TV: Official Petition To Bring Back Bobby "The Chief" Taylor / Fire Brian Engblom

BohemianRhandomly

Nov 3, 2014
Section 128
What the Chief brought was an "Us versus Them" mentality that I sorely miss. He wasn't an observational analyst like Engblom, you could feel what was happening out on the ice by both what he said, and how he subcommunicated it. I learned to hate or love certain players through him, or feel the momentum/what was happening in the game by how he acted. I remember coming home, turning on the television, and knowing something was amiss the night Stamkos broke his leg, simply by hearing the tonality of his voice.

I'm not the type of guy who wants to just see a play happen and acknowledge it, I want to experience it through the eyes of the play by play guy and color analyst. It's that type of empathy that Engblom lacks. You don't have to be a blind homer, but I want to experience a full range of emotions during a game from the point of view of my team. Also, I don't want to see Engblom go, he brings a lot of insight and is good, but he needs to add this element.

Well said. That's the thing: Engblom can analyze with the best of them, but he lacks a crucial human element that a lot of people now miss. I think what I'd like to see from him is not necessarily homerism, but at least a sense that he's invested in the Lightning and their success, and I have yet to feel that from him. He's so carefully neutral that it comes across as somewhat unnatural, given that so many of us - as passionate fans - tend to feel emotional involvement during the games. There's a disconnect there.

In previous seasons, I always disliked when our games were broadcast on national networks rather than Sunsports precisely because the extreme neutrality was boring to me. It was always a welcome relief to me when the next game was aired, and we had our own local commentators back, who actually cared if we won or how our players fared. This year, with Engblom's influence, it's almost as if every game is on national television. :shakehead Just doesn't feel the same.

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
Thanks guys, glad to see I share others sentiment in this. Personally, I've only ever cheered for the Lightning, and the Chief has been there the entire time. So yeah, I miss him. However, I'm also willing to entertain the idea that he wasn't the best, and give Engblom a chance to grow on me.

Now, someone who I'm willing to stuff petition boxes to get axed is Paul Kennedy. I have chronic disdain for his interviews and analysis.

CarpeNoctem

Chilling w The Chief
Oct 29, 2013
In The Night
Well said. That's the thing: Engblom can analyze with the best of them, but he lacks a crucial human element that a lot of people now miss. I think what I'd like to see from him is not necessarily homerism, but at least a sense that he's invested in the Lightning and their success, and I have yet to feel that from him. He's so carefully neutral that it comes across as somewhat unnatural, given that so many of us - as passionate fans - tend to feel emotional involvement during the games. There's a disconnect there.

In previous seasons, I always disliked when our games were broadcast on national networks rather than Sunsports precisely because the extreme neutrality was boring to me. It was always a welcome relief to me when the next game was aired, and we had our own local commentators back, who actually cared if we won or how our players fared. This year, with Engblom's influence, it's almost as if every game is on national television. :shakehead Just doesn't feel the same.

Well said, sir. It feels much the same to me. He's like a commentator robot, no real feeling.

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
Thanks guys, glad to see I share others sentiment in this. Personally, I've only ever cheered for the Lightning, and the Chief has been there the entire time. So yeah, I miss him. However, I'm also willing to entertain the idea that he wasn't the best, and give Engblom a chance to grow on me.

Now, someone who I'm willing to stuff petition boxes to get axed is Paul Kennedy. I have chronic disdain for his interviews and analysis.

That interview of JT Brown for Black History Month was cringe-inducing.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Yeah - Chief wasn't a color analyst as much as a good buddy I was having a beer with while watching the game.

Edit: And I love that.

BoltSTH

Sep 4, 2008
Tampa
Anyone else notice Englebore said the the word that should never be uttered a couple of games a go, and said 'shutout' with 3 minutes to go, and Bam! 20 seconds later they scored. Like a MLB announcer saying a pitcher is working on a no hitter, or an actor naming the "Scottish Play". Never til the fat lady has sung.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Anyone else notice Englebore said the the word that should never be uttered a couple of games a go, and said 'shutout' with 3 minutes to go, and Bam! 20 seconds later they scored. Like a MLB announcer saying a pitcher is working on a no hitter, or an actor naming the "Scottish Play". Never til the fat lady has sung.

Yeah that pissed me off. I was watching with my wife and said "****... they jinxed it."

Callum

Jun 8, 2012
Melbourne, Australia
As much as I love Bobby, I don't want him back with Peckham. And as for Engblom, he's far to dry.

This is the first season of hockey that I frequently prefer listening to other teams broadcasting crews.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
Boy I'll tell ya what, I gotta say I sure miss TJ Brown, Andrei Polat and Vladimir Klavestikov, errr excuse me Vladilsav Nametstikov.

ArmaHedman

Nov 30, 2006
Sarasota, FL
The ship has sailed on Chief coming back. I wish would but its not gonna happen and at his age I do not blame him one bit to not want to travel for all those games.

Done with Englebloom though.

Would like to give Kevin Weekes a try. He is decent on NHL Network, has good insight, member of the goalie union etc.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad