OT: TV and Movie Suggestions for the Self Isolated

Status
Not open for further replies.

flyingkiwi

Oct 28, 2014
France
I've been binge watching "Орел и Решка" or "heads or tails. Its a travelling show really popular in Ukraine and Russia. 2 people flip a coin upon arriving to a city. The winner gets the gold card, unlimited spending, the other must make do with $100 US dollars for 2 days. Pretty interesting. I'll post some examples below. Oh and you can put on auto translation if you don't speak russian.
Montreal

Peru

Washington

Sounds pretty cool! I'll check it out.

Reactions: Conflicted Habs fan

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
I just finished watching Mrs. America with Cate Blanchett and wasn't expecting it to be so good. An excellent series - well written and acted. Never boring and quite educational.

It's from earlier this year and kinda flew under the radar for me.

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
I'm intrigued by this one. Can you tell me more about your impressions?
I found it just a highly original and interesting subject. Well acted, well shot and a somewhat educational, one could say sinister look into Hasidic Jewish culture and its relationship with women.

Reactions: scelaton

drumzan

#NHLJets
Jul 9, 2011
I really enjoyed the movie “The Hunt” (2020) on Crave. Great cast. Pretty violent though if you’re not into that sort of thing. Tiny bit of humor to it too.

Reactions: The Fist

MrBoJangelz71

Jan 14, 2014
Watched both seasons of Barry, funny and very good. Excellent casting, but Anthony Carrigan steals the show for me. his character had me in stitches.

"This is my best friend Baurrry".

Reactions: thereturn

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
Ted Lasso is pretty amazing. It sounded lame when I read about it but it exceeded my expectations and beyond. Just an all around make you feel good type of show. Ted as a coach of the soccer team does stuff that we rage on Maurice for (benching star players, continuing to play aging "struggling on the pitch but good in the room" veteran leadership type players) but in the context of the show it all works. It even has a character who is basically the tv version of Zinger. Highly recommended- it has already been renewed for Season 2 and 3.

Reactions: Ggg99 and Ducky10

LucianoBorsato

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
I'm getting caught up on movies that I missed over the last couple of years. Ford vs Ferrari, First Man and Once Upon A Time In Hollywood are all very good.

Just finishing Challenger: The Last Flight on Netflix, I recommend it. Nothing really new revealed about the disaster but lots of footage that I hadn't seen before and new interviews with family and NASA members.

I also recommend Dark Side of the Ring on Crave. Fascinating look into the underbelly of professional wrestling, even if you aren't a wrestling fan you'd probably enjoy it.

nhlpro

Nov 12, 2015
Peg City
I'm getting caught up on movies that I missed over the last couple of years. Ford vs Ferrari, First Man and Once Upon A Time In Hollywood are all very good.

Just finishing Challenger: The Last Flight on Netflix, I recommend it. Nothing really new revealed about the disaster but lots of footage that I hadn't seen before and new interviews with family and NASA members.

I also recommend Dark Side of the Ring on Crave. Fascinating look into the underbelly of professional wrestling, even if you aren't a wrestling fan you'd probably enjoy it.

Dark side of the ring was awesome, but the details about the Owen Hart Tragedy were just horrible and could of been avoided easily.

Reactions: ryerockarola

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
I watched a Netflix movie tonight I had never heard of, and had no expectations of. It was awesome.

I Don't Feel at Home in This World Anymore

Reactions: Ducky10

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
For fans of British crime dramas, Unforgotten on Prime is a hidden gem. You need Britbox to watch it. It stars Nicola Walker from the series River.

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg
I thought Mosul on Netflix was very good. A rare middle east warzone movie without Americans. Subtitles, though.

I've been on a run of watching middle east warzone movies. It turns out there are quite a few. I also enjoyed Beirut, which is more or a period piece, set in the 80s ;)

Reactions: SoCalJetsFan

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
I thought Mosul on Netflix was very good. A rare middle east warzone movie without Americans. Subtitles, though.

I've been on a run of watching middle east warzone movies. It turns out there are quite a few. I also enjoyed Beirut, which is more or a period piece, set in the 80s ;)

Well, you won't want to miss this one then. Middle east warfare AND aliens. How can you go wrong? :nod:

1945b52f-55b3-4c8d-80cf-3e2828eee9ca.jpg

I know it looks schlocky but I actually did sort of enjoy it. Just turn your brain off for a couple of hours. :laugh:

drumzan

#NHLJets
Jul 9, 2011
I watched a Netflix movie tonight I had never heard of, and had no expectations of. It was awesome.

