TV for the World Juniors

clevelandcane

Dec 30, 2011
Ohio
I have heard that the US games are all on the NHL Network along with other select games for other countries. My question is this, what is the best way to stream the NHL Network in the US?

I have read that Sling has the NHL Network (orange or blue package). Can I just get this for a month? Will the games be live on Sling or do they delay them a day? I thought Sling did this with their live TV.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks!

Last edited:

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I have heard that the US games are all on the NHL Network along with other select games for other countries. My question is this, what is the best way to stream the NHL Network in the US?

I have read that Sling has the NHL Network (orange or blue package). Can I just get this for a month? Will the games be live on Sling or do they delay them a day? I thought Sling did this with their live TV.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks!

I’ve bought sling for the World Under 18’s. What I did was buy the minimum that had NHL Network, bought the DVR service that came along with it, and then cancelled it after the tournament. There were no problems with cancelling it after.

NorCalhockey

Jan 6, 2017
Always popular in Canada but this year expect the ratings, which are huge at the worst of times, to be thru the roof.
No kidding. Since there's very little competitive hockey being played at a high level, TSN should do pretty well. Alas, hockey is still not where the NHL would like it in the US, so I don't think the NHL Network will see any significant ratings bump. Oh, and if the US gets knocked out before the medal rounds, fuhgeddabuit. Well, except I watch all the top teams, not just USA. I also like Cinderella stories - up to a point. If a Denmark or Germany knocks out USA I won't be so happy about that! :eek:

The only reason I still have the highest level of cable package is for the NHL Network. If not for that, I'd be 1-2 tiers below platinum or whatever they call it. Also, THANK GOODNESS NHL Network uses TSN for the non-US games.

I hope TSN doesn't lose the rights to the WJC for a long time. I like their coverage (understandably, very Canadian-centric though) full stop - in no particular order:
* the guys/gals that do the broadcast (Duthy, Bobby Mac, Laura Daykin etc.)
* the music (I know it's WJC time whenever I hear it)
* the opening graphics

Reactions: Faterson

NorCalhockey

Jan 6, 2017
This is a little off-topic, but still WJC related.
When Russia had that EPIC comeback in the Gold Medal game in Buffalo (sorry Canada, I was rooting for you), one of the attorneys I worked with who is originally from Russia told me he was listening to Russian radio and they were reporting on their conquering heroes coming back to Russia. The attorney told me Putin met them at the airport, and that the kids were SO drunk they were kicked off their original flight back home and had to take another flight. :laugh:

In this same firm, another attorney who's originally from Canada (he's a Newfie) told me that even though he became a naturalized American (and has an American wife and 2 American born kids) he still roots for Canada over USA. Guess you can take the boy out of Canada but you can't take the Canada outta the boy! :DD

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
This is a little off-topic, but still WJC related.
When Russia had that EPIC comeback in the Gold Medal game in Buffalo (sorry Canada, I was rooting for you), one of the attorneys I worked with who is originally from Russia told me he was listening to Russian radio and they were reporting on their conquering heroes coming back to Russia. The attorney told me Putin met them at the airport, and that the kids were SO drunk they were kicked off their original flight back home and had to take another flight. :laugh:

In this same firm, another attorney who's originally from Canada (he's a Newfie) told me that even though he became a naturalized American (and has an American wife and 2 American born kids) he still roots for Canada over USA. Guess you can take the boy out of Canada but you can't take the Canada outta the boy! :DD

No idea about Putin but I certainly remember that the Russian team was kicked off the plane. Understandable on their part.

Let me put your mind at ease. In January TSN signed an extension for the rights to Hockey Canada content through 2033-34!

My god that's a long extension. No complaints or anything but I'm surprised that Hockey Canada agreed to something so long. TSN does a good job with international hockey content.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
My god that's a long extension. No complaints or anything but I'm surprised that Hockey Canada agreed to something so long. TSN does a good job with international hockey content.
TSN built the WJR's franchise into what it is so I can see why HC would want to reward TSN - agree, it is a long extension. TSN, of course, would hate to lose it.

Reactions: Ghetty Green

NorCalhockey

Jan 6, 2017
Nothing to do with TSN but I would love to see a WJR's that was 100% outdoors.

I don't think I will EVER forget that one round robin game between Canada & USA in Buffalo in what looked like a snowstorm! That was a heck of a game. Although...with climate change, I wonder how that will affect conditions like that in the years to come.

barriers

Feb 10, 2020
I don't think I will EVER forget that one round robin game between Canada & USA in Buffalo in what looked like a snowstorm! That was a heck of a game. Although...with climate change, I wonder how that will affect conditions like that in the years to come.

I remember that game taking about 5 hours to complete and the constant interruptions for snow clearing more than anything. Also, didn't Canada win Gold that year? That was the Lias Andersson throwing his silver medal in the crowd year. I am curious what year the Russian party plane was.

edit: Forgot that Buffalo has hosted twice in the last decade. Russia won gold in 2011, Canada in 2018

Last edited:

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
I'm not sure where it could be held but, again, I would love to see an entire WJR's played out doors. Of course, global warming doesn't help.

Also, I'm not sure what kind of crowd size you get for an outdoor rink. Maybe, one day, a European city will have to cancel on short notice and a northern Canadian city will step up but hold the whole thing outdoors. Maybe.

NorthStar

Dec 24, 2004
Winnipeg, MB
cant wait for the World Juniors tourny.. always enjoyed seeing all games and more.. cool jerseys and etc but as usual hooting hard for Team Canada.. and if only I could see Team Ukraine there (I'm Ukrainian by heritage but 100% Canadian) it would be a great thing.. I'm sure Ukraine has appeared in the WJHC before and I do remember Ukraine in the World Hockey Championships one time...

Garyboy

Oct 31, 2010
Toronto
Always popular in Canada but this year expect the ratings, which are huge at the worst of times, to be thru the roof.

I don’t know. The hardcores will definitely still be on board, but I think they’ll lose a ton of the fair weather fans when they see the empty arenas with the atmosphere of a men’s league game on a Tuesday night at Chesswood. I think we’ll see record low ratings as a result.

Reactions: Gabe MacAntanen

NorthStar

Dec 24, 2004
Winnipeg, MB
I don’t know. The hardcores will definitely still be on board, but I think they’ll lose a ton of the fair weather fans when they see the empty arenas with the atmosphere of a men’s league game on a Tuesday night at Chesswood. I think we’ll see record low ratings as a result.

Ya might be right.. it's possible but will see how it goes.. I know for sure I will watch the games just to pass time and enjoy everything.. Im used to seeing empty arenas as well for the recent NHL season so I assume the same thing will happen for the WJHC till the 2022 WJHC which might have some fans in there but possibly could be limited numbers..

clevelandcane

Dec 30, 2011
Ohio
I'd love to have the fans there but in all reality it won't impact me one iota. I cannot wait! I took two weeks off and this is the main reason.

Reactions: novisor

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->