TV contract with VS?

puckMAN

Dec 28, 2004
North St Paul
Dumb question I should know,when does the contract with VS end?Was it a 2 year deal?I keep reading about how the NHL needs to go back to ESPN,but I never see a time table.Would that be for the 07-08 season or 08-09 season or even longer down the line.

kdb209

Jan 26, 2005
VS. exercised its option for 07-08 already.
And there are options for three more years - and both Versus and the NHL have given every indication that they expect them to be exercised.

This has been discussed in multiple threads in the past:

kdb209 said:
Versus has excercised it's option for next season, and has come to agreement with the NHL on options for the following three seasons.

There are several threads on the BoH board.

Initial reports from MultiChannelNews:

http://www.multichannel.com/article/CA6410619.html

Amid flat national ratings and sliding regional numbers, Comcast will remain in the rink with the National Hockey League into the next decade.

Comcast’s Versus network will televise national NHL games through 2011 after exercising an option to air the 2007-08 season and picking up the rights to three additional campaigns.

“We’ll definitely have the third season, and we’ll have [the NHL] for six years,†said Versus president Gavin Harvey, who declined to discuss deal terms. “We’re looking forward to season three on Versus.â€

Sources close to Versus said the 71 million-subscriber network exercised a $72.5 million option for the 2007-08 campaign and then extended its pact for three more seasons at an undisclosed price.
Bettman later clarified in an interview that the 3 additional years have not yet been officially pcked up - the option dates are staggered, but there is no likely reason that they will not be picked up.

For more info see the thread on the BoH board:

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=346079

Kenadyan

Jul 23, 2003
Asheboro, NC
Visit site
Dumb question I should know,when does the contract with VS end?Was it a 2 year deal?I keep reading about how the NHL needs to go back to ESPN,but I never see a time table.Would that be for the 07-08 season or 08-09 season or even longer down the line.

Hopefully never.

ESPN treated the NHL like ****. I hope the NHL never goes back to ESPN. It would never get the coverage it should.

ESPN has MLB, NBA, NFL, College football, NASCAR, and World Series of Poker contracts that would supercede any contract it would have with the NHL.

**** ESPN!!!

Hopefully VS continues to grow (it is now at 71 millions homes) so that it will be just as available as ESPN on all cable/satellite providers and continues to treat the NHL as the crown jewel of it's network.

OG6ix

Apr 11, 2006
Toronto
ESPN treated the NHL just like any one of the sports they had.

So what if they put it on ESPN 2? That's better than VS.

xDerekRx

Apr 2, 2007
Buffalo, NY
Go back to ESPN. An NHL exec was quoted as saying the NHL needs to get off VS and back on ESPN. I wonder if we see this option fooled with in recent years.

If the NHL could somehow do something like the NBA does with TNT and ESPN. Basically get 20 mil instead of 70 from VErsus and give them some playoffs and regular season but give ESPN games as well for profit sharing. This way you still get a decent chunk form Versus but the exposure from ESPN.

In fact the game being exposed on ESPN might draw more people to Versus and could be a win win for NHL and Versus.

People just need to see ESPN 2nite, you just need to be heard of every other day by accident. Thats all.

Sydney Crosby needs to be heard about and things will fall into place.

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
ESPN treated the NHL just like any one of the sports they had.

So what if they put it on ESPN 2? That's better than VS.

I have never recalled host of a show holding up newspapers when when the subject of any other sport (whether ESPN carried it or not) came up. But I do recall that happening several times happening on ESPN when the NHL came up on one of their talking head shows when ESPN had the NHL rights. So no they did not treat the NHL like any of the other sports they had. What good is the extra distribution if the network is just going to essential tell it's viewers not to watch?

Art

Aug 2, 2005
Does anyone know if the VS deal is exclusive?

ESPN2 does a good job with the MLS game of the week. The NHL ought to look into a similar setup.

Tekneek

Nov 28, 2004
I'd rather it not go back to ESPN, unless the league can continue to make sure that some games will still be streamed live on the Internet. That has probably been the best part about the VS deal, yet doesn't get much play here or elsewhere. Even when/if they go back to ESPN, I hope they make sure that a few games a week (at least) continue to be freely available over the web. ESPN will want to bury the league on ESPN2 and then try to keep the 'streaming rights' tied into ESPN360 to help them build that up. That would not be better than the current arrangement.

Sure, ESPN/ESPN2 is in more homes, but why would you do business with a network that will make fun of your league in their nightly sports recap show (SportsCenter)? That's a tough call, especially if ESPN is not the highest bidder for your product either.

