Tuukka Rask

Discussion in 'NHL Draft - Prospects' started by bruins4777*, Dec 1, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
View Users: View Users
  1. bruins4777*

bruins4777* Guest

I've heard this guy is crazy good. Can anybody give me info on him? How to see highlights? Or anything of the sort?

2. X-SHARKIE

X-SHARKIE Registered User

Home Page:
    He sounds like the next big thing out of Finland. I haven't seen him, and won't untill the WJC's were he well be the Fins starter :)

His hype at the moment is just a tone quieter then Kari Lehtonen's was at this time. If he puts up a monster WJC's like he can, he could go as high as #4.

3. bruins4777*

bruins4777* Guest

Wait...he's a finn? AWSOME!!!! I thought he was a russian :lol

I'm a big finn fan especially their goalies. I hope this guy succeeds i need to see him play. I have an experience that finn prospects, especially goalies, have remarkable poise, which is something i love in young goalies.

4. Eb0la11

Eb0la11 Registered User

lol finnish goalies with Poise? Must be thinking of Kiprusoff... There arent a ton of Finnish Goalies... Kipper and Vesa Toskala are the only notable ones off the top of my head.

5. Winston Wolf

Winston Wolf Registered User

You kidding!? Lehtonen, Toivonen, Kiprusoff, Toskala, Niittymaki, Ahonen, Noronen, etc. all have a very good chance at becoming #1 goaltenders in the NHL. Kiprusoff and Nurminen are already #1s in the NHL. I've also heard that Finland has another 5 or 6 guys who look to be great goaltenders down the line. Finland is topped only by Canada for the future in goal, and I think that's only a matter of time seeing how many excellent young guys they're producing.

6. Dominus

Dominus Believe to see!

I haven't really seen him play very much, but I can give you some info.

He started the season in Ilves' FEL-team as a backup for Juha Pitkämäki. It soon became evident that he wasn't yet ready to play with the big guys, since he had some obvious physical limitations; He was too slow and lacked strenght. Ilves took a huge dive at one point, when they couldn't trust Rask when Pitkämäki was slumping and whole team played ****** defence. Ilves then acquired another backup goalie and now Rask can concentrate on A-junior games alone.

Only time I have seen Rask play this season was on horrible 6-1 defeat against HIFK in Helsinki. Rask was really bad in this game, but so was the whole team. It often looked that he couldn't even make a saving attempt and he seemed quite shaky. He looked like a junior goalie, but then again that's what he is, so... At least he got some experience.

Rask's FEL-stats this season:
    4 games, GAA 4,46, Save% 87,5

Junior A-stats this season:
    11 games, GAA 1,82, Save% 93,75

I haven't seen him play any junior games, but it looks like he's done pretty well. It was too early to try to fit him in with the big guys, but you have to remember he's only 17 and as I said, at least he got some important experience.

7. CRUNK JUICE

CRUNK JUICE Registered User

Teacher
    Home Page:
    Seems like there was a lot of hype about this guy a few months ago (as in he was being mentioned in the same class as Fleury and Lehtonen), and then it died down all of a sudden.
    Is that cause not many of the posters here have a chance to see much of him?
    Also, I remember reading in the newest Redline report that he was the best player by far in a recent U-20 tourney... at age 17.

8. Winston Wolf

I'm sure that the reason he hasn't gotten much hype is that virtually nobody on these boards has really seen him play except for maybe the odd game or two seen by the Finnish posters. I highly doubt the junior league Rask is playing in is regularly broadcasted throughout Finland, (any Finns correct me if I'm wrong) so the only opportunity to see this guy play has been limited to tourneys and in the very limited time he's played in SM-Liiga. Lehtonen got more hype because he was already playing very well in SM-Liiga at the same age, but Lehtonen is/was extremely mature physically and mentally. Rask seems to have great tools, (from what I've read, I've never seen him play) but seems to be lacking in the physical maturity department as he's a little over 6 foot, while being roughly 160 pounds.

He's definitely a prospect I'm going to keep my eye on, as it sounds like it's just a matter of time before he has the physical abilities to show his skills.

9. Dominus

Dominus Believe to see!

You're right. Junior games are not broadcasted at all, except WJCs. I was thinking about going to see HIFK-Ilves A-junior game next wednesday, and I can report back on Rask after that.

10. Winston Wolf

If you attend the game I would definitely appreciate it if you could let us know how Rask looked. I know that I'm not the only one intrigued by Rask's potential and I know that myself and many others here would be grateful if you could shed some light on Rask, as not much information is available about him in North America.

11. Raimo Sillanpää

Raimo Sillanpää Registered User

There's another point to consider too in terms of why the hyp around him has died down.

due to the lockout, there is nothing to focus on, so all that focus has shifted to watching prospects develop. and the media's focusing on North American prospects who have thus become hyped up far more than in normal years, thus the hype around others, although perhaps not fallen, is just less than on the north americans, and thus it seems to have fallen.

Same effect really, what I mean is, no nhl -> hype of NA prospects greater than on Europeans because all the focus is there.

12. Winston Wolf

That's definitely true and conversely, all the focus on European leagues is basically about the NHLers who are playing there, not prospects like usual years.

13. bruins4777*

bruins4777* Guest

interesting.

Thanks for the feedback. From what i see from his stats and what the one person said, i don't think he's near the level of lehtonen. If he was near leht's level then he would be dominating the elite game like lehts did.

However he seems to be good for people his age...which kind of worries me...Meh, I'll just have to wait to see this kid myself. I can't wait. Finnish goalies are such a joy to watch. They always incoporate something different into their game. They are the next quebec goalie factory. niity, lehts, toivenen, nuriminen, toskala, kiprusoft, and others plus more to come.

14. Winston Wolf

It's like comparing apples and oranges right now. Lehtonen had a man's body at the same age, while Rask still has the body of a young teenager. They'll be more easily compared when Rask has matured in a few years. I definitely don't think he'll be as good as Lehtonen, but to write off his obvious high-end potential because he's not dominating one of the top leagues in the world at 17 is pretty misguided.

15. Dominus

Dominus Believe to see!

I went to see HIFK-Ilves A-junior game tonight and saw Rask in action. He was pretty solid and calm, though he wasn't properly tested since HIFK wasn't able to play their best game tonight. Ilves won 4-1 and Rask faced 22 shots.

First period was chaotic. Lots of mistakes from both teams in both ends. Ilves was slightly better and won the period 1-0. Rask made 6 saves, but HIFK didn't really get any good scoring chances.

Second period was mostly boring. HIFK was a bit more dominating and managed to tie the game when there was 5 minutes left in the period. The only goal wasn't Tuukka's fault. HIFK's Miikka Jouhkimainen sent a hard pass from the left side and Lauri Tuohimaa finished the fast attack by directing puck to the right upper corner of the net. Right after this Rask made his only big mistake, but it could have been crucial. He lost the puck behind the net and HIFK was able to score, but the ref indicated that the net had moved. So, no goal and Tuukka was saved. HIFK continued to dominate for a while, and then out of nowhere Ilves scored twice and won the period 2-1. Rask made 9 saves.

Third period was quite entertaining. Players really started skating and even managed to make some good passes, shots and hits. Ilves dominated and had every chance to turn the game into a massacre, but eventually scored only once. At the end of the period HIFK still had their chances, but Rask made a couple of good saves. First Jarkko Oikarinen was 1-on-1 with Rask, no goal. Then a shot from the slot, no goal. Really good and very calm saves from Rask. Ilves won the period 1-0, and the game 4-1. Rask made 6 saves in the third, and 21 overall.

As I said, Rask wasn't really tested tonight, but he was pretty good except for that one huge mistake. He seemed very calm and had a very good rebound control. All in all, he was a completely different guy than the one I saw earlier this season in men's elite league game, where he seemed to be a weak nervous wreck.

16. I.am.ca

I.am.ca Guest

These guys have the craziest names, this and there's that guy Kopitar...imagin the play by play in about 5 years....Malkin takes a shot, Kopitar picks up the rebound and fires a pass to Anshakov....haha

17. Diaboli

Diaboli Registered User

:huh: Rask is Finnish, were as Malkin, Kopitar and Anshakov are Russian.

18. I.am.ca

I.am.ca Guest

ummm...Malkin and Anshakov are penguins prospects..i said FIVE years in the NHL (i'm hoping Kopitar is a Pen in the 2005 draft, if there is a season) so now do you get it?

19. Tume

Tume Registered User

IT
    Actually Anze Kopitar is Slovenian.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.