TV ads in console AAA games

Beau Knows

Mar 4, 2013
Canada
They're gonna try to find a way to get people to watch their ads one way or another. Between ad blockers and cord cutting, younger people just aren't watching that many ads anymore.

Imagine paying for a game, then buying the season pass or whatever, then buying "loot boxes" and watching ads. You'd hope people wouldn't put up with that, but seeing the way some people just throw their money at their screens, I'm sure it the ads will find their way in one day.

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
I swear to f***ing god if i am playing a game and then all of a sudden the game automatically pauses and a ad starts playing, someone is going to get slapped over and over agin.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
I doubt they’d put them in the middle of a mission, but I wouldn’t be surprised at all if it replaced the loading screen, which it already kind of does in some games. With next gen featuring SSDs, though, there won’t be very long loading screens, so they’ll probably prolong it to play a 15-30 second ad. That would be a game I’d never touch. We would need a huge swath of the gaming population to push back on that shit like we saw with Star Wars Battlefront 2 at launch. It would need to be rejected hard immediately or it will become the norm.

Reactions: PeteWorrell

wingsnut19

Apr 9, 2007
I doubt they’d put them in the middle of a mission, but I wouldn’t be surprised at all if it replaced the loading screen, which it already kind of does in some games. With next gen featuring SSDs, though, there won’t be very long loading screens, so they’ll probably prolong it to play a 15-30 second ad. That would be a game I’d never touch. We would need a huge swath of the gaming population to push back on that shit like we saw with Star Wars Battlefront 2 at launch. It would need to be rejected hard immediately or it will become the norm.
If they prolong a loading screen by even 15 seconds to me that is the same as interrupting gameplay. Definitely wouldn't purchase any game that chose to do that.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
If i have to watch some stupid ass ad with John Cena in it inbetween Halo matches or EASHL games then i'm going to lose it.

Reactions: Rodgerwilco

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
The only way it's acceptable is if they offer a free-version of the game that is ad-supported, and the standard $60+ game that is ad-free. We all know this will never happen since many of these games adopted the free-to-play micro-transactions and still charge the typical $60 with premium versions going much higher.

Next thing we know, they are going to have commercials in blu-rays and premium streaming services.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Most of the replies so far seem to be reactions to the headline instead of the actual news.
Business Insider said:
The format offers players in-game rewards in exchange for watching optional 15- to 30-second commercials, which is similar to the ad experience in some mobile games.

The key word is "optional" and, presumably, they'd be accessible from the menus, not things that you'd be bombarded with during gameplay or any other time. I'm not defending it, but it doesn't sound much worse than current microtransaction practices.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
They did that in like NHL 14. You could watch an ad for like a minuscule amount of HUT currency(Coins? Gold? Pucks? WTF they call those things)

Reactions: x Tame Impala

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Most of the replies so far seem to be reactions to the headline instead of the actual news.

The key word is "optional" and, presumably, they'd be accessible from the menus, not things that you'd be bombarded with during gameplay or any other time. I'm not defending it, but it doesn't sound much worse than current microtransaction practices.
That's how the micro-transactions started in sports games. It's the exact reason why those games are garbage now, they just incrementally got worse and worse.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011

I read the first article. It sounds like they’re going with a gentle approach first and then over time, as we get more and more used to ads, make them a normal part of gaming.

“Slippery slope” and all that.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
That's how the micro-transactions started in sports games. It's the exact reason why those games are garbage now, they just incrementally got worse and worse.
I read the first article. It sounds like they’re going with a gentle approach first and then over time, as we get more and more used to ads, make them a normal part of gaming.

“Slippery slope” and all that.

I don't disagree. I was just pointing out the misunderstanding in this thread. People were imagining ads in the middle of gameplay or during loading screens.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
I don't disagree. I was just pointing out the misunderstanding in this thread. People were imagining ads in the middle of gameplay or during loading screens.
NBA 2K has started with unskippable ads in loading screens, where the game will finish loading and you will have to wait for the ad to finish.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
It should just follow the natural progression like sports: TV commercial timeouts, board adds, playing field adds, jersey/equipment adds. I want to see Master Chief done up like a pro European hockey player!

Really though I feel like this isn't the first time they've tried something like this?

GreytWun

Sep 29, 2017
Ontario
They are just testing the waters. Once it’s in the games they will slowly find ways to force the ads somehow.

Frankie Spankie

Feb 22, 2009
Dorchester, MA
It’s shit like this that makes me glad I’m not much of a gamer anymore.
Eh, the problem is AAA gaming, it has been for years and it just continues to get worse. The indie gaming scene is where it's at. You rarely find the bullshit tactics of AAA games to suck every single penny out of you and they actually focus on making great, focused games rather than AAA games that try to appeal to everyone for maximum sales but it's all just good.

Reactions: Papa Francouz

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
I miss the days where EVERY video on the internet did not have ads.

People just accept ads now-a-days. It sucks.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad