching in 4K UHD is nice.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
Getting an Android TV box like the Nvidia Shield or the much cheaper Miibox is the best solution for full streaming whether we're talking about "illegal" streams (which I won't mention as per site rules) or legitimate streams such as Sportsnet Now or TSN Go.

If you have a close friend or family member who is willing to let you mooch off of their cable subscription, you can use their Rogers or Bell logins to watch TSN or Sportsnet online.

danielpalfredsson

Aug 14, 2013
R
If you have a Rogers subscription, you automatically get a free NHL GameCenterLive subscription, but depending where you are located the Ottawa Senators games will be blacked out. If that's the case then you will need a VPN.
The cheapest option will be through Reddit/NHLstreams but that's yeah a hit and miss.
PS4 would help since you can get the Rogers NHL Gamecenter app on the console and you can use the web browser for the Reddit streams.
I don't think the PS4 has the TSN Sports App that lets you watch with a subscription. Only the Xbox one has that app.
Yes Sportsnet and TSN Apps lets you watch the games.

Rogers no longer provides a free game center subscription.

danielpalfredsson

Aug 14, 2013
So with the nhl app I can only watch out of market games no?
(Gonna be from Carleton place)

To watch the Sens you either need a cable/sattelite subscription, or a subscription to both TSN Direct and Sportsnet Now which you can get without cable. Both cost 25 bucks, which means depending on what kind of cable or sattelite deal you can get, it might not be that much cheaper than just getting the cheapest cable package with Sportsnet+TSN.

You can get CBC, and depending on your area/setup City TV with an over the air antenna. Antennas can be had ad cheap as 5-10 bucks. This can get you some Saturday HNIC games for free in HD. During the playoffs, this is a great way to watch since most of it is shown on CBC. You can also potentially get CTV which shows NFL in Canada.

The jist of it is that there's no legal/non-loop hole way to watch every Sens game for any less than 50 bucks a month.

emo

Aug 25, 2003
Cap City
Visit site
It's nice that TSN has finally joined Sportsnet in allowing people to subscribe to their channels digitally. Live sports is the major reason I still have cable TV. I do like PVRing games so I can watch after my girls are in bed. Does anyone know a way to PVR the TSN and Sportsnet streams so I could continue watching later if I cancelled my cable?

Samboni

Jan 26, 2014
Looking at the team territory/blackout map, I’m supposed to be in the Leafs @ Jets shares territory. Thankfully, the folks at Expressvu can’t read maps cause I get all 3 teams. :)

CTC

Oct 9, 2014
What are the best options for watching all senators games on a TV?
Been out of the tv loop for a while. Looking for cheap option. Don’t need any other channels but senators.

Suggestions?
Does a PS4 help?
How about a family member with cable subscription to sports channels?
Do the sportsnet and tsn apps let you watch games?

I just dealt with this 3 hours ago surprisingly!

A PS4 does not help, I cut my cable this past April and there was no way using that route.

You can use a family members login on a PC/Laptop and HDMI connect to your TV or Smart Browser. I do that time to time.

The TSN/Sportsnet apps only let you watch if you either pay for their service but are expensive or if you have a family member's login.

My solution:

I am with Bell for my internet. 1GB/DL -Unlimited Loyalty program $75.00/month.
So if you are with Bell you can sign up for Bell Alt TV. Works with a 25mb connection and unlimted DL.

Costing me $16.00/month and I get:

Basic HD
CTV/CBS/ABC/NBC/FOX/GLOBAL/CBC/CITY/CTV2/PBS/YES/Tv1/OMNI(1/2)/APTN/CHCH/TFO/TVO/UNIS/ONT PARL/WEATHER/CPAC/AMI (audio-tv)/CBC (french)/TV5/TVA + CraveTV

A la Carte HD
TSN1-5/SPORTSNET E-W

You sign in to their app and can cast on to your TV or sign in on a PC/laptop & watch there or Stream over HDMI to your TV.

I really cannot complain at all about the cost for what I am getting. There is no PVR though...so it's like watching TV live ala old days lol.

danielpalfredsson

Aug 14, 2013

A PS4 does not help, I cut my cable this past April and there was no way using that route.

You can use a family members login on a PC/Laptop and HDMI connect to your TV or Smart Browser. I do that time to time.

The TSN/Sportsnet apps only let you watch if you either pay for their service but are expensive or if you have a family member's login.

My solution:

So if you are with Bell you can sign up for Bell Alt TV. Works with a 25mb connection and unlimted DL.

Basic HD
CTV/CBS/ABC/NBC/FOX/GLOBAL/CBC/CITY/CTV2/PBS/YES/Tv1/OMNI(1/2)/APTN/CHCH/TFO/TVO/UNIS/ONT PARL/WEATHER/CPAC/AMI (audio-tv)/CBC (french)/TV5/TVA + CraveTV

A la Carte HD
TSN1-5/SPORTSNET E-W

You sign in to their app and can cast on to your TV or sign in on a PC/laptop & watch there or Stream over HDMI to your TV.

I really cannot complain at all about the cost for what I am getting. There is no PVR though...so it's like watching TV live ala old days lol.

That's a pretty good deal all things considered. I didn't realize Bell was offering that kind of service.

OmniSens

@OmniSenators
Sep 22, 2008
Ottawa
So with the nhl app I can only watch out of market games no?
(Gonna be from Carleton place)
I think your internet provider still has to be Rogers for that. Or, if you have Bell, you can watch the games directly off of the TSN.ca website.