NJFlyer42

Mar 3, 2006
South Jersey
For those of you still clamoring for ESPN, see the story below from Deadspin.com. THIS is the type of treatment the NHL would get on ESPN.

So, you flip to ESPN2 at gametime, ready for some soccer ... and ESPN has decided to crosspromote instead. Off Wing Opinion tells the tale.

I was channel surfing when I saw that ESPN 2 was scheduled to show its regular Thursday night MLS match. I figured it wouldn't be a bad way to spend the evening. Then again, ESPN has other ideas. When I clicked on ESPN 2, what I got was the pre-game show for Game One of the NBA Finals. The following was running on the crawl at the bottom of the screen:

"You are watching the first few minutes of ABC's coverage of game 1 of the NBA Finals. For complete game coverage, tune to your local ABC station. Major League Soccer: Colorado Rapids vs. Houston Dynamo can be seen at the conclusion of NBA coverage."

That's right: ESPN preempted live event coverage to show promotional programming that was already running live on another network. It's not like another game ran late or something; they just decided they'd rather try to get you to watch the NBA than let you watch the MLS. (And this was the same pregame coverage that was on ABC!) Whatever your thoughts on the MLS ... that's pretty harsh.

Cirris

Nov 10, 2006
Crackport
For those of you still clamoring for ESPN, see the story below from Deadspin.com. THIS is the type of treatment the NHL would get on ESPN.

So, you flip to ESPN2 at gametime, ready for some soccer ... and ESPN has decided to crosspromote instead. Off Wing Opinion tells the tale.

I was channel surfing when I saw that ESPN 2 was scheduled to show its regular Thursday night MLS match. I figured it wouldn't be a bad way to spend the evening. Then again, ESPN has other ideas. When I clicked on ESPN 2, what I got was the pre-game show for Game One of the NBA Finals. The following was running on the crawl at the bottom of the screen:

"You are watching the first few minutes of ABC's coverage of game 1 of the NBA Finals. For complete game coverage, tune to your local ABC station. Major League Soccer: Colorado Rapids vs. Houston Dynamo can be seen at the conclusion of NBA coverage."

That's right: ESPN preempted live event coverage to show promotional programming that was already running live on another network. It's not like another game ran late or something; they just decided they'd rather try to get you to watch the NBA than let you watch the MLS. (And this was the same pregame coverage that was on ABC!) Whatever your thoughts on the MLS ... that's pretty harsh.

Hense why MLS should seek a deal with Versus as well. at least Versus won't treat you like old ripped underwear, only to be used when nothing else is available.

xDerekRx

Apr 2, 2007
Buffalo, NY
NO NO NO. You guys dont get it. MLS isnt even half the popularity as the NHL no matter how hard that might be to believe. MLS ratings are in the 0.1 to 0.2 range. Maybe they did that to drive up MLS awareness? who knows?

But the truth is ESPN likes hockey. I eat sleep and breathe ESPN because even though NHL is my favorite sport, I love college sports, baseball and so forth. I find that Sportscenters most popular hosts are hockey fanatics. Linda Cone and Bucci regularly stand out. Not to mention of all the sports segmant hosts, Barry Melrose might be the most memorable if you are watching SC at night by accident or whatever.

So ESPN doesnt hate hockey and it wouldnt burry it. There are too many people that work for the network, Cone, Buccie, Levy, that would make sure stuff gets done in a decent respect. I dont think it would be a problem. Better than Versus. I bet they do NHL 2nite as well, something Versus doesnt even do, that post game garbage doesnt even come close to what NHL 2nite was.

And dont forget, if they did get the NHL, 50% of the loudmouths on radio and PTI and otherwise would think twice about saying negative things about the NHL, they only do so now because they can. I think youd see alot more talk and positive spins on the sport. To be honest Around the Horn, PTI and Jim Rome all did a great job talking about the Cup this week, usually the first two shows bash the sport but youll find that Around the Horns Tim Caldishaw always reps the sport, Wilbon, the black guy, on PTI reps the sports and Jim Rome is a hockey guy to begin with...

Spydey629

Jan 28, 2005
Carlisle, PA
NO NO NO. You guys dont get it. MLS isnt even half the popularity as the NHL no matter how hard that might be to believe. MLS ratings are in the 0.1 to 0.2 range. Maybe they did that to drive up MLS awareness? who knows?

But the truth is ESPN likes hockey. I eat sleep and breathe ESPN because even though NHL is my favorite sport, I love college sports, baseball and so forth. I find that Sportscenters most popular hosts are hockey fanatics. Linda Cone and Bucci regularly stand out. Not to mention of all the sports segmant hosts, Barry Melrose might be the most memorable if you are watching SC at night by accident or whatever.

