OT: TV & Movie Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Miamipuck

Al Swearengen
Dec 29, 2009
Take a Wild Guess
GF and I have been running through The Americans. Through 2.5 seasons. Excellent show.

Hell On Wheels is not my all time favorite show but in my book quite easily captures the title of “most underrated” of the last decade or so. Post Civil War Western centered on the construction of the transcontinental RR. High production value, intriguing time period / subject. Anson Mount and Common are excellent.

And anyone who likes food shows @Edge @Gardner McKay check out Ugly Delicious on Netflix if you haven’t already.

Hell on Wheels is pretty good, I enjoyed the show. However, comparing the time frame of the show to a show from a similar period, Deadwood, HOW pales in comparison. I guess that's the problem I had with the show. There's a show from a similar time frame, similar type story, turning wilderness into civilization etc that blows it away. That doesn't make HOW bad, I guess that it was done so much better already.

Miamipuck

Al Swearengen
Dec 29, 2009
Take a Wild Guess
Yet to watch Fargo S3.

Imo Fargo S2 was marginally better than 1. Billy Bob's performance was one of the GOAT but I thought S2 had 6-7 actors with great performances. Not on Billy Bob's level but a tier below it. Patrick Wilson, Ted Danson and Kirsten Dunst all killed it but Jeffrey Donovan and Nick Offerman are the 2 standouts. My favorite was the guy that played Hanzee Dent. The ultimate badass.

I agree with you, season 2 was fantastic. BBT carried season 1, there were some other good performances but he was fantastic. Season 2 just was a bit better for me because the ensemble cast was a bit better. I didn't enjoy season 3 nearly as much as the other 2. Although, the villain in s3 was pretty damn good.

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway

Any like to speculate on a new Mission Impossible movie? :)

Nevermind it will be out 2018 next month, Fallout. )

Last edited:

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Alas....Survivor. About the one reality show I watch nowadays. But Survivor was and remains my guilty pleasure.
Haha same with me! Been watching it for almost 18 years...only reality show I watch and will continue to watch. Going to be a sad day when Probst retires.

will1066

Fonz Drury
Oct 12, 2008
Finished watching A Quiet Place. Inventive high-concept horror--even if most people ignore or don't know that Pitch Black kind of did the creatures-that-hunt-through-sound thing previously. The movie was pretty good overall, with a great start, a good middle, and a so-so ending. Top-notch creature effects.

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
Hell on Wheels is pretty good, I enjoyed the show. However, comparing the time frame of the show to a show from a similar period, Deadwood, HOW pales in comparison. I guess that's the problem I had with the show. There's a show from a similar time frame, similar type story, turning wilderness into civilization etc that blows it away. That doesn't make HOW bad, I guess that it was done so much better already.

So you're saying I should watch Deadwood? Somehow have never queued it up after all these years.

Reactions: Miamipuck

Deleted member 23124

Deadwood was excellent. Oliphant is good as always, but I've been mesmerized by Ian McShane for some time now...he does wonders with a "dastardly dude" role (especially in Pillars of the Earth).

Finally started watching Preacher and I 've come to agree it's worth the hype.

Miamipuck

Al Swearengen
Dec 29, 2009
Take a Wild Guess
So you're saying I should watch Deadwood? Somehow have never queued it up after all these years.

If you liked Hell on Wheels absolutely yes. Deadwood is grittier, better acted and better written by an order of magnitude. The problem with Deadwood is all the cussing. I think that turns people off, if you get past it, the dialogue is amazing. It's my favorite TV show ever. I absolutely love it. Al Swearengen is up there in the top 2-3 tv characters ever.

Doctor King Schultz

Garian Maborik
May 3, 2012
NYC
If you liked Hell on Wheels absolutely yes. Deadwood is grittier, better acted and better written by an order of magnitude. The problem with Deadwood is all the cussing. I think that turns people off, if you get past it, the dialogue is amazing. It's my favorite TV show ever. I absolutely love it. Al Swearengen is up there in the top 2-3 tv characters ever.
Going into Deadwood you should know it got prematurely cancelled so it does not have a satisfactory ending. Great show though. I gave up on Hell on Wheels on the second to last season. Deadwood is a lot better.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Topic: Any shows that's been out for awhile that for some reason you can't get to for whatever reason?

My list includes The Wire, The Walking Dead and Handmaid's Tale

Bob Richards

Mr. Mojo Risin'
Feb 9, 2011
Jersey
The Food Network. Not just one particular show either. As a matter of fact, I think that is the only reason we still have cable. My wife and I spend TONS of time watching it.

Lmao when my buddies and I are out on vacation we can burn quite a bit of time watching The Food Network as a pregame before we hit the bars.

The shows and hours themselves feel like they start to meld and become indistinguishable after awhile :laugh:

Reactions: Gardner McKay

will1066

Fonz Drury
Oct 12, 2008
Anyone watched The Leftovers on HBO? From Damon Lindelof. Lasted three seasons but what awesome, memorable television.

Regarding TWD:

Early on, TWD was good when it generally followed the comic but existed on its own, with good storytelling and good acting. Show jumped the shark since, by relying too close to the comic book material and when the characters' became too comic book. But with Carl Grimes written off the show and now Andrew Lincoln leaving as Rick, plus a new showrunner, it has a chance to veer away from the comic book source material and really exist on its own merits again.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jabroni

The People's Champ
Jun 1, 2008
Anyone watched The Leftovers on HBO? From Damon Lindelof. Lasted three seasons but what awesome, memorable television.

Early on, TWD was good when it generally followed the comic but existed on its own, with good storytelling and good acting. Show jumped the shark since, by relying too close to the comic book material and when the characters' became too comic book. But with Carl Grimes written off the show and now Andrew Lincoln leaving as Rick, plus a new showrunner, it has a chance to veer away from the comic book source material and really exist on its own merits again.
You really should put this as a spoiler being that I have not seen the latest season and could be potentially spoiling it for others as well

Last edited by a moderator:

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017

The leftovers was an incredible show that many people dont even know about.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad