Tv Coverage Rant thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
nneate said:
Pretty disappointed with CBC today, missed all of the great action in a Sweden/Russia game after showing us the first period, and having the whole game scheduled to be shown on their site, only to cut it out 4 minutes into the second.

I will be hunting my satellite for this NBC everyone is raving about, I guess I can't rely on good old Canadian television. Then again, I havn't had much praise for CBC lately anyways, showing a ******* leafs game every saturday night, whether it fits the 7:00 start time or not.

Just a heads up: if you are looking for hockey coverage on your satellite, you do NOT want NBC, you want MSNBC. It's NBC's cable news channel and it's where most of the hockey is being shown. some games are also on the USA Network, which is another NBC subsidiary.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
This is why NHL'ers shouldn't be at the olympics. They overshadow all the real amateur athletes. Go back to the way it was....I'd rather watch Canada win bronze and two silvers then Russia Sweden and I am the biggest hockey fan.

MissCanuck

Apr 26, 2004
Quebec
Olympics are for the best athletes in the world, right? Right. Why shouldn't NHL'ers be allowed to represent their country?

Jorge Garcia

Dec 9, 2004
mymkovski said:
Sure it was Skeleton. But there are other Canadian athlete we don't hear about ever. This is their stage, their time to represent their country.

They don't wanna be on TV. People will find out the government is paying them to go tobogganing, for cryin' out loud. Then after paying for their multiple trips to fabulous winter resorts, we taxpayers have to watch them slide down their icy tube while we miss a good hockey game. Luge is just as stupid, but at least they crash once in a while.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
Jorge Garcia said:
They don't wanna be on TV. People will find out the government is paying them to go tobogganing, for cryin' out loud. Then after paying for their multiple trips to fabulous winter resorts, we taxpayers have to watch them slide down their icy tube while we miss a good hockey game. Luge is just as stupid, but at least they crash once in a while.
Go slide off a cliff bud. I may even fund you to do it.

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
Jason MacIsaac said:
Best amateur athletes

This myth again? Very few sports in the Olympics have true amateurs. Most of them are either outright proffesionals (such as the skiiers) or they get sponsorship cash. Not being a member of a North American "big 4" sports league does not automatically mean you are an amateur.

thenextone

Mar 19, 2005
New York City
NBC has 4 channels devoted to this. CBC has one

This is another reason why we should never allow the CBC to get another Olympics. Thank god for CTV/Sportsnet next time

KariyaIsGod*

Namso said:
CBC has to have one of the worst coverages. Seriously, skeleton?? and THE FIRST HEAT???? that's more important than russia-sweden??? awful but hey i didn't expect anything good out of that channel.

Canadian athletes are more important than Russian or Swedish athletes to the average Canadian...

What do you expect?

MeatTornado

I was born ready
Oct 25, 2004
Vancouver
I for one am getting really sick of listening to Bob Cole and Harry Neale, those dinosaurs are so tedious to listen to. Jim Hughson and *sigh* Greg Millen are way more entertaining , and much more insightful.

Pepper

Aug 30, 2004
Jason MacIsaac said:
Best amateur athletes

Get real, all the top athletes in ski jumping, cross-country skiing, alpine skiing etc. are full-time professional athletes.

Pay attention dude.

X0ssbar

dok101 said:
Are you kidding me? We have coverage of practically every minute of every single hockey game and you are crying about this. Some people will always find something to complain about. :shakehead

:clap:

NBC's coverage has been above and beyond anything I expected. I love the Universal HD feed.

octopi

Dec 29, 2004
MissCanuck said:
So if you have RDS, they're showing the Sweden vs Russia game now.
2nd period, Kovalev just scored...

Unfortunatly, I didn't see your post until about 10 minutes ago. End result? I ran downstairs, and...guess what, caught the last five minutes of the third period. So I saw....about 90 extra seconds.

