TV audience for All Star games in USA

GindyDraws

I will not disable my Adblock, HF
Mar 13, 2014
Indianapolis
Let's be honest; nobody's gonna watch the MLS All-Stars (especially if fans feel extreme bias if the starting team is heavily skewed with LAFC, LA Galaxy, and Atlanta United players) take on a more popular team that is treating this as a friendly and aren't going to treat it seriously, but Major League Soccer will continue this formula since they do not have hope that a more traditional East vs. West (in spite of having 24, with 26 teams next year) format would draw even half of those views on a bad year. I am even more surprised that the WNBA All-Star game drew half a million, given the poor reputation WNBA games have when it comes to social media and that the league still struggles to get in footing as both a competitive outlet for sports in what is typically dead time for the sports market and as an outlet for women athletics.

I'm surprised the Pro Bowl wasn't listed. That's typically referred to as the joke of the Big Four given that players will skip after a few invites and the quality is terrible as nobody wants to risk injury. I still say the Pro Bowl should be a flag football style game given that there are no stakes, so seeing players in full gear and having to perform contact tackles (even though most don't bother) is ludicrous. The MLB & NBA All-Star games will always be the hallmark of their seasons, given that the MLB game tends to be fun and the NBA game is a test to see if teams can reach 200 points.

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
Thats actually better than what I suspected the NHL would be at.

I am surprised at how low the NBA ratings are considering how much that ASG and weekend is hyped up every year. I figured they would be around 8-10 million.

varsaku

Feb 14, 2014
United States
I’m a die hard MLS fan and watch a ton of games. But even I didn’t tune into the All-Star game. It is mainly an event for the hosting city than anything. Also Athletico Madrid lacked the star power that other European teams have.

Reactions: Ghetty Green

donghabs98

Oct 14, 2010
Halifax
I wonder what the numbers were for each league's skills competition? Personally, its the one event that I tune into during the weekend festivities.

Reactions: Coinneach

eddygee

Mar 12, 2018
Thats actually better than what I suspected the NHL would be at.

I am surprised at how low the NBA ratings are considering how much that ASG and weekend is hyped up every year. I figured they would be around 8-10 million.

Let's be honest; nobody's gonna watch the MLS All-Stars (especially if fans feel extreme bias if the starting team is heavily skewed with LAFC, LA Galaxy, and Atlanta United players) take on a more popular team that is treating this as a friendly and aren't going to treat it seriously, but Major League Soccer will continue this formula since they do not have hope that a more traditional East vs. West (in spite of having 24, with 26 teams next year) format would draw even half of those views on a bad year. I am even more surprised that the WNBA All-Star game drew half a million, given the poor reputation WNBA games have when it comes to social media and that the league still struggles to get in footing as both a competitive outlet for sports in what is typically dead time for the sports market and as an outlet for women athletics.

I'm surprised the Pro Bowl wasn't listed. That's typically referred to as the joke of the Big Four given that players will skip after a few invites and the quality is terrible as nobody wants to risk injury. I still say the Pro Bowl should be a flag football style game given that there are no stakes, so seeing players in full gear and having to perform contact tackles (even though most don't bother) is ludicrous. The MLB & NBA All-Star games will always be the hallmark of their seasons, given that the MLB game tends to be fun and the NBA game is a test to see if teams can reach 200 points.

I’m a die hard MLS fan and watch a ton of games. But even I didn’t tune into the All-Star game. It is mainly an event for the hosting city than anything. Also Athletico Madrid lacked the star power that other European teams have.

Ratings: HOF Game, MLS All-Stars, Sr. British Open
Just to correct the record the OPS numbers were off the MLS ALL STAR game averaged 808,000 on US TV this past year down but not the number he posted.

The MLS All-Star Game averaged 808,000 viewers across UniMas, Univision Deportes Network and FS1, down 15% from last year on UniMas/UDN and ESPN (947K), and down 58% from 2017 on Univision/UDN and FS1 (1.90M). The combined audience was the smallest for the game since 2013 (616K).

Though down overall, viewership increased on UniMas and UDN, which averaged 626,000 (+26%). It was the third-most watched MLS All-Star Game on the Univision family of networks, behind only 2017 (1.48M) and 2011 (
665K).
FS1 chipped in just 182,000 viewers for its coverage, down 60% from last year (452K), down 57% from 2017 (420K), and the smallest audience for the game on any network in at least a decade.
Despite the decline, Wednesday’s match topped the recent WNBA All-Star Game on ABC (508K). Keep in mind the game was delayed nearly 45 minutes due to inclement weather.

Last edited:
Reactions: varsaku

royals119

Jun 12, 2006
West Lawn, PA
Ratings: HOF Game, MLS All-Stars, Sr. British Open
Just to correct the record the OPS numbers were off the MLS ALL STAR game averaged 808,000 on US TV this past year down but not the number he posted.
The original post does say "English" audience, so probably not incorrect, just different, since your numbers include Spanish Language broadcasts. Why the tweet only included English language broadcasts I don't know. Was it to make soccer look bad, by eliminating a large percentage of their audience, or because certain advertisers don't feel the Spanish language audience fits their marketing demographics, or just because they didn't have the numbers from the Spanish language stations?

eddygee

Mar 12, 2018
The original post does say "English" audience, so probably not incorrect, just different, since your numbers include Spanish Language broadcasts. Why the tweet only included English language broadcasts I don't know. Was it to make soccer look bad, by eliminating a large percentage of their audience, or because certain advertisers don't feel the Spanish language audience fits their marketing demographics, or just because they didn't have the numbers from the Spanish language stations?

There's alot of people who aren't native spanish speakers who watch the games on Univision because the games are called more exciting and they have a SAP function for it in English for all MLS matches. OP also said U.S. only. Univision is a US based (Miami) spanish broadcaster. On intentions I'd lean that it was to make the league look bad OP has history of this sort of thing, which is why I posted the article by Paulsen at Sports Media Watch. He had to add the last part about it being down but still beating WNBA because people like OP were posting stuff like the tweet he retweeted here from his Twitter account. Also failed to add there was almost a hour severe weather delay to the game original start time. All things were pertinent to the convo if it was going to be brought up.

Last edited:
Reactions: varsaku

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad