OT: TV and Movie Suggestions for the Self Isolated

Status
Not open for further replies.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Still up...

Watching a movie I have never seen... from 1972...

"Play it again Sam" featuring Woody Allen, Diane Keaton and Tony Roberts...

It's fast paced, clever humor with intermittent slapstick...

I laughed... pay attention... the humor can be obscure for those that don't know historical figures... Casablanca the movie... Bogart and Ingrid Bergman... the timeless classic...

As a young man I was a romantic... wanted to be Bogart... and possibly a little neurotic... not quite as bad as Woody... :laugh:

This movie made Me laugh... because I was laughing at Myself...

Woody Allen is pretty amazing. I was late to his Movie's but once I dug in I became a huge fan (that pivot from Saturday to Friday is vintage Allen :laugh:)

Last edited:
Reactions: John Agar

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Inside Bill's Brain on Netflix is pretty interesting. It's a three part show about Bill Gates.

There is a Manitoba connection there. At the beginning of episode 3, Bill Gates talks about his favourite author, and it is a (now retired) Geography prof from the U of M that I actually had for a course. They interview him which is pretty cool.

I thought Inside Bill's Brain was excellent and I would consider it almost must watch level. That reference to Winnipeg was pretty cool.

Reactions: Royale With Cheese

scelaton

Jul 5, 2012
The Expanse has just been renewed for a 6th and final season:

‘The Expanse’ Renewed For Sixth & Final Season, Cas Anvar Not Returning – Deadline

If you're reading the novels, Season 4 is Ciabola Burn, so I imagine Season 5 will follow Nemesis Games and Season 6 will wrap things up with Babylon's Ashes.
Just caught up with The Expanse. Neither of us is a big science fiction fan but it kept us engaged for hours at a time.
Definitely worth the time and is a novel take on colonialism, which is actually not science or fiction.
Thanks to all who recommended it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gm0ney

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Just finished the Boys. A bit uneven, but looking forward to seeing where it goes. The Dark was good, watch it with subtitles, the dubbed version doesn't work well.
Watching Tails from the Loop now, filmed in Manitoba. Great cinematography.
Do you mean Dark? The German Netflix show? I thought it was strange when Sweden hired Jonas to be a coach for the WJC...

MrBoJangelz71

Jan 14, 2014
Ted Lasso is pretty amazing. It sounded lame when I read about it but it exceeded my expectations and beyond. Just an all around make you feel good type of show. Ted as a coach of the soccer team does stuff that we rage on Maurice for (benching star players, continuing to play aging "struggling on the pitch but good in the room" veteran leadership type players) but in the context of the show it all works. It even has a character who is basically the tv version of Zinger. Highly recommended- it has already been renewed for Season 2 and 3.

I really enjoyed Ted Lasso, second this recommendation.

Reactions: sipowicz

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
3 episodes in with Godless. I’m enjoying so far, I’m a sucker for westerns and this one is very well shot.
Having a bit of trouble getting past Jeff Daniels and Sam Waterston being bad asses though.

Jetsfan79

Jul 12, 2011
Winnipeg, MB
If you're a fan of Cheers and have Canadian itunes. Just brought it. The whole show is on sale right now for 25.00 CAD. Its in HD and not cropped for wide-screen. That's insanely cheep when you consider it runs for over a hundred dollars on Amazon on DVD . Love the show to this day

scelaton

Jul 5, 2012
Two Nordic dramatic Netflix series that I highly recommend, both in their original language with subtitles.

Borgen
--Danish political drama with lots of interesting characters

Trapped- Unique Icelandic cop-mystery thriller. It'll make you feel like it's wintertime, which, after all, is when hockey should be played!

drumzan

#NHLJets
Jul 9, 2011
Two Nordic dramatic Netflix series that I highly recommend, both in their original language with subtitles.

Borgen
--Danish political drama with lots of interesting characters

Trapped- Unique Icelandic cop-mystery thriller. It'll make you feel like it's wintertime, which, after all, is when hockey should be played!
1st season of Trapped was amazing. 2nd season not so much.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
I have watched Yellowstone, The Serpent, re-watched Peaky Blinders Rambo 1, Fury, Aviator, Blood Diamond and about 5 Eastwood movies in the last 3 weeks (been sick).

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I have watched Yellowstone, The Serpent, re-watched Peaky Blinders Rambo 1, Fury, Aviator, Blood Diamond and about 5 Eastwood movies in the last 3 weeks (been sick).

Peaky Blinders is great. It saddens me when new viewers drop out before Alfie Solomons is introduced, although I have to use the English subtitles for his thick cocky accent. Just brilliantly acted by Tom Hardy. It’s a series that keeps getting better as Tom grows his game as the gang steps up in weight class (great character development).

Reactions: 10Ducky10

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
Mayans MC good but a couple weak episodes this season.

started watching Mosquito Coast on Apple TV, pretty good although the reviews say otherwise!

I liked the actor so I was looking forward to it but the mediocre reviews put me off for now. Maybe I'll just take the plunge.

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
That goes without saying. :nod: Anyone watching Gangs of London? My God, the bloodshed in that show would make Tarentino blush. :laugh:

Is it gratuities violence or does it fit? How is the plot. I am not usually into action for the sake of action I am more plot driven 1st and ok with violence 2nd.

The last John Wick sucked for me and I bailed 20 minutes into it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->