Now, not only did I miss all the goals, I've got that Alanis Morrisette song "Isn't it ironic?" stuck in my head. Oh well, RDS is doing some more Olympic highlights later....maybe I'll see it then...

Quiet Robert

Feb 3, 2005
DrMoses said:
Canadian athletes are more important than Russian or Swedish athletes to the average Canadian...

What do you expect?

I disagree with this. Hockey is our national sport and I'm pretty sure most people would rather watch a good hockey game, even if Canada isn't playing than stuff like figure skating or luge.

I say just show the hockey games and if Canada does well in some other event show it on delay. Imo more people are interested in hockey than watching the 1st heat of the 5000m speed skating competition.

Mr Kanadensisk

May 13, 2005
mymkovski said:
Sorry to burst your bubble...but the Olympics are more than just hockey, especially Non-Canadian hockey games...

If anything, I've been impressed with CBC's coverage of the hockey. They've given it a lot of face time on the TV. It's a huge balancing act.

Sure it was Skeleton. But there are other Canadian athlete we don't hear about ever. This is their stage, their time to represent their country.

Then let some other channel like NHL centre ice carry the games in their entirety. I've got no problem with them showing luge, I just won't watch it!

Mr Kanadensisk

May 13, 2005
gobert said:
I for one am getting really sick of listening to Bob Cole and Harry Neale, those dinosaurs are so tedious to listen to. Jim Hughson and *sigh* Greg Millen are way more entertaining , and much more insightful.

I agree, they are terrible at covering international games. There was absolutley zero excitement in his voice, even during the great scoring chances.

CBC's coverage SUCKS!

Lepi

Dec 5, 2005
I am totally dissapointed at some of the posts in this thread. Hockey is one sport in the olympics. These athletes have worked their butt off for the last 4 years to show what they can do. CBC has done an excellent job at making sure that all athletes representing the maple leaf get some kind of coverage. To the families and friends of these athletes who couldnt make it to the games, it means a lot (i know this) To those who are Canadian and are watching CBC the answer is simple, a skeleton competition with a canadian being represented is MUCH more important then a russia sweden hockey game. Those who said it was the "1st heat", should know their is only 2 heats in the skeleton and also the russia sweden game was a "round robin" game so it means even less.

Come on guys, gotta respect the great coverage of the Olympics

illogic

Apr 12, 2005
Quiet Robert said:
I disagree with this. Hockey is our national sport and I'm pretty sure most people would rather watch a good hockey game, even if Canada isn't playing than stuff like figure skating or luge.

Most hockey fans, yes. Most people, probably not. Especially when you mention figure skating which has a huge following.

Mace_37

Nov 27, 2005
Canada
I was glad to see that I missed the third period to watch our male figure skaters. I mean really, is that not why everyone watches the winter olympics?
But I liked how on the power play they showed the whole play from a camera behind the net. I think that's a really good idea, it makes the game a lot more intense.

SammyTheBull

Dec 1, 2005
I don't mind CBC showing when our athletes win two silver medals and a bronze in one sitting, going on one more bronze. :clap:

Mace_37

Nov 27, 2005
Canada
SammyTheBull said:
I don't mind CBC showing when our athletes win two silver medals and a bronze in one sitting, going on one more bronze. :clap:

What about the figure skaters who they say before they even skate "This guy is good, but he's known for making huge mistakes" which translates to "He doesn't stand a chance". Then why am I watching him instead of hockey?

LannysStach

Thou shall
Dec 13, 2004
NYC & Toronto
i lived in the States for the last Olympics, and MSNBC coverage was GREAT! virtually every game live and complete.

i pay for digital cable up here which includes MSNBC, and the CBC has blocked it out. that's my outrage. broadcast what you choose on CBC, but do not deny the rest of us coverage that is happeneing elsewhere. and that we've paid for.

thanks for that CBC link above. i used it, hope others do too. flood em and maybe they'll get the TSN synched in before this happens for the rest of the tournament.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->