I Don't Feel at Home in This World Anymore
LOVE that movie. I don’t understand how it didn’t get more attention it deserved. If you liked it, I also recommend “Blue Ruin”. It’s the same director Macon Blair. He was also in “The Hunt” that I mentioned a few posts above.

Reactions: lanky

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
I really enjoyed the movie “The Hunt” (2020) on Crave. Great cast. Pretty violent though if you’re not into that sort of thing. Tiny bit of humor to it too.

I loved The Hunt. The great thing about it? No matter where you are on the political spectrum, there will be a character in there that you are happy to see die. :laugh:

Reactions: drumzan

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
I loved The Hunt. The great thing about it? No matter where you are on the political spectrum, there will be a character in there that you are happy to see die. :laugh:
I thought it was a really neat idea but they could have done so much more with it.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012

Also watch Rush if you liked Ford v Ferrari- another great Formula 1 movie.

I wanted to like First Man so much but it didn't do it for me. I am getting kinda sick of the stoic act that Ryan Gosling seems to do in every movie.

drumzan

#NHLJets
Jul 9, 2011
I thought it was a really neat idea but they could have done so much more with it.
I agree. They could’ve (and should’ve) made The Hunt into a series/mini-series/trilogy... something like that. Too much potential to build off in the story.

Reactions: 10Ducky10

drumzan

#NHLJets
Jul 9, 2011
Discovered the movie “Frostbite!” on Tubi and unexpectedly the comedy was well-written for a Canadian movie. It’s filmed in Fernie. Not long into the movie, it’s clearly a giant Kokanee ad. Similar to how McDonald’s fully funded Mac and Me, I’m guessing Kokanee did the same. The alternate title is “The Movie Out Here”, and Kokanee’s slogan is The Beer Out Here. So, easy to make that assumption. The girl from Ginger Snaps is in it. The singer Snow (LOL!). And, bizarrely, Marty McSorley. Similar style movie to Men With Brooms. There’s lots of fart, poop and sex jokes so adjust your expectations accordingly. But it’s worth the watch for a mindless comedy.

RabidOne

Drinking all the beers
Apr 15, 2014
Kelowna
Just finished the Boys. A bit uneven, but looking forward to seeing where it goes. The Dark was good, watch it with subtitles, the dubbed version doesn't work well.
Watching Tails from the Loop now, filmed in Manitoba. Great cinematography.

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
Discovered the movie “Frostbite!” on Tubi and unexpectedly the comedy was well-written for a Canadian movie. It’s filmed in Fernie. Not long into the movie, it’s clearly a giant Kokanee ad. Similar to how McDonald’s fully funded Mac and Me, I’m guessing Kokanee did the same. The alternate title is “The Movie Out Here”, and Kokanee’s slogan is The Beer Out Here. So, easy to make that assumption. The girl from Ginger Snaps is in it. The singer Snow (LOL!). And, bizarrely, Marty McSorley. Similar style movie to Men With Brooms. There’s lots of fart, poop and sex jokes so adjust your expectations accordingly. But it’s worth the watch for a mindless comedy.

It just kills me how often that expression or something similar gets used. Yeah, it was pretty good for a Canadian movie. I've often commented to my wife that I wish they would put this at the start of the movie instead of in the closing credits to forewarn the viewers. :laugh:

Canada-CPTC.jpg

Reactions: drumzan

John Agar

The 4th Hanson Bro'
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Winnipeg, Manitoba
In the middle of watching a movie I haven't seen for years...

History... men were doing men things... wicked sense of humor... drama... courage...

If you haven't seen "The Right Stuff"...

Find a way...

Reactions: ps241

John Agar

The 4th Hanson Bro'
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Still up...

Watching a movie I have never seen... from 1972...

"Play it again Sam" featuring Woody Allen, Diane Keaton and Tony Roberts...

It's fast paced, clever humor with intermittent slapstick...

I laughed... pay attention... the humor can be obscure for those that don't know historical figures... Casablanca the movie... Bogart and Ingrid Bergman... the timeless classic...

As a young man I was a romantic... wanted to be Bogart... and possibly a little neurotic... not quite as bad as Woody... :laugh:

This movie made Me laugh... because I was laughing at Myself...

Reactions: ps241

Royale With Cheese

I Enjoy Bourbon
Nov 24, 2006
Inside Bill's Brain on Netflix is pretty interesting. It's a three part show about Bill Gates.

There is a Manitoba connection there. At the beginning of episode 3, Bill Gates talks about his favourite author, and it is a (now retired) Geography prof from the U of M that I actually had for a course. They interview him which is pretty cool.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->