So ESPN doesnt hate hockey and it wouldnt burry it. There are too many people that work for the network, Cone, Buccie, Levy, that would make sure stuff gets done in a decent respect. I dont think it would be a problem. Better than Versus. I bet they do NHL 2nite as well, something Versus doesnt even do, that post game garbage doesnt even come close to what NHL 2nite was.

And dont forget, if they did get the NHL, 50% of the loudmouths on radio and PTI and otherwise would think twice about saying negative things about the NHL, they only do so now because they can. I think youd see alot more talk and positive spins on the sport. To be honest Around the Horn, PTI and Jim Rome all did a great job talking about the Cup this week, usually the first two shows bash the sport but youll find that Around the Horns Tim Caldishaw always reps the sport, Wilbon, the black guy, on PTI reps the sports and Jim Rome is a hockey guy to begin with...

Sorry to burst your bubble...

Linda Cohn was in Pittsburgh, doing ESPN Play-by-play for the NCAA Women's Tournament. I was a volunteer, working the floor for all the games, and I got a chance to talk to her for a couple minutes.

The biggest direct quote from her: "They (the producers) HATE hockey."

I got the impression from her that it will be a long, long time before NHL pucks get dropped on the 4-Letter Network again. While I would prefer to see VS. for the long-haul and a "Game of the Week" on ESPN or ESPN2, it just doesn't seem to be in the near future whatsoever.

puck57

Dec 21, 2004

:biglaugh::biglaugh: You are DEFINITELY not listening or seeing the same ESPN that I have on my tv and radio.

Stevedude530

Dec 21, 2005
Who wouldn't be shocked that if VERSUS added a third game each week and a national highlight show every night, that Levy, Bucci, Cohn and Melrose would all jump over to VERSUS.

puck57

Dec 21, 2004
Who wouldn't be shocked that if VERSUS added a third game each week and a national highlight show every night, that Levy, Bucci, Cohn and Melrose would all jump over to VERSUS.

The only one who MIGHT jump to Versus would be Melrose because he is a pure hockey guy- the others are journalists who are not going to leave their comfy jobs with lots of $$$ to go to Versus. They would have left ESPN a long time ago if they were truly that upset with hockey's treatment at ESPN.

Stevedude530

Dec 21, 2005
I e-mailed Bucci a while ago. He said he might, if the right offer came along.

His contract wasn't up till this year.

puck57

Dec 21, 2004
I e-mailed Bucci a while ago. He said he might, if the right offer came along.

His contract wasn't up till this year.

Buccigross is not leaving ESPN and the money and perks and security he gets along the way- it would have to be a hugh offer for him or the other sports journalists to jump ship- don't hold your breath.

ckg927

Apr 2, 2007
Buffalo, NY
So it looks like the NHL and Versus are going to be dancing with each other for 3 more seasons.

I agree with most of you folks...the NHL should NEVER go back to ESPN. Jay Greenberg's column in the latest Hockey News noted that ESPN told the league that it was going to be stashed on ESPN2 exclusively...only after it agreed to pay the production costs. That's enough of a reason for me to say no,thanks.

If Versus doesn't work out,here's who I'd LIKE to see get the contract:USA Network.

Before you think I've lost my mind,hear me out.

USA is part of NBC Universal,and NBC already has the NHL rights. USA does run sports programming(and for a number of years in the 1980s,aired NHL games on the then fledgling network). What USA should do is select 2 nights(Friday and Saturday,just as an example;another date can be substituted for Friday if you want),and then do 2 games each night(1 east coast-based game,and one on the west coast). Ensure that you have a good plate of games on each night to pick the 2 that are the most compelling(and DEFINITELY do this during the run to the playoffs)and that are the least boring to the audience. Make sure that the games get cross-promoted across all NBC Universal channels(and that includes NBC).

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Bettman's great white whale of a U.S. TV contract simply isn't going to be harpooned.

The league would be best served by whatever TV deal puts the product in front of the most eyeballs. Whether each team gets $2mil or $4mil from a national contract won't make a significant difference.

puck57

Dec 21, 2004
As I just mentioned on another thread, I think they should concentrate on regional tv coverage for the near future since we will be stuck with Versus in the short term- next 5 years or so. Hopefully, Versus can expand to more cable providers in the meantime and with Center Ice whose prices have stayed pretty stable that will have to do- 10 yrs. from now who knows if something can be done with the marketing of Crosby, AO and some others- maybe another network will come along.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->