Icelevel

Sep 9, 2009
Thanks everyone. It’s still not simple to figure out.

But I have sportsnet now on the PS4 so I assume I’m ok for sportsnet games which is less than 30 of them (?)
Unfortunately it looks like tsn gonis only available in the Xbox and not PS4. Otherwise I would just get that and sign up if needed.

I emailed tsn about offering the app on PS4 but don’t expect much of a reply. Why can’t they just make it easy and make it available for the PlayStation??

Icelevel

Sep 9, 2009

My solution:

Basic HD

A la Carte HD
TSN1-5/SPORTSNET E-W

I guess that bell alt tv wouldn’t work for me if I don’t have bell but my family does eh? I don’t know what the bell alt tv is. Required a box? Online?

Edit: looks like alt tv is not available at my new Carleton place location anyway.

Last edited:

18Hossa

And Grace, Too
Oct 12, 2012
Thanks everyone. It’s still not simple to figure out.

But I have sportsnet now on the PS4 so I assume I’m ok for sportsnet games which is less than 30 of them (?)
Unfortunately it looks like tsn gonis only available in the Xbox and not PS4. Otherwise I would just get that and sign up if needed.

I emailed tsn about offering the app on PS4 but don’t expect much of a reply. Why can’t they just make it easy and make it available for the PlayStation??
You could probably use the ps4’s browser to load TSN’s website and stream from there. Idk if it works or not but you could try that.

Icelevel

Sep 9, 2009
You could probably use the ps4’s browser to load TSN’s website and stream from there. Idk if it works or not but you could try that.
I’m pretty sure you can’t video or audio stream from the PS4 browser. Will double check though.

branch

#GirlBoss #Vibes
Jan 12, 2008
Yeah I recently re-upped for a decent package with Rogers. And the older I get the more I cannot f***ing stand commercials. I would get an Apple TV but the GF requires Food Network and I don't think that is available as an app :(. The Formula 1 TV service isn't in Canada yet for some reason either :( :(

Reactions: Ray Kinsella

Icelevel

Sep 9, 2009
So there are different ways to go with apps or cable providers.
Maybe we can get a list going or people post what their set up is for all senators games on television (not really interested in watching on laptop/other) and what the cost is?

Lenny the Lynx

Sep 20, 2008
ON

My solution:

Basic HD

A la Carte HD
TSN1-5/SPORTSNET E-W

I dont want to burst your bubble, but a couple of things I want to share from my own experience using Alt TV over the past year or so:

1. You CANT cast it to your TV
- They have disabled casting in their app, on purpose, because they are Bell. This includes chromecast and all apple tv except the 4th generation (which has an app for Alt TV apparently).
- Your options to connect are HDMI from computer or 4th gen apple tv app. I have 2 of the 3rd gen apple tvs so its pretty annoying.

2. Quality is an issue, which is definitely on their side so you can't do anything about it:
- I have very fast internet and a new and very powerful gaming laptop. It runs everything beautifully.
- Everytime I use Alt TV to stream sports, I end up fairly quickly switching to an illegal stream. It gets pixelly, pauses to buffer, times out. This happens literally every time and is worse for more popular events like world juniors etc.
- Case in point, I had people over to watch the super bowl last year and we missed the last 5 minutes of the game because Alt TV timed out and couldnt reconnect. It turned back on after the game was over. Luckily we aren't really NFL fans, it was absurd.

I still have this because its part of a package but I'm not planning on relying on this for the NHL season. I used gamecentre for years and it was way more reliable and higher quality (but I live out of market, i know thats not an option for many).

CTC

Oct 9, 2014
I dont want to burst your bubble, but a couple of things I want to share from my own experience using Alt TV over the past year or so:

1. You CANT cast it to your TV
- They have disabled casting in their app, on purpose, because they are Bell. This includes chromecast and all apple tv except the 4th generation (which has an app for Alt TV apparently).
- Your options to connect are HDMI from computer or 4th gen apple tv app. I have 2 of the 3rd gen apple tvs so its pretty annoying.

2. Quality is an issue, which is definitely on their side so you can't do anything about it:
- I have very fast internet and a new and very powerful gaming laptop. It runs everything beautifully.
- Everytime I use Alt TV to stream sports, I end up fairly quickly switching to an illegal stream. It gets pixelly, pauses to buffer, times out. This happens literally every time and is worse for more popular events like world juniors etc.
- Case in point, I had people over to watch the super bowl last year and we missed the last 5 minutes of the game because Alt TV timed out and couldnt reconnect. It turned back on after the game was over. Luckily we aren't really NFL fans, it was absurd.

I still have this because its part of a package but I'm not planning on relying on this for the NHL season. I used gamecentre for years and it was way more reliable and higher quality (but I live out of market, i know thats not an option for many).

So I was really worried about this, I mean what's to say they don't just throttle me into frustration in order to get me to just sign up for a cable package anyways.
But the rep had said that I could cast from my phone to the chromecast, now you have made me rethink it. The whole point was to be able to watch sports again...I do not want to worry about buffering and server crashes.

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
Former Bell subscriber, Roger's just offered me/my area, unlimited top internet, standard cable with all the sports channels + pvr and home phone for $99 per + tax....im in month 3 and have had no issues, Bell couldn't come close to that when I called to cancel/allow them to match. West end of Ottawa

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->