Tuukka robs Iafallo with an old school sliding kick save

tny760

Mar 12, 2017
i mean it was a sliding pad stack, it's cool but its not soty

if that kinda stuff won sotys quick would have about 20

Reactions: Ghetty Green

Goose

Apr 18, 2006
I thought it was going to be an NHL 94 style pad stack save.

This was even more impressive, awesome looking save, good reflexes to adjust to the fact the shot was going high when that save style is typically reserved for lower shots.

Why did Toronto trade him for Raycroft.... still gets me.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Cool and all, but he could just have done a normal save with the blocker. Actually, I would say that this left quite a bit of the side unnecessarily open and that's the reason I'm really not into these circus tricks. An overly complicated save that could have been accomplished easier is usually a meh.

holy

2023-2024 Cup CHamps
May 22, 2017
Cool and all, but he could just have done a normal save with the blocker. Actually, I would say that this left quite a bit of the side unnecessarily open and that's the reason I'm really not into these circus tricks. An overly complicated save that could have been accomplished easier is usually a meh.
Sometimes you just gotta stunt tho.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

ijk

Oct 3, 2006
Helsinki, Finland
Very nice save, thanks OP for posting it.

It was nice to see since I’ve always hoped Rask would’ve inherited more flare and theateics from Thomas.

And to those who complain that he could’ve just made a normal save, well, umm... possibly, maybe, but sometimes when you’re playing a fast paced game on a slippery surface, there will arise situations where you just have to act on instinct.

He did that and the end result is a beautiful save.

Burke the Legend

Feb 22, 2012
It's actually a very effective way to make a save. The problem is the goalie is out of it for any follow up, which is why goalies prefer to slide around laterally in butterfly instead.

easton117

Nov 11, 2017
Think he didn’t get a good push left to right so it became yard sale time.

Little lucky, little brilliant.

Fun to watch anyways. Still think he was bored and said f*** it. Let’s see what happens

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
very nice but why did he do it

Not a goalie guru but having watched the replay a couple times, it looks like he reacted pretty late to the pass from Kempe so he really couldn't fully square up to Iafallo 100% and decided a padstack might be the better decision.

Sure, you could say just read and react to the play better and get over sooner but it was a good adjustment.

jonu

Dec 11, 2014
Moon
Not a goalie guru but having watched the replay a couple times, it looks like he reacted pretty late to the pass from Kempe so he really couldn't fully square up to Iafallo 100% and decided a padstack might be the better decision.

Sure, you could say just read and react to the play better and get over sooner but it was a good adjustment.

Speaking from experience, thats also a handy move when the shot is coming high enough to be just under the bar, but too high for you to use the blocker without awkwardness when in butterfly. Also works if you're late since you slide faster when you start windmilling it

Reactions: Filthy Dangles

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad